emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* ":results none" doesn't seem to be documented
@ 2015-01-14 21:47 Kodi Arfer
  2015-01-14 22:09 ` Andreas Leha
                   ` (3 more replies)
  0 siblings, 4 replies; 14+ messages in thread
From: Kodi Arfer @ 2015-01-14 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"none" is allowed as an argument to :results (see, for example, 
ob-core.el line 704 as of Git d36bd8d), but this isn't mentioned in 
results.html. I just learned of its existence while reading ob-core.el.

To me, by the way, ":results none" seems like a useful feature rather 
than being redundant with ":results silent", because it won't attempt to 
print a massive object to the echo area. (Pehaps "silent" wasn't a great 
choice of name.)

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 14+ messages in thread

* Re: ":results none" doesn't seem to be documented
  2015-01-14 21:47 ":results none" doesn't seem to be documented Kodi Arfer
@ 2015-01-14 22:09 ` Andreas Leha
  2015-01-14 22:19   ` Fabrice Niessen
  2015-01-14 22:11 ` Grant Rettke
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
  3 siblings, 1 reply; 14+ messages in thread
From: Andreas Leha @ 2015-01-14 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Kodi Arfer <kodi@arfer.net> writes:
> "none" is allowed as an argument to :results (see, for example,
> ob-core.el line 704 as of Git d36bd8d), but this isn't mentioned in
> results.html. I just learned of its existence while reading
> ob-core.el.
>
> To me, by the way, ":results none" seems like a useful feature rather
> than being redundant with ":results silent", because it won't attempt
> to print a massive object to the echo area. (Pehaps "silent" wasn't a
> great choice of name.)

Especially given that ":results none" prints "results silenced" in the
echo area.  Should rather be "results nonced" ;-)

Andreas

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 14+ messages in thread

* Re: ":results none" doesn't seem to be documented
  2015-01-14 21:47 ":results none" doesn't seem to be documented Kodi Arfer
  2015-01-14 22:09 ` Andreas Leha
@ 2015-01-14 22:11 ` Grant Rettke
  2015-01-14 23:13 ` Samuel Wales
  2015-01-14 23:38 ` John Hendy
  3 siblings, 0 replies; 14+ messages in thread
From: Grant Rettke @ 2015-01-14 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kodi Arfer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Good to know, thanks for sharing that.

That is really helpful if you are duplicating Knitr's approach in Org
for example because you get kind of motion sick watching the mode line
bounce up and down.

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 3:47 PM, Kodi Arfer <kodi@arfer.net> wrote:
> "none" is allowed as an argument to :results (see, for example, ob-core.el
> line 704 as of Git d36bd8d), but this isn't mentioned in results.html. I
> just learned of its existence while reading ob-core.el.
>
> To me, by the way, ":results none" seems like a useful feature rather than
> being redundant with ":results silent", because it won't attempt to print a
> massive object to the echo area. (Pehaps "silent" wasn't a great choice of
> name.)
>



-- 
Grant Rettke
gcr@wisdomandwonder.com | http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/
“Wisdom begins in wonder.” --Socrates
((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))
“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop
taking it seriously.” --Thompson

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 14+ messages in thread

* Re: ":results none" doesn't seem to be documented
  2015-01-14 22:09 ` Andreas Leha
@ 2015-01-14 22:19   ` Fabrice Niessen
  2015-01-14 22:27     ` Andreas Leha
  2015-01-15  8:31     ` Rainer M Krug
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 14+ messages in thread
From: Fabrice Niessen @ 2015-01-14 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello,

Andreas Leha wrote:
> Kodi Arfer <kodi-F2WQSDlpSWheoWH0uzbU5w@public.gmane.org> writes:
>> "none" is allowed as an argument to :results (see, for example,
>> ob-core.el line 704 as of Git d36bd8d), but this isn't mentioned in
>> results.html. I just learned of its existence while reading
>> ob-core.el.
>>
>> To me, by the way, ":results none" seems like a useful feature rather
>> than being redundant with ":results silent", because it won't attempt
>> to print a massive object to the echo area. (Pehaps "silent" wasn't a
>> great choice of name.)
>
> Especially given that ":results none" prints "results silenced" in the
> echo area.  Should rather be "results nonced" ;-)

They're not the same...

Extract from my modest (and still "work in progress") Org-Babel
refcard [1]:

- :results silent ::
     Sends the commands, echoes the results in the minibuffer (to see
     code block output), but *does not change the Org mode buffer* (even
     during export, *no results are inserted* into the exported
     document).
     (default for Org and Screen code blocks)

- :results none ::
     Silents the results, even for the minibuffer.  By definition, such
     a code block is run for its side effects.

Best regards,
Fabrice

[1] https://github.com/fniessen/refcard-org-babel

-- 
Fabrice Niessen
Leuven, Belgium
http://www.pirilampo.org/

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 14+ messages in thread

* Re: ":results none" doesn't seem to be documented
  2015-01-14 22:19   ` Fabrice Niessen
@ 2015-01-14 22:27     ` Andreas Leha
  2015-01-15  8:30       ` Rainer M Krug
  2015-01-15 12:25       ` Fabrice Niessen
  2015-01-15  8:31     ` Rainer M Krug
  1 sibling, 2 replies; 14+ messages in thread
From: Andreas Leha @ 2015-01-14 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode


Fabrice Niessen <fni-news@pirilampo.org> writes:
> Hello,
>
> Andreas Leha wrote:
>> Kodi Arfer <kodi@arfer.net> writes:
>>> "none" is allowed as an argument to :results (see, for example,
>>> ob-core.el line 704 as of Git d36bd8d), but this isn't mentioned in
>>> results.html. I just learned of its existence while reading
>>> ob-core.el.
>>>
>>> To me, by the way, ":results none" seems like a useful feature rather
>>> than being redundant with ":results silent", because it won't attempt
>>> to print a massive object to the echo area. (Pehaps "silent" wasn't a
>>> great choice of name.)
>>
>> Especially given that ":results none" prints "results silenced" in the
>> echo area.  Should rather be "results nonced" ;-)
>
> They're not the same...

I know.  I just wanted to stress the unfortunate naming.  Unfortunate,
because if you want the source block to produce "results silenced" you
must not specify ":results silent", but rather ":results none" which is
counter intuitive.

>
> Extract from my modest (and still "work in progress") Org-Babel
> refcard [1]:
>
> - :results silent ::
>      Sends the commands, echoes the results in the minibuffer (to see
>      code block output), but *does not change the Org mode buffer* (even
>      during export, *no results are inserted* into the exported
>      document).
>      (default for Org and Screen code blocks)
>
> - :results none ::
>      Silents the results, even for the minibuffer.  By definition, such
>      a code block is run for its side effects.
>
> Best regards,
> Fabrice
>
> [1] https://github.com/fniessen/refcard-org-babel

That looks nice!


Andreas

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 14+ messages in thread

* Re: ":results none" doesn't seem to be documented
  2015-01-14 21:47 ":results none" doesn't seem to be documented Kodi Arfer
  2015-01-14 22:09 ` Andreas Leha
  2015-01-14 22:11 ` Grant Rettke
@ 2015-01-14 23:13 ` Samuel Wales
  2015-01-15  9:40   ` Andreas Leha
  2015-01-14 23:38 ` John Hendy
  3 siblings, 1 reply; 14+ messages in thread
From: Samuel Wales @ 2015-01-14 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kodi Arfer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

if we redo this, perhaps we can also include an option that does
export like :results verbatim, but does not send to echo area?

unless i am misunderstanding something about babel [which is possible].

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 14+ messages in thread

* Re: ":results none" doesn't seem to be documented
  2015-01-14 21:47 ":results none" doesn't seem to be documented Kodi Arfer
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
  2015-01-14 23:13 ` Samuel Wales
@ 2015-01-14 23:38 ` John Hendy
  3 siblings, 0 replies; 14+ messages in thread
From: John Hendy @ 2015-01-14 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kodi Arfer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 810 bytes --]

On Jan 14, 2015 3:48 PM, "Kodi Arfer" <kodi@arfer.net> wrote:
>
> "none" is allowed as an argument to :results (see, for example,
ob-core.el line 704 as of Git d36bd8d), but this isn't mentioned in
results.html. I just learned of its existence while reading ob-core.el.
>
> To me, by the way, ":results none" seems like a useful feature rather
than being redundant with ":results silent", because it won't attempt to
print a massive object to the echo area. (Pehaps "silent" wasn't a great
choice of name.)
>

This might not be documented as it was a patch resulting from this thread
where I was getting really slow results using R and results :silent. See
this thread:
- https://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg62120.html

Makes me wonder if the code was added but the manual not updated?

John

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 1119 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 14+ messages in thread

* Re: ":results none" doesn't seem to be documented
  2015-01-14 22:27     ` Andreas Leha
@ 2015-01-15  8:30       ` Rainer M Krug
  2015-01-15 12:25       ` Fabrice Niessen
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 14+ messages in thread
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2015-01-15  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Leha; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2333 bytes --]

Andreas Leha <andreas.leha@med.uni-goettingen.de> writes:

> Fabrice Niessen <fni-news@pirilampo.org> writes:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Andreas Leha wrote:
>>> Kodi Arfer <kodi@arfer.net> writes:
>>>> "none" is allowed as an argument to :results (see, for example,
>>>> ob-core.el line 704 as of Git d36bd8d), but this isn't mentioned in
>>>> results.html. I just learned of its existence while reading
>>>> ob-core.el.
>>>>
>>>> To me, by the way, ":results none" seems like a useful feature rather
>>>> than being redundant with ":results silent", because it won't attempt
>>>> to print a massive object to the echo area. (Pehaps "silent" wasn't a
>>>> great choice of name.)
>>>
>>> Especially given that ":results none" prints "results silenced" in the
>>> echo area.  Should rather be "results nonced" ;-)
>>
>> They're not the same...
>
> I know.  I just wanted to stress the unfortunate naming.  Unfortunate,
> because if you want the source block to produce "results silenced" you
> must not specify ":results silent", but rather ":results none"

No - I do not are here (but it is sematics...): ~:results silent~
implies for me that there *are* results, but they are passed to org
silently, without any fuss (read: output in the org document). If I read
~:results none~ it imlies to me that ther *are none results* returned -
neither i org intrnally (e.g. variables) or output (e.g. in org
document). So the naming makes sense to me, but I was not aware of the
~none~.

Cheers,

Rainer

> which is
> counter intuitive.
>
>>
>> Extract from my modest (and still "work in progress") Org-Babel
>> refcard [1]:
>>
>> - :results silent ::
>>      Sends the commands, echoes the results in the minibuffer (to see
>>      code block output), but *does not change the Org mode buffer* (even
>>      during export, *no results are inserted* into the exported
>>      document).
>>      (default for Org and Screen code blocks)
>>
>> - :results none ::
>>      Silents the results, even for the minibuffer.  By definition, such
>>      a code block is run for its side effects.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Fabrice
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/fniessen/refcard-org-babel
>
> That looks nice!
>
>
> Andreas
>
>
>

-- 
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de
PGP: 0x0F52F982

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 494 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 14+ messages in thread

* Re: ":results none" doesn't seem to be documented
  2015-01-14 22:19   ` Fabrice Niessen
  2015-01-14 22:27     ` Andreas Leha
@ 2015-01-15  8:31     ` Rainer M Krug
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 14+ messages in thread
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2015-01-15  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrice Niessen; +Cc: public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1627 bytes --]

Fabrice Niessen <fni-news-TA4HMoP+1wHrZ44/DZwexQ@public.gmane.org>
writes:

> Hello,
>
> Andreas Leha wrote:
>> Kodi Arfer <kodi-F2WQSDlpSWheoWH0uzbU5w@public.gmane.org> writes:
>>> "none" is allowed as an argument to :results (see, for example,
>>> ob-core.el line 704 as of Git d36bd8d), but this isn't mentioned in
>>> results.html. I just learned of its existence while reading
>>> ob-core.el.
>>>
>>> To me, by the way, ":results none" seems like a useful feature rather
>>> than being redundant with ":results silent", because it won't attempt
>>> to print a massive object to the echo area. (Pehaps "silent" wasn't a
>>> great choice of name.)
>>
>> Especially given that ":results none" prints "results silenced" in the
>> echo area.  Should rather be "results nonced" ;-)
>
> They're not the same...
>
> Extract from my modest (and still "work in progress") Org-Babel
> refcard [1]:

Looks very useful - I will see if I have something to contribute.

Cheers,

Rainer

>
> - :results silent ::
>      Sends the commands, echoes the results in the minibuffer (to see
>      code block output), but *does not change the Org mode buffer* (even
>      during export, *no results are inserted* into the exported
>      document).
>      (default for Org and Screen code blocks)
>
> - :results none ::
>      Silents the results, even for the minibuffer.  By definition, such
>      a code block is run for its side effects.
>
> Best regards,
> Fabrice
>
> [1] https://github.com/fniessen/refcard-org-babel

-- 
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de
PGP: 0x0F52F982

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 494 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 14+ messages in thread

* Re: ":results none" doesn't seem to be documented
  2015-01-14 23:13 ` Samuel Wales
@ 2015-01-15  9:40   ` Andreas Leha
  2015-01-15 19:27     ` Samuel Wales
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 14+ messages in thread
From: Andreas Leha @ 2015-01-15  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> writes:
> if we redo this, perhaps we can also include an option that does
> export like :results verbatim, but does not send to echo area?
>
> unless i am misunderstanding something about babel [which is possible].

I do not think this discussion warrants any re-doing so far.  (Only an
addition to the manual)

Your suggestion seems like the missing thing here.  But I am not sure
how badly needed that is.  As John said, the ":results none" argument
was added to speed things up when the results are huge.  I have no idea
how much overhead it is to copy the results into the org buffer and into
the echo area.

At least it has not bothered me yet.  When the results are too big, I
usually use ":results none" because I do not want to see them in the org
buffer either.

Just my opinion,
Andreas

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 14+ messages in thread

* Re: ":results none" doesn't seem to be documented
  2015-01-14 22:27     ` Andreas Leha
  2015-01-15  8:30       ` Rainer M Krug
@ 2015-01-15 12:25       ` Fabrice Niessen
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 14+ messages in thread
From: Fabrice Niessen @ 2015-01-15 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Andreas Leha wrote:
> Fabrice Niessen <fni-news-TA4HMoP+1wHrZ44/DZwexQ@public.gmane.org> writes:
>> Andreas Leha wrote:
>>> Kodi Arfer <kodi-F2WQSDlpSWheoWH0uzbU5w@public.gmane.org> writes:
>>>> "none" is allowed as an argument to :results (see, for example,
>>>> ob-core.el line 704 as of Git d36bd8d), but this isn't mentioned in
>>>> results.html. I just learned of its existence while reading
>>>> ob-core.el.
>>>>
>>>> To me, by the way, ":results none" seems like a useful feature rather
>>>> than being redundant with ":results silent", because it won't attempt
>>>> to print a massive object to the echo area. (Pehaps "silent" wasn't a
>>>> great choice of name.)
>>>
>>> Especially given that ":results none" prints "results silenced" in the
>>> echo area.  Should rather be "results nonced" ;-)
>>
>> They're not the same...
>
> I know.  I just wanted to stress the unfortunate naming.  Unfortunate,
> because if you want the source block to produce "results silenced" you
> must not specify ":results silent", but rather ":results none" which is
> counter intuitive.

I agree. I think we cannot afford to change the option values, but you
could imagine changing the string in the echo area to something like
"no results displayed" or some such.

>> Extract from my modest (and still "work in progress") Org-Babel
>> refcard [1]:
>>
>> - :results silent ::
>>      Sends the commands, echoes the results in the minibuffer (to see
>>      code block output), but *does not change the Org mode buffer* (even
>>      during export, *no results are inserted* into the exported
>>      document).
>>      (default for Org and Screen code blocks)
>>
>> - :results none ::
>>      Silents the results, even for the minibuffer.  By definition, such
>>      a code block is run for its side effects.
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/fniessen/refcard-org-babel
>
> That looks nice!

Thanks.

Fabrice

-- 
Fabrice Niessen
Leuven, Belgium
http://www.pirilampo.org/

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 14+ messages in thread

* Re: ":results none" doesn't seem to be documented
  2015-01-15  9:40   ` Andreas Leha
@ 2015-01-15 19:27     ` Samuel Wales
  2015-01-15 20:32       ` Andreas Leha
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 14+ messages in thread
From: Samuel Wales @ 2015-01-15 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Leha; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 1/15/15, Andreas Leha <andreas.leha@med.uni-goettingen.de> wrote:
> Your suggestion seems like the missing thing here.  But I am not sure
> how badly needed that is.  As John said, the ":results none" argument
> was added to speed things up when the results are huge.  I have no idea

this does not export ime.

> how much overhead it is to copy the results into the org buffer and into
> the echo area.

slow ime.

-- 
The Kafka Pandemic: http://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com

The disease DOES progress.  MANY people have died from it.  And
ANYBODY can get it.

Denmark: free Karina Hansen NOW.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 14+ messages in thread

* Re: ":results none" doesn't seem to be documented
  2015-01-15 19:27     ` Samuel Wales
@ 2015-01-15 20:32       ` Andreas Leha
  2015-01-15 23:10         ` Samuel Wales
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 14+ messages in thread
From: Andreas Leha @ 2015-01-15 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Samuel,

Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> writes:
> On 1/15/15, Andreas Leha <andreas.leha@med.uni-goettingen.de> wrote:
>> Your suggestion seems like the missing thing here.  But I am not sure
>> how badly needed that is.  As John said, the ":results none" argument
>> was added to speed things up when the results are huge.  I have no idea
>
> this does not export ime.
>
>> how much overhead it is to copy the results into the org buffer and into
>> the echo area.
>
> slow ime.

I am sorry, but your message is to short for me to make sense of.

Best,
Andreas

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 14+ messages in thread

* Re: ":results none" doesn't seem to be documented
  2015-01-15 20:32       ` Andreas Leha
@ 2015-01-15 23:10         ` Samuel Wales
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 14+ messages in thread
From: Samuel Wales @ 2015-01-15 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Leha; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 1/15/15, Andreas Leha <andreas.leha@med.uni-goettingen.de> wrote:
> I am sorry, but your message is to short for me to make sense of.

about as short :]: exporting is slow because it echoes to minibuffer.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 14+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2015-01-15 23:10 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 14+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2015-01-14 21:47 ":results none" doesn't seem to be documented Kodi Arfer
2015-01-14 22:09 ` Andreas Leha
2015-01-14 22:19   ` Fabrice Niessen
2015-01-14 22:27     ` Andreas Leha
2015-01-15  8:30       ` Rainer M Krug
2015-01-15 12:25       ` Fabrice Niessen
2015-01-15  8:31     ` Rainer M Krug
2015-01-14 22:11 ` Grant Rettke
2015-01-14 23:13 ` Samuel Wales
2015-01-15  9:40   ` Andreas Leha
2015-01-15 19:27     ` Samuel Wales
2015-01-15 20:32       ` Andreas Leha
2015-01-15 23:10         ` Samuel Wales
2015-01-14 23:38 ` John Hendy

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this public inbox

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).