* jabref like orgmode based solution to bibliography management (not for latex)
@ 2015-05-30  8:20 Xebar Saram
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Xebar Saram @ 2015-05-30  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org mode

Hi all

i have been using jabref for the past 2-4 years in my academia work to
manage my reference library. i dont use latex (..its on my TODO list...when
(f ever) i have time..) so for now i just want something to manage my
references. the key things i need to move over from jabref are:

1. easy add references

2. a way to quick filter references (helm bibtex seems like a good solution)

3. filter lists based on tags/keywords (orgmode has that covered)

4. this one is important: a way to quickly export selected references in
word/odf/html based on a pre fixed style (ie  Nature, Chicago etc)

anyone uses such a system in emacs/org and can recommend the way to go?

thx!

* Re: jabref like orgmode based solution to bibliography management (not for latex)
@ 2015-05-30  8:46 ` Vaidheeswaran C
From: Vaidheeswaran C @ 2015-05-30  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Saturday 30 May 2015 01:50 PM, Xebar Saram wrote:

> 4. this one is important: a way to quickly export selected references in
> word/odf/html based on a pre fixed style (ie  Nature, Chicago etc)

You may have to move to new citation syntax on my private repo.

See http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode/org-cv.git

The example org and odt files are available in this post:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2015-03/msg00451.html
The documentation is in ox-jabref.el

If you report issues, I will address them promptly.

* Re: jabref like orgmode based solution to bibliography management (not for latex)
@ 2015-05-30  9:59 ` Otto Pichlhöfer
From: Otto Pichlhöfer @ 2015-05-30  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Xebar Saram <zeltakc <at> gmail.com> writes:

> 4. this one is important: a way to quickly export selected references in
word/odf/html based on a pre fixed style (ie  Nature, Chicago etc)

You might want to finish up the citations after the paper is exported.
Have a look at
http://www.docear.org/software/add-ons/docear4word/overview/

Regards,
Otto

* Re: jabref like orgmode based solution to bibliography management (not for latex)
@ 2015-05-30 15:36 ` Titus von der Malsburg
From: Titus von der Malsburg @ 2015-05-30 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xebar Saram; +Cc: org mode

On 2015-05-30 Sat 01:20, Xebar Saram wrote:
> Hi all
>
> i have been using jabref for the past 2-4 years in my academia work to
> manage my reference library. i dont use latex (..its on my TODO list...when
> (f ever) i have time..) so for now i just want something to manage my
> references. the key things i need to move over from jabref are:

Author of helm-bibtex here.

> 1. easy add references

Helm-bibtex doesn’t deal with this because I prefer to edit my BibTeX
file by hand.  BibTeX retrieved from journals is almost always messy and
I need to edit it anyway.  It’s not too hard, though: I click on BibTeX
export on the journal page, the BibTeX file is opened in Emacs, I fix
it, and use a command that appends it to my bibliography.

However, I think org-ref has tools that do more to support importing new
entries and org-ref combines well with helm-bibtex.

> 2. a way to quick filter references (helm bibtex seems like a good solution)

That’s what helm-bibtex was written to solve.

> 3. filter lists based on tags/keywords (orgmode has that covered)

In helm-bibtex you can also search for keywords and tags.

> 4. this one is important: a way to quickly export selected references in
> word/odf/html based on a pre fixed style (ie  Nature, Chicago etc)

helm-bibtex can generate references in APA style but as far as I can see
Chicago style is very similar, so it shouldn’t be hard to add support
for that.

> anyone uses such a system in emacs/org and can recommend the way to
> go?

For more details, see: https://github.com/tmalsburg/helm-bibtex

  Titus

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: jabref like orgmode based solution to bibliography management (not for latex)
@ 2015-05-30 15:56   ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2015-05-30 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Titus von der Malsburg; +Cc: Xebar Saram, org mode

On Saturday, May 30, 2015, Titus von der Malsburg <malsburg@posteo.de>
wrote:

> On 2015-05-30 Sat 01:20, Xebar Saram wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > i have been using jabref for the past 2-4 years in my academia work to
> > manage my reference library. i dont use latex (..its on my TODO
> list...when
> > (f ever) i have time..) so for now i just want something to manage my
> > references. the key things i need to move over from jabref are:
>
> Author of helm-bibtex here.
>
> > 1. easy add references
>
> Helm-bibtex doesn’t deal with this because I prefer to edit my BibTeX
> file by hand.  BibTeX retrieved from journals is almost always messy and
> I need to edit it anyway.  It’s not too hard, though: I click on BibTeX
> export on the journal page, the BibTeX file is opened in Emacs, I fix
> it, and use a command that appends it to my bibliography.
>
> However, I think org-ref has tools that do more to support importing new
> entries and org-ref combines well with helm-bibtex.

Org-ref has doi-utils that let you add bibtex entries and download PDFs
from a doi or crossref query.

--
John

-----------------------------------
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803
@johnkitchin
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

* Re: jabref like orgmode based solution to bibliography management (not for latex)
@ 2015-05-31 10:01     ` Xebar Saram
From: Xebar Saram @ 2015-05-31 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: org mode, Titus von der Malsburg

Thanks so much everyone for these great replies. i will investigate this
further today and let everyone know how im going with my transition :)

thanks again

PS: Titus, do you think  that the helm-bibtex APA style reference list
could be user customizable in the future?

Z.

@ 2015-05-31 12:43       ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2015-05-31 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xebar Saram; +Cc: org mode, Titus von der Malsburg

Org-ref also has some customizable formatting. It is pretty basic but
customizable.

@ 2015-05-31 16:23       ` Titus von der Malsburg
From: Titus von der Malsburg @ 2015-05-31 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xebar Saram; +Cc: org mode, John Kitchin

On 2015-05-31 Sun 03:01, Xebar Saram wrote:
> Thanks so much everyone for these great replies. i will investigate this
> further today and let everyone know how im going with my transition :)
>
> thanks again
>
> PS: Titus, do you think  that the helm-bibtex APA style reference list
> could be user customizable in the future?

Depends on what you mean by customizable.  If you mean a customization
option to allows you to replace the function for APA formatting with
another function, then yes that would definitely make sense.

  Titus

@ 2015-12-05 12:17         ` Xebar Saram
From: Xebar Saram @ 2015-12-05 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Titus von der Malsburg; +Cc: org mode

Hi again Titus and list

so the semester is finally nearing the end which means i finally have some
time (and a life :)) to get back to what i partially started a few months
ago.

i have a question regarding Predefined searches. i have a search that works
well for searching papers i authored.
i am thinking of moving towards 2 bib files instead of 1 big one, that is
one for my papers and one for the rest (any disadvantages of using 2 bib
files?).
i want to add in the Predefined search to only draw from my file (mypaper.bib),
even though in the default helm-bibtex sources it will have 2 inputs. is
such a thing possible?

this is how a current search i have looks like

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :results none

 ;; Define helm-search with predefined search expression:
 (defun helm-bibtex-ikloog-publications ()
   "Search BibTeX entries authored by me"
   (interactive)
   (helm :sources '(helm-source-bibtex)
         :full-frame t
         :input "kloog !unpublished !prep "
         :candidate-number-limit 500))
#+END_SRC

how does one add the specific .bib file filter?

best

@ 2015-12-05 13:05           ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2015-12-05 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xebar Saram; +Cc: org mode, Titus von der Malsburg

Try (untested)

 (defun helm-bibtex-ikloog-publications ()
   "Search BibTeX entries authored by me"
   (interactive)
(let ((helm-bibtex-bibliography "your special bibfile"))

@ 2015-12-05 13:17             ` Xebar Saram
From: Xebar Saram @ 2015-12-05 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: org mode, Titus von der Malsburg

Hi John

Thanks for the quick answer. this does seem to work but as a side effect
seems to break the TAB key to select action
the message window shows:

helm-select-nth-action: Nothing is selected
No Actions available [8 times]

thx again

@ 2015-12-05 13:31               ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2015-12-05 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xebar Saram; +Cc: org mode, Titus von der Malsburg

I cannot reproduce that, and it shouldn't have any effect. Maybe
something else is going on.

@ 2015-12-05 18:04                 ` Titus von der Malsburg
From: Titus von der Malsburg @ 2015-12-05 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: Xebar Saram, org mode

John’s code should do the trick.  I don’t see how this could possibly
cause your problems with the action menu.  The change should be
completely transparent for Helm.

Regarding your other question: I don’t see any disadvantages of using
several BibTeX files but I also don’t see an advantage because
helm-bibtex gives you all you need to select your own publications with
just a few key strokes.  If helm-bibtex’ search does not work well in
your case (perhaps another author has the same name as you), I would
suggest using tags to mark your own publications:

  https://github.com/tmalsburg/helm-bibtex#tagging-publications

Titus

@ 2015-12-05 18:28                   ` Xebar Saram
From: Xebar Saram @ 2015-12-05 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)