* A requires/provides approach to linking source code blocks
@ 2021-07-08 16:24 Marko Schuetz-Schmuck
From: Marko Schuetz-Schmuck @ 2021-07-08 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear All,

AFAIU in the current support for literate programming I can establish
sequence between blocks by either tangling the entire file whereby the
blocks are written to the source code file in the sequence in which they
appear in the org-mode file or I can name the blocks and use noweb
linking to explicitly state the precise sequence in which the blocks
appear in the source code file.

I would find it useful to have a more declarative way for specifying
sequence. I imagine e.g. using "#+REQUIRES:" and "#+PROVIDES:" to
capture dependency and then have the exporter compute a sequence
satisfying these. I would think that this makes the maintenance of the
dependencies more convenient.

I'd be interested in feedback on the idea.

Please include my email address in the reply as I am not subscribed to
the list.

Best regards,

Marko

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: A requires/provides approach to linking source code blocks
@ 2021-07-09 17:00 autofrettage
From: autofrettage @ 2021-07-09 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Tim wrote:
> This could just be me, but recently, I'm becoming very concerned
> about the growth of additional features and options in org mode.

Count me in. I have been mostly been hanging around in the shadows, but this is serious enough for me to wave a flag on the right side.

I would go as far as saying that several suggestions have been so niche, as to be labeled feature bloats. They can be made available as user-added extensions through melpa, but should stay outside org itself.

just my ¢2

Rasmus