* searchable refcard?
@ 2008-11-27  1:21 Nathaniel Cunningham
From: Nathaniel Cunningham @ 2008-11-27  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Greetings,
I can't search the PDF version of the org-mode refcard (in a couple of
different apps on Mac OS X).  I can match single-character strings, and it
appears that my reader apps see spaces between e v e r y s i n g l e c h a r
a c t e r, which causes my trouble.  (Not a typical problem I have with
these apps.)

Is a more search-friendly version, or the (presumably LaTeX) source, of the
refcard available?

Cheers,
Nathaniel
[please include me  ( nathaniel.cunningham@gmail.com ) on any replies, as
I'm not a member of this list]

* Re: searchable refcard?
@ 2008-11-27 10:07 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2008-11-27 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathaniel Cunningham; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Nathaniel,

I don't know what causes this trouble, but I faced this sometimes with
LaTeX generated PDFs. Might be an encoding problem or what ever.

The LaTeX sources are available at repo.or.cz, as is the entire Org-mode
package:

http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode.git?a=blob;f=doc/orgcard.tex;h=8e2cbe0d76f9b71997c106982911b144ed5eff2f;hb=HEAD

Regards,

   Sebastian

"Nathaniel Cunningham" <nathaniel.cunningham@gmail.com> writes:
> Greetings,
> I can't search the PDF version of the org-mode refcard (in a couple of
> different apps on Mac OS X).  I can match single-character strings, and it
> appears that my reader apps see spaces between e v e r y s i n g l e c h a r
> a c t e r, which causes my trouble.  (Not a typical problem I have with
> these apps.)
>
> Is a more search-friendly version, or the (presumably LaTeX) source, of the
> refcard available?
>
> Cheers,
> Nathaniel
> [please include me  ( nathaniel.cunningham@gmail.com ) on any replies, as
> I'm not a member of this list]

Sebastian Rose, EMMA STIL - mediendesign, Niemeyerstr.6, 30449 Hannover

Tel.:  +49 (0)511 - 36 58 472
Fax:   +49 (0)1805 - 233633 - 11044
mobil: +49 (0)173 - 83 93 417
Email: s.rose emma-stil de, sebastian_rose gmx de
Http:  www.emma-stil.de

* Re: searchable refcard?
@ 2008-11-27 12:17   ` Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2008-11-27 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Nathaniel Cunningham

I hope I don't make a nuisance of myself by responding to this.  I posted at
some earlier date about my idea of making an org-help file "help.org" that I
can call up with a keystroke.  This is an extension of the texinfo concept,
perhaps, or a subset of it.

I think this would best be done in texinfo, and generate a rough equivalent
of the refcard's contents (keybindings reference and brief notes), separate
from the org mode info document.   I looked at texinfo, and even though I
can write fairly sophisticated material in LaTeX, texinfo looks daunting
enough to discourage me from trying.

For now, I have borrowed the idea of publishing a text refcard, but in
org-mode.  The reference card is then folded in outline format.  I have been
doing the converstion by hand from orgcard.tex, by using the untex command
to generate a rough text file, and then taking several passes through the
file to setup headlines and format the lines.  This can all be done in one
or two steps, with a short elisp function, but I haven't had the time to
brush up on elisp (I notice it's a moving target, as well).

The upshot for now may be a kludge, but it's extremeliy useful on a day to
day basis.  See help.org, attached.  No warantees implied.

That brought me to the question of how is the refcard written and kept up to
date?  Possibly from other files in the org repository?  Or is it separately
written up each time?  It is usually up to date with the newest version of
org-mode, at least insofar as the version number.

With apologies,

Alan

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 8:07 PM, Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de>wrote:

> Hi Nathaniel,
>

> I don't know what causes this trouble, but I faced this sometimes with
> LaTeX generated PDFs. Might be an encoding problem or what ever.
>

> The LaTeX sources are available at repo.or.cz, as is the entire Org-mode
> package:
>

> http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode.git?a=blob;f=doc/orgcard.tex;h=8e2cbe0d76f9b71997c106982911b144ed5eff2f;hb=HEAD
>

> Regards,
>
>   Sebastian
>

> "Nathaniel Cunningham" <nathaniel.cunningham@gmail.com> writes:
> > Greetings,
> > I can't search the PDF version of the org-mode refcard (in a couple of
> > different apps on Mac OS X).  I can match single-character strings, and
> it
> > appears that my reader apps see spaces between e v e r y s i n g l e c h
> a r
> > a c t e r, which causes my trouble.  (Not a typical problem I have with
> > these apps.)
> >
> > Is a more search-friendly version, or the (presumably LaTeX) source, of
> the
> > refcard available?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Nathaniel
> > [please include me  ( nathaniel.cunningham@gmail.com ) on any replies,
> as
> > I'm not a member of this list]

> Sebastian Rose, EMMA STIL - mediendesign, Niemeyerstr.6, 30449 Hannover
>
> Tel.:  +49 (0)511 - 36 58 472
> Fax:   +49 (0)1805 - 233633 - 11044
> mobil: +49 (0)173 - 83 93 417
> Email: s.rose emma-stil de, sebastian_rose gmx de
> Http:  www.emma-stil.de

Alan Davis

"It's never a matter of liking or disliking ..."
      ---Santa Ynez Chumash Medicine Man

[-- Attachment #2: help.org --]

# org keybinding help -*- mode:org -*-

New: 23 November 2008

*  Visibility Cycling

  rotate current subtree between states           TAB
  rotate entire buffer between states          	  S-TAB
  restore property-dependent startup visibility   C-u C-u TAB
  show the whole file, including drawers  	  C-u C-u C-u TAB
  reveal context around point  			  C-c C-r

*  Motion

  next/previous heading  			  C-c C-n/p
  next/previous heading, same level  		  C-c C-f/b
  backward to higher level heading  		  C-c C-u
  jump to another place in document  		  C-c C-j
  previous/next plain list item  		  S-UP/DOWN^3

*  Structure Editing

  insert new heading/item at current level  	  M-RET
  insert new heading after subtree  		  C-RET
  insert new TODO entry/checkbox item  		  M-S-RET
  insert TODO entry/ckbx after subtree  	  C-S-RET

  promote/demote heading  			  M-LEFT/RIGHT
  promote/demote current subtree  		  M-S-LEFT/RIGHT

  move subtree/list item up/down  		  M-S-UP/DOWN
  refile subtree  				  C-c C-w
  kill subtree  				  C-c C-x C-w
  copy subtree  				  C-c C-x M-w
  yank subtree  				  C-c C-x C-y or C-y
  narrow buffer to current subtree  		  C-x n s
  widen restriction to full buffer  		  C-x n w

*  Archiving

  toggle ARCHIVE tag  				  C-c C-x a
  force cycling of an ARCHIVEd tree  		  C-TAB
  move to Attic Sibling  			  C-c C-x A
  move subtree to archive file  		  C-c C-x C-s

*  Filtering and Sparse Trees

  construct a sparse tree by various criteria  	  C-c /
  view TODO's in sparse tree  			  C-c C-v
  global TODO list in agenda mode  		  C-c a t^1
  time sorted view of current org file  	  C-c a L

*  Tables

**   Creating a table

  just start typing, e.g.  			  |Name|Phone|Age RET |- TAB
  convert region to table  			  C-c |
  ... separator at least 3 spaces  		  C-3 C-c |

**   Commands available inside tables

The following commands work when the cursor is    inside a table .
Outside of tables, the same keys may have other functionality.

***   Re-aligning and field motion

  re-align the table without moving the cursor    C-c C-c
  re-align the table, move to next field  	  TAB
  move to previous field  			  S-TAB
  re-align the table, move to next row  	  RET

***   Row and column editing

  move the current column left  		  M-LEFT/RIGHT
  kill the current column  			  M-S-LEFT
  insert new column to left of cursor position    M-S-RIGHT

  move the current row up/down  		  M-UP/DOWN
  kill the current row or horizontal line  	  M-S-UP
  insert new row above the current row  	  M-S-DOWN
  insert hline below (  			  C-u  : above) current row  C-c -
  sort lines in region  			  C-c

***   Regions

  cut rectangular region  			  C-c C-x C-w
  copy rectangular region  			  C-c C-x M-w
  paste rectangular region  			  C-c C-x C-y
  fill paragraph across selected cells  	  C-c C-q

***   Miscellaneous

  to limit column width to  			   N  characters, use  ...| <N> |...
  edit the current field in a separate window  	  C-c `
  make current field fully visible  		  C-u TAB
  export as tab-separated file  		  M-x org-table-export
  import tab-separated file  			  M-x org-table-import
  sum numbers in current column/rectangle  	  C-c +

**   Tables created with the   table.el  package

  insert a new  				   table.el  table  C-c
  recognize existing table.el table  		  C-c C-c
  convert table (Org-mode  			   table.el)  C-c

**   Spreadsheet

   Formulas typed in field are executed by   TAB, RET  and   C-c C-c .
      =  introduces a column formula,
      :=  a field formula.

  Example: Add Col1 and Col2  			  |=$1+$2      |
  ... with printf format specification  	  |=$1+$2;%.2f|
  ... with constants from constants.el  	  |=$1/$c/$cm |
  sum from 2nd to 3rd hline  			  |:=vsum(@II..@III)|
  apply current column formula  		  | = |

  set and eval column formula  			  C-c =
  set and eval field formula  			  C-u C-c =
  re-apply all stored equations to current line   C-c *
  re-apply all stored equations to entire table   C-u C-c *
  iterate table to stability  			  C-u C-u C-c *
  rotate calculation mark through # * !  	  _ $  C-#
  show line, column, formula reference  	  C-c ?
  toggle coordinate grid  			  C-c }
  toggle formula debugger  			  C-c {

**   Formula Editor

`  edit formulas in separate buffer  		  C-c '
  exit and install new formulas  		  C-c C-c
  exit, install, and apply new formulas  	  C-u C-c C-c
  abort  					  C-c C-q
  toggle reference style  			  C-c C-r
  pretty-print Lisp formula  			  TAB
  complete Lisp symbol  			  M-TAB
  shift reference point  			  S-cursor
  shift test line for column references  	  M-up/down
  scroll the window showing the table  		  M-S-up/down
  toggle table coordinate grid  		  C-c }

*  Links

  globally store link to the current location  	  C-c l^1
  insert a link (TAB completes stored links)  	  C-c C-l
  insert file link with file name completion  	  C-u C-c C-l
  edit (also hidden part of) link at point  	  C-c C-l

  open file links in emacs  			  C-c C-o
  ...force open in emacs/other window  		  C-u C-c C-o
  open link at point  				  mouse-1/2
  ...force open in emacs/other window  		  mouse-3
  record a position in mark ring  		  C-c %
  jump back to last followed link(s)  		  C-c &
  find next link  				  C-c C-x C-n
  find previous link  				  C-c C-x C-p
   edit code snippet of file at point  		  C-c '

** Internal Links

    <<My Target>>     target
    <<<My Target>>>     radio target^2
    [[*this text]]     find headline
    [[this text]]     find target or text in buffer
    [[this text][description]]     optional link text

**   External Links

    file:/home/dominik/img/mars.jpg     file, absolute
    file:papers/last.pdf     file, relative
    file:projects.org::*that text     find headline
    file:projects.org::find me     find trgt/string
    http://www.astro.uva.nl/ dominik     on the web
    mailto:adent@galaxy.net     Email address
    news:comp.emacs     Usenet group
    bbdb:Richard Stallman     BBDB person
    gnus:group     GNUS group
    gnus:group#id     GNUS message
    vm|wl|mhe|rmail:folder     Mail folder
    vm|wl|mhe|rmail:folder#id     Mail message
    info:emacs:Regexps     Info file:node
    shell:ls *.org     shell command
    elisp:(calendar)     elisp form
    [[external link][description]]     optional link text

*  Completion

   In-buffer completion completes TODO keywords at headline start, TeX
   macros after ``
    '', option keywords after ``   #- '', TAGS
   after  ``   : '', and dictionary words elsewhere.

  Complete word at point  			  M-TAB

*  TODO Items and Checkboxes

  rotate the state of the current item  	  C-c C-t
  select next/previous state  			  S-LEFT/RIGHT
  select next/previous set  			  C-S-LEFT/RIGHT
  view TODO items in a sparse tree  		  C-c C-v
  view 3rd TODO keyword's sparse tree  		  C-3 C-c C-v

  set the priority of the current item  	  C-c , [ABC]
  remove priority cookie from current item  	  C-c , SPC
  raise/lower priority of current item  	  S-UP/DOWN^3

  insert new checkbox item in plain list  	  M-S-RET
  toggle checkbox(es) in region/entry/at point    C-c C-x C-b
  toggle checkbox at point  			  C-c C-c
  checkbox statistics cookies: insert  		    [/]  or    [%]
  update checkbox statistics (  		  C-u  : whole file)  C-c #

*  Tags

  set tags for current heading  		  C-c C-q
  realign tags in all headings  		  C-u C-c C-q
  create sparse tree with matching tags  	  C-c

  globally (agenda) match tags at cursor  	  C-c C-o

**  Properties and Column View

  set property  				  C-c C-x p
  special commands in property lines  		  C-c C-c
  next/previous allowed value  			  S-left/right
  turn on column view  				  C-c C-x C-c
  capture columns view in dynamic block  	  C-c C-x i

  quit column view  				  q
  next/previous allowed value  			  S-left/right
  next/previous allowed value  			  n / p
  edit value  					  e
  edit allowed values list  			  a
  show value  					  v
  make column wider/narrower  			  > / <
  move column left/right  			  M-left/right
  add new column  				  M-S-right
  Delete current column  			  M-S-left

*  Timestamps

  prompt for date and insert timestamp  	  C-c .
  like  C-c . but insert date and time format     C-u C-c .
  Like   C-c .  but make stamp inactive           C-c !
  insert DEADLINE timestamp  			  C-c C-d
  insert SCHEDULED timestamp  			  C-c C-s
  create sparse tree with all deadlines due  	  C-c / d
  the time between 2 dates in a time range  	  C-c C-y
  change timestamp at cursor by 1 day             S-RIGHT/LEFT^3
  change year/month/day at cursor by 1  	  S-UP/DOWN^3
  access the calendar for the current date  	  C-c >
  insert timestamp matching date in calendar  	  C-c <
  access agenda for current date  		  C-c C-o
  Select date while prompted  			  mouse-1/RET
  Toggle custom format display for dates/times    C-c C-x C-t

**   Clocking time

  start clock on current item  			  C-c C-x C-i
  stop clock on current item  			  C-c C-x C-o
  cancel current clock  			  C-c C-x C-x
  display total subtree times  			  C-c C-x C-d
  remove displayed times  			  C-c C-c
  insert/update table with clock report  	  C-c C-x C-r

*  Agenda Views

  add/move current file to front of agenda  	  C-c [
  remove current file from your agenda  	  C-c ]
  cycle through agenda file list  		  C-'
  set/remove restriction lock  			  C-c C-x </>

  compile agenda for the current week  		  C-c a a^1
  compile global TODO list  			  C-c a t^1
  compile TODO list for specific keyword  	  C-c a T^1
  match tags, TODO kwds, properties  		  C-c a m^1
  match only in TODO entries  			  C-c a M^1
  find stuck projects  				  C-c a #^1
  show timeline of current org file  		  C-c a L^1
  configure custom commands  			  C-c a C^1
  agenda for date at cursor  			  C-c C-o

**   Commands available in an agenda buffer

***   View Org file

  show and recenter window  			  L
  goto original location in other window  	  TAB/mouse-2
  goto original location, delete other windows    RET
  show subtree in indirect buffer, ded. frame  	  b
  toggle follow-mode  				  f

***   Change display

  delete other windows  			  o
  switch to day/week/month/year view  		  d w m y
  toggle inclusion of diary entries  		  D
  toggle time grid for daily schedule  		  G
  toggle display of logbook entries  		  l
  toggle inclusion of archived trees/files  	  v / C-u v
  refresh agenda buffer with any changes  	  r / g
  filter with repect to a tag  			  /
  save all org-mode buffers  			  s
  display next/previous day,week,...  		  RIGHT/LEFT
  goto today  					  .

***   Remote editing

  digit argument  				  0-9
  change state of current TODO item  		  t
  kill item and source  			  C-k
  archive the subtree (file/tag/sibling)  	  $ / a / A
  show tags of current headline  		  T
  set tags for current headline/region  	  :
  set priority of current item  		  p
  raise/lower priority of current item  	  S-UP/DOWN^3
  display weighted priority of current item  	  P
  run an attachment command  			  C-c C-a
  schedule/set deadline for this item  		  C-c C-s/d
  change timestamp to one day earlier/later  	  S-LEFT/RIGHT^3
  change timestamp to today  			  >
  insert new entry into diary  			  i

  start/stop/cancel the clock on current item  	  I / O / X
  jump to running clock entry  			  J

***   Misc

  Open link in current line  			  C-c C-o

***   Calendar commands

  find agenda cursor date in calendar  		  c
  compute agenda for calendar cursor date  	  c
  show phases of the moon  			  M
  show sunrise/sunset times  			  S
  show holidays  				  H
  convert date to other calendars  		  C

***   Quit and Exit

  quit agenda, remove agenda buffer  		  q
  exit agenda, remove all agenda buffers  	  x

*  Calendar and Diary Integration

    Include Emacs diary entries into Org-mode agenda with:
       (setq org-agenda-include-diary t)

*  LaTeX and cdlatex-mode

  preview LaTeX fragment  			  C-c C-x C-l
  Expand abbreviation (cdlatex-mode)  		  TAB
  Insert/modify math symbol (cdlatex-mode)  	  ` / '

*  Exporting and Publishing

Exporting creates files with extensions  	    .txt   and    .html
in the current directory.  Publishing puts the resulting file into
some other place.

  						  export/publish dispatcher  C-c C-e

  export visible part only  			  C-c C-e v
  insert template of export options  		  C-c C-x t
  toggle fixed width for entry or region  	  C-c :

**   Comments: Text not being exported

Text before the first headline is not considered part of the document
and is therefore never exported.
Lines starting with  				   #  are comments and are not exported.
Subtrees whose header starts with COMMENT are never exported.

  toggle COMMENT keyword on entry  		  C-c ;

**  Dynamic Blocks

  						  update dynamic block at point  C-c C-x C-u
  update all dynamic blocks  			  C-u C-c C-x C-u

* Re: searchable refcard?
@ 2008-11-27 15:55     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-11-27 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan E. Davis; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Nathaniel Cunningham

Hi Alan,

the refcard is done by hand, a lot of fiddling goes into
fitting all this info on two pages.  And  don't want to
keep two versions.

That said, my refcard is incomplete due to space constraints, and it
may be worth to do a better one, searchable, in Org.  Maybe you would
like to maintain it?

This is little work, you can just look at the changes in the
orgcard.tex file - basically it never changes, or hardly ever.

- Carsten

* Re: searchable refcard?
@ 2008-11-28  2:44       ` Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2008-11-28  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Nathaniel Cunningham

I think I can do this.  Before I make a decision, it seems terribly
important to understand what is a "searchable refcard."  I answered
the original post in part because the term was unclear to me.  A
"refcard" is something I print out on a sheet and reference as needed.

You are referring then to a searchable reference accessible as an org
file?  Similar to what I posted to the list?  What would make this
file more searchable?

I apologize if my questions seem impertinent.  I would be willing to
clean up and provide a file "org-help.org" periodically, as changes
occurred in orgcard.tex.  Even better, if I can see a way to extract
this information from the source, it would be possible to keep it more
up to date.

Alan

@ 2008-11-28  7:06   ` Nathaniel Cunningham
From: Nathaniel Cunningham @ 2008-11-28  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sebastian,
Thanks for the link to the refcard source.  The s p a c e s problem only
arose when I used the tex-->dvi-->ps-->pdf route in landscape geometry;
portrait geometry didn't have this problem, but of course the text didn't
fit the paper size, either.  pdftex worked just fine, after I added
\pdfpageheight 8.5in
\pdfpagewidth 11.0in
to the .tex file to get landscape geometry.

The idea of an org reference in org-mode sounds useful.  Thanks for the
file, Alan.

--Nathaniel

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 4:07 AM, Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de>wrote:

> Hi Nathaniel,
>

> I don't know what causes this trouble, but I faced this sometimes with
> LaTeX generated PDFs. Might be an encoding problem or what ever.
>

> The LaTeX sources are available at repo.or.cz, as is the entire Org-mode
> package:
>

> http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode.git?a=blob;f=doc/orgcard.tex;h=8e2cbe0d76f9b71997c106982911b144ed5eff2f;hb=HEAD
>

> Regards,
>
>   Sebastian
>

> "Nathaniel Cunningham" <nathaniel.cunningham@gmail.com> writes:
> > Greetings,
> > I can't search the PDF version of the org-mode refcard (in a couple of
> > different apps on Mac OS X).  I can match single-character strings, and
> it
> > appears that my reader apps see spaces between e v e r y s i n g l e c h
> a r
> > a c t e r, which causes my trouble.  (Not a typical problem I have with
> > these apps.)
> >
> > Is a more search-friendly version, or the (presumably LaTeX) source, of
> the
> > refcard available?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Nathaniel
> > [please include me  ( nathaniel.cunningham@gmail.com ) on any replies,
> as
> > I'm not a member of this list]

> Sebastian Rose, EMMA STIL - mediendesign, Niemeyerstr.6, 30449 Hannover
>
> Tel.:  +49 (0)511 - 36 58 472
> Fax:   +49 (0)1805 - 233633 - 11044
> mobil: +49 (0)173 - 83 93 417
> Email: s.rose emma-stil de, sebastian_rose gmx de
> Http:  www.emma-stil.de

* Re: searchable refcard?
@ 2008-11-30  8:54         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-11-30  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan E. Davis; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Nathaniel Cunningham

Hi Alan,

I have been thinking about this some more.  As Nat has pointed
out, the problem with the pdf can be fixed by using pdftex to
produce it, and maybe I should improve my standard procedure
to do just that.

OK, about a separate, new, searchable reference written in
Org-mode.  First of all, I am not sure if automatic production
can be made to work well.  Second, the PDF reference card has
been squeezed and optimized a lot to fit on a single A4, it is
as comprehensive as possible with this restriction, but incomplete
nonetheless.  In particular the meaning of prefix arguments
is often not mentioned, and some less important keys are not given.

With this restriction gone, we could make a *better* quick
reference, and I think we should seize this opportunity.
I can see two ways to do this.

1. Make a much more comprehensive reference by copying
all the key descriptions from the manual.  This would mean
going into the TeXInfo source and basically extracting everything
in the
     @table @kbd .... @end table
sections, with appropriate headings.  This would make a quite long
reference, may be too long and too much duplication compared to the
manual itself.

2. Start from the current tex file for the quick reference
  and then go through the manual to see if things are
  missing and add them, in a similarly compact way.
  Or, even easier, start from the org-help you published
  earlier, but still make an effort to make this more complete.

I think (2) may be more realistic, and I would be willing to help
fill in missing things, I think I know quite well which these are.
Examples can be taken from things that are still in the
orgcard.tex file but are commented out to save space.  Another thing
that would be good is a summary of the Markup Rules, of
Export options specified with #+OPTIONS, #+TITLE etc,
of #+STARTUP stuff etc.

Another thing to improve is lines like this:

    - archive the subtree                               $ / a / A

This is too compact and does not say what kind of archiving
will be done with each of these keys.

Keeping this reference up-to-date would be relatively simple,
because I do mention all changed key bindings in the release note.
So maintaining this reference would mean carefully reading the Notes
for each official release and adding/changing 1 or 2 lines of
the reference.

- Carsten

@ 2008-12-01 12:56           ` Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2008-12-01 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Nathaniel Cunningham

That all is a great help.  I like both ideas, but at the present it is much
easier for me to go through orgcard.tex and study the info docs.  I think I
have some mistakes in this, but it's been an interesting study to carefully
comb through one or two headlines' worth (Agenda and clocking) and add
something for my own use on relative clocks.

It helps alot to study the info docs while going through this, but I cannot
do it all in one sitthing.  Perhaps it's helpful to separate some of the
commands where three variants are on one line to save space---it sure helps
me to make sense of each of them.

I might ask, in cases where there is a discrepancy between the orgcard and
the info docs, which one is up to date?  My guess would be the info docs,
but I'm guessing.

Attached is another pass at "org-help.org".

Alan

--
Alan Davis

"It's never a matter of liking or disliking ..."
      ---Santa Ynez Chumash Medicine Man

[-- Attachment #2: org-help.org --]

#  org-help.org  *-* mode: org -*-
# 01 December 2008
#+STARTUP: overview

[...]

        := introduced  a field formula

**** Example

[...]

**  Relative time clock (Elapsed Time)

       insert a relative time into the buffer        C-c C-x .
          the first time the timer is started
	  reset relative time to Zero                      C-u C-c C-x .
       insert a description list item with time      C-c C-x -
         with prefix set to zero                           C-u C-c C-x -
       reset timer without inserting anything        C-c C-x 0
         - by default, set timer to 0
         - with C-u prefix, set to a specific offset       C-u C-c C-x 0
            (user prompted for offset, default at point)
         - with C-c C-u prefix, change all times in region
            by a given offset                              C-c C-u C-c C-x 0

*  Agenda Views

**  Agenda Files

    The variable 'org-agenda-files' may be maintained through the following
    commands:

       add/move current file to front of agenda      C-c [
       remove current file from your agenda          C-c ]
       cycle through agenda file list                C-, / C-'
       set/remove restriction lock  5                C-c C-x </>

**  The Agenda Dispatcher

       (assuming C-c a is the Agenda Dispatcher, the following are
       suggested bindings)

       compile agenda for the current week           C-c a a

       compile global TODO list                      C-c a t
       compile TODO list for specific keyword        C-c a T

       match tags, TODO kwds, properties             C-c a m
       match only in TODO entries                    C-c a M

       find stuck projects                           C-c a #
       show timeline view of current org file        C-c a L
         (time-sorted view)
       configure custom commands                     C-c a C

       agenda for date at cursor                     C-c C-o

*** Keyword search

       boolean search by keyword of files            C-c a s
      (searches all files in `org-agenda-text-search-extra-files')

[...]

      You are not allowed to edit the agenda buffer itself, but
      you may use the following commands to show and jump to the
      original entry and edit it "remotely":

        undo a change due to remote editing         C-_
        digit argument                              0-9

        change state of current TODO item           t
        kill item and source                        C-k

        toggle archive tag for headline             a
        move subtree to _Archive Sibling_           A
        archive the subtree of headline             $
          (to configured archive location---?file)

        show tags of current headline               T
          (including inherited tags)
        set tags for current headline/region        :
        set priority of current item                p / ','
        raise priority of current item              S-UP/DOWN / +
        lower priority of current item              S-DOWN  / -
        display weighted priority of current item   P
        dispatcher for attachment commands          C-c C-a
        schedule this item                          C-c C-s
        set deadline for this item                  C-c C-d
        change timestamp to one day earlier/later   S-LEFT/RIGHT^3
        change timestamp to today                   >
        insert new entry into diary                 i

**** Agenda Actions for selected items

      Dispatcher for agenda actions              k

       mark entry at point for action          a
       set deadline to date at point           d
       schedule to date at point               s
       call remember, cursor date as default   r

      Press 'r' afterward to see effect of action

**** Clock actions

     start the clock on current item  		  I
     stop the clock on current item               O
     cancel the clock on current item             X

     jump to running clock entry, other window    J

@ 2008-12-01 13:06             ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-12-01 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan E. Davis; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Nathaniel Cunningham

On Dec 1, 2008, at 1:56 PM, Alan E. Davis wrote:

> That all is a great help.  I like both ideas, but at the present it
> is much easier for me to go through orgcard.tex and study the info
> docs.  I think I have some mistakes in this, but it's been an
> interesting study to carefully comb through one or two headlines'
> worth (Agenda and clocking) and add something for my own use on
> relative clocks.
>
> It helps alot to study the info docs while going through this, but I
> cannot do it all in one sitthing.  Perhaps it's helpful to separate
> some of the commands where three variants are on one line to save
> space---it sure helps me to make sense of each of them.
>
> I might ask, in cases where there is a discrepancy between the
> orgcard and the info docs, which one is up to date?  My guess would
> be the info docs, but I'm guessing.

Please collect these differences and send them to me, I will check.
Likely, the manual is more up to date.

- Carsten

> Attached is another pass at "org-help.org".
>
> Alan
>

> --
> Alan Davis
>
> "It's never a matter of liking or disliking ..."
>       ---Santa Ynez Chumash Medicine Man
>
> <org-help.org>

* Re: searchable refcard?
@ 2008-12-01 14:38               ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2008-12-01 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Nathaniel Cunningham

Hi Carsten, Alan & Co,

sorry for not following this thread closely. If the idea here is deleted
from your list already or is not feasable, just ignore it.

Refcard as info file
====================

  How about maintaining the extended refcard as a second texinfo file?
  After the install, we would have two resulting info files: org and
  org-refcard.

  We could then bind a key to some `org-open-ref-card' function, that
  simply calls (info "(orgrefcard)").

Context help
============

  As for help in general:

  How about binding a key (e.g. `C-c h') to a function calling (info
  &optional file-or-node) to get context-help while in an org-file?

  (info "(org)tags")                      if on a tag,
  (info "(org)properties and columns")    if in `#+COLUMNS' line

  ...and so on.

  Often more than one section will match, so a mapping would be needed
  as well, as some sort of completion.

Best,

   Sebastian

--

@ 2008-12-02  8:33                 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-12-02  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Nathaniel Cunningham

Hi Sebastian,

On Dec 1, 2008, at 3:38 PM, Sebastian Rose wrote:

> Hi Carsten, Alan & Co,
>

> sorry for not following this thread closely. If the idea here is
> deleted
> from your list already or is not feasable, just ignore it.
>

> Refcard as info file
> ====================
>
>  How about maintaining the extended refcard as a second texinfo file?
>  After the install, we would have two resulting info files: org and
>  org-refcard.
>
>  We could then bind a key to some `org-open-ref-card' function, that
>  simply calls (info "(orgrefcard)").

If this would be done in info format (i.e. TexInfo), then it could
simply be part of the manual itself and info could jumpt to that
particular node in the manual.

> Context help
> ============
>
>  As for help in general:
>
>  How about binding a key (e.g. `C-c h') to a function calling (info
>  &optional file-or-node) to get context-help while in an org-file?
>
>  (info "(org)tags")                      if on a tag,
>  (info "(org)properties and columns")    if in `#+COLUMNS' line
>
>  ...and so on.
>
>  Often more than one section will match, so a mapping would be needed
>  as well, as some sort of completion.

I do like that idea.

- Carsten

* Re: searchable refcard?
@ 2008-12-02 12:28                   ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2008-12-02 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Nathaniel Cunningham

> Hi Sebastian,
>
> On Dec 1, 2008, at 3:38 PM, Sebastian Rose wrote:
>
>> Hi Carsten, Alan & Co,
>>

>> sorry for not following this thread closely. If the idea here is deleted
>> from your list already or is not feasable, just ignore it.
>>

>> Refcard as info file
>> ====================
>>
>>  How about maintaining the extended refcard as a second texinfo file?
>>  After the install, we would have two resulting info files: org and
>>  org-refcard.
>>
>>  We could then bind a key to some `org-open-ref-card' function, that
>>  simply calls (info "(orgrefcard)").
>

> If this would be done in info format (i.e. TexInfo), then it could
> simply be part of the manual itself and info could jumpt to that
> particular node in the manual.

Yes, true. Since the info file comes with org-mode, it would be a
natural way to do this IMO. It's so simple to search in info, since C-s
searches accross sections and even files.

>> Context help
>> ============
>>
>>  As for help in general:
>>
>>  How about binding a key (e.g. `C-c h') to a function calling (info
>>  &optional file-or-node) to get context-help while in an org-file?
>>
>>  (info "(org)tags")                      if on a tag,
>>  (info "(org)properties and columns")    if in `#+COLUMNS' line
>>
>>  ...and so on.
>>
>>  Often more than one section will match, so a mapping would be needed
>>  as well, as some sort of completion.
>
> I do like that idea.

It's the only feature MS-Office and openoffice.org have, that's
not in Org-mode yet :-)

Just courious:

How would I reveal the context at point?
Would I use those predicates as `org-at-xxx-p'?

Best,

  Sebastian

--

@ 2008-12-02 13:01                     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-12-02 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Nathaniel Cunningham

On Dec 2, 2008, at 1:28 PM, Sebastian Rose wrote:

> Just courious:
>
> How would I reveal the context at point?
> Would I use those predicates as `org-at-xxx-p'?

C-h f org-context RET

We can extend this function if needed for context help.

- Carsten

* Re: searchable refcard?
@ 2008-12-02 14:35                       ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2008-12-02 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Nathaniel Cunningham

Carsten,

thanks for the hint!

Maybe I'll try to learn a little more elisp between the years :-)

I tried it the stupid way, just to see it working:

(defun org-context-help ()
  "Context help for org-mode"
  (interactive)
  (if (org-at-table-p)
      (info "(org)tables")
    (if (org-at-timestamp-p)
        (info "(org)timestamps")
      (if (org-at-item-checkbox-p)
          (info "(org)Checkboxes")
        (if (org-at-item-p)
            (info "(org)plain lists")
          (if (org-at-heading-p)
              (info "(org)headlines")
            (if (org-at-property-p)
                (info "(org)Properties and Columns")
              )))))))

Just for the fun of it.

I tried to use a list like this:

(setq org-context-help-map
      '(('org-at-item-checkbox-p "(org)Checkboxes" "(org)plain lists")
        ('org-at-item-p "(org)plain lists" "(org)Checkboxes")
        ('org-at-property-p "(org)Properties and Columns")
        ('org-at-timestamp-p "(org)timestamps" "(org)deadlines and scheduling")
        ('org-at-table-p "(org)tables")
        ('org-at-heading-p "(org)headlines")))

and dolist and eval, but I couldn't get my head around those `non-local
exits' (throw and catch). It should work with a list, to offer several
sections in the manual per context. And such a list would be easy to
maintain.

Still an elisp-dyslexic,

    Sebastian

--

@ 2008-12-03 20:40     ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2008-12-03 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathaniel Cunningham; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I do this:

        (w3m "http://orgmode.org/manual/index.html")
        (w3m "http://orgmode.org/orgcard.txt"))

Would use http://orgmode.org/org.html but that might use up Carsten's
bw too much and it is slow.

I like plain text and html all in one file.

Here are some possibilities.

  - if the manual is broken into small files, no isearch.
    - solution: include manual.html as one html file in
      org.
  - needs the net
    - solution: include manual.html and orgcard.txt in org.
  - needs emacs-w3m dedicated tab
    - solution: create manual.html tab if and only if not
      there.

--
Myalgic encephalomyelitis denialists are knowingly causing further
suffering and death by opposing biomedical research on this serious

* Re: searchable refcard?
@ 2008-12-04  8:10       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-12-04  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Nathaniel Cunningham

Hi Samuel,

On Dec 3, 2008, at 9:40 PM, Samuel Wales wrote:

> I do this:
>
>        (w3m "http://orgmode.org/manual/index.html")
>        (w3m "http://orgmode.org/orgcard.txt"))
>
> Would use http://orgmode.org/org.html but that might use up Carsten's
> bw too much and it is slow.
>
> I like plain text and html all in one file.
>
> Here are some possibilities.
>
>  - if the manual is broken into small files, no isearch.
>    - solution: include manual.html as one html file in
>      org.
>  - needs the net
>    - solution: include manual.html and orgcard.txt in org.

Of course I could include this file, but why?  You can simply build it.
After

   git pull

do

   make doc

and the html file will be made in the doc directory, along
with the pdf version and the refcards.

- Carsten

@ 2008-12-11  3:42         ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2008-12-11  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Nathaniel Cunningham

It might be useful to include org.html and refcard.txt because some
people don't have tex and would find it difficult to install, and
those two formats are accessible without special software.

But this is a small thing.