* Organizing and taming hectic Academia work (faculty viewpoint)? Tips or a good guides sought after :)
@ 2015-06-08 16:39 Xebar Saram
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Xebar Saram @ 2015-06-08 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org mode

Hi all

Im a young assistant professor (in humanities and thus my horrific coding
skills..basically non ;-)) and having been using orgmode for a year or two
now. I love orgmode dearly and use it mainly for note taking, lists etc

I am aware of the fantastic orgmode capabilities that could benefit me
greatly such as exporting, email tie-ins, beamer support, organizing my
bibliography (i have switched to a .bib file recently for my references),
agenda capabilities and so much moreand have tried several of these with
mild success.

unfortunately (and this maybe due to me not being very technical and lack
of coding skills) i still feel like im really not using orgmode to its
potential and still feel miserably lost in terms of organizing my work in
academia from all aspects.

i am looking for 2 things really:
1. as i said in the post topic a good guide if anyone is aware of or
detailed examples of using org in Academia (mainly aimed at faculty :))

2. related to that as a young researcher with multiple students, paper
writing, grant applications, department duties, endless TODOS, endless
email i would really be grateful for even non org specific tips on how
other people organize all this to make life more..well..organized :)

thanks alot in advance and sorry for the long mail

best

* Re: Organizing and taming hectic Academia work (faculty viewpoint)? Tips or a good guides sought after :)
@ 2015-06-08 21:16 ` M
From: M @ 2015-06-08 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Von: Xebar Saram <zeltakc@gmail.com>
> Datum: Mon, 8 Jun 2015 19:39:14 +0300
> An: org mode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
> Betreff: [O] Organizing and taming hectic Academia work (faculty viewpoint)?
> Tips or a good guides sought after :)
>
> Hi all
>
> Im a young assistant professor (in humanities and thus my horrific coding
> skills..basically non ;-)) and having been using orgmode for a year or two
> now. I love orgmode dearly and use it mainly for note taking, lists etc
>
> I am aware of the fantastic orgmode capabilities that could benefit me greatly
> such as exporting, email tie-ins, beamer support, organizing my bibliography
> (i have switched to a .bib file recently for my references), agenda
> capabilities and so much moreand have tried several of these with mild
> success.
>
> unfortunately (and this maybe due to me not being very technical and lack of
> coding skills) i still feel like im really not using orgmode to its potential
> and still feel miserably lost in terms of organizing my work in academia from
> all aspects.
>
> i am looking for 2 things really:
> 1. as i said in the post topic a good guide if anyone is aware of or detailed
> examples of using org in Academia (mainly aimed at faculty :))
>
> 2. related to that as a young researcher with multiple students, paper
> writing, grant applications, department duties, endless TODOS, endless email i
> would really be grateful for even non org specific tips on how other people
> organize all this to make life more..well..organized :)
>
> thanks alot in advance and sorry for the long mail
>
> best

Dear Xebar,

I think the first 10 results of the correspondindg google search already
show some very interesting examples:

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=emacs+org-mode+in+resear
ch&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Did you have a look at those?

Kind regards

Martin

* Re: Organizing and taming hectic Academia work (faculty viewpoint)? Tips or a good guides sought after :)
@ 2015-06-09  5:13   ` Xebar Saram
From: Xebar Saram @ 2015-06-09  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Martin

Thanks so much for your prompt response. I did ofc do an extensive google
research yet found that as can be seen in your link most entries focus on
either writing papers or general bits an pieces .What i am looking for is a
holistic approach regarding organizing all aspects of academic life and to
hear workflows of other colleagues using org for that

thanks again , looking forward to hearing from other colleagues in the
orgmode community

best

@ 2015-06-09  7:00     ` Holger Wenzel
From: Holger Wenzel @ 2015-06-09  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Xebar,

Xebar Saram <zeltakc <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Dear Martin
> Thanks so much for your prompt response. I did ofc do an extensive google
research yet found that as can be seen in your link most entries focus on
either writing papers or general bits an pieces .What i am looking for is a
holistic approach regarding organizing all aspects of academic life and to
hear workflows of other colleagues using org for that

I'd start with:

http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2014/08/08/What-we-are-using-org-
mode-for/

follow John Kitchin's blog there closely and read everything he posts in
this list.

Cheers,

Holger

@ 2015-06-09  9:49 ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2015-06-09  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xebar Saram; +Cc: org mode

On 2015-06-08 18:39, Xebar Saram <zeltakc@gmail.com> writes:

> i am looking for 2 things really:
> 1. as i said in the post topic a good guide if anyone is aware of or detailed
> examples of using org in Academia (mainly aimed at faculty :))
>
> 2. related to that as a young researcher with multiple students, paper
> writing, grant applications, department duties, endless TODOS, endless email i
> would really be grateful for even non org specific tips on how other people
> organize all this to make life more..well..organized :)

I'm in academia and I use org (also not to its full potential). Some
great tips were already given, let me add a couple.

I try to keep notes for every paper that I read. I have found org-ref to
be really useful to keep the links between the notes and the papers
(https://github.com/jkitchin/org-ref).

If you write many letters (for instance recommendation letters), you
might be interested in koma export.
(http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/koma-letter-export.html)

Finally, I have found that one of the biggest pitfalls (for me) in
working in academia is to spend all my time dealing with urgent, but not
necessarily important, things. Following the procrastination matrix (see
http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/03/procrastination-matrix.html for an
entertaining description), I use a "@Q2" tag for things that are
important and not urgent, and I reserve some time to work on them. The
ones I'm currently working on are scheduled, and they are shown in my
custom agenda view using this:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
("q" "Q2 tasks"
 ((agenda
   ""
   ((org-agenda-overriding-header "Q2 Scheduled")
    (org-agenda-skip-function '(org-agenda-skip-entry-if 'notregexp ":@Q2:"))))
  (tags-todo
   "@Q2/!-HOLD-WAITING"
   ((org-agenda-overriding-header "Q2")
    (org-agenda-todo-ignore-deadlines t)
    (org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled t)))))
#+end_src

Best,

Alan

--
OpenPGP Key ID : 040D0A3B4ED2E5C7
Weekly CO₂ average (2015-05-30, Mauna Loa Observatory): 403.41 ppm

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Organizing and taming hectic Academia work (faculty viewpoint)? Tips or a good guides sought after :)
@ 2015-06-09 13:21       ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2015-06-09 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Holger Wenzel; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

you might also enjoy our youtube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgizHHd7nOo

And this one on using org-mode in teaching:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsSMs-4GlT8&list=FLQp2VLAOlvq142YN3JO3y8w

and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRUCiF2MwP4

See http://github.com/jkitchin/jmax for my Emacs setup for
org-mode.

My only other advice is start learning to program in emacs-lisp. It took
me about four years to get proficient enough to write org-ref. I learned
by solving lots of little problems, and building up to bigger
problems. A lot of those are documented in my blog. Read the emacs and
emacs-lisp manuals (read them in Emacs or in a browser). They take some
time, so skip the stuff that doesn't make sense and come back to it
later if you need to. Consider getting the book at
https://www.masteringemacs.org. It isn't about org-mode, but it will
make you better at using Emacs. Consider reading Land of Lisp. It isn't
about Emacs or Emacs-lisp, but it might interest you in programming in a
lispy language, and it is a fun read.

Buy the org-mode book:
http://www.amazon.com/Org-Mode-Reference-Manual-Organize/dp/9881327709/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433855847&sr=8-1&keywords=org-mode. yes,
it is the same stuff as in the manual, but it is a book you can read
anywhere anytime.

Start by learning how to get org-mode to do some things you want. Just
do one thing a day. Every day.

You hopefully have 30+ years of career ahead of you, so even if it takes
a few years or more to learn how to program in emacs-lisp to customize
your workflows, you still have plenty of time to benefit from it!

Best wishes,

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F

@ 2015-06-10  1:57         ` windy
From: windy @ 2015-06-10  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Holger Wenzel

Another question, I am a student , I think it is a big problem that how to exchange you article with your teacher, because the teacher will comment or revise your article once again and again.

However, Many teachers will not use emacs to write articles and also the pdf file is not so convenient to do some modification, how will you deal with the problem ?

在2015年06月09 21时21分, "John Kitchin"<jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu>写道:

--

@ 2015-06-10 13:49           ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2015-06-10 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: windy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Holger Wenzel

Speaking as an advisor/teacher, you should do what they want if you want
them to help you.

You could ask if they are willing to comment on the pdf, either by hand
writing on a printed version, or by pdf commenting, or maybe in the
LaTeX source. But, if that is not what they want, and they cannot work
with what you give them, you will not get as much feedback as you want,
and you will end up creating frustration on your end and theirs.

--

@ 2015-06-10 14:14             ` Ken Mankoff
From: Ken Mankoff @ 2015-06-10 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: Holger Wenzel, emacs-orgmode, windy

I found a happy medium working in Org, exporting to LaTeX, and then using Pandoc to convert to Word. I would send the Word and always the canonical PDF version in case some equations got messed up. This requires manually incorporating the tracked changes from Word, but I've never been a fan of just clicking "accept" on changes anyway, and don't mind the manual re-integration of comments.

  -k.

On 2015-06-10 at 09:49, John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
> [...]
>>>>

>>> I'd start with:
>>>
>>> http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2014/08/08/What-we-are-using-org-
>>> mode-for/
>>>
>>> follow John Kitchin's blog there closely and read everything he posts in
>>> this list.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Holger

>>> viewpoint)?

>>> coding

>>> greatly
>>> bibliography

>>> lack of
>>> potential
>>> from

>>> detailed

>>> email i
>>> people

>>> client=safari&rls=en&q=emacs+org-mode+in+resear

* Re: Organizing and taming hectic Academia work (faculty viewpoint)? Tips or a good guides sought after :)
@ 2015-06-10 14:16             ` Julian Burgos
                                 ` (2 more replies)
From: Julian Burgos @ 2015-06-10 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: Holger Wenzel, emacs-orgmode, windy

Windy, I am a researcher (not in academia, but in a government lab).  I
use emacs and org-mode a lot, for project management, programming (using R
and GRASS), writing papers, keeping notes, etc.etc.
I find that collaborative writing is problematic because most people use
Word, and in most cases will not become enlightened and use emacs.  I have
used two strategies.

a) I first write in org-mode.  Export to Word, either exporting first to
ODT and then to Word, or to LaTex and then use pandoc to convert LaTex to
Word.  My coauthor can edit the document as he wishes, using the "Track
changes" option.  Then, I transcribe their edits back into the org-mode
document.  Advantage of this approach:  your coauthor receives a clean
word file, that could include figures, references, etc., and he/she uses
the tools she likes to edit the file.  Disadvantage:  you have to manually
incorporate the changes to the org-mode file each time there are edits.

b) I write the manuscript in org-mode.  Then I send the org-mode file to
my coauthor.  Because the org-mode file is just a text file, my coauthor
can use Word to edit it.  I ask him/her *not* to use "track changes" and
to save the edited version also as a text file.  Then, when I receive it I
use ediff in emacs to compare both documents and incorporate the edits I
want.  Advantage of this approach: the merging of the documents is easy
using ediff.  Disadvantage: your coauthor has to edit a weird-looking
document, with markup, code blocks, etc.

All the best,

Julian

@ 2015-06-10 18:51           ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2015-06-10 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: windy; +Cc: Holger Wenzel, emacs-orgmode, John Kitchin

On Wednesday, 10 Jun 2015 at 09:57, windy wrote:
> Another question, I am a student , I think it is a big problem that
> how to exchange you article with your teacher, because the teacher
> will comment or revise your article once again and again.
>
> However, Many teachers will not use emacs to write articles and also
> the pdf file is not so convenient to do some modification, how will
> you deal with the problem ?

As John has already said, go with the flow and use whatever system your
teacher prefers...

The students in my group quickly learn that they get more useful
feedback from me if they give me LaTeX or org files instead of Word!
It's not because I wish to penalise them, of course.  It's that I don't
have Word so I get them to give me PDF to ensure the maths come through
properly (libreoffice is not particularly good when it comes to
mathematics).  I only end up commenting indirectly on any document they
give me.  On the other hand, if they give me LaTeX or org, I comment
directly within their documents and/or suggest changes when appropriate.

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.50.1, Org release_8.3beta-1147-g0e5069.dirty

* Re: Organizing and taming hectic Academia work (faculty viewpoint)? Tips or a good guides sought after :)
@ 2015-06-10 20:58               ` Titus von der Malsburg
From: Titus von der Malsburg @ 2015-06-10 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Mankoff; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, windy

On 2015-06-10 Wed 07:14, Ken Mankoff wrote:
> I found a happy medium working in Org, exporting to LaTeX, and then
> using Pandoc to convert to Word.

With ox-pandoc you can export to .docx directly.  No need to go through
LaTeX.  Ox-pandoc is pretty amazing.

  Titus

> [...]
>>> https://www.masteringemacs.org. It isn't about org-mode, but it will
>>> make you better at using Emacs. Consider reading Land of Lisp. It isn't
>>> about Emacs or Emacs-lisp, but it might interest you in programming in a
>>> lispy language, and it is a fun read.
>>>
>>> Buy the org-mode book:
>>> http://www.amazon.com/Org-Mode-Reference-Manual-Organize/dp/9881327709/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433855847&sr=8-1&keywords=org-mode. yes,
>>> it is the same stuff as in the manual, but it is a book you can read
>>> anywhere anytime.
>>>
>>> Start by learning how to get org-mode to do some things you want. Just
>>> do one thing a day. Every day.
>>>
>>> You hopefully have 30+ years of career ahead of you, so even if it takes
>>> a few years or more to learn how to program in emacs-lisp to customize
>>> your workflows, you still have plenty of time to benefit from it!

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Organizing and taming hectic Academia work (faculty viewpoint)? Tips or a good guides sought after :)
@ 2015-06-11  2:07               ` windy
From: windy @ 2015-06-11  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thanks for all you reply,

     My teacher let me give a DOC version for that only me use the emacs in our lab (So lonely, DOC dominate the most people).

     I finnally export as ODT and change into DOC version, it seems works well for that only no reference generate. Wish a more wisdom ODT exporter in org-mode. Bibtex is a big problem when export into different format files.

在2015年06月10 22时16分, "Julian Burgos"<julian@hafro.is>写道:

@ 2015-06-11  5:30                 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-06-11  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Titus von der Malsburg <malsburg@posteo.de> writes:

> On 2015-06-10 Wed 07:14, Ken Mankoff wrote:
>> I found a happy medium working in Org, exporting to LaTeX, and then
>> using Pandoc to convert to Word.
>
> With ox-pandoc you can export to .docx directly.  No need to go through
> LaTeX.  Ox-pandoc is pretty amazing.

Out of curiosity, why is it preferable to go via pandoc instead of ox-odt?

Rasmus

--
Bang bang

* Re: Organizing and taming hectic Academia work (faculty viewpoint)? Tips or a good guides sought after :)
@ 2015-06-11  5:38                 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-06-11  5:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

windy <chxp_moon@163.com> writes:

>      My teacher let me give a DOC version for that only me use the
> emacs in our lab (So lonely, DOC dominate the most people).

You should see if you can at least "upgrade" to docx.  In my experience,
LO writes much better docx than doc (e.g. when using doc math is
downsampled to images losing a lot of quality).

>      I finnally export as ODT and change into DOC version, it seems
> works well for that only no reference generate. Wish a more wisdom ODT
> exporter in org-mode. Bibtex is a big problem when export into
> different format files.

ATM I think the a lot of people use John's org-ref.

For this problem I've used a home-grown "org-cite.el" that uses reftex.el
to format citations in author-year style.  I generate the final
bibliography via tex4ht and merge the two documents in an odm.  This is
easy with a Makefile.

Later, probably after 8.3, we'll try to include citation support in Org.

Rasmus

--
The second rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight Club

* Re: Organizing and taming hectic Academia work (faculty viewpoint)? Tips or a good guides sought after :)
@ 2015-06-11 12:18                 ` Ken Mankoff
From: Ken Mankoff @ 2015-06-11 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: windy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2015-06-10 at 22:07, windy <chxp_moon@163.com> wrote:
> I finnally export as ODT and change into DOC version, it seems works
> well for that only no reference generate. Wish a more wisdom ODT
> exporter in org-mode. Bibtex is a big problem when export into
> different format files.

Org -> LaTeX --Pandoc--> DOCX  supports references.

  -k.

* Re: Organizing and taming hectic Academia work (faculty viewpoint)? Tips or a good guides sought after :)
@ 2015-06-11 12:19                   ` windy
From: windy @ 2015-06-11 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks for your advices.

I will try to export as DOCX  instead of DOC.

The org-ref is a very convenient way to control the bibtex after I watch the video, through it doesn't resovle the bibtex expoort in ODT.
I think in a long time, the DOC format stil a dominate format that communicate with teachers...(Sad news...)

Very glad to hear the news that citation will supported by org-mode and Thanks for you and your partners' hard work!

Many Thanks.

在2015年06月11 13时38分, "Rasmus"<rasmus@gmx.us>写道:

windy <chxp_moon@163.com> writes:

>      My teacher let me give a DOC version for that only me use the
> emacs in our lab (So lonely, DOC dominate the most people).

You should see if you can at least "upgrade" to docx.  In my experience,
LO writes much better docx than doc (e.g. when using doc math is
downsampled to images losing a lot of quality).

>      I finnally export as ODT and change into DOC version, it seems
> works well for that only no reference generate. Wish a more wisdom ODT
> exporter in org-mode. Bibtex is a big problem when export into
> different format files.

ATM I think the a lot of people use John's org-ref.

For this problem I've used a home-grown "org-cite.el" that uses reftex.el
to format citations in author-year style.  I generate the final
bibliography via tex4ht and mlentic erge the two documents in an odm.  This is

@ 2015-06-11 12:54                   ` windy
From: windy @ 2015-06-11 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Mankoff; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks.

However, pandoc hardly to deal right about the figure caption number, the table (table caption) and the  superscript.
The export in org-mode perform well in everything except for the bibtex.
I prefer the inherent method in org-mode.

The command I use: pandoc --bibliography=zotero.bib --filter pandoc-citeproc 12.tex -o 12.docx

By the way, I like the output style in ODT of org-exporter and I am lazy to adjust the pandoc export style...

在2015年06月11 20时18分, "Ken Mankoff"<mankoff@gmail.com>写道:

@ 2015-06-11 14:56                 ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2015-06-11 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Titus von der Malsburg; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I didn't know about this -- this could be a killer feature for me. I
work a lot with biologists and medics and they are completely
word-centric.

Phil

--
Phillip Lord,                           Phone: +44 (0) 191 208 7827
Lecturer in Bioinformatics,             Email: phillip.lord@newcastle.ac.uk

* Re: Organizing and taming hectic Academia work (faculty viewpoint)? Tips or a good guides sought after :)
@ 2015-06-11 17:02                   ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2015-06-11 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phillip Lord; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Titus von der Malsburg

I also wasn't familiar with it.

I just played around with it a bit to see if you could integrate org-ref
with this. You mostly can do it, but the document probably would need
some final manual polishing for some things.

http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2015/06/11/ox-pandoc-org-mode-+-org-ref-to-docx-with-bibliographies/

--

@ 2015-06-12 13:24                     ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2015-06-12 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Titus von der Malsburg

For me, I was interested in integrating it with my literate work
(lentic). The idea would be a document with some formal representation
(using OWL, but it could be anything at all) and some English (or bad
English as this is science) representation in the org-mode view.

I could hide the formal view, and use this to generate a word doc for
the biologists to say "is this what you said, and what you mean?". Then
use their comments and feedback to update both the English AND the
formal representation.

I've already had a paper bounced on the (daft) grounds that "biologists
are never going to use Emacs and Clojure" (which I never said they
would). A word based representation would be fantastic.

I shall investigate further.

Phil

@ 2015-06-12 14:02               ` Ken Mankoff
From: Ken Mankoff @ 2015-06-12 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julian Burgos; +Cc: Holger Wenzel, emacs-orgmode, windy, John Kitchin

Hi Julian,

On 2015-06-10 at 10:16, Julian Burgos <julian@hafro.is> wrote:
> a) I first write in org-mode. Export to Word, either exporting first
> to ODT and then to Word, or to LaTex and then use pandoc to convert
> LaTex to Word. My coauthor can edit the document as he wishes, using
> the "Track changes" option. Then, I transcribe their edits back into
> the org-mode document. Advantage of this approach: your coauthor
> receives a clean word file, that could include figures, references,
> etc., and he/she uses the tools she likes to edit the file.
> Disadvantage: you have to manually incorporate the changes to the
> org-mode file each time there are edits.
>
> b) I write the manuscript in org-mode. Then I send the org-mode file
> to my coauthor. Because the org-mode file is just a text file, my
> coauthor can use Word to edit it. I ask him/her *not* to use "track
> changes" and to save the edited version also as a text file. Then,
> when I receive it I use ediff in emacs to compare both documents and
> incorporate the edits I want. Advantage of this approach: the merging
> of the documents is easy using ediff. Disadvantage: your coauthor has
> to edit a weird-looking document, with markup, code blocks, etc.

It seems like with a bit of extra (scriptable?) work you could remove both disadvantages.

Why can't you use method (a) above, and then DOCX -> Org via pandoc (with --accept-all option)?

I know pandoc introduce some of its own changes to the Org syntax but not the document itself. You can get around this. You can remove the pandoc-generated changes automagically so that only co-author changes appear in Org format, which you can then use with your (b) above and emacs ediff.

Original: Your Org source
A: Org -> DOCX for co-authors (using pandoc)
B: Org -> DOCX -> Org (using pandoc).
C: A -> Org (using pandoc and --accept-all-changes)
D: B-Original

The difference between B and Original are pandoc-introduced changes that you do not want. Ignore/remove these changes from C, call it D and then the difference between D and the Original are your co-author comments. Now your authors can edit DOCX with Track Changes and you can work on those edits with Emacs ediff.

  -k.

* Re: Organizing and taming hectic Academia work (faculty viewpoint)? Tips or a good guides sought after :)
@ 2015-06-13 19:06                 ` Xebar Saram
From: Xebar Saram @ 2015-06-13 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Mankoff
  Cc: Julian Burgos, windy, emacs-orgmode, John Kitchin, Holger Wenzel

Hi list and John

Thank you all for all the great advice i will start incorporating them into
my daily workflow

John: org-ref looks great but is it also used for "managing" you
references? that is searching for entries, grouping by keys, exporting them
to html, adding etc. does it have a "table" view or other? if not what do
you use for managing your references?

best

@ 2015-06-13 19:52                   ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2015-06-13 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xebar Saram
  Cc: Julian Burgos, emacs-orgmode, windy, Ken Mankoff, Holger Wenzel

I guess you could say I use it to manage my references. E.g. I add
references using the functions in doi-utils.el. I can search them using
helm-bibtex (which is not part of org-ref, we just use it because it is
awesome), and from that I can see groups of references with keywords,
etc... helm-bibtex provides the "table"view I think you are referring to as
a helm selection buffer. Alternatively in org-ref you could use the older
reftex interface.

When I click on a cite link, there actions available to do things like
open the entry, find related articles, etc...

(org-ref-build-full-bibliography) allows you to build a pdf version of a
bibtex file pretty conveniently.

the jmax-bibtex.el file in org-ref provides additional functionality to
clean up bibtex entries, etc...

so, it is fair to say emacs+org-ref+helm-bibtex is how I manage my
references, and use them in writing.

John

-----------------------------------

@ 2015-06-15 17:33                 ` Julian Burgos
From: Julian Burgos @ 2015-06-15 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Mankoff
  Cc: Julian Burgos, Holger Wenzel, emacs-orgmode, windy, John Kitchin

Hi Ken,

This is a good idea! I will give it a try.  Thanks!

Julian

@ 2015-06-16  1:49               ` Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2015-06-16  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Julian Burgos" <julian@hafro.is> writes:

> b) I write the manuscript in org-mode.  Then I send the org-mode file to
> my coauthor.  Because the org-mode file is just a text file, my coauthor
> can use Word to edit it.  I ask him/her *not* to use "track changes" and
> to save the edited version also as a text file.  Then, when I receive it I
> use ediff in emacs to compare both documents and incorporate the edits I
> want.

Simple is best, and I wish I had thought of this simple idea before I
took an 87,000 word novel that I wrote in org-mode, output as ODT,
converted to DOCX, and then sent to an editor. I got back all the track
changes stuff and even worse, margin notes, and punctuation (like quotes
and ellipses) changed over to Word-ish characters.

It wasn't utterly useless but it created a lot of extra work, which
still isn't over. Next time I'll do as per above, tell her to just edit
the thing directly, write her notes in-line, and keep it as pure ASCII.

I really believe she thinks I was going to use Word to publish the
novel. Failure to communicate on my part. I could say lack of judgment
on her part but that's unfair; in her world, most everyone uses Word at
some stage in the process.

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

* Re: Organizing and taming hectic Academia work (faculty viewpoint)? Tips or a good guides sought after :)
@ 2015-06-16 23:15                 ` Alan L Tyree
From: Alan L Tyree @ 2015-06-16 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 16/06/15 11:49, Bob Newell wrote:
> "Julian Burgos" <julian@hafro.is> writes:
>
>> b) I write the manuscript in org-mode.  Then I send the org-mode file to
>> my coauthor.  Because the org-mode file is just a text file, my coauthor
>> can use Word to edit it.  I ask him/her *not* to use "track changes" and
>> to save the edited version also as a text file.  Then, when I receive it I
>> use ediff in emacs to compare both documents and incorporate the edits I
>> want.
> Simple is best, and I wish I had thought of this simple idea before I
> took an 87,000 word novel that I wrote in org-mode, output as ODT,
> converted to DOCX, and then sent to an editor. I got back all the track
> changes stuff and even worse, margin notes, and punctuation (like quotes
> and ellipses) changed over to Word-ish characters.
>
> It wasn't utterly useless but it created a lot of extra work, which
> still isn't over. Next time I'll do as per above, tell her to just edit
> the thing directly, write her notes in-line, and keep it as pure ASCII.
>
> I really believe she thinks I was going to use Word to publish the
> novel. Failure to communicate on my part. I could say lack of judgment
> on her part but that's unfair; in her world, most everyone uses Word at
> some stage in the process.

I used this method when working with an editor on the last edition of my
book on banking law: almost 300,000 words. I had a few special
constructs that I asked her not to meddle with, and she put editors
notes in-line. It worked a treat although the publisher actually
required Word files at the end.

Cheers,
Alan

Tel:  04 2748 6206              sip:typhoon@iptel.org

* Re: Organizing and taming hectic Academia work (faculty viewpoint)? Tips or a good guides sought after :)
@ 2015-08-26 14:17 ` Anders Johansson
From: Anders Johansson @ 2015-08-26 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Xebar Saram <zeltakc <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all
> Im a young assistant professor (in humanities and thus my horrific coding
skills..basically non ) and having been using orgmode for a year or two now.
I love orgmode dearly and use it mainly for note taking, lists etc

> I am aware of the fantastic orgmode capabilities that could benefit me
greatly such as exporting, email tie-ins, beamer support, organizing my
bibliography (i have switched to a .bib file recently for my references),
agenda capabilities and so much moreand have tried several of these with
mild success.

> unfortunately (and this maybe due to me not being very technical and lack
of coding skills) i still feel like im really not using orgmode to its
potential and still feel miserably lost in terms of organizing my work in
academia from all aspects.

> i am looking for 2 things really:
> 1. as i said in the post topic a good guide if anyone is aware of or
detailed examples of using org in Academia (mainly aimed at faculty :))

> 2. related to that as a young researcher with multiple students, paper
writing, grant applications, department duties, endless TODOS, endless email
i would really be grateful for even non org specific tips on how other
people organize all this to make life more..well..organized :)

> thanks alot in advance and sorry for the long mail
>
> best

I have to collaborate in Word but can at least start out writing my papers
in org-mode. I use Zotero for reference management and with the help of
several tools I can insert citations that can be formatted by Zotero in the
final version of the paper.
Here is my configuration:
https://gist.github.com/andersjohansson/324a01364eb5a5435c65

It uses Erik Hetzners org-zotxt and org-pdcite, ox-odt for converting to
odt, and then the tool http://zotero-odf-scan.github.io/zotero-odf-scan/ to
convert the generated citations like { | Smith, (2012) | |
|zu:2433:WQVBH98K} to Zotero citation marks in the odt-file.

Perhaps someone else will have use for this as well,

Cheers,
Anders Johansson