* whitespace in org source files
@ 2021-11-12 22:35 excalamus--- via General discussions about Org-mode.
From: excalamus--- via General discussions about Org-mode. @ 2021-11-12 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm hacking on ob-shell.el and I see that the source has mixed tabs and spaces. If I were to contribute changes, would it be an issue if tabs were converted to whitespace?

I've not used the email contribution style before and have had whitespace issues in the past with GitHub PRs.   I typically run whitespace-cleanup with the before-save-hook which changes tabs to spaces.

* Re: whitespace in org source files
@ 2021-11-13  2:15 ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2021-11-13  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

excalamus--- via "General discussions about Org-mode." <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org> writes:

> I'm hacking on ob-shell.el and I see that the source has mixed tabs and spaces.
> If I were to contribute changes, would it be an issue if tabs were converted to
> whitespace?
>
> I've not used the email contribution style before and have had whitespace issues
> in the past with GitHub PRs.  I typically run whitespace-cleanup with the
> before-save-hook which changes tabs to spaces.

It is usually a bad idea to change whitespace in this manner. It will
not improve readibility but will cause lots of change which will likely
make merging and tracking/reviewing changes harder than necessary.

Ideally, git itslef would be configured to deal with this automatically.
Unfortunately, the tab v space arguments can often reach the level of
religious war and represents something which is difficult to get
consensus on.

My recommendation would be to use dir local variable settings to make
Emacs use the same formatting style (i.e. with tabs) for working with
org-mode sources if your normal/wider preference is just for spaces.
this will prevent Emacs from making unnecessary whitespace changes.

* Re: whitespace in org source files
@ 2021-11-13 12:57 ` Juan Manuel Macías
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2021-11-13 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: excalamus; +Cc: Tim Cross, orgmode

Hi,

excalamus--- via "General discussions about Org-mode." writes:

> I've not used the email contribution style before and have had
> whitespace issues in the past with GitHub PRs.  I typically run
> whitespace-cleanup with the before-save-hook which changes tabs to
> spaces.

I agree with Tim that running whitespace-cleanup is usually a bad idea
within a Git repository. I also have, like you, whitespace-cleanup
hooked to before-save-hook, like a relic of my first Emacs setups. In
case it helps, I have added to my init this function:

(defun my-whitespace-cleanup-no-git ()
    (let ((buf (buffer-file-name)))
      (when (not (vc-git-responsible-p buf))
	(whitespace-cleanup))))

and then:

(add-hook 'before-save-hook 'my-whitespace-cleanup-no-git)

Best regards,

Juan Manuel