From: "Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@gmail.com>
To: Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org,
	Nathaniel Cunningham <nathaniel.cunningham@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: searchable refcard?
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 22:17:18 +1000	[thread overview]

I hope I don't make a nuisance of myself by responding to this.  I posted at
some earlier date about my idea of making an org-help file "help.org" that I
can call up with a keystroke.  This is an extension of the texinfo concept,
perhaps, or a subset of it.

I think this would best be done in texinfo, and generate a rough equivalent
of the refcard's contents (keybindings reference and brief notes), separate
from the org mode info document.   I looked at texinfo, and even though I
can write fairly sophisticated material in LaTeX, texinfo looks daunting
enough to discourage me from trying.

For now, I have borrowed the idea of publishing a text refcard, but in
org-mode.  The reference card is then folded in outline format.  I have been
doing the converstion by hand from orgcard.tex, by using the untex command
to generate a rough text file, and then taking several passes through the
file to setup headlines and format the lines.  This can all be done in one
or two steps, with a short elisp function, but I haven't had the time to
brush up on elisp (I notice it's a moving target, as well).

The upshot for now may be a kludge, but it's extremeliy useful on a day to
day basis.  See help.org, attached.  No warantees implied.

That brought me to the question of how is the refcard written and kept up to
date?  Possibly from other files in the org repository?  Or is it separately
written up each time?  It is usually up to date with the newest version of
org-mode, at least insofar as the version number.

With apologies,

Alan

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 8:07 PM, Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de>wrote:

> Hi Nathaniel,
>

> I don't know what causes this trouble, but I faced this sometimes with
> LaTeX generated PDFs. Might be an encoding problem or what ever.
>

> The LaTeX sources are available at repo.or.cz, as is the entire Org-mode
> package:
>

> http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode.git?a=blob;f=doc/orgcard.tex;h=8e2cbe0d76f9b71997c106982911b144ed5eff2f;hb=HEAD
>

> Regards,
>
>   Sebastian
>

> "Nathaniel Cunningham" <nathaniel.cunningham@gmail.com> writes:
> > Greetings,
> > I can't search the PDF version of the org-mode refcard (in a couple of
> > different apps on Mac OS X).  I can match single-character strings, and
> it
> > appears that my reader apps see spaces between e v e r y s i n g l e c h
> a r
> > a c t e r, which causes my trouble.  (Not a typical problem I have with
> > these apps.)
> >
> > Is a more search-friendly version, or the (presumably LaTeX) source, of
> the
> > refcard available?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Nathaniel
> > [please include me  ( nathaniel.cunningham@gmail.com ) on any replies,
> as
> > I'm not a member of this list]

> Sebastian Rose, EMMA STIL - mediendesign, Niemeyerstr.6, 30449 Hannover
>
> Tel.:  +49 (0)511 - 36 58 472
> Fax:   +49 (0)1805 - 233633 - 11044
> mobil: +49 (0)173 - 83 93 417
> Email: s.rose emma-stil de, sebastian_rose gmx de
> Http:  www.emma-stil.de

Alan Davis

"It's never a matter of liking or disliking ..."
      ---Santa Ynez Chumash Medicine Man