* Publishing: building navigation menus and lists of files
@ 2015-07-10 12:16 Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2015-07-10 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

I am hoping to finally transition some of my websites to static sites
published directly from org finally!). one thing I would really like is to
automatically build menus and perhaps index files based on the directory
structure I'm exporting from.  So, if I have:

RLG231

|--Assignments
|   |
|   |-- Assignment1.org

|--Lectures

     |-- etc

I would like to have a navigation bar with links to "Assignments" and
"Lectures" , and possibly dropdown menus for "Assignment1.html", etc.

What do other people do with their websites?

I have the idea, also, that within the directories I might like to have an "
index.org" that looks like this:

* Lectures
This class has lectures.  They are really interesting.  Here is a list:
#+BEGIN_SRC
this block will output a nicely formatted html list of all the lectures in
this directory,
#+END_SRC

I imagine other people have figured this out so I would love to learn from
you all...

* Re: Publishing: building navigation menus and lists of files
@ 2015-07-10 12:58 ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2015-07-10 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: Org Mode

Envoyé de mon iPhone

> Le 10 juil. 2015 à 14:16, Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> I am hoping to finally transition some of my websites to static sites published directly from org finally!). one thing I would really like is to automatically build menus and perhaps index files based on the directory structure I'm exporting from.  So, if I have:
>
> RLG231
> |
> |--Assignments
> |   |
> |   |-- Assignment1.org
> |
> |--Lectures
>      |-- etc
>
> I would like to have a navigation bar with links to "Assignments" and "Lectures" , and possibly dropdown menus for "Assignment1.html", etc.
>
> What do other people do with their websites?
>
> I have the idea, also, that within the directories I might like to have an "index.org" that looks like this:
>
> * Lectures
> This class has lectures.  They are really interesting.  Here is a list:
> #+BEGIN_SRC
> this block will output a nicely formatted html list of all the lectures in this directory,
> #+END_SRC
>
> I imagine other people have figured this out so I would love to learn from you all...

Have you seen org-html-themes https://github.com/fniessen/org-html-themes ? You might get some ideas from there?

Cheers,

Rainer

* Re: Publishing: building navigation menus and lists of files
@ 2015-07-10 18:37   ` Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2015-07-10 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: Org Mode

i love org-html-themes but it's designed for individual files. I'm
interested in embedding the files in a bigger structure; not sure what
other people use for this.  THere is some hints here:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-publish-html-tutorial.html

But the menus here are created statically; I would like to generate them
dynamically if possible.

@ 2015-07-13 11:13 ` giles
From: giles @ 2015-07-13 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:

> I am hoping to finally transition some of my websites to static sites
> published directly from org finally!). one thing I would really like is to
> automatically build menus and perhaps index files based on the directory
> structure I'm exporting from.

I'm half way there with one of my websites.  Like you, I wanted to
insert a menu based on the file's location within my directory tree.
The solution I came up with was to use the html_preamble
(http://orgmode.org/manual/HTML-preamble-and-postamble.html).  I got
side tracked and only got as far as inserting an identical menu for each
file, but my intention remains to use a function to consider the file's
location in my directory structure and generate a menu accordingly.

Hmm - job for this evening perhaps.

--
Giles Chamberlin