From: Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Quick and easy installation instructions
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 21:27:51 +0200	[thread overview]

Dan Davison <davison@stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:
> OK, so we're agreed. But your points below don't seem to describe a less
> technical route. Could you describe the less technical version of the
> instructions for the method that you are advocating?

Installing is something technical and I'm a tech-head, so you're asking
something of me I'm not really qualified to do. :-)

My points were:

- I think that a proper installation via make is the way to go, but I
  recognize that some folks don't want or need to do that.

- There is a default place where Emacs expects this kind of stuff and
  has some magic implemented to make it work without further
  configuration, and that place is site-lisp.  You can put it someplace
  else, but then you have to alter the load-path or you are at the mercy
  of some special configuration to make the same magic work in other
  places, too (I've had ~/lisp set up that way when I was still
  compiling Emacs myself).

- If org was delivered and compiled in 'org/' rather than 'lisp/', one
  could instruct users to just take that folder and copy/drag it into
  the site-lisp directory of their Emacs installation.  You can do that
  with the lisp folder, but I'd at least tell people to please rename it
  to org after doing the copy.

If you want to get any less technical than that, I'd suggest ELPA or
something like it (as has been discussed already in another thread).
ELPA packages build and configure themselves as far as possible, so that
should take out the guesswork for novice users.  Also it looks like it
will come standard with Emacs24 (with a GNU archive and the possibility
to add additional archives, which could take care of the "bleeding
edge"), so there will be absolutely no "installation" work required from
the user from then on.

Regards,
Achim.

DIY Stuff: