* org-contacts: error on message startup
@ 2011-05-24 23:28 Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2011-05-24 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org

Hi all

Just trying to use org-contacts. There is an error for me whenever I
start a new message:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable completion-at-point-functions)
  add-to-list(completion-at-point-functions org-contacts-message-complete-function)
  (lambda nil (add-to-list (quote completion-at-point-functions) (quote org-contacts-message-complete-function)))()
  run-hooks(text-mode-hook message-mode-hook)
  apply(run-hooks (text-mode-hook message-mode-hook))
  run-mode-hooks(message-mode-hook)
  message-mode()
  message-pop-to-buffer("*mail*" nil)
  message-mail()
  gnus-group-mail(nil)
  call-interactively(gnus-group-mail nil nil)

Have I missed a point in the setup? I just added (require 'org-contacts)
and threw out all bbdb related code from .emacs and .gnus.el. Is there
anything else to do?

I'm using the latest git version of orgmode (release 7.5.299.gb638),
Emacs 23.1.50.1 (Ubuntu) and Gnus v5.13.

Thanks for help,

Sven

* Re: org-contacts: error on message startup
@ 2011-05-25  0:04 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-05-25  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-org

Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Just trying to use org-contacts. There is an error for me whenever I
> start a new message:
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable completion-at-point-functions)
>   add-to-list(completion-at-point-functions org-contacts-message-complete-function)
>   (lambda nil (add-to-list (quote completion-at-point-functions) (quote org-contacts-message-complete-function)))()
>   run-hooks(text-mode-hook message-mode-hook)
>   apply(run-hooks (text-mode-hook message-mode-hook))
>   run-mode-hooks(message-mode-hook)
>   message-mode()
>   message-pop-to-buffer("*mail*" nil)
>   message-mail()
>   gnus-group-mail(nil)
>   call-interactively(gnus-group-mail nil nil)
>
> Have I missed a point in the setup? I just added (require 'org-contacts)
> and threw out all bbdb related code from .emacs and .gnus.el. Is there
> anything else to do?
>
> I'm using the latest git version of orgmode (release 7.5.299.gb638),
> Emacs 23.1.50.1 (Ubuntu) and Gnus v5.13.

C-h v completion-at-point-functions RET says:

,----
| completion-at-point-functions is a variable defined in `minibuffer.el'.
| Its value is (tags-completion-at-point-function)
|

|   This variable is potentially risky when used as a file local variable.
|
| Documentation:
| Special hook to find the completion table for the thing at point.
| Each function on this hook is called in turns without any argument and should
| return either nil to mean that it is not applicable at point,
| or a function of no argument to perform completion (discouraged),
| or a list of the form (START END COLLECTION &rest PROPS) where
|  START and END delimit the entity to complete and should include point,
|  COLLECTION is the completion table to use to complete it, and
|  PROPS is a property list for additional information.
| Currently supported properties are:
|  `:predicate'           a predicate that completion candidates need to satisfy.
|  `:annotation-function' the value to use for `completion-annotate-function'.
`----

so it's an emacs thing, not an org thing. You can try loading minibuffer.elc but
it is rather surprising that it's not there already. Unless it's an emacs23 vs emacs24
thing - I run emacs24 and it's present there, but I just tried emacs23 and it does not
seem to be there even after I load-library minibuffer.el.

Nick

* Re: org-contacts: error on message startup
@ 2011-05-25  7:27   ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2011-05-25  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-org

Hi Nick, hi all

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> wrote:

>> Just trying to use org-contacts. There is an error for me whenever I
>> start a new message:
>>
>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable completion-at-point-functions)
>>   add-to-list(completion-at-point-functions org-contacts-message-complete-function)
>>   (lambda nil (add-to-list (quote completion-at-point-functions) (quote org-contacts-message-complete-function)))()
>>   run-hooks(text-mode-hook message-mode-hook)
>>   apply(run-hooks (text-mode-hook message-mode-hook))
>>   run-mode-hooks(message-mode-hook)
>>   message-mode()
>>   message-pop-to-buffer("*mail*" nil)
>>   message-mail()
>>   gnus-group-mail(nil)
>>   call-interactively(gnus-group-mail nil nil)
>>
>> Have I missed a point in the setup? I just added (require 'org-contacts)
>> and threw out all bbdb related code from .emacs and .gnus.el. Is there
>> anything else to do?
>>
>> I'm using the latest git version of orgmode (release 7.5.299.gb638),
>> Emacs 23.1.50.1 (Ubuntu) and Gnus v5.13.

> thing - I run emacs24 and it's present there, but I just tried emacs23
> and it does not seem to be there even after I load-library
> minibuffer.el.

That's right. Emacs 23 does not contain completion-at-point-functions.
Is it possible that all you guys are using Emacs 24?

I have copied the definition of this variable from the trunk version of
minibuffer.el into my .emacs file. Now the error message doesn't occur
any longer. Anyway completion does not work. Also the other Gnus-related
features of org-contacts don't work (for example ";" in the Summary
Buffer).

Can I conclude that org-contacts.el is for Emacs 24 only? That would be
a pity (and is not mentioned anywhere).

Greetings,

@ 2011-05-25 16:02     ` Michael Markert
From: Michael Markert @ 2011-05-25 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-org

On 25 May 2011, Sven Bretfeld wrote:

> Hi Nick, hi all
>
> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:
>> <snip>
>> thing - I run emacs24 and it's present there, but I just tried emacs23
>> and it does not seem to be there even after I load-library
>> minibuffer.el.
>
> That's right. Emacs 23 does not contain completion-at-point-functions.
> Is it possible that all you guys are using Emacs 24?
>
> I have copied the definition of this variable from the trunk version of
> minibuffer.el into my .emacs file. Now the error message doesn't occur
> any longer. Anyway completion does not work. Also the other Gnus-related
> features of org-contacts don't work (for example ";" in the Summary
> Buffer).
>
> Can I conclude that org-contacts.el is for Emacs 24 only? That would be
> a pity (and is not mentioned anywhere).

Hi Sven, I run org-contacts on Emacs 23.3, there is a
`completion-at-point-functions' and org-contacts works just fine.
But I recall myself trying with Gnus and it didn't work because
`completion-at-point' was not bound to keys.

But with wanderlust I don't see any issues. The problems must lie with
Gnus or the Gnus/org-contacts integration.

Michael

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 836 bytes --]

* Re: org-contacts: error on message startup
@ 2011-05-26  7:52       ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2011-05-26  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Markert; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-org

Hi Michael

Michael Markert <markert.michael@googlemail.com> writes:

> Hi Sven, I run org-contacts on Emacs 23.3, there is a
> `completion-at-point-functions' and org-contacts works just fine.
> But I recall myself trying with Gnus and it didn't work because
> `completion-at-point' was not bound to keys.

It is definitely not there in 23.1, the emacs-snapshot package which
AFAIK is the orebokech version that seems not to have been updated since
quite a while. I have checked the sources of minibuffer.el and it does
not define completion-at-point-functions.

This is a pity since Emacs Snapshot is the most actual you can get on
Ubuntu without adding foreign repos or compiling.

I have tried to use Emacs 24 from the emacs.naquadah.org repository
which, however, does not contain a Natty section. With the Maverick
packages org-contacts works.

But in Emacs 24 Gnus is generally buggy (nnimap does not split mails).
So I uninstalled it again.

The only way I can see at the moment is exchanging minibuffer.el in
Emacs 23.1 with a newer version. If this will result in a stable Emacs,
I don't know.

I had already converted my whole bbdb database to the org-contacts
structure without testing it before. So I'm quite frustrated.

@ 2011-05-26 10:06         ` Michael Markert
From: Michael Markert @ 2011-05-26 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-org

Hi Sven,

On 26 May 2011, Sven Bretfeld wrote:
> Michael Markert <markert.michael@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi Sven, I run org-contacts on Emacs 23.3, there is a
>> `completion-at-point-functions' and org-contacts works just fine.
>> But I recall myself trying with Gnus and it didn't work because
>> `completion-at-point' was not bound to keys.
>
> It is definitely not there in 23.1, the emacs-snapshot package which
> AFAIK is the orebokech version that seems not to have been updated
> since quite a while. I have checked the sources of minibuffer.el and
> it does not define completion-at-point-functions.

Oh I didn't say that, just, that it happened before Emacs 24.

Digging furher, you need (at least) Emacs 23.2:

,---- Emacs Changelog
| * Editing Changes in Emacs 23.2
|
| <snip>
|
| ** Completion changes
|
| *** The new command `completion-at-point' provides mode-sensitive completion.
`----

So you could try the Emacs 23.2/23.3 `minibuffer.el' compared to a Emacs
24 version it should be more suitable.

Good Luck,

@ 2011-05-26 12:01 ` Julien Danjou
From: Julien Danjou @ 2011-05-26 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: emacs-org

On Wed, May 25 2011, Sven Bretfeld wrote:

> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable completion-at-point-functions)
>   add-to-list(completion-at-point-functions org-contacts-message-complete-function)
>   (lambda nil (add-to-list (quote completion-at-point-functions) (quote org-contacts-message-complete-function)))()
>   run-hooks(text-mode-hook message-mode-hook)
>   apply(run-hooks (text-mode-hook message-mode-hook))
>   run-mode-hooks(message-mode-hook)
>   message-mode()
>   message-pop-to-buffer("*mail*" nil)
>   message-mail()
>   gnus-group-mail(nil)
>   call-interactively(gnus-group-mail nil nil)
>
> Have I missed a point in the setup? I just added (require 'org-contacts)
> and threw out all bbdb related code from .emacs and .gnus.el. Is there
> anything else to do?

I've pushed a fix so you won't get the error in Emacs < 23.3. But you
won't get the completion neither. That would require writing a different
completion function, which I don't plan to do soon.

--
Julien Danjou
❱ http://julien.danjou.info

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

* Re: org-contacts: error on message startup
@ 2011-05-26 12:03         ` Julien Danjou
From: Julien Danjou @ 2011-05-26 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-org, Michael Markert

On Thu, May 26 2011, Sven Bretfeld wrote:

> It is definitely not there in 23.1, the emacs-snapshot package which
> AFAIK is the orebokech version that seems not to have been updated since
> quite a while. I have checked the sources of minibuffer.el and it does
> not define completion-at-point-functions.

orebokech version is dead.

> This is a pity since Emacs Snapshot is the most actual you can get on
> Ubuntu without adding foreign repos or compiling.

emacs-snapshot in Ubuntu is a joke.

> I have tried to use Emacs 24 from the emacs.naquadah.org repository
> which, however, does not contain a Natty section. With the Maverick
> packages org-contacts works.

The Maverick ones should work flawlessly on Natty anyhow, as you
discovered.

--

@ 2011-05-26 20:24           ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2011-05-26 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-org, Michael Markert

Hi Julien

Julien Danjou <julien@danjou.info> writes:

> On Thu, May 26 2011, Sven Bretfeld wrote:
>
>> It is definitely not there in 23.1, the emacs-snapshot package which
>> AFAIK is the orebokech version that seems not to have been updated since
>> quite a while. I have checked the sources of minibuffer.el and it does
>> not define completion-at-point-functions.
>
> orebokech version is dead.
>
>> This is a pity since Emacs Snapshot is the most actual you can get on
>> Ubuntu without adding foreign repos or compiling.
>
> emacs-snapshot in Ubuntu is a joke.

Yes, and I was a silly victim of that joke. Today I noticed for the
first time that the normal Emacs 23 packages coming with Ubuntu are
actually newer than Emacs Snapshot. With the "normal" Emacs 23 packages
(23.2) org-contacts is working! Including the completion functions (one
still has manually to define tab as completion-at-point in
message-modemap).

Julien, thank you very much for org-contacts. I'm looking forward to its
further development (as I'm just a normal user I'm sorry to be unable to
contribute very much).

Greetings,

Sven