* Any iPhone devellopers here
@ 2008-10-05  5:24 Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-10-05  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

Hi,

do we have any iPhone developer here on the list who would like to
listen to my ideas about a (very simple) mobile arm (not version) of
Org?

- Carsten

* Re: Re: Any iPhone devellopers here
@ 2008-10-13 14:45 David Neu
From: David Neu @ 2008-10-13 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

I'm new to orgmode, and must say that I've found it be an incredibly
intuitive and powerful emacs mode!

When I saw this thread it resonated with my search for a strategy for
doing GTD while using a list app that isn't "mobile".  That is, if you
don't have your list manager with you in different contexts (e.g.
@errands, @phone), it seems "challenging" to work from your lists.
The only context in which I seem to have my lists available is
@computer.  I guess I could print out my lists, check off completed
items or add new items, but this seems suboptimal.

I am a developer, but not an iPhone developer, and had the following
idea.  Suppose you restrict your goal to: have orgmode actions and
appointments available on your mobile device (i.e. iPhone),  and have
these items truly synchronized between orgmode and the iPhone; changes
in orgmode would be reflected on the iPhone and vice versa.

Now, if you use the Calendar Store as the mechanism for exchange (see
http://developer.apple.com/leopard/overview/calendarstore.html), then
in view of

> 1. We do now have a system to assign unique IDs to entries, so the
>   cross-identification could be made to work.

it seems that the goal can be accomplished.

The strategy is based on not trying to get an orgmode app going on a
mobile device, but getting your actions and appoinments synchronized
between orgmode and iCal, and if you have an iPhone, Apple handles the
synchronization between your Mac and your iPhone for  you.  Therefore,
if implemented, the functionality could even be used by orgmode Mac
users without an iPhone.

I hope this reply is on topic, and would be interested in your thoughts.

Thanks for orgmode!

Cheers,
David