* Support (or not) for Emacs 21, and XEmacs
@ 2010-04-14  8:15 Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-04-14  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-Mode List

Hi everyone,

I am, once again, reconsidering support for Emacs 21 and XEmacs
in Org-mode.

Supporting older versions of Emacsen does make the code in
Org-mode more complex, needs time to rewrite or copy features
that do exist in newer versions of Emacs.  Also, it slows down
the process of updating the version of Org-mode distributed
with Emacs, because the compatibility code makes it often hard to
comply with Emacs rules and practices.

What I would like to do is the following.

We are now working toward release 7.0 of Org-mode, which will
hopefully see full integration of org-babel.  I am considering
to make Org-mode version 6.35 the last version of Org-mode
supporting XEmacs and Emacs 21.  That would mean that I would
still fix critical bugs in 6.35 and keep that package on the
website indefinitely.  So people stuck with Emacs 21 and XEmacs do
have an excellent version of Org-mode available.  Git users will
be able indefinitely to select this version of Org-mode to support
and Emacs 21 or XEmacs installation.

For version 7.0 I would then not only stop actively supporting
these older Emacsen, but I would actually remove some of the
twisted code that has accumulated over the years in order to
support older versions.  Important examples are all the
stuff in org-compat, but also key bindings and other stuff.  There
are about 100 cases of (featurep 'xemacs) in the sources, and many
other places where I have to check for the availablility of a
specific feature or function.

If you object to such a development, please step into this
discussion.

- Carsten

* Re: Support (or not) for Emacs 21, and XEmacs
@ 2010-04-16 10:26 ` Carsten Dominik
                     ` (4 more replies)
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-04-16 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org-Mode List

Hi,

I have made a test version of Org with the compatibility code
for XEmacs and without some of the left-over compatibility
code for Emacs 21.

I would appreciate if some people could check out the
`remove-compatibility-code' branch from repo.or.cz and report back
if they experience any problems with Emacs 22, 23, and 24, either
during compilation or while running.

Problems with Emacs 21 and XEmacs do not have to be reported.... :-)

Thank you very much

- Carsten

On Apr 14, 2010, at 10:15 AM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am, once again, reconsidering support for Emacs 21 and XEmacs
> in Org-mode.
>
> Supporting older versions of Emacsen does make the code in
> Org-mode more complex, needs time to rewrite or copy features
> that do exist in newer versions of Emacs.  Also, it slows down
> the process of updating the version of Org-mode distributed
> with Emacs, because the compatibility code makes it often hard to
> comply with Emacs rules and practices.
>
> What I would like to do is the following.
>
> We are now working toward release 7.0 of Org-mode, which will
> hopefully see full integration of org-babel.  I am considering
> to make Org-mode version 6.35 the last version of Org-mode
> supporting XEmacs and Emacs 21.  That would mean that I would
> still fix critical bugs in 6.35 and keep that package on the
> website indefinitely.  So people stuck with Emacs 21 and XEmacs do
> have an excellent version of Org-mode available.  Git users will
> be able indefinitely to select this version of Org-mode to support
> and Emacs 21 or XEmacs installation.
>
> For version 7.0 I would then not only stop actively supporting
> these older Emacsen, but I would actually remove some of the
> twisted code that has accumulated over the years in order to
> support older versions.  Important examples are all the
> stuff in org-compat, but also key bindings and other stuff.  There
> are about 100 cases of (featurep 'xemacs) in the sources, and many
> other places where I have to check for the availablility of a
> specific feature or function.
>
> If you object to such a development, please step into this
> discussion.
>
> - Carsten

- Carsten

* Re: Support (or not) for Emacs 21, and XEmacs
@ 2010-04-16 10:27   ` Carsten Dominik
                     ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-04-16 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org-Mode List

On Apr 16, 2010, at 12:26 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have made a test version of Org with the compatibility code

I am such a bad writer.

I mean with that compatibility code *removed*!

- Carsten

@ 2010-04-16 12:19   ` Matt Lundin
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-04-16 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org-Mode List

Hi Carsten,

Carsten Dominik <dominik@uva.nl> writes:

> I have made a test version of Org with the compatibility code
> for XEmacs and without some of the left-over compatibility
> code for Emacs 21.
>
> I would appreciate if some people could check out the
> `remove-compatibility-code' branch from repo.or.cz and report back
> if they experience any problems with Emacs 22, 23, and 24, either
> during compilation or while running.

No problems here so far. In fact, I received fewer warnings during
compilation.

GNU Emacs 24.0.50.7 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.0)
 of 2010-04-15 on archdesk

- Matt

* Re: Re: Support (or not) for Emacs 21, and XEmacs
@ 2010-04-16 13:03   ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2010-04-16 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org-Mode List, Carsten Dominik

Carsten Dominik <dominik@uva.nl> writes:
> I would appreciate if some people could check out the
> `remove-compatibility-code' branch from repo.or.cz and report back
> if they experience any problems with Emacs 22, 23, and 24, either
> during compilation or while running.

I'm testing it with emacs 24.

The build went fine. Only one warning:

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/x-verbatim, Size: 409 bytes --]

emacs -batch -q -no-site-file -eval "(progn (add-to-list (quote load-path) \"/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp\") (add-to-list (quote load-path) (expand-file-name \"./lisp/\")))" -f batch-byte-compile lisp/org-remember.el

In end of data:
org-remember.el:1156:1:Warning: the function `partial-completion-mode' is not
    known to be defined.
Wrote /home/sebastian/emacs/lisp/ext/org-mode/lisp/org-remember.elc

I reloaded Org-mode and tried remembering, published a project and it
seems to work so far. But I'll better remove the lisp/org/ directory
from my emacs tree and restart.

* One git question:

When I pulled, I got the message, that there is a new branch. But that
branch did not show up in the list `git branch' gives me.

Then I did:

[-- Attachment #4: Type: text/x-verbatim, Size: 264 bytes --]

sh$ git checkout origin/remove-compatibility-code
Note: moving to 'origin/remove-compatibility-code' which isn't a local branch

sh$ git branch
* (no branch)

sh$ git checkout -b remove-compatibility-code
Switched to a new branch 'remove-compatibility-code'

While this is all fine, and I'm on `remove-compatibility-code' now: will
that branch be updated when I pull the next time?

Best wishes

    Sebastian

* Re: Re: Support (or not) for Emacs 21, and XEmacs
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-04-16 13:07   ` Jan Böcker
From: Jan Böcker @ 2010-04-16 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org-Mode List, Carsten Dominik

On 16.04.2010 12:26, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have made a test version of Org with the compatibility code
> for XEmacs and without some of the left-over compatibility
> code for Emacs 21.
>
> I would appreciate if some people could check out the
> `remove-compatibility-code' branch from repo.or.cz and report back
> if they experience any problems with Emacs 22, 23, and 24, either
> during compilation or while running.

Done. In case of any problems, I'll report back here (works so far).

I am running uncompiled org-mode on two machines (one Arch Linux, one
Debian) which both have Emacs 23 installed.

- Jan

* Re: Support (or not) for Emacs 21, and XEmacs
@ 2010-04-16 13:13     ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-04-16 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik, Org-Mode List, Carsten Dominik

Found a bug.

I'll switch to this branch for regular work to try to find issues with
it.

I'm running it on two versions of emacs uncompiled:

GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.11) of 2008-11-09
on raven, modified by Debian

and

GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2009-11-03 on
LENNART-69DE564 (patched)

Clocking in doesn't work correctly.

I have a task like this

,----[ x.org ]
| * TODO foo
|   :CLOCK:
|   CLOCK: [2010-04-16 Fri 09:10]--[2010-04-16 Fri 09:11] =>  0:01
|   :END:
|
| ** TODO Bar baz
|    [2010-04-16 Fri 09:10]
`----

if the parent task is clocking I can't clock in the subtask - the parent
task continues to clock and the point is moved to the headline of the
parent task.  Same behaviour on both versions.

Switching back to master until this is fixed since I can't function
without working clocking :)

-Bernt

@ 2010-04-16 13:32     ` Rémi Vanicat
From: Rémi Vanicat @ 2010-04-16 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> writes:

> * One git question:
>
> When I pulled, I got the message, that there is a new branch. But that
> branch did not show up in the list `git branch' gives me.

use git branch -r (or git branch -a) to list remote (or all branch)

> Then I did:
> sh$ git checkout origin/remove-compatibility-code

better to create a locale branch tracking the remote one with:
git checkout -b remove-compatibility-code origin/remove-compatibility-code

Then git pull will work as expected.

[...]
> While this is all fine, and I'm on `remove-compatibility-code' now: will
> that branch be updated when I pull the next time?

Not with you described config.
--
Rémi Vanicat

* Re: Re: Support (or not) for Emacs 21, and XEmacs
                     ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-04-16 13:47   ` Günter Kolousek
From: Günter Kolousek @ 2010-04-16 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org-Mode List, Carsten Dominik

Quoting Carsten Dominik <dominik@uva.nl>:

> Hi,
>
> I have made a test version of Org with the compatibility code
> for XEmacs and without some of the left-over compatibility
> code for Emacs 21.
>
> I would appreciate if some people could check out the
> `remove-compatibility-code' branch from repo.or.cz and report back
> if they experience any problems with Emacs 22, 23, and 24, either
> during compilation or while running.

No problems so far on Emacs 23.

Günter
This message was sent using the HTL Wr. Neustadt/EDVO webmail service.

* Re: Re: Support (or not) for Emacs 21, and XEmacs
@ 2010-04-16 13:56       ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2010-04-16 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rémi Vanicat; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rémi Vanicat <vanicat@debian.org> writes:
> Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> * One git question:
>>
>> When I pulled, I got the message, that there is a new branch. But that
>> branch did not show up in the list `git branch' gives me.
>
> use git branch -r (or git branch -a) to list remote (or all branch)
>
>> Then I did:
>> sh$ git checkout origin/remove-compatibility-code
>
> better to create a locale branch tracking the remote one with:
> git checkout -b remove-compatibility-code origin/remove-compatibility-code
>
> Then git pull will work as expected.

Thanks! Perfect!

`git checkout -b remove-compatibility-code origin/remove-compatibility-code'

says:

Branch remove-compatibility-code set up to track remote branch
remove-compatibility-code from origin.
Switched to a new branch 'remove-compatibility-code'

Great!

   Sebastian

* Re: Support (or not) for Emacs 21, and XEmacs
@ 2010-04-16 14:39       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-04-16 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Org-Mode List

Hi Bernt, thanks a lot for this report - I believe I know
what was causing this and have fixed it, still on that branch of course.

- Carsten

@ 2010-04-16 14:42         ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-04-16 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org-Mode List

Thanks.  I'll beat on it some more :)

Regards,
Bernt

Carsten Dominik <dominik@uva.nl> writes:

> Hi Bernt, thanks a lot for this report - I believe I know
> what was causing this and have fixed it, still on that branch of course.
>
> - Carsten
>
> On Apr 16, 2010, at 3:13 PM, Bernt Hansen wrote:
>
>> Found a bug.

<snip>

@ 2010-04-16 14:42           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-04-16 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Org-Mode List

On Apr 16, 2010, at 4:42 PM, Bernt Hansen wrote:

> Thanks.  I'll beat on it some more :)

What a team! :-)

@ 2010-04-16 16:41     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-04-16 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: Org-Mode List

There are more new changes on that branch - pretty much complete now,
I think.

Thanks for all your help.

@ 2010-04-16 19:15             ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-04-16 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org-Mode List

Another bug.

Attempting to get a clock report in the agenda.  (R in the daily agenda)

-Bernt

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function org-dblock-write:)
  org-dblock-write:((:name nil :link nil :maxlevel 2 :tstart 733878 :tend 733879 :scope agenda :indentation-column 0 :content "\n"))
  funcall(org-dblock-write: (:name nil :link nil :maxlevel 2 :tstart 733878 :tend 733879 :scope agenda :indentation-column 0 :content "\n"))
  (let* ((pos ...) (line ...) (params ...) (name ...) (indent ...) (cmd ...)) (message "Updating dynamic block `%s' at line %d..." name line) (funcall cmd params) (message "Updating dynamic block `%s' at line %d...done" name line) (goto-char pos) (when (and indent ...) (setq indent ...) (save-excursion ... ... ... ...)))
  (save-window-excursion (let* (... ... ... ... ... ...) (message "Updating dynamic block `%s' at line %d..." name line) (funcall cmd params) (message "Updating dynamic block `%s' at line %d...done" name line) (goto-char pos) (when ... ... ...)))
  org-update-dblock()
  (save-current-buffer (set-buffer temp-buffer) (org-mode) (org-create-dblock props) (org-update-dblock) (font-lock-fontify-buffer) (forward-line 2) (buffer-substring (point) (progn ... ...)))
  (with-current-buffer temp-buffer (org-mode) (org-create-dblock props) (org-update-dblock) (font-lock-fontify-buffer) (forward-line 2) (buffer-substring (point) (progn ... ...)))
  (unwind-protect (with-current-buffer temp-buffer (org-mode) (org-create-dblock props) (org-update-dblock) (font-lock-fontify-buffer) (forward-line 2) (buffer-substring ... ...)) (and (buffer-name temp-buffer) (kill-buffer temp-buffer)))
  (let ((temp-buffer ...)) (unwind-protect (with-current-buffer temp-buffer ... ... ... ... ... ...) (and ... ...)))
  (with-temp-buffer (org-mode) (org-create-dblock props) (org-update-dblock) (font-lock-fontify-buffer) (forward-line 2) (buffer-substring (point) (progn ... ...)))
  org-get-clocktable(:link nil :maxlevel 2 :tstart 733878 :tend 733879 :scope agenda)
  apply(org-get-clocktable (:link nil :maxlevel 2 :tstart 733878 :tend 733879 :scope agenda))
  (setq tbl (apply (quote org-get-clocktable) p))
  (let ((org-agenda-files ...) (p org-agenda-clockreport-parameter-plist) tbl) (setq p (org-plist-delete p :block)) (setq p (plist-put p :tstart clocktable-start)) (setq p (plist-put p :tend clocktable-end)) (setq p (plist-put p :scope ...)) (setq tbl (apply ... p)) (insert tbl))
  (progn (let (... ... tbl) (setq p ...) (setq p ...) (setq p ...) (setq p ...) (setq tbl ...) (insert tbl)))
  (if (and org-agenda-clockreport-mode clocktable-start) (progn (let ... ... ... ... ... ... ...)))
  (when (and org-agenda-clockreport-mode clocktable-start) (let (... ... tbl) (setq p ...) (setq p ...) (setq p ...) (setq p ...) (setq tbl ...) (insert tbl)))
  (let* ((org-agenda-start-on-weekday ...) (thefiles ...) (files thefiles) (today ...) (sd ...) (start ...) (day-numbers ...) (day-cnt 0) (inhibit-redisplay ...) s e rtn rtnall file date d start-pos end-pos todayp nd wd clocktable-start clocktable-end) (setq org-agenda-redo-command (list ... ... start-day ndays)) (setq ndays (or ndays org-agenda-ndays) nd ndays) (while (> ndays 1) (push ... day-numbers) (setq ndays ...)) (setq day-numbers (nreverse day-numbers)) (setq clocktable-start (car day-numbers) clocktable-end (1+ ...)) (org-prepare-agenda "Day/Week") (org-set-local (quote org-starting-day) (car day-numbers)) (org-set-local (quote org-include-all-loc) include-all) (org-set-local (quote org-agenda-span) (org-agenda-ndays-to-span nd)) (when (and ... ...) (setq files thefiles rtnall nil) (while ... ...) (when rtnall ... ... ... ...)) (unless org-agenda-compact-blocks (let* ... ... ...) (add-text-properties s ... ...) (org-agenda-mark-header-line s)) (while (setq d ...) (setq date ... wd ... s ...) (if ... ... ...) (setq files thefiles rtnall nil) (while ... ...) (if org-agenda-include-diary ...) (if ... ...)) (when (and org-agenda-clockreport-mode clocktable-start) (let ... ... ... ... ... ... ...)) (goto-char (point-min)) (or org-agenda-multi (org-fit-agenda-window)) (unless (and ... ...) (goto-char ...) (recenter -1) (if ... ...)) (goto-char (or start-pos 1)) (add-text-properties (point-min) (point-max) (quote ...)) (org-finalize-agenda) (setq buffer-read-only t) (message ""))
  org-agenda-list(nil nil 1)
  eval((org-agenda-list (quote nil) nil 1))
  (let nil (eval org-agenda-redo-command))
  eval((let nil (eval org-agenda-redo-command)))
  org-let(nil (eval org-agenda-redo-command))
  (let* ((org-agenda-keep-modes t) (filter org-agenda-filter) (preset ...) (cols org-agenda-columns-active) (line ...) (window-line ...) (lprops ...)) (put (quote org-agenda-filter) :preset-filter nil) (and cols (org-columns-quit)) (message "Rebuilding agenda buffer...") (org-let lprops (quote ...)) (setq org-agenda-undo-list nil org-agenda-pending-undo-list nil) (message "Rebuilding agenda buffer...done") (put (quote org-agenda-filter) :preset-filter preset) (and (or filter preset) (org-agenda-filter-apply filter)) (and cols (interactive-p) (org-agenda-columns)) (org-goto-line line) (recenter window-line))
  org-agenda-redo()
  org-agenda-clockreport-mode()
  call-interactively(org-agenda-clockreport-mode)

@ 2010-04-16 22:02               ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-04-16 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Org-Mode List

Fixed, thanks

- Carsten

@ 2010-04-17 15:39 ` Michael Sperber
From: Michael Sperber @ 2010-04-17 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> If you object to such a development, please step into this
> discussion.

I do - I'm an avoid org-mode user, an XEmacs maintainer.  and I'd be
happy to help support XEmacs, if that would help change your mind.

--
Cheers =8-} Mike

* Re: Re: Support (or not) for Emacs 21, and XEmacs
@ 2010-04-17 20:31   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-04-17 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Sperber; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 17, 2010, at 5:39 PM, Michael Sperber wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> If you object to such a development, please step into this
>> discussion.
>
> I do - I'm an avoid org-mode user, an XEmacs maintainer.  and I'd be
> happy to help support XEmacs, if that would help change your mind.

Hi Michael,

how nice to get a reaction after all (you are the first).

First let me say that I have been a big XEmacs user for many
years.  One of my bigger packages (IDLWAVE) was mostly developed
under XEmacs.  I did start using XEmacs at a time when it was
clearly the better System.

However, I have recently more and more the feeling how having to
cater for several Emacs versions is a drag.  The time I can
devote to this project (Org-mode) is becoming less, not more.
And I have to keep up with a system that generates 40 mailing
list mails a day, and not infrequently 10 commits on a single day.
I need to streamline, not to waste time.  My impression is that
Emacs right now has so much more momentum, and keeping the
compatibility code seems unnecessary.  I have written and
maintained compatible code for all my packages over 2 decades.
but I am not sure it makes sense anymore.

My feeling was also that the interest in the XEmacs side for
Org-mode is low.  To my knowledge there is no Org-mode package for
XEmacs, and the number of user on the mailing list seems to be very
limited.

So let me start with a question:  Is XEmacs still alive, innovative?
There has been no major release (it seems to me) for a very long time.
It was my feeling that the XEmacs project is on its way to a slow death.
I may be wrong about this.

You propose to help.  One way to go would be to continue a branch
based on Org-mode 6.35, and to merge any new stuff into that branch.
So a dedicated XEmacs-related person could keep such an XEmacs.
In my test branch where I remove compatibility code (not only
XEmacs, but also Emacs 21, and I'd love to ditch support for
Emacs 22 - even though I cannot do that just yet), quite some code
has changed, and I am not sure how easy it would be to keep
a compatibility branch up to date.

I am interested in a discussion, but I am not sure where it will lead.

- Carsten

> --
> Cheers =8-} Mike
> Friede, Völkerverständigung und überhaupt blabla

- Carsten

* Re: Re: Support (or not) for Emacs 21, and XEmacs
@ 2010-04-18  8:22     ` Michael Sperber
From: Michael Sperber @ 2010-04-18  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

many thanks for your e-mail!  (And many thanks for your work on
org-mode, which is the best piece of software I've started using for a
few years.)

> However, I have recently more and more the feeling how having to
> cater for several Emacs versions is a drag.

I understand and would feel the same in your situation.  So I was
wondering if I could make it easy enough for you so org-mode could keep
the XEmacs code in.

> My feeling was also that the interest in the XEmacs side for
> Org-mode is low.  To my knowledge there is no Org-mode package for
> XEmacs, and the number of user on the mailing list seems to be very
> limited.

Right.  However, the reason why this is so is trivial: org-mode is
GPLv3, and thus can't be a package for XEmacs, which is currently still
GPLv2.  (There has been a long and tedious discussion of this over in
XEmacs land which I'd like to spare you from.)  However, we've pretty
much resolved the GPLv3 issues over the past few months, and I hope that
we'll have a GPLv3 XEmacs very soon.  At which point I'll personally
make an XEmacs package.

> So let me start with a question:  Is XEmacs still alive, innovative?
> There has been no major release (it seems to me) for a very long time.
> It was my feeling that the XEmacs project is on its way to a slow death.
> I may be wrong about this.

Development, which was slow for a long time, has recently picked up
significantly.  Releases are a problem, I admit: The developers
essentially all use the development branch, which is by now vastly
different from the 21.4 release.  (Also, the GPLv3 issue has kept us
from being able to merge Emacs code for a long time.)  But we'll do a
release at some point.

> You propose to help.  One way to go would be to continue a branch
> based on Org-mode 6.35, and to merge any new stuff into that branch.

That's definitely a possibility.

> So a dedicated XEmacs-related person could keep such an XEmacs.
> In my test branch where I remove compatibility code (not only
> XEmacs, but also Emacs 21, and I'd love to ditch support for
> Emacs 22 - even though I cannot do that just yet), quite some code
> has changed, and I am not sure how easy it would be to keep
> a compatibility branch up to date.

Is there any way to leave the compatibility code in place and not worry
about it, so long as it does not interfere with your work on the current
Emacs?  (I don't know how big that interference is, I must admit.)  I
could then try to fix it up as development goes along.

--
Cheers =8-} Mike

* Re: Re: Support (or not) for Emacs 21, and XEmacs
@ 2010-04-18 14:03       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-04-18 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Sperber; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Michael,

On Apr 18, 2010, at 10:22 AM, Michael Sperber wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> many thanks for your e-mail!  (And many thanks for your work on
> org-mode, which is the best piece of software I've started using for a
> few years.)
>
> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> However, I have recently more and more the feeling how having to
>> cater for several Emacs versions is a drag.
>
> I understand and would feel the same in your situation.  So I was
> wondering if I could make it easy enough for you so org-mode could
> keep
> the XEmacs code in.
>
>> My feeling was also that the interest in the XEmacs side for
>> Org-mode is low.  To my knowledge there is no Org-mode package for
>> XEmacs, and the number of user on the mailing list seems to be very
>> limited.
>
> Right.  However, the reason why this is so is trivial: org-mode is
> GPLv3, and thus can't be a package for XEmacs, which is currently
> still
> GPLv2.  (There has been a long and tedious discussion of this over in
> XEmacs land which I'd like to spare you from.)  However, we've pretty
> much resolved the GPLv3 issues over the past few months, and I hope
> that
> we'll have a GPLv3 XEmacs very soon.  At which point I'll personally
> make an XEmacs package.
>
>> So let me start with a question:  Is XEmacs still alive, innovative?
>> There has been no major release (it seems to me) for a very long
>> time.
>> It was my feeling that the XEmacs project is on its way to a slow
>> death.
>> I may be wrong about this.
>
> Development, which was slow for a long time, has recently picked up
> significantly.  Releases are a problem, I admit: The developers
> essentially all use the development branch, which is by now vastly
> different from the 21.4 release.  (Also, the GPLv3 issue has kept us
> from being able to merge Emacs code for a long time.)  But we'll do a
> release at some point.
>
>> You propose to help.  One way to go would be to continue a branch
>> based on Org-mode 6.35, and to merge any new stuff into that branch.
>
> That's definitely a possibility.
>
>> So a dedicated XEmacs-related person could keep such an XEmacs.
>> In my test branch where I remove compatibility code (not only
>> XEmacs, but also Emacs 21, and I'd love to ditch support for
>> Emacs 22 - even though I cannot do that just yet), quite some code
>> has changed, and I am not sure how easy it would be to keep
>> a compatibility branch up to date.
>
> Is there any way to leave the compatibility code in place and not
> worry
> about it, so long as it does not interfere with your work on the
> current
> Emacs?  (I don't know how big that interference is, I must admit.)  I
> could then try to fix it up as development goes along.

Well,

here are some of the major annoyances for me:

1. posix character classes in regular expressions, thinks like [:alpha:]
    These are nice because they work well with arbitrary languages.
    Does XEmacs suppor these now?
2. The overlay API - I think XEmacs actually has a compatibility lib
    for these, is that correct?
    One of the things you could do it to figure out if I can also switch
    to the API calls overlays-in and overlays-at in that library.
    My own implementations are slightly different, and I am not sure I
    can rely on the ones in the xemacs library.
3. outline.el.  Last time  looked, XEmacs still had the horrible old
    outline.el which is pretty much impossible to program.
    I do have a port, xemacs/noutline.el in the Org distribution - if
you
    could get that into XEmacs, that would get rid of a major annoyance,
    including complicated installation instructions.
4. Can you make XEmacs understand mouse-3 instead of button3 ?  Or
    maybe it does understand these by now?

If you would take it on yourself to make a package for XEmacs - that
would be helpful, because then I can remove special installation
instructions for XEmacs and just tell people to get the package.

I guess you could make such a package anyway - even if it currently
cannot get into the XEmacs distribution because of license discussions.

The compromise for me would be this:

- You fix the things above.
- I leave the rest of the necessary compatibility code in
- I program any new features with whatever is available
   in Emacs 22/23 and rely on you to make it XEmacs compatible.....

Cheers

- Carsten

* Re: Re: Support (or not) for Emacs 21, and XEmacs
@ 2010-04-19 11:00         ` Michael Sperber
                             ` (2 more replies)
From: Michael Sperber @ 2010-04-19 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> The compromise for me would be this:
>
> - You fix the things above.
> - I leave the rest of the necessary compatibility code in
> - I program any new features with whatever is available
>   in Emacs 22/23 and rely on you to make it XEmacs compatible.....

That would be wonderful.  I'll see that the issues are addressed:

> 1. posix character classes in regular expressions, thinks like [:alpha:]
>    These are nice because they work well with arbitrary languages.
>    Does XEmacs suppor these now?

No, but I'll see to it that they are.

> 2. The overlay API - I think XEmacs actually has a compatibility lib
>    for these, is that correct?

Correct.

>    One of the things you could do it to figure out if I can also switch
>    to the API calls overlays-in and overlays-at in that library.

You should, anyway: I'll take care of any problems.  I take it something
about these didn't work for you in the past: If that is so, a sentence
or two on what those problems were would be much appreciated.

> 3. outline.el.  Last time  looked, XEmacs still had the horrible old
>    outline.el which is pretty much impossible to program.
>    I do have a port, xemacs/noutline.el in the Org distribution - if you
>    could get that into XEmacs, that would get rid of a major annoyance,
>    including complicated installation instructions.

I'm working on this right now - should be no big problem.  A few minor
incompatibilities with our current outline.el need to be addressed, but
I'm working on them.

> 4. Can you make XEmacs understand mouse-3 instead of button3 ?  Or
>    maybe it does understand these by now?

No; I'll try to get this in.

Won't all happen overnight, but I'm getting to work on it.  I very much
appreciate your willingness to help!

--
Cheers =8-} Mike

* Re: Re: Support (or not) for Emacs 21, and XEmacs
@ 2010-04-19 11:19           ` Michael Sperber
From: Michael Sperber @ 2010-04-19 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

One more thing: Are patches like this one acceptable? (Needed to make
yesterday's checkout work on XEmacs)

diff --git a/lisp/org.el b/lisp/org.el
index 7cad962..5cca11e 100644
--- a/lisp/org.el
+++ b/lisp/org.el
@@ -17743,7 +17743,7 @@ the functionality can be provided as a fall-back.")
   (org-set-local 'fill-paragraph-function 'org-fill-paragraph)
   ;; Adaptive filling: To get full control, first make sure that
   ;; `adaptive-fill-regexp' never matches.  Then install our own matcher.
-  (unless (local-variable-p 'adaptive-fill-regexp)
+  (unless (local-variable-p 'adaptive-fill-regexp (current-buffer))
     (org-set-local 'org-adaptive-fill-regexp-backup
                    adaptive-fill-regexp))
   (org-set-local 'adaptive-fill-regexp "\000")

--
Cheers =8-} Mike

* Re: Re: Support (or not) for Emacs 21, and XEmacs
@ 2010-04-19 15:51             ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-04-19 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Sperber; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 19, 2010, at 1:19 PM, Michael Sperber wrote:

> One more thing: Are patches like this one acceptable? (Needed to make
> yesterday's checkout work on XEmacs)
>
> diff --git a/lisp/org.el b/lisp/org.el
> index 7cad962..5cca11e 100644
> --- a/lisp/org.el
> +++ b/lisp/org.el
> @@ -17743,7 +17743,7 @@ the functionality can be provided as a fall-
> back.")
>   (org-set-local 'fill-paragraph-function 'org-fill-paragraph)
>   ;; Adaptive filling: To get full control, first make sure that
>   ;; `adaptive-fill-regexp' never matches.  Then install our own
> matcher.
> -  (unless (local-variable-p 'adaptive-fill-regexp)
> +  (unless (local-variable-p 'adaptive-fill-regexp (current-buffer))
>     (org-set-local 'org-adaptive-fill-regexp-backup
>                    adaptive-fill-regexp))
>   (org-set-local 'adaptive-fill-regexp "\000")

That is acceptable - but I think that making BUFFER default to
(current-buffer)
does make a lot of sense - which is why making that argument optional
in XEmacs
is a good idea anyway.

- Carsten

* Re: Re: Support (or not) for Emacs 21, and XEmacs
@ 2010-04-19 15:54               ` Michael Sperber
From: Michael Sperber @ 2010-04-19 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> That is acceptable - but I think that making BUFFER default to
> (current-buffer) does make a lot of sense - which is why making that
> argument optional in XEmacs is a good idea anyway.

It would - but the problem is that in XEmacs, an omitted BUFFER argument
means something different from (current-buffer):

`local-variable-p' is a built-in function
  -- loaded from "/afs/informatik.uni-tuebingen.de/home/sperber/build/xemacs/src/symbols.c"
(local-variable-p SYMBOL BUFFER &optional AFTER-SET)

Documentation:
Return t if SYMBOL's value is local to BUFFER.
If optional third arg AFTER-SET is non-nil, return t if SYMBOL would be
buffer-local after it is set, regardless of whether it is so presently.
A nil value for BUFFER is *not* the same as (current-buffer), but means
"no buffer".  Specifically:

-- If BUFFER is nil and AFTER-SET is nil, a return value of t indicates that
   the variable is one of the special built-in variables that is always
   buffer-local. (This includes `buffer-file-name', `buffer-read-only',
   `buffer-undo-list', and others.)

-- If BUFFER is nil and AFTER-SET is t, a return value of t indicates that
   the variable has had `make-variable-buffer-local' applied to it.

--
Cheers =8-} Mike

* Re: Re: Support (or not) for Emacs 21, and XEmacs
@ 2010-04-19 15:55                 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-04-19 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Sperber; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

OK.

- Carsten

@ 2010-04-19 15:59           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-04-19 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Sperber; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 19, 2010, at 1:00 PM, Michael Sperber wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> The compromise for me would be this:
>>
>> - You fix the things above.
>> - I leave the rest of the necessary compatibility code in
>> - I program any new features with whatever is available
>>  in Emacs 22/23 and rely on you to make it XEmacs compatible.....
>
> That would be wonderful.  I'll see that the issues are addressed:
>
>> 1. posix character classes in regular expressions, thinks like
>> [:alpha:]
>>   These are nice because they work well with arbitrary languages.
>>   Does XEmacs suppor these now?
>
> No, but I'll see to it that they are.

Right now I am using a macro to replace them with the corresponding
ASCII character sets - but this is not nice and even wrong in foreign
languages.

>> 2. The overlay API - I think XEmacs actually has a compatibility lib
>>   for these, is that correct?
>
> Correct.
>
>>   One of the things you could do it to figure out if I can also
>> switch
>>   to the API calls overlays-in and overlays-at in that library.
>
> You should, anyway: I'll take care of any problems.  I take it
> something
> about these didn't work for you in the past: If that is so, a sentence
> or two on what those problems were would be much appreciated.

I don't remember - I wrote these compatibility functions without
knowledge
of the library in XEmacs.  So it is well possible that the library
functions just work - I will just switch - and wait for any bug reports.

>> 3. outline.el.  Last time  looked, XEmacs still had the horrible old
>>   outline.el which is pretty much impossible to program.
>>   I do have a port, xemacs/noutline.el in the Org distribution - if
>> you
>>   could get that into XEmacs, that would get rid of a major
>> annoyance,
>>   including complicated installation instructions.
>
> I'm working on this right now - should be no big problem.  A few minor
> incompatibilities with our current outline.el need to be addressed,
> but
> I'm working on them.

OK. This is a potential source of future problems - but we will see.

>> 4. Can you make XEmacs understand mouse-3 instead of button3 ?  Or
>>   maybe it does understand these by now?
>
> No; I'll try to get this in.
>
> Won't all happen overnight, but I'm getting to work on it.  I very
> much
> appreciate your willingness to help!

Thank you for your willingness to take much off my task list.

- Carsten

* Re: Re: Support (or not) for Emacs 21, and XEmacs
@ 2010-04-23 15:50         ` Michael Sperber
From: Michael Sperber @ 2010-04-23 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> 4. Can you make XEmacs understand mouse-3 instead of button3 ?  Or
>    maybe it does understand these by now?

It actually does this now.  I've attached a patch that eliminates the
relevant featurep conditionals.

--
Cheers =8-} Mike

diff --git a/lisp/org-agenda.el b/lisp/org-agenda.el
index 93ef921..886dacf 100644
--- a/lisp/org-agenda.el
+++ b/lisp/org-agenda.el
@@ -1663,9 +1663,9 @@ The following commands are available:
 (org-defkey org-agenda-mode-map "\C-c\C-x\C-mp"    'org-mobile-push)

 (org-defkey org-agenda-mode-map
-  (if (featurep 'xemacs) [(button2)] [(mouse-2)]) 'org-agenda-goto-mouse)
+  [(mouse-2)] 'org-agenda-goto-mouse)
 (org-defkey org-agenda-mode-map
-  (if (featurep 'xemacs) [(button3)] [(mouse-3)]) 'org-agenda-show-mouse)
+  [(mouse-3)] 'org-agenda-show-mouse)
 (when org-agenda-mouse-1-follows-link
   (org-defkey org-agenda-mode-map [follow-link] 'mouse-face))
 (easy-menu-define org-agenda-menu org-agenda-mode-map "Agenda menu"
diff --git a/lisp/org-mouse.el b/lisp/org-mouse.el
index 2d68b1a..22624d3 100644
--- a/lisp/org-mouse.el
+++ b/lisp/org-mouse.el
@@ -1132,7 +1132,7 @@ SCHEDULED: or DEADLINE: or ANYTHINGLIKETHIS:"
    '(lambda ()
      (setq org-mouse-context-menu-function 'org-mouse-agenda-context-menu)
      (define-key org-agenda-mode-map
-       (if (featurep 'xemacs) [button3] [mouse-3])
+       [mouse-3]
        'org-mouse-show-context-menu)
      (define-key org-agenda-mode-map [down-mouse-3] 'org-mouse-move-tree-start)
      (define-key org-agenda-mode-map (if (featurep 'xemacs) [(control mouse-4)] [C-mouse-4]) 'org-agenda-earlier)
diff --git a/lisp/org.el b/lisp/org.el
index 7cad962..ebc55fd 100644
--- a/lisp/org.el
+++ b/lisp/org.el
@@ -4481,9 +4481,9 @@ The following commands are available:

 (defvar org-mouse-map (make-sparse-keymap))
 (org-defkey org-mouse-map
-  (if (featurep 'xemacs) [button2] [mouse-2]) 'org-open-at-mouse)
+  [mouse-2] 'org-open-at-mouse)
 (org-defkey org-mouse-map
-  (if (featurep 'xemacs) [button3] [mouse-3]) 'org-find-file-at-mouse)
+  [mouse-3] 'org-find-file-at-mouse)
 (when org-mouse-1-follows-link
   (org-defkey org-mouse-map [follow-link] 'mouse-face))
 (when org-tab-follows-link
@@ -13590,9 +13590,9 @@ user."
 		 (map (copy-keymap calendar-mode-map))
 		 (minibuffer-local-map (copy-keymap minibuffer-local-map)))
 	    (org-defkey map (kbd "RET") 'org-calendar-select)
-	    (org-defkey map (if (featurep 'xemacs) [button1] [mouse-1])
+	    (org-defkey map [mouse-1]
 			'org-calendar-select-mouse)
-	    (org-defkey map (if (featurep 'xemacs) [button2] [mouse-2])
+	    (org-defkey map [mouse-2]
 			'org-calendar-select-mouse)
 	    (org-defkey minibuffer-local-map [(meta shift left)]
 			(lambda () (interactive)

@ 2010-04-23 19:03           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-04-23 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Sperber; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Michael,

thank you very much for this!  I have (sort-of) applied the patch.

Please try to make your patches always against the latest git version
of Org-mode - we are moveing very fast.

- Carsten

@ 2010-05-07  7:51           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-05-07  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Sperber; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Michael,

any progress with integrating noutline.el into XEmacs?

Thanks

- Carsten

@ 2010-05-07  8:30             ` Michael Sperber
From: Michael Sperber @ 2010-05-07  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> any progress with integrating noutline.el into XEmacs?

Yes: I've tweaked it (and its dependents) appropriately, committed it to
the packages repository, and it's now in pre-release.  My intention was
to e-mail you as soon as there was an official release of the relevant
packages.

--
Cheers =8-} Mike

* Re: Re: Support (or not) for Emacs 21, and XEmacs
@ 2010-05-07  9:21               ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-05-07  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Sperber; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On May 7, 2010, at 10:30 AM, Michael Sperber wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> any progress with integrating noutline.el into XEmacs?
>
> Yes: I've tweaked it (and its dependents) appropriately, committed
> it to
> the packages repository, and it's now in pre-release.  My intention
> was
> to e-mail you as soon as there was an official release of the relevant
> packages.

Excellent - so I will stop bothering you about it - just wanted to
make sure that we are moving on this front.

Thanks *a lot*.

- Carsten