* BBDB(3) or org-contacts
@ 2013-01-07 20:03 Gour
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Gour @ 2013-01-07 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I've decided to use Gnus for my mail news (converted my present setup
to Maildirs served by locally running dovecot, but need some time to
setup Gnus) and wonder what do you recommend for keeping my contacts?

Besides keeping  contacts just as Gnus addressbook, I'd like to store
some extra data for some contacts like date-of-birth, place-of-birth,
time-of-birth as well as to keep records for my counseling clients
about their appointments, iow. notes about every session they had with
the ability to perform some custom-based searches.

Based on this description it seems that org-contacts is more suitable
for the task than BBDB(3) offering ability to have custom format, easy
editing of contacts etc., but I do wonder about scalability considering
the following post
(http://www.hardakers.net/code/bbdb-to-org-contacts/) where the author
of bbdb-to-org-contacts converter wrote: "Once I point org-contacts at
my newly generated file containing 831 records it make org-contacts
really really slow down. I wouldn't care about the normal record
searching process for just looking something up, but it makes loading a
message in gnus unusable (5 second delay per message)."

Any hint?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Even if you are considered to be the most sinful of all sinners,
when you are situated in the boat of transcendental knowledge