* export to html and relative links:
@ 2008-04-13  4:49 T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2008-04-13  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

org-export turns links of the form
[[foo][link to relative url foo]]

ends up creating links of the form

this means that it becomes impossible to write hyperlinks that
are relative URLs.

--
Best Regards,
--raman

Email:  raman@users.sf.net
WWW:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/
AIM:    emacspeak       GTalk: tv.raman.tv@gmail.com
Google: tv+raman
IRC:    irc://irc.freenode.net/#emacs

* Re: export to html and relative links:
@ 2008-04-13  5:37 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-04-13  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 13, 2008, at 6:49 AM, T. V. Raman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> org-export turns links of the form
> [[foo][link to relative url foo]]
>
> ends up creating links of the form
>
> this means that it becomes impossible to write hyperlinks that
> are relative URLs.

Hi Raman,

the url goes into the first pair of square brackets, the description
into the second.
If you put something into the first bracket pair that does not look
lie a url, it will
be treated as an internal link.

Have you tried to use something like

[[http:foo.html][link to relative url]]

?

- Carsten

* Re: export to html and relative links:
@ 2008-04-13 15:33   ` T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2008-04-13 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dominik; +Cc: raman, emacs-orgmode

I've not tried http:foo.html -- but I suggest doing that to
author a relative URL is a bad idea.

I  tried ./foo.html and that didn't work either. One compromise
would be to get ./foo.html to link to a relative url, while
foo.html continues to link to  a local anchor

--

@ 2008-04-13 15:54     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-04-13 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 13, 2008, at 5:33 PM, T. V. Raman wrote:

> I've not tried http:foo.html -- but I suggest doing that to
> author a relative URL is a bad idea.

Can you explain why you think that this is a bad idea?
Educate me!  What is wrong with writing http:foo.html ??????

- Carsten

@ 2008-04-13 16:25       ` T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2008-04-13 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dominik; +Cc: raman, emacs-orgmode

I think writing http:foo.html is a bad idea because typing that
string in other contexts is sort of meaningless as a URL.
Until now, everything one types in org-mode sort of has meaning
elsewhere. If you want it to look like a url in this case too
then I'd suggest file:foo.html -- rther than http:file.html.

I  did not suggest that earlier because it's more chars to type,
but that's not a huge concern since emacs does the typing, and we
could always augment c-c c-l to enable authoring of relative
links with file completion.

so file:a/b/c.html would become href="a/b/c.html" in the
generated html.

@ 2008-04-13 17:19         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-04-13 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hmmmm,

this is *such* a good idea, that I will implement this retroactively
into all versions since ... 2.0 or so?  Abracadabra! Done.

In fact, it has been working just so for a very long time.

file:foo.html   -> href="foo.html"
file:foo.org    -> href="foo.html"

The second line assumes that the org file foo.org will also
be converted to an html file in the publishing process....

Also, I was mistaken earlier:

http:foo.html  becomes   href="http:foo.html" and not href="foo.html"

so this actually cannot be used for a local link.

So what remains from this exchange?  Should we accept links
that look like absolute file names (including ./foo.html) as
equivalent to file:./foo.html ?

- Carsten

>>> tv.raman.tv@gmail.com PGP:

@ 2008-04-13 18:48           ` T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2008-04-13 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dominik; +Cc: raman, emacs-orgmode

two suggestions:

1)  accept paths like "./foo.html" as local links.
2) Augment C-c C-l to react to file: by providing filename
completion relative to the working directory.

The emacs binding to the w3m browser does this if you type file: in the minibuffer
when prompted for a URL.

@ 2008-04-13 19:35             ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-04-13 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Raman,

On Apr 13, 2008, at 8:48 PM, T. V. Raman wrote:

> two suggestions:
>
> 1)  accept paths like "./foo.html" as local links.

I will look into this.  The problem is the system dependence
of file names, so I am not sure what a good solution would be
that would work on Windows as well as on Unix.

> 2) Augment C-c C-l to react to file: by providing filename
> completion relative to the working directory.

Hmm, that is difficult, but thanks for the pointer, maybe we can steel
some code.

For now, if you use `C-u C-c C-l', you get file completion, and the
result will
be a "file:" link with a relative path (unless you enter a path
starting with "/").
Even if you find the file with ../../../some/path, it will still be
inserted as a relative link.

- Carsten

@ 2008-04-13 20:32               ` T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2008-04-13 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dominik; +Cc: raman, emacs-orgmode

file:// urls are already designed to be platform independent.
So an org file should never carry in it a path like a\\b\\c.html
-- we should always use a/b/c.html
since that's the syntax used by relative URLs.

@ 2008-04-13 21:37                 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-04-13 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 13, 2008, at 10:32 PM, T. V. Raman wrote:
> file:// urls are already designed to be platform independent.
> So an org file should never carry in it a path like a\\b\\c.html
> -- we should always use a/b/c.html
> since that's the syntax used by relative URLs.

Yes, but while an Org file is still an Org file, the same
links function is links to open the corresponding file in
Emacs, and my fear is that this can lead to conflicts.

Anyway, this is for the windows people to complain about
and to propose solutions... :-)

- Carsten

@ 2008-06-24  6:38             ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-06-24  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 13, 2008, at 8:48 PM, T. V. Raman wrote:

> two suggestions:
>
> 1)  accept paths like "./foo.html" as local links.

This is now allowed.

> 2) Augment C-c C-l to react to file: by providing filename
> completion relative to the working directory.

This is hard and therefore not yet implemented.  Use `C-u C-c C-l' to
insert a file link with completion.

- Carsten

@ 2008-06-24  8:36               ` Paul R
From: Paul R @ 2008-06-24  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: raman, emacs-orgmode

>     2) Augment C-c C-l to react to file: by providing filename
>     completion relative to the working directory.
>
> This is hard and therefore not yet implemented.  Use `C-u C-c C-l' to insert a file link with
> completion.

Drop it if I'm off-topic, but isn't it what (file-relative-name path)
does ?

--
      Paul

* Re: Re: export to html and relative links:
@ 2008-06-24  9:39                 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-06-24  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul R; +Cc: raman, emacs-orgmode

On Jun 24, 2008, at 10:36 AM, Paul R wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>

>>    2) Augment C-c C-l to react to file: by providing filename
>>    completion relative to the working directory.
>>
>> This is hard and therefore not yet implemented.  Use `C-u C-c C-l'
>> to insert a file link with
>> completion.
>
> Drop it if I'm off-topic, but isn't it what (file-relative-name path)
> does ?

It is hard because I would have to write a special completion function
which sees the "file:" types and the switches its completion tactics.

- Carsten

* Re: Re: export to html and relative links:
@ 2008-06-24  9:45                   ` Paul R
From: Paul R @ 2008-06-24  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: raman, emacs-orgmode

>> Drop it if I'm off-topic, but isn't it what (file-relative-name path)
>> does ?
>
> It is hard because I would have to write a special completion function
> which sees the "file:" types and the switches its completion tactics.

So I was right ! Right to beleive I was off topic ;-)

--
      Paul