* Writing your book with orgmode and publishing it on Leanpub
@ 2014-02-23 19:24 Juan Reyero
From: Juan Reyero @ 2014-02-23 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greetings,

I've solved a couple of bugs in the Leanpub[1] markdown exporter[2]
(cross-links within the book using ids were not working, and footnotes
containing a colon neither).  As far as I can tell using Orgmode and
Leanpub to publish books is now quite feasible, and produces rather
nice results.

I have also published the sources for my book, The Hacker Ways[3], at

https://github.com/juanre/hacker-ways

It is rather annoying that github understands the org syntax but not
quite, so the sources appear almost but not quite right.  Clone and
open in Emacs to see what's going on.

Best regards,

jm
--
http://greaterskies.com
http://juanreyero.com

[1] Leanpub.com is a very nice self-publishing platform.  I am not
associated with them, and they are not responsible for my code.

[2] http://juanreyero.com/open/ox-leanpub/

[3] https://leanpub.com/hackerways/

* Re: Writing your book with orgmode and publishing it on Leanpub
@ 2014-02-24  7:39 ` Waldemar Quevedo
From: Waldemar Quevedo @ 2014-02-24  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> It is rather annoying that github understands the org syntax but not
quite, so the sources appear almost but not quite right.
I maintain the parser that is being by Github =>
https://github.com/wallyqs/org-ruby
If you let me now the issues I can try to fix them, (or PRs are also
welcome)....

I also noticed that you are using Jekyll with Org mode,
so in case you are not a fan a adding YAML to your Org mode files I have
this example
where you can use `#+layout:` instead of YAML.
https://github.com/wallyqs/yet-another-jekyll-org-template
https://github.com/eggcaker/jekyll-org/blob/master/convert.rb#L30

Regards,

- Waldemar

@ 2014-02-24  8:33   ` Juan Reyero
From: Juan Reyero @ 2014-02-24  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 8:39 AM, Waldemar Quevedo
<waldemar.quevedo@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It is rather annoying that github understands the org syntax but not
>> quite, so the sources appear almost but not quite right.
> I maintain the parser that is being by Github =>
> https://github.com/wallyqs/org-ruby
> If you let me now the issues I can try to fix them, (or PRs are also
> welcome)....

Sorry I sounded dismissive.  You are doing an awesome job, it's
amazing how much it did get right.

My problem is that I am trying to share my sources as code, not as
documentation.  I would like my .org files to be treated as you would
treat Python code, shown as they are and syntax-highlighted.  If you
parse them you will inevitably miss the context I am relying upon to
render them properly (like when you ---rightly--- assume that html
should be left standing, but what I wrote expects a jekyll
post-process).

People visiting the repository will most likely be interested in what
I actually wrote, not in its rendering as a document.  Close to what
you get when you select Raw, but syntax-highlighted.  This is what I
want the repository for; the document is somewhere else.

That said, the one place where the translation fails is when the
source code of babel snippets should not be exported.  Again, probably
due to the tension between the need to show the file's content and the
desire to render it as a document.

> I have this example
> where you can use `#+layout:` instead of YAML.
> https://github.com/wallyqs/yet-another-jekyll-org-template
> https://github.com/eggcaker/jekyll-org/blob/master/convert.rb#L30

Thank you for the pointer.

Best,

jm

@ 2014-02-24  9:23   ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2014-02-24  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello Waldemar,

Waldemar Quevedo wrote:
>> It is rather annoying that github understands the org syntax but not
>> quite, so the sources appear almost but not quite right.
>
> I maintain the parser that is being by Github =>
> https://github.com/wallyqs/org-ruby
> If you let me now the issues I can try to fix them, (or PRs are also
> welcome)....

For me, an annoying problem is that the Org #+TITLE is treated as
a simple text, and not outputted as an headline.

So, if we want an headline on GitHub, we need to create a unique level-1
heading, which will be shown as the most important section, hence the
"title". Then, under that, we can have many level-2 sections.

That feature makes it impossible to get the same design for Org
documents both as PDF, HTML or GitHub presentation page.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Writing your book with orgmode and publishing it on Leanpub
@ 2014-02-24 12:08     ` Waldemar Quevedo
From: Waldemar Quevedo @ 2014-02-24 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sebastien,

> For me, an annoying problem is that the Org #+TITLE is treated as
> a simple text, and not outputted as an headline.
> So, if we want an headline on GitHub, we need to create a unique level-1
> heading, which will be shown as the most important section, hence the
> "title". Then, under that, we can have many level-2 sections.

Ok, I will revisit this part of the output from the parser and change it in
the next release
so that Github can also pick it up (issue here:
https://github.com/wallyqs/org-ruby/issues/3)

Thanks,

- Wally

@ 2014-02-24 12:26     ` Waldemar Quevedo