* org-babel-tangle-lang-exts must be initialized? how to get syntax coloring?
@ 2010-07-08  2:38 Nicholas Putnam
From: Nicholas Putnam @ 2010-07-08  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode

I'm new to, but loving playing with org-mode.  Thanks for this excellent
code!

I followed the directions for checking out the latest version with git, so
have been trying to catch up to the new configuration for babel, at the same
time that I'm learning the ropes of org-mode.

I am finding that babel will not work unless org-babel-tangle-lang-exts is
set -- else I get the following error:

"Symbol's value as variable is void: org-babel-tangle-lang-exts"

Adding "(setq org-babel-tangle-lang-exts '("fortran" . "f"))" to my .emacs
file (even though I'm not using fortran for anything) fixes this problem.

Also, I'm trying to get syntax highlighting of source code elements in HTML
export.  Export looks great, but the code snippets are being exported inside
<pre class="example"> tags, without any other markup.  Can anyone point me
in the right direction?

Cheers,

Nik Putnam

* Re: org-babel-tangle-lang-exts must be initialized? how to get syntax coloring?
@ 2010-07-08  3:29 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-07-08  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicholas Putnam; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Hi Nicholas,

I'm happy that you're enjoying Org-mode.

Nicholas Putnam <nputnam@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm new to, but loving playing with org-mode.  Thanks for this excellent
> code!
>
> I followed the directions for checking out the latest version with git, so
> have been trying to catch up to the new configuration for babel, at the same
> time that I'm learning the ropes of org-mode.
>
> I am finding that babel will not work unless org-babel-tangle-lang-exts is
> set -- else I get the following error:
>
> "Symbol's value as variable is void: org-babel-tangle-lang-exts"
>
> Adding "(setq org-babel-tangle-lang-exts '("fortran" . "f"))" to my
> .emacs file (even though I'm not using fortran for anything) fixes
> this problem.

I'm having trouble reproducing this problem.  As far as I can tell
`org-babel-tangle-lang-exts' is only called from language specific files
which should be required after that variable has been defined.

Is it possible that your configuration is loading language-specific
files or touching org-babel-load-languages before you are calling
(require 'org-install)?

> Also, I'm trying to get syntax highlighting of source code elements in
> HTML export.  Export looks great, but the code snippets are being
> exported inside <pre class="example"> tags, without any other markup.

Is the `org-export-htmlize' set to a non-nil value on your system?  If
so then that could be the cause of the problem.  If it is set to a
truthy value, and htmlize-region is defined in your Emacs, then I'm not
sure what the problem could be.

Best -- Eric

@ 2010-07-08  4:44   ` Nicholas Putnam
From: Nicholas Putnam @ 2010-07-08  4:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

re: org-export-htmlize , "Symbol's value as variable is void"

Here's my .emacs file.  The line that sets org-babel-tangle-lang-exts is
commented out.  Further down, is the debugging output when emacs is
started.  Requiring ob-R doesn't generate an error, by either ob-ruby or
ob-python will, unless org-babel-tangle-lang-exts is set.  The call to
ob-ruby that generates the error, at the bottom of .emacs, is definitely
coming after 'org-install.

Thanks again,

Nik

(setq load-path
       (append (list nil
"/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp"
"/Users/nputnam/elisp/ruby-mode"
         )
load-path))

(require 'org-install)

(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org\\'" . org-mode))
(global-set-key "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)
(global-set-key "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)
(global-set-key "\C-cb" 'org-iswitchb)

(global-font-lock-mode 1)                     ; for all buffers
(add-hook 'org-mode-hook 'turn-on-font-lock)  ; Org buffers only
(transient-mark-mode 1)

;(setq org-babel-tangle-lang-exts '("fortran" . "f"))
;(setq org-babel-tangle-lang-exts '())

(setq org-babel-do-load-languages
 '((R . t)
         (ditaa . nil)
         (dot . nil)
         (emacs-lisp . t)
         (gnuplot . t)
         (haskell . nil)
         (ocaml . nil)
         (python . t)
         (ruby . t)
         (screen . nil)
         (sh . t)
         (sql . nil)
         (sqlite . nil)))

(require 'ob-R)
;(require 'ob-python)
(require 'ob-ruby)

Here is the emacs debugging output:
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable org-babel-tangle-lang-exts)
  add-to-list(org-babel-tangle-lang-exts ("ruby" . "rb"))

byte-code("\301\302!\210\301\303!\210\301\304!\210\301\305!\210\306\307\310\"\210\311^HB^P\312\311!\204$^@\313\311\314\"\210\314\207"
[current-load-list$
  require(ob-ruby)
  eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*> nil "/Users/nputnam/.emacs" nil t)  ;
Reading at buffer position 958
  load-with-code-conversion("/Users/nputnam/.emacs" "/Users/nputnam/.emacs"
t t)
  load("~/.emacs" t t)
  #[nil "^H\205\276^@   \306=\203^Q^@\307^H\310Q\202A^@
\311=\2033^@\312\307\313\314#\203#^@\315\202A^@\312\307\313\316#\203/^@\317\202A^@\315\202A^@
\3$
  command-line()
  normal-top-level()

@ 2010-07-08  5:41     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-07-08  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicholas Putnam; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Hi Nicholas,

There are a couple of problems.  The first was a missing autoload in
org.el which I've now inserted (thanks for helping this issue come to
light).  The second has to do with your config.  I believe you are
instance of Org-mode on your load path is the newest version, you can
run M-x org-version to see what version you are currently running,
when I run that command the output starts with

  Org-mode version 6.36trans

If yours starts with the same then you should be fine.

I'm attaching a modified version of your init which worked for me
against the latest Org-mode from git.  A couple of differences worth
noting in my modified version are

- I'm putting the path to the org-mode git repository on my load path

- I removed the calls to font-lock mode which shouldn't be necessary
  with current versions of Emacs

- I fixed the call to `org-babel-do-load-languages' so that it's
  second argument is the org-babel-load-languages variable

- I'm not loading ruby (which I just did to simplify my test of a
  minimal Emacs config -- you should be able to replace it)

Please do a git pull on the Org-mode repo, re-run make clean && make,
and then give this new config file a try (with the org-mode load path
adjusted to your system) and let me know how it goes.

Best -- Eric

[-- Attachment #2: minimal.el --]

@ 2010-07-08 15:45       ` Nicholas Putnam
From: Nicholas Putnam @ 2010-07-08 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Dear Eric,

Updating from the repository, and putting it at the head of my load-path
fixed the problem with org-babel-tangle-lang-exts.  Thanks.

org-version returns org-mode version 6.36trans (release_6.36.576.gec22).

I still can't seem to export python to html with syntax coloring when
exporting to browser on C-c C-e b.  Should this just work?  I do see syntax
coloring on C-c '.  Setting or not setting org-export-htmlize doesn't seem
to make any difference.

Nik

@ 2010-07-08 18:33         ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-07-08 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicholas Putnam; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Hi Nicholas,

Nicholas Putnam <nputnam@gmail.com> writes:

> Dear Eric,
>
> Updating from the repository, and putting it at the head of my load-path
> fixed the problem with org-babel-tangle-lang-exts.  Thanks.

Great, we're making progress

> org-version returns org-mode version 6.36trans
> (release_6.36.576.gec22).

The Org-mode version looks good.

> I still can't seem to export python to html with syntax coloring when
> exporting to browser on C-c C-e b.  Should this just work?  I do see syntax
> coloring on C-c '.  Setting or not setting org-export-htmlize doesn't seem
> to make any difference.

What version of Emacs are you using?  I htmlfontify requires at least
Emacs 22 or later.  Running 'emacs --version' at the shell will answer
this one.

If you have a recent enough Emacs, then can you try opening up a
source-code buffer (say Python) and running M-x htmlfontify-buffer from
withing the buffer.  This should open up a buffer of html which when
viewed through a web-browser looks very similar to your Emacs buffer
fontification.

If the above doesn't work, try loading htmlize.el explicitly from

  org/contrib/lisp/htmlize.el

Best -- Eric

@ 2010-07-08 20:07           ` Nicholas Putnam
From: Nicholas Putnam @ 2010-07-08 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

My emacs version is "GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin10.4.0) of
2010-07-07"

htmlfontify-buffer on a python buffer worked -- although at first I thought
it hadn't because all the font sizes were set to 0pt.

How can I get org-babel to htmlfontify my code on html export?

Nik

@ 2010-07-08 20:28             ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-07-08 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicholas Putnam; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Alright,

Fontification is not specifically an Org-babel feature, but is provided
by Org-mode at large, the relevant portion of the manual is available
online, and may be worth a quick read
http://orgmode.org/manual/Literal-examples.html#Literal-examples

I suppose it may be possible that you are using an old version of
htmlize, I'd recommend looking for a message like the following

  htmlize.el 1.34 or later is needed for source code formatting

in your *Messages* buffer after an html export.

Aside from that, and the htmlize variables (which should all be set to
their default values)
- org-export-htmlize-output-type
- org-export-htmlized-org-css-url
- org-export-htmlize-css-font-prefix
I don't know where the problem could lie.

Sorry I can't be of more help -- Eric

@ 2010-07-08 21:04               ` Nicholas Putnam
From: Nicholas Putnam @ 2010-07-08 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

I got it working.
I think that before emacs wasn't finding org-mode/contrib/lisp, but not
generating any error (that I could see).

Thanks again.

@ 2010-07-09 20:29                 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-07-09 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicholas Putnam; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Great, happy everything is working -- Eric