* Is there an environment for Org syntax?
@ 2014-03-14 21:41 Fletcher Charest
From: Fletcher Charest @ 2014-03-14 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear all,

I am currently writing a practical tutorial about Org for absolute
beginners. In the end, I would like to export it in multiple formats, HTML
for sure, but maybe LaTeX too (I am, of course, writing it with org-mode).
I am not aware of a functionality, or hack, which would allow me to include
Org syntax in the document, without it being taken into account by Org
itself and the exporter as being part of the document structure. Instead,
I'd like it to be exported as it appears in my Emacs Org file, including
colors, etc. I hope I am explaining this clearly.

Is it possible?

Thank you very much for you help,

FC

* Re: Is there an environment for Org syntax?
@ 2014-03-14 22:13 ` Phil Regier
From: Phil Regier @ 2014-03-14 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fletcher Charest; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I had thought that '#+begin_src org :exports code' would do just this, though I believe you have to then begin each line with a comma inside the block.

For me, the following:

#+begin_src org :exports code
,#+begin_src org :exports code
,#+end_src
#+end_src

produces Org code via the HTML and Latex export backends.  I think there are syntax highlighting export extensions in the wild (just search the web for something like 'org export syntax highlighting' to see a diverse collection of proposed solutions; Pygments appears to be a common theme, though I know nothing about it), but AFAIK they are not distributed with Org at this time.

Does that at least address the first part of your inquiry?  Sorry I couldn't offer anything actionable for the second; maybe someone else can pick up where I left off.

Phil

@ 2014-03-14 22:59   ` Fletcher Charest
From: Fletcher Charest @ 2014-03-14 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Regier; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Yes, thank you very much, that was it. I was thinking about doing this, but
I didn't know how to "escape" the syntax. This is quite embarrassing since
I just noticed that it is explained in the manual, and even more, since the
comma is added automatically when you edit the org code by hitting C-c '
anyway...

Thanks again!

Best regards,

FC

@ 2014-03-14 23:04     ` Phil Regier
From: Phil Regier @ 2014-03-14 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fletcher Charest; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I spent hours trying to figure out recursive org syntax, and only got it working with the help of the list.  :)

I realized after my last message that Worg uses some limited syntax highlighting on some of the newer pages; I'm not very good with javascript and css, but you might be able to borrow some code for highlighting by inspecting the org and html source...

Phil

@ 2014-03-14 23:21       ` Fletcher Charest
From: Fletcher Charest @ 2014-03-14 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thank you, this sounds interesting; I'm not very good either, but I will
have a look at this. And I actually have a related question (I hope it's
not in the manual this time): is it possible to indent the Org syntax in
the HTML export as it is indented in an Emacs buffer when
org-indent-modeis activated? The indentation in the HTML file looks
like the one you get
in Org by default, even if my org-indent-mode variable is set to t in my
Org buffer.

Thank you,

FC

@ 2014-03-14 23:34         ` Phil Regier
From: Phil Regier @ 2014-03-14 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fletcher Charest; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I'm not sure whether I follow you here, because I'm accustomed to seeing indents passed through.  If I export the following:

#+begin_src org :exports code
  ,#+begin_src org :exports code
      indented text
  ,#+end_src
#+end_src

...then my HTML export adds as many spaces as there are in the block edit buffer.  Is that not what you see, or are you looking for something more sophisticated?

Phil

@ 2014-03-15  4:44   ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2014-03-15  4:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Regier; +Cc: Fletcher Charest, emacs-orgmode

On 03/14/14 18:13, Phil Regier wrote:
[...]
> I think there are syntax highlighting export extensions in the wild
> (just search the web for something like 'org export syntax
> highlighting' to see a diverse collection of proposed solutions;
> Pygments appears to be a common theme, though I know nothing about
> it), but AFAIK they are not distributed with Org at this time.

Another option for syntax highlighting in HTML is htmlize. After
installing htmlize, =(require 'htmlize)= should be all that's needed.

--
Kyle Meyer

* Re: Is there an environment for Org syntax?
@ 2014-03-17 13:58           ` Fletcher Charest
From: Fletcher Charest @ 2014-03-17 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Regier; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello Phil,

When I use the edit buffer (by pressing C-c '), my Org syntax is indented
properly (in accordance with org-indent-mode, which is set to t). The code
block itself looks like this after editing:

#+BEGIN_SRC org :exports code
  ,* Top level headline
  ,** Second level
  ,*** Third level
  some text
  ,*** Third level
  more text
#+END_SRC

As you can see, the text ('some text' and 'more text') is not indented.
This is a little bit annoying, but not too much - I can add the spaces
myself.

The problem is with the HTML export: I can't see the HTML output as I would
see it in my Emacs buffer, that is to say, without the leading stars. In my
output (see attached), leading stars are visible, although not colored. I
would like them to be completely invisible.

Do you observe the same thing? My org-version is 8.2.5h-30-gdd810b-elpaplus
under GNU Emacs 24.3.1.

Thanks,

FC

On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 12:34 AM, Phil Regier <pregier@ittc.ku.edu> wrote:

> I'm not sure whether I follow you here, because I'm accustomed to seeing
> indents passed through.  If I export the following:
>
> #+begin_src org :exports code
>   ,#+begin_src org :exports code
>       indented text
>   ,#+end_src
> #+end_src
>
> ...then my HTML export adds as many spaces as there are in the block edit
> buffer.  Is that not what you see, or are you looking for something more
> sophisticated?
>
> Phil

[-- Attachment #2: html_output.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 3363 bytes --]

* Re: Is there an environment for Org syntax?
@ 2014-03-18 17:10             ` Phil Regier
From: Phil Regier @ 2014-03-18 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fletcher Charest; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sorry, Fletcher, but this is beyond me.  If what you want is essentially a buffer-based screenshot, then it may in theory be easier, relatively speaking, to build elisp routines to copy the contents of buffers, but that would be even further beyond my abilities.

@ 2014-03-19 10:09             ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-03-19 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fletcher Charest; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Phil Regier

Hi Fletcher,

Fletcher Charest <fletcher.charest@gmail.com> writes:

> When I use the edit buffer (by pressing C-c '), my Org syntax is
> indented properly (in accordance with org-indent-mode, which is set
> to t). The code block itself looks like this after editing:
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC org :exports code
>   ,* Top level headline
>   ,** Second level
>   ,*** Third level
>   some text
>   ,*** Third level
>   more text
> #+END_SRC
>
> As you can see, the text ('some text' and 'more text') is not
> indented. This is a little bit annoying, but not too much - I can add
> the spaces myself.

The indentation of the exported HTML looks correct to me:
"some text" is right below "*** Third level"

> The problem is with the HTML export: I can't see the HTML output as I
> would see it in my Emacs buffer, that is to say, without the leading
> stars. In my output (see attached), leading stars are visible,
> although not colored. I would like them to be completely invisible.

The HTML color of the leading stars is taken from the org-hide face.
When your background is black, the org-hide face is black, hence the
color you see in the HTML output.

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Is there an environment for Org syntax?
@ 2014-03-22 17:36               ` Fletcher Charest
From: Fletcher Charest @ 2014-03-22 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Phil Regier