On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 1:15 PM, Matt Price wrote: > > > (there are subheadings and text in between). While i'm planning I like >> > to move the headings around quite a bit, but it would be nice, while >> > I'm doing that, to still know what date the class meeting will take >> > place on. So I would like to do something like this: >> > * Outline: Semester 1 >> > ** Introduction: What is History For? <2010-09-16 Thu> >> > ** History and the Public Sphere <> >> > ** Recursive Publics<> >> > >> >> "last timestamp" here refers to the date in previous item or last date >> class was held? >> >> to the previous timestamp, sorry. > > >> > So essentially, have something like a spreadsheet formula embedded in >> the >> > timestamp. Does anyone have any ideas how I might jerryrig something >> like >> > that? It would certainly be helpful to me. >> >> The reference to spreadsheet like formula suggests that you want the >> date from previous item to be used to calculate the date for current >> item and a change in the former should cause an appropriate change on >> the latter. org-depend.el (in contrib/lisp) can be used to define the >> relationships but I don't know how you could link dates that way. >> >> Thanks for the pointer, but that file remains a little opaque to me! maybe > someone will explain itto me. Thanks much for the help though. > i've just been htinking about it and it seems this ought to be pretty simple: - find the last timestamp - read its value - go back to point - update timestamp of current headin so, in broken syntactically flawed pseudocode: (defun change-stamp (save-excursion (goto-last-timestamp) (save-timestamp-value)) (set-timestamp-to-saved)) something like that. but of course those functions would have to be written. any ideas? thanks, matt > . > matt >