* ":results none" doesn't seem to be documented
@ 2015-01-14 21:47 Kodi Arfer
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Kodi Arfer @ 2015-01-14 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"none" is allowed as an argument to :results (see, for example,
ob-core.el line 704 as of Git d36bd8d), but this isn't mentioned in
results.html. I just learned of its existence while reading ob-core.el.

To me, by the way, ":results none" seems like a useful feature rather
than being redundant with ":results silent", because it won't attempt to
print a massive object to the echo area. (Pehaps "silent" wasn't a great
choice of name.)

* Re: ":results none" doesn't seem to be documented
@ 2015-01-14 22:09 ` Andreas Leha
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Andreas Leha @ 2015-01-14 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Kodi Arfer <kodi@arfer.net> writes:
> "none" is allowed as an argument to :results (see, for example,
> ob-core.el line 704 as of Git d36bd8d), but this isn't mentioned in
> results.html. I just learned of its existence while reading
> ob-core.el.
>
> To me, by the way, ":results none" seems like a useful feature rather
> than being redundant with ":results silent", because it won't attempt
> to print a massive object to the echo area. (Pehaps "silent" wasn't a
> great choice of name.)

Especially given that ":results none" prints "results silenced" in the
echo area.  Should rather be "results nonced" ;-)

Andreas

* Re: ":results none" doesn't seem to be documented
@ 2015-01-14 22:11 ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2015-01-14 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kodi Arfer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Good to know, thanks for sharing that.

That is really helpful if you are duplicating Knitr's approach in Org
for example because you get kind of motion sick watching the mode line
bounce up and down.

--
Grant Rettke
gcr@wisdomandwonder.com | http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/

* Re: ":results none" doesn't seem to be documented
@ 2015-01-14 22:19   ` Fabrice Niessen
From: Fabrice Niessen @ 2015-01-14 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello,

Andreas Leha wrote:
> Kodi Arfer <kodi-F2WQSDlpSWheoWH0uzbU5w@public.gmane.org> writes:
>> "none" is allowed as an argument to :results (see, for example,
>> ob-core.el line 704 as of Git d36bd8d), but this isn't mentioned in
>> results.html. I just learned of its existence while reading
>> ob-core.el.
>>
>> To me, by the way, ":results none" seems like a useful feature rather
>> than being redundant with ":results silent", because it won't attempt
>> to print a massive object to the echo area. (Pehaps "silent" wasn't a
>> great choice of name.)
>
> Especially given that ":results none" prints "results silenced" in the
> echo area.  Should rather be "results nonced" ;-)

They're not the same...

Extract from my modest (and still "work in progress") Org-Babel
refcard [1]:

- :results silent ::
     Sends the commands, echoes the results in the minibuffer (to see
     code block output), but *does not change the Org mode buffer* (even
     during export, *no results are inserted* into the exported
     document).
     (default for Org and Screen code blocks)

- :results none ::
     Silents the results, even for the minibuffer.  By definition, such
     a code block is run for its side effects.

Best regards,
Fabrice

[1] https://github.com/fniessen/refcard-org-babel

--
Fabrice Niessen
Leuven, Belgium

* Re: ":results none" doesn't seem to be documented
@ 2015-01-14 22:27     ` Andreas Leha
From: Andreas Leha @ 2015-01-14 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Fabrice Niessen <fni-news@pirilampo.org> writes:
> Hello,
>
> Andreas Leha wrote:
>> Kodi Arfer <kodi@arfer.net> writes:
>>> "none" is allowed as an argument to :results (see, for example,
>>> ob-core.el line 704 as of Git d36bd8d), but this isn't mentioned in
>>> results.html. I just learned of its existence while reading
>>> ob-core.el.
>>>
>>> To me, by the way, ":results none" seems like a useful feature rather
>>> than being redundant with ":results silent", because it won't attempt
>>> to print a massive object to the echo area. (Pehaps "silent" wasn't a
>>> great choice of name.)
>>
>> Especially given that ":results none" prints "results silenced" in the
>> echo area.  Should rather be "results nonced" ;-)
>
> They're not the same...

I know.  I just wanted to stress the unfortunate naming.  Unfortunate,
because if you want the source block to produce "results silenced" you
must not specify ":results silent", but rather ":results none" which is
counter intuitive.

> Extract from my modest (and still "work in progress") Org-Babel
> refcard [1]:
>
> - :results silent ::
>      Sends the commands, echoes the results in the minibuffer (to see
>      code block output), but *does not change the Org mode buffer* (even
>      during export, *no results are inserted* into the exported
>      document).
>      (default for Org and Screen code blocks)
>
> - :results none ::
>      Silents the results, even for the minibuffer.  By definition, such
>      a code block is run for its side effects.
>
> Best regards,
> Fabrice
>
> [1] https://github.com/fniessen/refcard-org-babel

That looks nice!

Andreas

* Re: ":results none" doesn't seem to be documented
@ 2015-01-14 23:13 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2015-01-14 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kodi Arfer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

if we redo this, perhaps we can also include an option that does
export like :results verbatim, but does not send to echo area?

unless i am misunderstanding something about babel [which is possible].

* Re: ":results none" doesn't seem to be documented
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-01-14 23:38 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2015-01-14 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kodi Arfer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jan 14, 2015 3:48 PM, "Kodi Arfer" <kodi@arfer.net> wrote:

> "none" is allowed as an argument to :results (see, for example,
ob-core.el line 704 as of Git d36bd8d), but this isn't mentioned in
results.html. I just learned of its existence while reading ob-core.el.

> To me, by the way, ":results none" seems like a useful feature rather
than being redundant with ":results silent", because it won't attempt to
print a massive object to the echo area. (Pehaps "silent" wasn't a great
choice of name.)

This might not be documented as it was a patch resulting from this thread
where I was getting really slow results using R and results :silent. See
this thread:
- https://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg62120.html

Makes me wonder if the code was added but the manual not updated?

John

* Re: ":results none" doesn't seem to be documented
@ 2015-01-15  8:30       ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2015-01-15  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Leha; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Andreas Leha <andreas.leha@med.uni-goettingen.de> writes:

> Fabrice Niessen <fni-news@pirilampo.org> writes:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Andreas Leha wrote:

>>> Especially given that ":results none" prints "results silenced" in the
>>> echo area.  Should rather be "results nonced" ;-)
>>
>> They're not the same...
>
> I know.  I just wanted to stress the unfortunate naming.  Unfortunate,
> because if you want the source block to produce "results silenced" you
> must not specify ":results silent", but rather ":results none"

No - I do not are here (but it is sematics...): ~:results silent~
implies for me that there *are* results, but they are passed to org
silently, without any fuss (read: output in the org document). If I read
~:results none~ it imlies to me that ther *are none results* returned -
neither i org intrnally (e.g. variables) or output (e.g. in org
document). So the naming makes sense to me, but I was not aware of the
~none~.

Cheers,

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: ":results none" doesn't seem to be documented
@ 2015-01-15  8:31     ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2015-01-15  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrice Niessen; +Cc: public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Fabrice Niessen <fni-news-TA4HMoP+1wHrZ44/DZwexQ@public.gmane.org>
writes:

> Hello,
>
> Andreas Leha wrote:
>> Kodi Arfer <kodi-F2WQSDlpSWheoWH0uzbU5w@public.gmane.org> writes:
>>> "none" is allowed as an argument to :results (see, for example,
>>> ob-core.el line 704 as of Git d36bd8d), but this isn't mentioned in
>>> results.html. I just learned of its existence while reading
>>> ob-core.el.
>>>
>>> To me, by the way, ":results none" seems like a useful feature rather
>>> than being redundant with ":results silent", because it won't attempt
>>> to print a massive object to the echo area. (Pehaps "silent" wasn't a
>>> great choice of name.)
>>
>> Especially given that ":results none" prints "results silenced" in the
>> echo area.  Should rather be "results nonced" ;-)
>
> They're not the same...
>
> Extract from my modest (and still "work in progress") Org-Babel
> refcard [1]:

Looks very useful - I will see if I have something to contribute.

Cheers,

Rainer

@ 2015-01-15  9:40   ` Andreas Leha
From: Andreas Leha @ 2015-01-15  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> if we redo this, perhaps we can also include an option that does
> export like :results verbatim, but does not send to echo area?
>
> unless i am misunderstanding something about babel [which is possible].

I do not think this discussion warrants any re-doing so far.  (Only an
addition to the manual)

Your suggestion seems like the missing thing here.  But I am not sure
how badly needed that is.  As John said, the ":results none" argument
was added to speed things up when the results are huge.  I have no idea
how much overhead it is to copy the results into the org buffer and into
the echo area.

At least it has not bothered me yet.  When the results are too big, I
usually use ":results none" because I do not want to see them in the org
buffer either.

Just my opinion,
Andreas

* Re: ":results none" doesn't seem to be documented
@ 2015-01-15 12:25       ` Fabrice Niessen
From: Fabrice Niessen @ 2015-01-15 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Andreas Leha wrote:
> Fabrice Niessen <fni-news-TA4HMoP+1wHrZ44/DZwexQ@public.gmane.org> writes:
>> Andreas Leha wrote:

>>> Especially given that ":results none" prints "results silenced" in the
>>> echo area.  Should rather be "results nonced" ;-)
>>
>> They're not the same...
>
> I know.  I just wanted to stress the unfortunate naming.  Unfortunate,
> because if you want the source block to produce "results silenced" you
> must not specify ":results silent", but rather ":results none" which is
> counter intuitive.

I agree. I think we cannot afford to change the option values, but you
could imagine changing the string in the echo area to something like
"no results displayed" or some such.

>> Extract from my modest (and still "work in progress") Org-Babel
>> refcard [1]:
>>
>> - :results silent ::
>>      Sends the commands, echoes the results in the minibuffer (to see
>>      code block output), but *does not change the Org mode buffer* (even
>>      during export, *no results are inserted* into the exported
>>      document).
>>      (default for Org and Screen code blocks)
>>
>> - :results none ::
>>      Silents the results, even for the minibuffer.  By definition, such
>>      a code block is run for its side effects.
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/fniessen/refcard-org-babel
>
> That looks nice!

Thanks.

Fabrice

--
Fabrice Niessen
Leuven, Belgium

* Re: ":results none" doesn't seem to be documented
@ 2015-01-15 19:27     ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2015-01-15 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Leha; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 1/15/15, Andreas Leha <andreas.leha@med.uni-goettingen.de> wrote:
> Your suggestion seems like the missing thing here.  But I am not sure
> how badly needed that is.  As John said, the ":results none" argument
> was added to speed things up when the results are huge.  I have no idea

this does not export ime.

> how much overhead it is to copy the results into the org buffer and into
> the echo area.

slow ime.

The disease DOES progress.  MANY people have died from it.  And
ANYBODY can get it.

Denmark: free Karina Hansen NOW.

* Re: ":results none" doesn't seem to be documented
@ 2015-01-15 20:32       ` Andreas Leha
From: Andreas Leha @ 2015-01-15 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Samuel,

> On 1/15/15, Andreas Leha <andreas.leha@med.uni-goettingen.de> wrote:
>> Your suggestion seems like the missing thing here.  But I am not sure
>> how badly needed that is.  As John said, the ":results none" argument
>> was added to speed things up when the results are huge.  I have no idea
>
> this does not export ime.
>
>> how much overhead it is to copy the results into the org buffer and into
>> the echo area.
>
> slow ime.

I am sorry, but your message is to short for me to make sense of.

Best,
Andreas

* Re: ":results none" doesn't seem to be documented
@ 2015-01-15 23:10         ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2015-01-15 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Leha; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 1/15/15, Andreas Leha <andreas.leha@med.uni-goettingen.de> wrote:
> I am sorry, but your message is to short for me to make sense of.

about as short :]: exporting is slow because it echoes to minibuffer.