* dynamically calculated timestamps?
@ 2010-09-02 13:14 Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2010-09-02 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Yet another question (I've had a bunch lately).

In my syllabus I have a bunch of headings like this:

* Outline: Semester 1
** Introduction: What is History For?
** History and the Public Sphere
** Recursive Publics
** Abundant Information and the Digitial Divide
** Crowdsourcing

(there are subheadings and text in between).  While i'm planning I like to
move the headings around quite a bit, but it would be nice, while I'm doing
that, to still know what date the class meeting will take place on.  So I
would like to do something like this:
* Outline: Semester 1
** Introduction: What is History For? <2010-09-16 Thu>
** History and the Public Sphere <<last timestamp+7 days >>
** Recursive Publics<<last timestamp+7 days >>

So essentially, have something like a spreadsheet formula embedded in the
timestamp.  Does anyone have any ideas how I might jerryrig something like
that? It would certainly be helpful to me.

Anyay thanks much, again,
Matt

* Re: dynamically calculated timestamps?
@ 2010-09-02 16:52 ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2010-09-02 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 6:44 PM, Matt Price wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yet another question (I've had a bunch lately).
>
> In my syllabus I have a bunch of headings like this:
>
> * Outline: Semester 1
> ** Introduction: What is History For?
> ** History and the Public Sphere
> ** Recursive Publics
> ** Abundant Information and the Digitial Divide
> ** Crowdsourcing
>
> (there are subheadings and text in between). While i'm planning I like
> to move the headings around quite a bit, but it would be nice, while
> I'm doing that, to still know what date the class meeting will take
> place on. So I would like to do something like this:
> * Outline: Semester 1
> ** Introduction: What is History For? <2010-09-16 Thu>
> ** History and the Public Sphere <<last timestamp+7 days >>
> ** Recursive Publics<<last timestamp+7 days >>

"last timestamp" here refers to the date in previous item or last date
class was held?

> So essentially, have something like a spreadsheet formula embedded in the
> timestamp.  Does anyone have any ideas how I might jerryrig something like
> that? It would certainly be helpful to me.

The reference to spreadsheet like formula suggests that you want the
date from previous item to be used to calculate the date for current
item and a change in the former should cause an appropriate change on
the latter. org-depend.el (in contrib/lisp) can be used to define the
relationships but I don't know how you could link dates that way.

Not very helpful.  Sorry.

-- Manish

* Re: dynamically calculated timestamps?
@ 2010-09-02 17:15   ` Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2010-09-02 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 12:52 PM, Manish <mailtomanish.sharma@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 6:44 PM, Matt Price wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Yet another question (I've had a bunch lately).
> >
> > In my syllabus I have a bunch of headings like this:
> >
> > * Outline: Semester 1
> > ** Introduction: What is History For?
> > ** History and the Public Sphere
> > ** Recursive Publics
> > ** Abundant Information and the Digitial Divide
> > ** Crowdsourcing
> >
> > (there are subheadings and text in between). While i'm planning I like
> > to move the headings around quite a bit, but it would be nice, while
> > I'm doing that, to still know what date the class meeting will take
> > place on. So I would like to do something like this:
> > * Outline: Semester 1
> > ** Introduction: What is History For? <2010-09-16 Thu>
> > ** History and the Public Sphere <<last timestamp+7 days >>
> > ** Recursive Publics<<last timestamp+7 days >>
> >

> "last timestamp" here refers to the date in previous item or last date
> class was held?
>
> to the previous timestamp, sorry.

> > So essentially, have something like a spreadsheet formula embedded in the
> > timestamp.  Does anyone have any ideas how I might jerryrig something
> like
> > that? It would certainly be helpful to me.
>
> The reference to spreadsheet like formula suggests that you want the
> date from previous item to be used to calculate the date for current
> item and a change in the former should cause an appropriate change on
> the latter. org-depend.el (in contrib/lisp) can be used to define the
> relationships but I don't know how you could link dates that way.
>
> Thanks for the pointer, but that file remains a little opaque to me! maybe
someone will explain itto me.  Thanks much for the help though.
.

@ 2010-09-02 17:31     ` Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2010-09-02 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 1:15 PM, Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> wrote:

> > (there are subheadings and text in between). While i'm planning I like
>> > to move the headings around quite a bit, but it would be nice, while
>> > I'm doing that, to still know what date the class meeting will take
>> > place on. So I would like to do something like this:
>> > * Outline: Semester 1
>> > ** Introduction: What is History For? <2010-09-16 Thu>
>> > ** History and the Public Sphere <<last timestamp+7 days >>
>> > ** Recursive Publics<<last timestamp+7 days >>
>> >

>> "last timestamp" here refers to the date in previous item or last date
>> class was held?
>>
>> to the previous timestamp, sorry.
>

>>  > So essentially, have something like a spreadsheet formula embedded in
>> the
>> > timestamp.  Does anyone have any ideas how I might jerryrig something
>> like
>> > that? It would certainly be helpful to me.
>>
>> The reference to spreadsheet like formula suggests that you want the
>> date from previous item to be used to calculate the date for current
>> item and a change in the former should cause an appropriate change on
>> the latter. org-depend.el (in contrib/lisp) can be used to define the
>> relationships but I don't know how you could link dates that way.
>>
>> Thanks for the pointer, but that file remains a little opaque to me! maybe
> someone will explain itto me.  Thanks much for the help though.

i've just been htinking about it and it seems this ought to be pretty
simple:
- find the last timestamp
- read its value
- update timestamp of current headin

so, in broken syntactically flawed pseudocode:
(defun change-stamp
(save-excursion (goto-last-timestamp)
(save-timestamp-value))
(set-timestamp-to-saved))
something like that.  but of course those functions would have to be
written.  any ideas?

 thanks,
matt

@ 2010-09-02 22:42 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-09-02 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Org makes it so easy to (re)schedule a task that I'm not sure dynamic
relative timestamps are not a bit too much (even if playing with this
idea is fun, I agree.)

--
 Bastien