* bibliographystyle in scimax
@ 2018-03-03  8:22 Joseph Vidal-Rosset
From: Joseph Vidal-Rosset @ 2018-03-03  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: Eric Fraga, emacs-orgmode list

Dear John,

I  am  happy   to  tell  you  that your  scimax
[[https://github.com/jkitchin/scimax ]] is a wonderful tool for emacs, for
org-mode and for exporting in LaTeX with references. I advice strongly
its use.

I am  using Gnus and not  mu4e to write  emails and it works  well now
thanks of the help of Eric Fraga.

This email  is just about  a detail. I guess  it would be  possible in
theory to get the  bibliography style that I want in  email as well as
in any other  exported document, but it  is not the case  for the html
export  and therefore  not for  html  email in  Gnus. It  is too  bad,
because  apalike for  example is  a good  option that  avoids Jan  von
Plato's reproach [[#vonplato2017][vonplato2017]]:

#+BEGIN_QUOTE
A great disservice is being done to scholarship by the reference system
prevalent today that has running numbers, usually in square brackets,
for the items in the references. The defects of this system are twofold.
First, it is enormously disturbing for the reader to be constantly
checking the list of references to see what article or book is being
referred to. The reader’s memory is burdened with information that
has no meaning elsewhere. Second, the awareness of who did what
and when is eroded little by little. If we read Gödel (1931) or Gentzen
(1936), we know what that is, contrary to a plain [104] and [90], say,
and similarly with hundreds of other works. Such couplings of names
and years give us a timeline that is indispensable for an awareness of
the development of logic or any other part of science. The thoughtless
“bibtex” square bracket numbering system of references is destroying
such awareness and should therefore be universally abandoned. It has
just one, totally inessential advantage: that it saves some space. In a
standard article, that may be a few lines, and in a book, a page or two.
#+END_QUOTE

So, do you  think that it is possible to  adopt the apalike bibliography
style in html document also?

Best wishes,

Jo.

* Bibliography
** Jan von Plato - {The Great Formal Machinery Works: Theories of Deduction and Computation at the Origins of the Digital Age}
  :PROPERTIES:
     :CUSTOM_ID: vonplato2017
   :=TYPE=: book
   :=KEY=: vonplato2017
   :TITLE: {{The Great Formal Machinery Works: Theories of Deduction and Computation at the Origins of the Digital Age}}
   :AUTHOR: {Jan von Plato}
   :PUBLISHER: {Princeton University Press}
   :ISBN: {0691174172,9780691174174}
   :YEAR: {2017}
   :ADDRESS: {Princeton}
   :SERIES: {}
   :EDITION: {}
   :VOLUME: {}
  :END:

* Re: bibliographystyle in scimax
@ 2018-03-09  7:16 ` Simonyi András
From: Simonyi András @ 2018-03-09  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Vidal-Rosset; +Cc: emacs-orgmode list

Dear Joseph,

I'm not familiar with scimax, but if it uses org-ref to handle
citations then you might give a try to citeproc-orgref
(https://github.com/andras-simonyi/citeproc-orgref) which is able to
format BibTeX citations in html exports according to any CSL style
(Chicago author-date is the default).

best wishes,

András

@ 2018-03-09  8:24   ` Joseph Vidal-Rosset
From: Joseph Vidal-Rosset @ 2018-03-09  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simonyi András; +Cc: emacs-orgmode list

Le    ven.   09    mars    2018   à    08:16:22    ,   Simonyi    András
<andras.simonyi@gmail.com> a envoyé ce message:
> Dear Joseph,
>
> I'm not familiar with scimax, but if it uses org-ref to handle
> citations then you might give a try to citeproc-orgref
> (https://github.com/andras-simonyi/citeproc-orgref) which is able to
> format BibTeX citations in html exports according to any CSL style
> (Chicago author-date is the default).
>
> best wishes,
>
> András

Dear Andras,

Many thanks  for this  help. I  just succeeded  this morning  to install
citeproc   and   citeproc-orgref   (I    ignored   the   Emacs   command
/package-install-file/, thanks to  you, I know it now!).  Of course, I'm
using org-ref that is the best  program that I know to manage references
(again, many thanks to John Kitchin for this amazing tool).

I am going to test citeprog-ref soon and I will inform you.

We stay in touch,

Best wishes,

Jo

* Re: bibliographystyle in scimax
@ 2018-03-10  9:52     ` András Simonyi
From: András Simonyi @ 2018-03-10  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Vidal-Rosset; +Cc: emacs-orgmode list

Dear Joseph,

I'm looking forward to hear about your experiences. FYI, out of
curiosity I tried out citeproc-orgref with mu4e (I don't use GNUS), and
it worked very much as expected except that I've found a typo/bug in the
default bibliography header for html export, which you might wish to
correct by setting the value of the variable

citeproc-orgref-html-bib-header

to something like

"<h2>Bibliography</h2>\n"

instead of the default syntactically incorrect

"<h2 class='citeproc-orgref-bib-h2'>Bibliography</h1>\n"

(I plan to have a new release sometime next week which will fix this
among other improvements.)

best wishes,

András