* two sets of default header arguments for one language
@ 2015-09-10 13:54 Alan Schmitt
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2015-09-10 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I’m writing some lab exercises where I have a fairly long list of header
arguments for each source block. I know I can use language-specific
default arguments, but I need to switch between questions (short list):

#+begin_src ocaml :tangle tp1.ml

and answers

#+begin_src ocaml :exports results :results verbatim drawer :post wrap-myres(text=*this*) :tangle tp1_ans.ml

Is there a way to have two sets of default arguments for a given
language, or can I declare a new language just for the sake of different
arguments?

Thanks,

Alan

--
OpenPGP Key ID : 040D0A3B4ED2E5C7
Last week athmospheric CO₂ average (Updated September 6, 2015, Mauna Loa Obs.):

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: two sets of default header arguments for one language
@ 2015-09-10 21:00 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2015-09-10 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Aloha Alan,

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I’m writing some lab exercises where I have a fairly long list of header
> arguments for each source block. I know I can use language-specific
> default arguments, but I need to switch between questions (short list):
>
> #+begin_src ocaml :tangle tp1.ml
>
> and answers
>
> #+begin_src ocaml :exports results :results verbatim drawer :post wrap-myres(text=*this*) :tangle tp1_ans.ml
>
> Is there a way to have two sets of default arguments for a given
> language, or can I declare a new language just for the sake of different
> arguments?

Perhaps you could specify language specific header arguments in
properties and keep the questions under one heading and the answers
under another heading?

* Questions
 :PROPERTIES:
 :header-args:ocaml: :tangle tp1.ml
 :END:

*Answers
 :PROPERTIES:
 :header-args:ocaml: :exports results :results verbatim drawer :post
 wrap-myres(text=*this*) :tangle tp1_ans.ml
 :END:

hth,
Tom
--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: two sets of default header arguments for one language
@ 2015-09-10 21:16 ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2015-09-10 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Envoyé de mon iPhone

> Le 10 sept. 2015 à 15:54, Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> a écrit :
>
> Hello,
>
> I’m writing some lab exercises where I have a fairly long list of header
> arguments for each source block. I know I can use language-specific
> default arguments, but I need to switch between questions (short list):
>
> #+begin_src ocaml :tangle tp1.ml
>
> and answers
>
> #+begin_src ocaml :exports results :results verbatim drawer :post wrap-myres(text=*this*) :tangle tp1_ans.ml
>
> Is there a way to have two sets of default arguments for a given
> language, or can I declare a new language just for the sake of different
> arguments?

Do macros work for properties ? If yes, you could degine two macro, one for each set of properties.

Rainer

@ 2015-09-10 21:25   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-09-10 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: Alan Schmitt, emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:

> Do macros work for properties ? If yes, you could degine two macro,
> one for each set of properties.

No, they don't.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: two sets of default header arguments for one language
@ 2015-09-10 22:28 ` Charles C. Berry
From: Charles C. Berry @ 2015-09-10 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015, Alan Schmitt wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I’m writing some lab exercises where I have a fairly long list of header
> arguments for each source block. I know I can use language-specific
> default arguments, but I need to switch between questions (short list):
>
> #+begin_src ocaml :tangle tp1.ml
>
> and answers
>
> #+begin_src ocaml :exports results :results verbatim drawer :post wrap-myres(text=*this*) :tangle tp1_ans.ml
>
> Is there a way to have two sets of default arguments for a given
> language, or can I declare a new language just for the sake of different
> arguments?

I'd use two new `languages'.

For most uses, I think you can get away with as little as this:

(defalias 'org-babel-execute:ocaml-a 'org-babel-execute:ocaml)
(defalias 'org-babel-execute:ocaml-q 'org-babel-execute:ocaml)

(defvar org-babel-default-header-args:ocaml-a
 	'((:exports . "results") [fill in the rest] ))
(defvar org-babel-default-header-args:ocaml-q
 	'((:tangle . "tp1.ml")))

and have acceptable behavior without stepping on the original language.

Untested, of course.

HTH,

Chuck

* Re: two sets of default header arguments for one language
@ 2015-09-10 22:39   ` Charles C. Berry
From: Charles C. Berry @ 2015-09-10 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

One more thing ...

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015, Charles C. Berry wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Sep 2015, Alan Schmitt wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I’m writing some lab exercises where I have a fairly long list of header
>> arguments for each source block. I know I can use language-specific
>> default arguments, but I need to switch between questions (short list):
>>
>> #+begin_src ocaml :tangle tp1.ml
>>
>> and answers
>>
>> #+begin_src ocaml :exports results :results verbatim drawer :post
>> wrap-myres(text=*this*) :tangle tp1_ans.ml
>>
>> Is there a way to have two sets of default arguments for a given
>> language, or can I declare a new language just for the sake of different
>> arguments?
>>

> I'd use two new `languages'.
>
> For most uses, I think you can get away with as little as this:
>
> (defalias 'org-babel-execute:ocaml-a 'org-babel-execute:ocaml)
> (defalias 'org-babel-execute:ocaml-q 'org-babel-execute:ocaml)
>
> (defvar org-babel-default-header-args:ocaml-a
> 	'((:exports . "results") [fill in the rest] ))
> (defvar org-babel-default-header-args:ocaml-q
> 	'((:tangle . "tp1.ml")))
>

> and have acceptable behavior without stepping on the original language.

You also want to customize `org-src-lang-modes' to be able to edit the src
code natively.

> Untested, of course.
>
> HTH,
>
> Chuck

Charles C. Berry                 Dept of Family Medicine & Public Health
cberry at ucsd edu               UC San Diego / La Jolla, CA 92093-0901
http://famprevmed.ucsd.edu/faculty/cberry/

* Re: two sets of default header arguments for one language
@ 2015-09-11  7:09     ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2015-09-11  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: Alan Schmitt, emacs-orgmode

> Hello,
>
> Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Do macros work for properties ? If yes, you could degine two macro,
>> one for each set of properties.
>
> No, they don't.

That's a pity.

It would be really great if one could define different sets of
hearer-args and then, at thr beginning of a code block, simply use:

#+MACRO: forTangle  :tangle ./test.R :export none
#+MACRO: forExecution  :tangle no :export both :session Test14
#+MACRO: forNoSession  :tangle no :export both

#+:header-args {{{forTangle}}}
#+begin_src R :tangle no
  cat(13)
#+end_src

#+:header-args {{{forExecution}}}
#+begin_src R :tangle no
  cat(14)
#+end_src

#+:header-args {{{forNoSession}}}
#+begin_src R :tangle no
  cat(14)
#+end_src

This would make it much easier to work with header-args and solve many
problems which were discussed in earlier threads.

The example might not be the best as it could be implemented by
header-args+ but if the code blocks using the different sets of
header-args are at different locations in the org document, changing
them would be much easier with macro expansion (or similar).

Would it be difficult to include this feature?

Thanks,

Rainer

> Regards,

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

PGP: 0x0F52F982

@ 2015-09-11  9:30   ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2015-09-11  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Thomas,

On 2015-09-10 23:00, Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> writes:

>> Is there a way to have two sets of default arguments for a given
>> language, or can I declare a new language just for the sake of different
>> arguments?
>
> Perhaps you could specify language specific header arguments in
> properties and keep the questions under one heading and the answers
> under another heading?
>
> * Questions
>  :PROPERTIES:
>  :header-args:ocaml: :tangle tp1.ml
>  :END:

> *Answers
>  :PROPERTIES:
>  :header-args:ocaml: :exports results :results verbatim drawer :post
>  wrap-myres(text=*this*) :tangle tp1_ans.ml
>  :END:

Thank you for the suggestion, but it really goes against the structure
of the document I have in mind.

Alan

--
OpenPGP Key ID : 040D0A3B4ED2E5C7
Last week athmospheric CO₂ average (Updated September 9, 2015, Mauna Loa Obs.):

@ 2015-09-11  9:33       ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2015-09-11  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Rainer M Krug

On 2015-09-11 09:09, Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

> Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Do macros work for properties ? If yes, you could degine two macro,
>>> one for each set of properties.
>>
>> No, they don't.
>
> That's a pity.
>
> It would be really great if one could define different sets of
> hearer-args and then, at thr beginning of a code block, simply use:

This would be great indeed.

I’m still going to look at macros as I noticed the code always has the
shape
- source block with the answer
- source block for a test for the students
- source block for tests to grade the students answers

Thanks for the suggestion!

Alan

--

@ 2015-09-11  9:36     ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2015-09-11  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles C. Berry; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2015-09-11 00:39, "Charles C. Berry" <ccberry@ucsd.edu> writes:

>>> Is there a way to have two sets of default arguments for a given
>>> language, or can I declare a new language just for the sake of different
>>> arguments?
>>>

>> I'd use two new `languages'.
>>
>> For most uses, I think you can get away with as little as this:
>>
>> (defalias 'org-babel-execute:ocaml-a 'org-babel-execute:ocaml)
>> (defalias 'org-babel-execute:ocaml-q 'org-babel-execute:ocaml)
>>
>> (defvar org-babel-default-header-args:ocaml-a
>> 	'((:exports . "results") [fill in the rest] ))
>> (defvar org-babel-default-header-args:ocaml-q
>> 	'((:tangle . "tp1.ml")))
>>

>> and have acceptable behavior without stepping on the original language.
>

> You also want to customize `org-src-lang-modes' to be able to edit the src
> code natively.

Very nice! I’ll give it a try. Thanks a lot,

Alan

--

@ 2015-09-11 16:27       ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-09-11 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: Alan Schmitt, emacs-orgmode, Rainer M Krug

Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

> That's a pity.
>
> It would be really great if one could define different sets of
> hearer-args and then, at thr beginning of a code block, simply use:
>
> #+MACRO: forTangle  :tangle ./test.R :export none
> #+MACRO: forExecution  :tangle no :export both :session Test14
> #+MACRO: forNoSession  :tangle no :export both

It might be great. Probably hackish too.

Anyway simplicity of macros is one of its features, IMO. They are
limited, yet useful for simple things.

Fortunately, there are other ways to achieve what you want without them.

> Would it be difficult to include this feature?

Probably not. The most permissive model for macros is even simpler to
implement than the current one, i.e., something like

  (replace-regexp-in-string macro-regexp macro-template buffer)

However macros actually follow a different paradigm, in which they are
required to be parsed. As a consequence they cannot really break the
structure of their container, which turns them into "safe" tools. For
example, you can compare the model above and the current one in the
following document

  A paragraph Paragraph{{{this(arg
  #+name: table
  | cell | )}}}  |

Your proposal in to allow them where the parser doesn't look, e.g.,
Babel header arguments, but probably also other places (node properties,
keywords...). It is difficult to draw a line. In any case, I'm not sure
macros would benefit from it. Babel can already do a lot of
destructuring in a document, not every tool needs to be as versatile as
Babel.

* Re: two sets of default header arguments for one language
@ 2015-09-14 14:39       ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2015-09-14 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles C. Berry; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2015-09-11 11:36, Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

>>> I'd use two new `languages'.
>>>
>>> For most uses, I think you can get away with as little as this:
>>>
>>> (defalias 'org-babel-execute:ocaml-a 'org-babel-execute:ocaml)
>>> (defalias 'org-babel-execute:ocaml-q 'org-babel-execute:ocaml)
>>>
>>> (defvar org-babel-default-header-args:ocaml-a
>>> 	'((:exports . "results") [fill in the rest] ))
>>> (defvar org-babel-default-header-args:ocaml-q
>>> 	'((:tangle . "tp1.ml")))
>>>

>>> and have acceptable behavior without stepping on the original language.
>>

>> You also want to customize `org-src-lang-modes' to be able to edit the src
>> code natively.
>
> Very nice! I’ll give it a try. Thanks a lot,

I would like to report that this worked perfectly and out of the box.
Thanks a lot!

Alan

--
OpenPGP Key ID : 040D0A3B4ED2E5C7
Last week athmospheric CO₂ average (Updated September 13, 2015, Mauna Loa Obs.):

@ 2015-09-18 10:17         ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2015-09-18 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Alan Schmitt, emacs-orgmode