* BBDB(3) or org-contacts
@ 2013-01-07 20:03 Gour
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Gour @ 2013-01-07 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I've decided to use Gnus for my mail news (converted my present setup
to Maildirs served by locally running dovecot, but need some time to
setup Gnus) and wonder what do you recommend for keeping my contacts?

Besides keeping  contacts just as Gnus addressbook, I'd like to store
some extra data for some contacts like date-of-birth, place-of-birth,
time-of-birth as well as to keep records for my counseling clients
about their appointments, iow. notes about every session they had with
the ability to perform some custom-based searches.

Based on this description it seems that org-contacts is more suitable
for the task than BBDB(3) offering ability to have custom format, easy
editing of contacts etc., but I do wonder about scalability considering
the following post
(http://www.hardakers.net/code/bbdb-to-org-contacts/) where the author
of bbdb-to-org-contacts converter wrote: "Once I point org-contacts at
my newly generated file containing 831 records it make org-contacts
really really slow down. I wouldn't care about the normal record
searching process for just looking something up, but it makes loading a
message in gnus unusable (5 second delay per message)."

Any hint?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Even if you are considered to be the most sinful of all sinners,
when you are situated in the boat of transcendental knowledge

* Re: BBDB(3) or org-contacts
@ 2013-01-08  6:46 ` David Rogers
From: David Rogers @ 2013-01-08  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gour; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Gour <gour@atmarama.net> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I've decided to use Gnus for my mail news (converted my present setup
> to Maildirs served by locally running dovecot, but need some time to
> setup Gnus) and wonder what do you recommend for keeping my contacts?
>
> Besides keeping  contacts just as Gnus addressbook, I'd like to store
> some extra data for some contacts like date-of-birth, place-of-birth,
> time-of-birth as well as to keep records for my counseling clients
> about their appointments, iow. notes about every session they had with
> the ability to perform some custom-based searches.
>
> Based on this description it seems that org-contacts is more suitable
> for the task than BBDB(3) offering ability to have custom format, easy
> editing of contacts etc., but I do wonder about scalability considering
> the following post
> (http://www.hardakers.net/code/bbdb-to-org-contacts/) where the author
> of bbdb-to-org-contacts converter wrote: "Once I point org-contacts at
> my newly generated file containing 831 records it make org-contacts
> really really slow down. I wouldn't care about the normal record
> searching process for just looking something up, but it makes loading a
> message in gnus unusable (5 second delay per message)."
>
> Any hint?

One caution is that org-contacts is not (as far as I know) getting any
attention anymore - its author has (last I heard) moved to a
Google-based contacts manager.

--
David R

* Re: BBDB(3) or org-contacts
@ 2013-01-08  7:45   ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2013-01-08  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 22:46:39 -0800
David Rogers <davidandrewrogers@gmail.com> wrote:

> One caution is that org-contacts is not (as far as I know) getting any
> attention anymore - its author has (last I heard) moved to a
> Google-based contacts manager.

Ohh..thank you for that. It's certainly something to consider.

Of course, we do not plan to move to any Google-based stuff. :-)

Sincerely,
Gour

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: BBDB(3) or org-contacts
@ 2013-01-08 16:14 ` Daniel Clemente
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Daniel Clemente @ 2013-01-08 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gour; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

El Mon, 7 Jan 2013 21:03:24 +0100 Gour va escriure:
> of bbdb-to-org-contacts converter wrote: "Once I point org-contacts at
> my newly generated file containing 831 records it make org-contacts
> really really slow down. I wouldn't care about the normal record
> searching process for just looking something up, but it makes loading a
> message in gnus unusable (5 second delay per message)."

  I use org-contacts with Wanderlust and I see it makes contact completion very slow (5 seconds for each keypress, and that's with only 200 contacts).
  Therefore I use its infrastructre (because I like it) but I don't run its code. I'll explain myself:

  I keep this structure in an .org file:

** John von Neumann															:mathematic:
   :PROPERTIES:
   :EMAIL:	john@neumann.com
   :END:
- some info

  I use tags, I store e-mails, and I can write any infos, subsections, appointments, tasks, etc. which I want; even clock in.
  If I want to search for a contact, I simply open that buffer and use C-s or do a tags search.
  You can use org-capture to fill that file.

  I strongly prefer this system over BBDB.

Greetings,
Daniel

* Re: OBBDB(3) or org-contacts
@ 2013-01-08 17:16 ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2013-01-08 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gour; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Gour <gour@atmarama.net> writes:

> Based on this description it seems that org-contacts is more suitable
> for the task than BBDB(3) offering ability to have custom format, easy
> editing of contacts etc., but I do wonder about scalability considering
> the following post
> (http://www.hardakers.net/code/bbdb-to-org-contacts/) where the author
> of bbdb-to-org-contacts converter wrote: "Once I point org-contacts at
> my newly generated file containing 831 records it make org-contacts
> really really slow down. I wouldn't care about the normal record
> searching process for just looking something up, but it makes loading a
> message in gnus unusable (5 second delay per message)."

FYI, I tried (again) to use org-contacts a while back and still see the
same speed problems.  It's great for small contacts, but not for large.

I think what would be needed would be to read the file and store it in
an elisp structure and then just stat() the file every time a lookup
happened and if it hasn't changed, then use the elisp or else reparse.
It's not like the data should be changing *that* much so it shouldn't
need to be reread a lot.  And it's the parsing/searching that takes too
long.

But I certainly like the org-mode format much much much better than
bbdb(3).  Which I'm still using, unfortunately.
--
Wes Hardaker
My Pictures:  http://capturedonearth.com/

* Re: BBDB(3) or org-contacts
@ 2013-01-08 19:50   ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2013-01-08 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 17:14:43 +0100
Daniel Clemente <n142857@gmail.com> wrote:

>   I use org-contacts with Wanderlust and I see it makes contact
> completion very slow (5 seconds for each keypress, and that's with
> only 200 contacts).

Uhh...that's slow.

>   I use tags, I store e-mails, and I can write any infos,
> subsections, appointments, tasks, etc. which I want; even clock in.
> If I want to search for a contact, I simply open that buffer and use
> C-s or do a tags search. You can use org-capture to fill that file.

Thanks. Looks interesting.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
When your intelligence has passed out of the dense forest
of delusion, you shall become indifferent to all that has

* Re: OBBDB(3) or org-contacts
@ 2013-01-08 19:53   ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2013-01-08 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 09:16:41 -0800
Wes Hardaker <wjhns209@hardakers.net> wrote:

> FYI, I tried (again) to use org-contacts a while back and still see
> the same speed problems.  It's great for small contacts, but not for
> large.

:-(

> I think what would be needed would be to read the file and store it in
> an elisp structure and then just stat() the file every time a lookup
> happened and if it hasn't changed, then use the elisp or else reparse.
> It's not like the data should be changing *that* much so it shouldn't
> need to be reread a lot.  And it's the parsing/searching that takes
> too long.

I'm just starting (again) with Emacs/orgmode and I plan to learn some
elisp eventually, but not there (yet).

> But I certainly like the org-mode format much much much better than
> bbdb(3).  Which I'm still using, unfortunately.

Do you use bbdb3 and what are important things it brings over bbdb2?

Have you, maybe, tried mu4e or should I simply stick with proven Gnus?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
For him who has conquered the mind, the mind is the best of
friends; but for one who has failed to do so, his mind will

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: BBDB(3) or org-contacts
@ 2013-01-08 21:14   ` Michael Strey
From: Michael Strey @ 2013-01-08 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 05:14:43PM +0100, Daniel Clemente wrote:

[...]

>   Therefore I use its infrastructre (because I like it) but I don't run its code. I'll explain myself:
>
>   I keep this structure in an .org file:
>
> ** John von Neumann															:mathematic:
>    :PROPERTIES:
>    :EMAIL:	john@neumann.com
>    :END:
> - some info

1+

I've more than 1000 contacts and this system works well and with
reasonable speed.  For integration with mutt, I use Karl Voit's lbdb
module for org-contact [fn:1].

I've defined a set of properties derived from the VCard specification
and like Daniel, I have a Capture template to create new organisations
and contacts below them.

I use this as Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system.

Footnotes:

[fn:1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2011-10/msg01059.html

Regards
--
Michael Strey
www.strey.biz

* Re: BBDB(3) or org-contacts
@ 2013-01-09 14:16     ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2013-01-09 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 22:14:09 +0100
Michael Strey <mstrey@strey.biz> wrote:

> I've more than 1000 contacts and this system works well and with
> reasonable speed.  For integration with mutt, I use Karl Voit's lbdb
> module for org-contact [fn:1].

I'm very glad to hear it...

> I use this as Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system.

...and would like to use it as CRM as well. Can you, please, share some
more info about your setup (I'll probably use Gnus instead of Mutt)?

Sincerely,
Gour

--

@ 2013-01-09 16:08     ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2013-01-09 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gour; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Gour <gour@atmarama.net> writes:

>> But I certainly like the org-mode format much much much better than
>> bbdb(3).  Which I'm still using, unfortunately.
>
> Do you use bbdb3 and what are important things it brings over bbdb2?

I do, and "not much".  Slightly better highlighting and redefined set of
key bindings and thoughts (IE, you need to re-learn stuff too though).

> Have you, maybe, tried mu4e or should I simply stick with proven Gnus?

I have tried at times to switch away from gnus.  Every time I do, I come
running back because it's let me customize how I read mail over the
years and the features integrated into it are just not found everywhere else.
--

@ 2013-01-09 16:44       ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2013-01-09 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 08:08:15 -0800
Wes Hardaker <wjhns209@hardakers.net> wrote:

> I do, and "not much".  Slightly better highlighting and redefined set
> of key bindings and thoughts (IE, you need to re-learn stuff too
> though).

Thank you.

> I have tried at times to switch away from gnus.  Every time I do, I
> come running back because it's let me customize how I read mail over
> the years and the features integrated into it are just not found
> everywhere else.

This is helpful...I believe I'll do the same. :-)

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Whenever and wherever there is a decline in religious practice,
O descendant of Bharata, and a predominant rise of irreligion —

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: BBDB(3) or org-contacts
@ 2013-01-09 20:12   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-01-09 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Clemente; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Gour

Daniel Clemente <n142857@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> El Mon, 7 Jan 2013 21:03:24 +0100 Gour va escriure:
> > of bbdb-to-org-contacts converter wrote: "Once I point org-contacts at
> > my newly generated file containing 831 records it make org-contacts
> > really really slow down. I wouldn't care about the normal record
> > searching process for just looking something up, but it makes loading a
> > message in gnus unusable (5 second delay per message)."
> >

>   I use org-contacts with Wanderlust and I see it makes contact completion very slow (5 seconds for each keypress, and that's with only 200 contacts).
>   Therefore I use its infrastructre (because I like it) but I don't run its code. I'll explain myself:
>
>   I keep this structure in an .org file:
>
> ** John von Neumann															:mathematic:
>    :PROPERTIES:
>    :EMAIL:	john@neumann.com
>    :END:
> - some info
>

>   I use tags, I store e-mails, and I can write any infos, subsections, appointments, tasks, etc. which I want; even clock in.
>   If I want to search for a contact, I simply open that buffer and use C-s or do a tags search.
>   You can use org-capture to fill that file.
>

>   I strongly prefer this system over BBDB.

I use bbdb3 for my (admittedly, very simple) needs, but it can be
augmented with this kind of information fairly easily: "all problems in
computer science can be solved by another level of indirection" (Alan
Perlis).

Bind some key to org-open-at-point-global.  Add another field to the
bbdb entry with a link to get you to the org-contacts entry.  You can
even get a backlink to go from the org-contacts entry to the bbdb entry.

For example:

I have F7 bound to a sparse keymap for all things org, so I do

(define-key f7-keymap "o" 'org-open-at-point-global)

to bind org-open-at-point-global to "F7 o".

I add a "link" entry to the bbdb record:

,----
| Daniel Clemente
|                mail: n142857@gmail.com
|                link: [[file:~/lib/org/crm.org::Daniel Clemente]]
`----

I can then follow the link with ``F7 o'' - if the headline does not
exist, it creates it and then I can modify it to make into a bbdb link:

,----
| * [[bbdb:Daniel Clemente][Daniel Clemente]]
`----

making it easy to go back and forth.

HTH,
Nick

* Re: BBDB(3) or org-contacts
@ 2013-01-09 20:28     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-01-09 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-orgmode, Gour

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:

> I can then follow the link with ``F7 o'' - if the headline does not
> exist, it creates it and then I can modify it to make into a bbdb link:
>
> ,----
> | * [[bbdb:Daniel Clemente][Daniel Clemente]]
> `----
>
> making it easy to go back and forth.

The creation part depends on the value of
org-link-search-must-match-exact-headline which is set to
query-to-create (which is offered in the customization menu, but is not
documented in the doc string of the variable).

Unfortunately, that only allows for exact headline matches, so if
you modify the headline as I suggested, it won't match and it'll
ask you if you want to create it again.

It's probably better to add the link in the text of the entry
(or perhaps as a property of the entry).

Nick

* Re: BBDB(3) or org-contacts
@ 2013-01-10  9:01       ` Michael Strey
From: Michael Strey @ 2013-01-10  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Jan 09, 2013 at 03:16:09PM +0100, Gour wrote:

[...]

> > I use this as Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system.
>
> ...and would like to use it as CRM as well. Can you, please, share some
> more info about your setup (I'll probably use Gnus instead of Mutt)?

Here is my YASnippet template for the organisation

,----
| #name : Contact Organisation
| #key : org
| #contributor : Michael Strey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
| # --
| ** ${1:organisation}
| :PROPERTIES:
| :KIND:     org
| :ORG:      $1;${2:devision}
| :ADR;TYPE=work:${3:adr1};${4:adr2};${5:adr3};${6:city};${7:state};${8:zip_code};${9:country}
| :EMAIL:    mailto:${10:company_email}
| :TEL;PREF=1;TYPE="voice,work":[[tel:${11:tel}]]
| :TEL;TYPE="fax,work":[[tel:${12:fax}]]
| :LANG:     $14
| :END:
| $0
| Added: [`(org-read-date nil nil "+0d")`]
`----

and here that for a contact in the next sub-level

,----
| #name : Contact Individual
| #key : contact
| #contributor : Michael Strey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
| # --
| *** ${1:surname}, ${2:name}
| :LOGBOOK:
| - Added: [`(org-read-date nil nil "+0d")`]
| :END:
|
| :PROPERTIES:
| :KIND:     individual
| :ORG:      ${3:organisation};${4:devision}
| :TITLE:    ${5:title}
| :FN:       $2 $1
| :N:        $1;$2;;
| :NICKNAME: $19 $1
| :ADR;TYPE=work:${6:adr1};${7:adr2};${8:adr3};${9:city};${10:state};${11:zip_code};${12:country}
| :EMAIL:    mailto:${13:company_email}
| :TEL;PREF=1;TYPE="voice,work":[[tel:${14:tel}]]
| :TEL;TYPE="voice,cell":[[tel:${15:mobile}]]
| :TEL;TYPE="fax,work":[[tel:${16:fax}]]
| :LANG:     $18
| :END:
| $0
`----

For my private contacts I have a simpler template

,----
| #name : Contact Individual (private)
| #key : privat
| #contributor : Michael Strey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
| # --
| *** ${1:surname}, ${2:name}
| :PROPERTIES:
| :KIND:     individual
| :FN:       $2 $1
| :N:        $1;$2;;
| :NICKNAME: ${3:salutation}
| :ADR;TYPE=home:;;${4:adr3};${5:Dresden};${6:Sachsen};${7:zip_code};${8:Deutschland}
| :EMAIL:    mailto:${9:email}
| :TEL;PREF=1;TYPE="voice,home":[[tel:${10:tel}]]
| :TEL;TYPE="voice,cell":[[tel:${11:mobile}]]
| :LANG:     ${12:de}
| :END:
| $0
| Added: [`(org-read-date nil nil "+0d")`]
`----

The LOGBOOK drawer is used to store log notes with C-c C-z.  In the lead
phase, as long as I do not have a dedicated sales project with a contact
or organisation, I store all notes below the individual or organisation
respectively.

As soon as there is a real chance to sell something, I define a sales
project in a second file containing all of my sales projects.  Here
comes the YASnippet for such a project.

,----
| #name : Sales Project
| #key : salesp
| #contributor : Michael Strey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
| # --
| *** PENDING ${1:customer} -- ${2:product}                                       :SP:
| :PROPERTIES:
| :Customer: $1
| :Vendor:   ${3:vendor}
| :Product:  $2
| :Quantity_short: ${4:quantity}
| :Quantity_long:  ${5:quantity_long}
| :Price:    ${6:price}
| :Rate:     ${7:0.1}
| :Probability: ${8:0.5}
| :PlannedDeliveryDate:
| :Delivered: [ ]
| :Invoices: [ ]
| :Payed:    [ ]
| :COLUMNS: %Customer %Product %Price %Quantity_short(Qty$_1$) %Probability(Prob.) %Value1(Value) %Quantity_long(Qty$_2$) %Value2(Potential)
| :END:
| Added: [`(org-read-date nil nil "+0d")`]
| Last update: [`(org-read-date nil nil "+0d")`]
| #+BEGIN: columnview :hlines 1 :maxlevel 3 :id local
| | Customer | Product | Price | Qty$_1$ | Prob. | Value | Qty$_2$ | Potential |
| |----------+---------+-------+---------+-------+-------+---------+-----------|
| | Hyundai  | VEGA    | 10000 |       1 |   0.5 |  5000 |       1 |     10000 |
| #+TBLFM: \$6=\$3*\$4*\$5;%.0f::\$8=\$3*\$7;%.0f
| #+END:
| **** Outcome
| $0
| **** Contacts
| [[file:contacts.org::${9:surname}, ${10:name}][$10 $9]]
| **** Documents                                                       :noexport:
| **** Results                                                         :noexport:
| - [ ] Result
| - [ ] Link to following project
| - [ ] Ask for recommendations
| - [ ] Link to competitor(s)
| - [ ] Archiving (later) into external file
| **** Log
`----

Thus in general contacts.org is uses only for the contacts.  Projects
from salesprojects.org contain links to these contacts.  Links to
e-mails are stored in the sales projects (section Log) as well.

Regards
--
Michael Strey
www.strey.biz

* Re: BBDB(3) or org-contacts
@ 2013-01-11 11:29     ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2013-01-11 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Michael Strey <mstrey@strey.biz> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 05:14:43PM +0100, Daniel Clemente wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>   Therefore I use its infrastructre (because I like it) but I don't run its code. I'll explain myself:
>>   I keep this structure in an .org file:
>> ** John von Neumann															:mathematic:
>>    :PROPERTIES:
>>    :EMAIL:	john@neumann.com
>>    :END:
>> - some info
>
> 1+
>
> I've more than 1000 contacts

1012 at my side. No speed issues so far.

> and this system works well and with
> reasonable speed.  For integration with mutt, I use Karl Voit's lbdb
> module for org-contact [fn:1].

To be fair, the perl-script did not originate from me.

lbdb works like charm. With the script mentioned, I can query any
kind of (sub-)string of a contact. This is quite nice since I can

> I've defined a set of properties derived from the VCard specification
> and like Daniel, I have a Capture template to create new organisations
> and contacts below them.

You might also want to read:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/47478/

--
Karl Voit

* Re: OBBDB(3) or org-contacts
@ 2013-01-13 22:04     ` Eric S Fraga
                         ` (3 more replies)
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-01-13 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gour; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Gour <gour@atmarama.net> writes:

> Do you use bbdb3 and what are important things it brings over
> bbdb2?

I use bbdb3; never got to grips with org-contacts and I have too
many contacts in any case.  bbdb3 provides a subtle improvement to
bbdb2: better more logical key bindings and less surprising
behaviour overall.  I like it.

Org will interpret the "anniversary" (e.g. birthdays, wedding
anniversary, other dates) field in bbdb entries to bring in
information into the agenda view, if desired.  Look at
=org-bbdb-anniversary-format-alist=.

> Have you, maybe, tried mu4e or should I simply stick with proven
> Gnus?

I am a confirmed gnus user.  No other email system comes close to
doing what gnus can do.  Given the large volume of email I get,
splitting and scoring are essential to survival!  Integration with
bbdb is also obviously key for me.

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.3.50.1 and Org release_7.9.3a-808-gf94d81

* Re: OBBDB(3) or org-contacts
@ 2013-01-14  8:02       ` Gour
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Gour @ 2013-01-14  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 08:34:58 +1030
Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> I use bbdb3; never got to grips with org-contacts and I have too
> many contacts in any case.

No performance issues?

> bbdb3 provides a subtle improvement to bbdb2: better more logical key
> bindings and less surprising behaviour overall.  I like it.

Does bbdb3 provide more freedom to have some custom fields in my
contacts structure?

> Org will interpret the "anniversary" (e.g. birthdays, wedding
> anniversary, other dates) field in bbdb entries to bring in
> information into the agenda view, if desired.  Look at
> =org-bbdb-anniversary-format-alist=.

Thank you for that. I wasn't aware of it.

> I am a confirmed gnus user.  No other email system comes close to
> doing what gnus can do.  Given the large volume of email I get,
> splitting and scoring are essential to survival!  Integration with
> bbdb is also obviously key for me.

I also decided to use Gnus, but, atm, have some problem with its setup.

The funny thing is that I use it in the past, but forgot some things in
the meantime. :-)

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Bewildered by the modes of material nature, the ignorant fully
engage themselves in material activities and become attached. But

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: OBBDB(3) or org-contacts
@ 2013-01-14  8:36       ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2013-01-14  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 08:34:58 +1030
Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> I use bbdb3; never got to grips with org-contacts and I have too
> many contacts in any case.

No performance issues?

> bbdb3 provides a subtle improvement to bbdb2: better more logical key
> bindings and less surprising behaviour overall.  I like it.

Does bbdb3 provide more freedom to have some custom fields in my
contacts structure?

> Org will interpret the "anniversary" (e.g. birthdays, wedding
> anniversary, other dates) field in bbdb entries to bring in
> information into the agenda view, if desired.  Look at
> =org-bbdb-anniversary-format-alist=.

Thank you for that. I wasn't aware of it.

> I am a confirmed gnus user.  No other email system comes close to
> doing what gnus can do.  Given the large volume of email I get,
> splitting and scoring are essential to survival!  Integration with
> bbdb is also obviously key for me.

I also decided to use Gnus, but, atm, have some problem with its setup.

The funny thing is that I use it in the past, but forgot some things in
the meantime. :-)

Sincerely,
Gour

--
As the embodied soul continuously passes, in this body,
from boyhood to youth to old age, the soul similarly passes

* Re: OBBDB(3) or org-contacts
@ 2013-01-14 10:04       ` Myles English
From: Myles English @ 2013-01-14 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gour; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Gour,

Eric S Fraga writes:

> Gour <gour@atmarama.net> writes:
>
>> Do you use bbdb3 and what are important things it brings over
>> bbdb2?

> Org will interpret the "anniversary" (e.g. birthdays, wedding
> anniversary, other dates) field in bbdb entries to bring in
> information into the agenda view, if desired.  Look at
> =org-bbdb-anniversary-format-alist=.

I could never get this to work satisfactorily, I can either see
birthdays or wedding anniversaries in the agenda but not both.

>> Have you, maybe, tried mu4e or should I simply stick with proven
>> Gnus?

I used to use gnus but changed to mu4e.  My gnus broke during the change
to emacs24 and I couldn't find the help out there to fix it.  Mu4e has
good documentation and a very helpful developer.  It was very easy to
change to mu4e.  If I had a very high volume of emails I would consider
having another go at gnus.

Myles

* Re: OBBDB(3) or org-contacts
@ 2013-01-14 11:03         ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2013-01-14 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 10:04:28 +0000
Myles English <mylesenglish@gmail.com> wrote:

> I used to use gnus but changed to mu4e.  My gnus broke during the
> change to emacs24 and I couldn't find the help out there to fix it.
> Mu4e has good documentation and a very helpful developer.  It was
> very easy to change to mu4e.

The problem is that mu4e does not handle nntp and 95% of the mailing
lists I follow I do via gmane, so mu4e cannot solve all my mail-related
tasks.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
He is a perfect yogī who, by comparison to his own self,
sees the true equality of all beings, in both their

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: OBBDB(3) or org-contacts
                         ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-01-14 13:04       ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2013-01-14 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Gour

> I am a confirmed gnus user.  No other email system comes close to
> doing what gnus can do.  Given the large volume of email I get,
> splitting and scoring are essential to survival!  Integration with
> bbdb is also obviously key for me.

Slightly offtopic, but I'm a Mutt user that's eyeballed Gnus from a
distance for years. Could you elaborate on some of your favorite Gnus
features?

* Re: OBBDB(3) or org-contacts
@ 2013-01-14 13:27         ` Daimrod
From: Daimrod @ 2013-01-14 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Gour

Russell Adams <RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.Com> writes:

>> I am a confirmed gnus user.  No other email system comes close to
>> doing what gnus can do.  Given the large volume of email I get,
>> splitting and scoring are essential to survival!  Integration with
>> bbdb is also obviously key for me.
>
> Slightly offtopic, but I'm a Mutt user that's eyeballed Gnus from a
> distance for years. Could you elaborate on some of your favorite Gnus
> features?

He named it, splitting and scoring. The ability to easily mark a whole
thread as important or unimportant combined with expunged is (imo) essential
to manage large volume of email.

The expunge facility let me hide threads; when a message is expunged it
is not only marked as read, it just doesn't appear at all unless I
specifically ask otherwise.

OTOH when the score of a thread is increased, all messages in this
thread (old and new) will appear in bold.

--
Daimrod/Greg

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

* Re: OBBDB(3) or org-contacts
@ 2013-01-14 22:14         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-01-14 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gour; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Gour <gour@atmarama.net> writes:

> On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 08:34:58 +1030 Eric S Fraga
> <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> I use bbdb3; never got to grips with org-contacts and I have
>> too  many contacts in any case.
>
> No performance issues?

Not with BBDB, either version.  I have 760 contacts in BBDB.

>> bbdb3 provides a subtle improvement to bbdb2: better more
>> logical key bindings and less surprising behaviour overall.  I
>> like it.
>
> Does bbdb3 provide more freedom to have some custom fields in my
> contacts structure?

You can have any number of simple fields labelled whatever you
want.  I am not sure if you can define new structured ones (like
addresses, I mean).  I don't stress BBDB too much...

> I also decided to use Gnus, but, atm, have some problem with its
> setup.

Maybe post on the gnus mailing list?  Very helpful group.
--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.3.50.1 and Org release_7.9.3d-821-g35204a

* Re: OBBDB(3) or org-contacts
@ 2013-01-15 10:40           ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2013-01-15 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 08:44:03 +1030
Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> Not with BBDB, either version.  I have 760 contacts in BBDB.

That's good to hear. Thank you.

> You can have any number of simple fields labelled whatever you
> want.  I am not sure if you can define new structured ones (like
> addresses, I mean).  I don't stress BBDB too much...

Well, for instance I'd want to keep: date-of-birth, place-of-birth,
time-of-birth for my clients?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Even the intelligent are bewildered in determining what is action
and what is inaction. Now I shall explain to you what action is,

* Re: OBBDB(3) or org-contacts
@ 2013-01-16  0:46             ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-01-16  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gour; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Gour,

I see that you have posted on the bbdb mailing list so I suggest
we move this discussion there where you will find plenty of people
able to help!  We're well OT with respect to org related
discussion now...

cheers,
eric
--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.3.50.1 and Org release_7.9.3d-826-gbe0d87