* Org-mode and continuing BBDB compatibility
@ 2013-10-21 19:34 Christopher Culver
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Christopher Culver @ 2013-10-21 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am using org-mode version 20131021 and the latest checkout of the
bbdb3 git repository. Although I have the following lines in my main
.org file:

* Anniversaries
       :PROPERTIES:
       :CATEGORY: Anniv
       :END:
  %%(org-bbdb-anniversaries)

I do not see anniversaries from my .bbdb file in the agenda. I know that
some work was done in the past with making org-mode compatible with
bbdb3, but are the two projects no longer compatible, or do I probably
have some other problem on my end?

Christopher Culver

* Re: Org-mode and continuing BBDB compatibility
@ 2013-10-21 19:49 ` Myles English
From: Myles English @ 2013-10-21 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Culver; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Christopher,

crculver@christopherculver.com writes:

> I am using org-mode version 20131021 and the latest checkout of the
> bbdb3 git repository.

I am using older versions.

> Although I have the following lines in my main .org file:
>
> * Anniversaries
>        :PROPERTIES:
>        :CATEGORY: Anniv
>        :END:
>   %%(org-bbdb-anniversaries)
>
> I do not see anniversaries from my .bbdb file in the agenda. I know that
> some work was done in the past with making org-mode compatible with
> bbdb3, but are the two projects no longer compatible, or do I probably
> have some other problem on my end?

I think you might need:

(setq org-bbdb-anniversary-field 'birthday)

or

(setq org-bbdb-anniversary-field 'anniversary)

depending on what you called the anniversary field.

If you work out how to display birthdays and anniversaries in the same
agenda please share.

Myles

* Re: Org-mode and continuing BBDB compatibility
@ 2013-10-21 19:58   ` Christopher Culver
From: Christopher Culver @ 2013-10-21 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Myles English; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Myles English <mylesenglish@gmail.com> writes:
> I think you might need:
>
> (setq org-bbdb-anniversary-field 'birthday)
>
> or
>
> (setq org-bbdb-anniversary-field 'anniversary)
>
> depending on what you called the anniversary field.

My anniversary field in ~/.bbdb is called "anniversary". Setting this
option has no effect for me: I still do not see bbdb anniversaries in
the org-mode agenda.

@ 2013-10-21 19:59 ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2013-10-21 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Christopher Culver <crculver@christopherculver.com> writes:

Hi Christopher:

> I do not see anniversaries from my .bbdb file in the agenda. I know
> that some work was done in the past with making org-mode compatible
> with bbdb3, but are the two projects no longer compatible, or do I
> probably have some other problem on my end?

Works fine here (I am using the git version of both). How are you

      (require 'bbdb-loaddefs)

Charles

--
"Are [Linux users] lemmings collectively jumping off of the cliff of
reliable, well-engineered commercial software?"

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Org-mode and continuing BBDB compatibility
@ 2013-10-21 20:11   ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2013-10-21 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Charles,

Charles Philip Chan wrote:
> Christopher Culver <crculver-Nf+wZpSdgweUorMFhusT8nnhMCiq3JZZ@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> I do not see anniversaries from my .bbdb file in the agenda. I know
>> that some work was done in the past with making org-mode compatible
>> with bbdb3, but are the two projects no longer compatible, or do I
>> probably have some other problem on my end?
>
> Works fine here (I am using the git version of both). How are you
>
>       (require 'bbdb-loaddefs)

You mean bbdb-autoloads?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Org-mode and continuing BBDB compatibility
@ 2013-10-21 20:22     ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2013-10-21 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

"Sebastien Vauban" <sva-news@mygooglest.com> writes:

> You mean bbdb-autoloads?

No, bbdb-loaddefs.el is part of bbdb3. Here is the instructions from the
README file:

4) Activate BBDB:

   i)   If the BBDB lisp files are in a directory
        "/path/to/bbdb/lisp" you can use in your emacs init file

        (require 'bbdb-loaddefs "/path/to/bbdb/lisp/bbdb-loaddefs.el")

        This adds "/path/to/bbdb/lisp" to the load-path; so it is all
        you need to make BBDB known to your Emacs.

   ii)  The user variable bbdb-print-tex-path should point to the directory
        where the BBDB TeX files reside (default /usr/local/share/bbdb).

Charles

--
"World domination.  Fast"
(By Linus Torvalds)

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Org-mode and continuing BBDB compatibility
@ 2013-10-21 20:33       ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2013-10-21 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Charles Philip Chan wrote:
> "Sebastien Vauban" <sva-news-D0wtAvR13HarG/iDocfnWg@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> You mean bbdb-autoloads?
>
> No, bbdb-loaddefs.el is part of bbdb3. Here is the instructions from the
> README file:
>
> 4) Activate BBDB:
>
>    i)   If the BBDB lisp files are in a directory
>         "/path/to/bbdb/lisp" you can use in your emacs init file
>
>         (require 'bbdb-loaddefs "/path/to/bbdb/lisp/bbdb-loaddefs.el")
>
>         This adds "/path/to/bbdb/lisp" to the load-path; so it is all
>         you need to make BBDB known to your Emacs.
>
>    ii)  The user variable bbdb-print-tex-path should point to the directory
>         where the BBDB TeX files reside (default /usr/local/share/bbdb).

Weird.

In the BBDB 3 version that I have from ELPA [1], I do have a file
`bbdb-autoloads.el', but no `bbdb-loaddefs.el'...

Best regards,
  Seb

[1] ~/.emacs.d/elpa/bbdb-20130728.2143

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Org-mode and continuing BBDB compatibility
@ 2013-10-21 20:45         ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2013-10-21 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

"Sebastien Vauban" <sva-news@mygooglest.com> writes:

Hi Sebastien:

> Weird.
>
> In the BBDB 3 version that I have from ELPA [1], I do have a file
> `bbdb-autoloads.el', but no `bbdb-loaddefs.el'...

Strange, the name was changed on 11 Dec 2011:

        http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.bbdb.user/2945

Charles

--
Linux is obsolete
(Andrew Tanenbaum)

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Org-mode and continuing BBDB compatibility
@ 2013-10-21 22:47 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-10-21 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Christopher Culver <crculver@christopherculver.com> writes:

> I am using org-mode version 20131021 and the latest checkout of the
> bbdb3 git repository. Although I have the following lines in my main
> .org file:
>
> * Anniversaries
>        :PROPERTIES:
>        :CATEGORY: Anniv
>        :END:
>   %%(org-bbdb-anniversaries)
>
> I do not see anniversaries from my .bbdb file in the agenda. I know that
> some work was done in the past with making org-mode compatible with
> bbdb3, but are the two projects no longer compatible, or do I probably
> have some other problem on my end?

I believe the %% construct is recognized only at the beginning of a
line: try deleting the white space in front.

Nick

* Re: Org-mode and continuing BBDB compatibility
       [not found] <mailman.109.1382457629.32648.emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
@ 2013-10-22 16:13 ` Christopher Culver
From: Christopher Culver @ 2013-10-22 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>  Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:
>> Christopher Culver <crculver@christopherculver.com> writes:
>> I am using org-mode version 20131021 and the latest checkout of the
>> bbdb3 git repository. Although I have the following lines in my main
>> .org file:
>>
>> * Anniversaries
>>        :PROPERTIES:
>>        :CATEGORY: Anniv
>>        :END:
>>   %%(org-bbdb-anniversaries)
>>
>> I do not see anniversaries from my .bbdb file in the agenda. I know that
>> some work was done in the past with making org-mode compatible with
>> bbdb3, but are the two projects no longer compatible, or do I probably
>> have some other problem on my end?
>
> I believe the %% construct is recognized only at the beginning of a
> line: try deleting the white space in front.

Thanks, that did the trick. I can now see BBDB anniversaries in my agenda.

Christopher Culver