Hi Nicholas, There are a couple of problems. The first was a missing autoload in org.el which I've now inserted (thanks for helping this issue come to light). The second has to do with your config. I believe you are loading an old version of Org-mode. Be sure to that the first instance of Org-mode on your load path is the newest version, you can run M-x org-version to see what version you are currently running, when I run that command the output starts with Org-mode version 6.36trans If yours starts with the same then you should be fine. I'm attaching a modified version of your init which worked for me against the latest Org-mode from git. A couple of differences worth noting in my modified version are - I'm putting the path to the org-mode git repository on my load path - I removed the calls to font-lock mode which shouldn't be necessary with current versions of Emacs - I fixed the call to `org-babel-do-load-languages' so that it's second argument is the org-babel-load-languages variable - I'm not loading ruby (which I just did to simplify my test of a minimal Emacs config -- you should be able to replace it) Please do a git pull on the Org-mode repo, re-run make clean && make, and then give this new config file a try (with the org-mode load path adjusted to your system) and let me know how it goes. Best -- Eric