* export to odt with LaTeX math formulae and tables
@ 2018-05-11 11:15 Joseph Vidal-Rosset
From: Joseph Vidal-Rosset @ 2018-05-11 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode list

Hello,

I would be  glad to get a  configuration for an easy export  from an org
file  to  an  odt file.  My  problem  is  that  this org  file  contains
mathematical  formulae   written  for  LaTeX  export   and  also  tables
(tabular).

I do not know well libreoffice.

Your help is welcome.

Best wishes,

--
Joseph

* Re: export to odt with LaTeX math formulae and tables
@ 2018-05-11 11:31 ` Joseph Vidal-Rosset
From: Joseph Vidal-Rosset @ 2018-05-11 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode list

Hello again, I read and have applied what it is explained here:

https://orgmode.org/manual/Working-with-LaTeX-math-snippets.html#FOOT136

It works rather well, but for some symbols it does not work : for example
for \(\bot\)  the code for falsity constant in  LaTeX, it does not work.

I imagine that I have not installed some library?

@ 2018-05-11 11:45 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2018-05-11 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Vidal-Rosset; +Cc: emacs-orgmode list

On Friday, 11 May 2018 at 13:15, Joseph Vidal-Rosset wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would be  glad to get a  configuration for an easy export  from an org
> file  to  an  odt file.  My  problem  is  that  this org  file  contains
> mathematical  formulae   written  for  LaTeX  export   and  also  tables
> (tabular).

have you tried?  tables work out of the box.  maths equations work
reasonably well if you use the mathml conversion.  On Debian, I had to

  sudo apt install latexml

and then use

in the org file.

Try and see what happens!

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50, Org release_9.1.11-620-ga548e4

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: export to odt with LaTeX math formulae and tables
@ 2018-05-11 12:09   ` Joseph Vidal-Rosset
From: Joseph Vidal-Rosset @ 2018-05-11 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode list

Le ven.  11 mai 2018  à 12:45:57 ,  Eric S Fraga  <esflists@gmail.com> a
envoyé ce message:
> On Friday, 11 May 2018 at 13:15, Joseph Vidal-Rosset wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would be  glad to get a  configuration for an easy export  from an org
>> file  to  an  odt file.  My  problem  is  that  this org  file  contains
>> mathematical  formulae   written  for  LaTeX  export   and  also  tables
>> (tabular).
>
> have you tried?  tables work out of the box.  maths equations work
> reasonably well if you use the mathml conversion.  On Debian, I had to
>
>   sudo apt install latexml
>
> and then use

> in the org file.
>
> Try and see what happens!

Thanks a lot Eric,  in my Debian I had not  installed latexml. It's done
now.

The export  works, but I meet  always the same strange  problem with the
falsity constant  \(\bot\) that  I need  absolutely: the  symbol appears
with \ begin{equation} ... \ end{equation} but not in lines... the latex
command for equation produces inverted interrogation marks... (Why an an
acedemic review request Word files? It should be forbidden.)

Best wishes,

--

@ 2018-05-11 12:29   ` Joseph Vidal-Rosset
From: Joseph Vidal-Rosset @ 2018-05-11 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode list

Hello Eric, hello the list,

Now it works with theses options in my org file.

#+LANGUAGE: fr

But the formulae are  png images that are less clean than  in a pdf file
produced from a .tex file...

Again, thanks Eric.
--

@ 2018-05-11 12:37     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-05-11 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Vidal-Rosset; +Cc: Eric S Fraga, emacs-orgmode list

Hello,

Joseph Vidal-Rosset <joseph.vidal.rosset@gmail.com> writes:

> Now it works with theses options in my org file.
>
> #+LANGUAGE: fr

This option is superseded by the last one.

This option is obsolete since Org 8.0.

This option supersedes "tex:t"

So basically, you are using

#+language: fr

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: export to odt with LaTeX math formulae and tables
@ 2018-05-11 12:46       ` Joseph Vidal-Rosset
From: Joseph Vidal-Rosset @ 2018-05-11 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Eric S Fraga, emacs-orgmode list

Merci Nicolas !

Your email was arrived at the good moment and was very helpful

@ 2018-05-11 13:16     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2018-05-11 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Vidal-Rosset; +Cc: emacs-orgmode list

On Friday, 11 May 2018 at 14:09, Joseph Vidal-Rosset wrote:
> The export  works, but I meet  always the same strange  problem with the
> falsity constant  \(\bot\) that  I need  absolutely: the  symbol appears
> with \ begin{equation} ... \ end{equation} but not in lines... the latex
> command for equation produces inverted interrogation marks...

Yes, it appears that mathml support for \bot is not quite
there.  Interestingly, it works if there is a symbol before and one
after so it's acting as if it is an operator.  E.g. \alpha\bot\beta
works fine.

You could also use \perp instead although it's slanted and quite ugly
(in my opinion).

> (Why an an acedemic review request Word files? It should be
> forbidden.)

Totally agree.  They'll be asking for papyrus next...
--

@ 2018-05-16 20:19 edgar
From: edgar @ 2018-05-16 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, 11 May 2018 14:09:33 +0200
> (Why an acedemic review request Word files? It should be forbidden.)
> Joseph

I agree! (in some countries, universities are partially
funded--influenced--by Micro$oft, that may explain).

On Fri, 11 May 2018 14:37:10 +0200
> Nicolas Goaziou:
>
> This option is obsolete since Org 8.0.

That option still shows up in org-info (Working with LaTeX math
snippets):
GNU Emacs 25.2.2 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.21) of
2017-09-22, modified by Debian
Org mode version 9.1.13 (9.1.13-elpa 20180507)
May be it's corrected in a newer Emacs...

Also, I hadn't seen this thread, sorry. Thus, I created this:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2018-05/msg00346.html

Hope it helps. You can potentially use it to get any other symbols. You
can also try with pandoc (using 2.0.5 here; there is a binary on
https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/releases/latest):

Export to ~LaTeX~ file first with ~C-c C-e l l~
#+BEGIN_SRC bash
   pandoc --csl=council-of-science-editors.csl \
   --bibliography=/path/to/myreferences.bib \
   -f latex+smart inputfile.tex \
   -t docx+smart -o outputname.docx
#+END_SRC

Good luck!

ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the NSA's hands!
15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas!
Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!

* Re: export to odt with LaTeX math formulae and tables
@ 2018-05-17 16:31 ` Joseph Vidal-Rosset
From: Joseph Vidal-Rosset @ 2018-05-17 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: edgar; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Many thanks Edgar,

I  did not  pay attention  to  the list  because  I had  to finish  this
paper. It is finished, now, but still not exported in odt format. I hope
that I  will succeed to do  it. Thanks to you  and to all for  your kind
help.

Best wishes,
--

@ 2018-05-18  8:35   ` Joseph Vidal-Rosset
From: Joseph Vidal-Rosset @ 2018-05-18  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: edgar; +Cc: Liste-emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hello Edgar, Nicolas, Eric, and everybody of the emacs-orgmode list,

I give news of my export tentatives from my .org file to odt , in a word:
it fails.
I suspect that the problem is my setup, but I am unable to be more precise
(if it was not the case, I could probably fix it).

Anyway, pandoc alone was useful and with

pandoc -f latex -t odt -o output.odt input.tex

or

pandoc my-document.tex -o my-document.docx

(I got help here:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/82634/how-to-convert-tex-into-odt
and here: https://jabranham.com/blog/2016/11/using-pandoc-export-to-word/ )

I have succeeded to get odt and docx files . But in these files:

   1. tables from tabular with multicolumn are not correctly exported,
   2. the bibliography is not exported
   3. figures of natural deduction proofs produced with proof.sty cannot be
   read, because only the latex code is given (I suppose that I need png
   images, but because my org export to odt fails, the export of all natural
   deductions proof schema also fails.).

 *Comment:* It is a terrible waste of time for a result that even if with a
lot of efforts the odt or docx export will finally succeed, the final
result will be far to be as nice as the pdf produced by the latex file.

Anyway, your help is still welcome.

Best wishes,

Jo.

@ 2018-05-18  9:48     ` edgar
From: edgar @ 2018-05-18  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Vidal-Rosset; +Cc: Liste-emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On 2018-05-18 08:35, Joseph Vidal-Rosset wrote:
> Hello Edgar, Nicolas, Eric, and everybody of the emacs-orgmode list,
>
> I give news of my export tentatives from my .org file to odt , in a
> word:
> it fails.
> I suspect that the problem is my setup, but I am unable to be more
> precise
> (if it was not the case, I could probably fix it).
>
> Anyway, pandoc alone was useful and with
>
> pandoc -f latex -t odt -o output.odt input.tex
>>

> or
>
> pandoc my-document.tex -o my-document.docx
>>

> (I got help here:
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/82634/how-to-convert-tex-into-odt
> and here:
> https://jabranham.com/blog/2016/11/using-pandoc-export-to-word/ )
>
> I have succeeded to get odt and docx files . But in these files:
>
>    1. tables from tabular with multicolumn are not correctly exported,
>    2. the bibliography is not exported
>    3. figures of natural deduction proofs produced with proof.sty
> cannot be
>    read, because only the latex code is given (I suppose that I need
> png
>    images, but because my org export to odt fails, the export of all
> natural
>    deductions proof schema also fails.).
>
>  *Comment:* It is a terrible waste of time for a result that even if
> with a
> lot of efforts the odt or docx export will finally succeed, the final
> result will be far to be as nice as the pdf produced by the latex file.
>
> Anyway, your help is still welcome.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Jo.

Dear Jo,

First of all, I don't want you to have the wrong impression: I am not an
Emacs nor Org guru. If I give you an advice, always, always take it with
caution.

Secondly, I am glad that you are having progress! :D .

Thirdly, I think that I can help you with point (2). Did you try with

On 2018-05-16 20:19, hidden@mail wrote:
> Export to ~LaTeX~ file first with ~C-c C-e l l~

>   pandoc --csl=council-of-science-editors.csl \
>   --bibliography=/path/to/myreferences.bib \
>   -f latex+smart inputfile.tex \
>   -t docx+smart -o outputname.docx

You will need
1. a CSL file to set a style to your references
(council-of-science-editors.csl in this example). You can get some from
here: https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles
2. a bib style (I use Biber; I don't know if that matters, just try).

This has worked for me in the past to produce a DOCX with references.

What I actually recommend is to get that DOCX and copy the references to
what Org mode exports as ODT
(https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2018-05/msg00346.html),
then save the ODT as DOCX in LibreOffice. The ODT produced by Org is
almost ready, and it carries the advantage of
1. tweaking an OTT (template) to your needs to set a specific format
(see the link above; you can try the same with --reference-doc in
pandoc, by the way).
2. being able to (partially use siunitx or other LaTeX commands with
LaTeXMLMath; although pandoc is working on getting siunitx as well--make
sure to get the latest version). If you see siunitx.sty.ltxml from
Authorea's github.com (see link above), you'll see that it may be
possible to tweak it to your needs for proof.sty.
3. produces tables (you may need to change the format; did I mention the
OTT?)

One disadvantage of this method is that you may need to replace the key
to the references to the format which you need (i.e. [authoryear] to
[1]), but you can use the Replace All function from LibreOffice (if
there are not many references). I would advise to keep a copy of the
list after you do the first Replace All, because it's going to be lost
the next time that you export.

I am sure that there is a good reason for which exporting with
references has not been implemented in the ODT export function in Org.
As I said, I am not a guru, and I am not going to complain to the
developers if I can't code it myself, but you may want to post a feature
request (may be I should too).

I have never used proof.sty, but I know that there is a way to ask Org
to load a set of packages when exporting. May be that helps (look for
the documentation of org-latex-default-packages-alist and
org-latex-packages-alist; C-h v org-latex-default-packages-alist)

Bonne chance! :) .

@ 2018-05-18 10:01       ` Joseph Vidal-Rosset
From: Joseph Vidal-Rosset @ 2018-05-18 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode list

Dear Edgar,

Thanks for your help on the export of bibliography for docx or odt. I am
going to persist in trying to succeed it.

About proof.sty, really there is not  the least problem from org-mode to
latex, everything  is smoothly  exported and the  final pdf  document is
really     nice     (with     the     really     pretty     smfart.class
[[http://smf4.emath.fr/Publications/Formats/]] that I advice.)

No,  my problem  is only  with the  export of  these proof  to odt,  and
Authorea fails  also (that is  the main reason  why I gave  up Authorea,
which seems  to me  being a  nice project, but  not complete  enough and
therefore unfortunately  useless for me). The  only reasonable solutions
seems to me the png export from a succeeding org export to an odt file.

Best wishes,

--

@ 2018-05-18 12:48         ` Joseph Vidal-Rosset
From: Joseph Vidal-Rosset @ 2018-05-18 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode list

Hello again,

I just got this message error:

OpenDocument export failed: Wrong type argument: listp, 67

What is the meaning of this message and how can I do?

Many thanks for your help,

Jo.

@ 2018-05-19  9:20 edgar
From: edgar @ 2018-05-19  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode list, Joseph Vidal-Rosset

> Message: 14
> Date: Fri, 18 May 2018 12:01:22 +0200
> From: Joseph Vidal-Rosset <joseph.vidal.rosset@gmail.com>
> To: emacs-orgmode list <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
> Subject: Re: [O] export to odt with LaTeX math formulae and tables
>
> Dear Edgar,
>
> Thanks for your help on the export of bibliography for docx or odt. I
> am
> going to persist in trying to succeed it.

One is glad to be of help :) ;) .

> About proof.sty, really there is not  the least problem from org-mode
> latex, everything  is smoothly  exported and the  final pdf  document
> is
> really     nice     (with     the     really     pretty
> smfart.class
> [[http://smf4.emath.fr/Publications/Formats/]] that I advice.)

I will try that. Thanks.

> No,  my problem  is only  with the  export of  these proof  to odt,

Oh, I know!

> and
> Authorea fails  also (that is  the main reason  why I gave  up
> Authorea,
> which seems  to me  being a  nice project, but  not complete  enough
> and
> therefore unfortunately  useless for me).

I'm sorry if I mislead you: the only thing that I recommended was the
LaTeXML style from them. I don't know what Authorea is, actually.

> The  only reasonable solutions
> seems to me the png export from a succeeding org export to an odt file.

This is by far the quickest solution, and if you don't care about having
others modify your equations in the ODT, go for it! I would even send a
compressed file with the Org and other required files (.bib, .png,
etc.).

I make no promises, but I will try to make a template for you that can
export tables and equations (on my machine)

> Best wishes,
>
> --
> Joseph

I wish you the best of luck on this :) .

@ 2018-05-19  9:43 edgar
From: edgar @ 2018-05-19  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Vidal-Rosset; +Cc: emacs-orgmode list

> Message: 16
> Date: Fri, 18 May 2018 14:48:56 +0200
> From: Joseph Vidal-Rosset <joseph.vidal.rosset@gmail.com>
> To: emacs-orgmode list <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
> Subject: Re: [O] export to odt with LaTeX math formulae and tables
>
> Hello again,
>
> I just got this message error:
>
> OpenDocument export failed: Wrong type argument: listp, 67
>>

> What is the meaning of this message and how can I do?
>
> Many thanks for your help,
>
> Jo.

I don't really know, Jo, but whenever I get something like that it means
that
1. there is something wrong with my .emacs, or
2. there is something wrong with my document (strange character, missing
bracket, mistyped #+OPTIONS line, etc.).

I would (and usually)
0. Open the *Messages* buffer to see if there is some useful information
there.
1. fire up a new emacs ::  ~emacs -Q~,
2. load package ::  M-: (require 'package),
3. initialize package ::  M-: (package-initialize),
4. load Org ::  M-: (require 'org)   (you may need a path, if you did
not install from elpa or similar).
5. take the document by chunks, export it piece by piece, and try to
find which part holds the bug.

@ 2018-05-19 13:32 ` Joseph Vidal-Rosset
From: Joseph Vidal-Rosset @ 2018-05-19 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: edgar; +Cc: emacs-orgmode list

Dear Edgar,

At the  moment, the results that  I get with  the odt export are  not so
bad. Bibliography  works and images  for proofs also. Therefore  I guess
that the problems that I have really to solve are minor.

We stay in touch and I will inform you.

Best wishes,

--
Jo.

* Re: export to odt with LaTeX math formulae and tables
@ 2018-05-19 15:52   ` Joseph Vidal-Rosset
From: Joseph Vidal-Rosset @ 2018-05-19 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode list

Edgar was right: the problems that I had with the odt export came from my
file "user.el" i.e. the file for my setup of preferences for scimax. With a
minimal user.el file containing the latex packages that I need , the export
is now almost perfect. Are still lacking the right numbering of equations
and references for these equations, and the bibliography is not pretty. But
the main work is done.

Best wishes,

Jo.

@ 2018-05-19 17:24     ` Joseph Vidal-Rosset
From: Joseph Vidal-Rosset @ 2018-05-19 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode list, John Kitchin, John Kitchin

Hello John, hello the list,

The results of my efforts to export an org file with equations, proofs and
so on to odt: imagemagick works, but the png images are ugly. References of
equations and bibliography do not work, because the png images do not
reproduce the org-ref references. I am afraid that by using another way of
exporting math. (Mathjax, Mathml...) I will not get the natural deductions
proofs that I get via proof.sty.  (The export to odt or docx seems to be a
real nightmare, and that is not very surprising, because LaTeX is the only
good solution...)

Best wishes,

Jo.

       [not found] <mailman.69.1526832017.3852.emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
@ 2018-05-20 19:01 ` edgar
From: edgar @ 2018-05-20 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Message: 2
> Date: Sat, 19 May 2018 19:24:12 +0200
> From: Joseph Vidal-Rosset <joseph.vidal.rosset@gmail.com>
> To: emacs-orgmode list <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>,	John Kitchin
> 	<jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu>, 	John Kitchin <johnrkitchin@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [O] export to odt with LaTeX math formulae and tables
>
> Hello John, hello the list,
>
> The results of my efforts to export an org file with equations, proofs
> and
> so on to odt: imagemagick works, but the png images are ugly.
> References of
> equations and bibliography do not work,

I have the same problem. So far, I can either get inter-text references
or external packages (depending on whether I use the export from Org or
Pandoc), but not both. I wonder if using an OTT would suffice to change
the size of all equations in the ODT (cannot test now; away from my
computer). If that is the case, there is an option to change the
configuration of imagemagick and dvipng when exporting from Org to ODT.
There, you can set the scale or resolution, I think. It makes the
pictures to look bigger, but if the OTT forces them to be smaller again,
I'm sure that they would look much better.

> because the png images do not
> reproduce the org-ref references.

I get the tags for the inter-text and bibliographic references coming
from the LaTeX document (originally produced from Org --> LaTeX) when
using Pandoc. I want to know: are you using Pandoc for this too?

Otherwise, I get nice inter-text references and can tweak the format if
I take the Org export + LaTeXMLMath + OTT (template for ODT) --> ODT,
but then I get no bibliograhpy. Is this the case for you too? If not,
can you tell me how you solved this? (that is why I wanted to know if
you are using Pandoc). Thanks!

> I am afraid that by using another way of
> exporting math. (Mathjax, Mathml...) I will not get the natural
> deductions
> proofs that I get via proof.sty.

Yes, I think that has been my experience with other packages. You may
want to get in touch with the people from LaTeXML to see if they can
support proof.sty. In any case, there seems to be no immediate solution.

> (The export to odt or docx seems to be a
> real nightmare, and that is not very surprising, because LaTeX is the
> only
> good solution...)

I agree on the nightmare! I made a bug (enhancement) report on
LibreOffice to see if they can help with this. May be it would help if
you add your "I want this too" :) . Also, consider that, when exporting
to ODT, it's most likely because you are working with someone who does
not care too much about the nice side of LaTeX. I would also advise you
to consider loosing part of your format in your document. Instead of
using \myformattingcommand{arg 1}{arg 2} which would produce a nice
\frac{arg 1}{arg 2} in LaTeX, just replace your text for 1/2. They don't
care!

> Best wishes,
>
> Jo.
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

This link leads nowhere.

Having said all of this, I would like to ask the Org team to consider
the next two improvements for the ODT export:
1. Support the \printbibliography[heading=none] LaTeX command (I am away
from my computer right now, and cannot tell if it works without
[heading=none]).
2. Support Org --> MathML with LaTeX packages (as compared to exporting
with ImageMagick, MathToWeb or LaTeXML).

Salut!

@ 2018-05-25 20:07       ` Joseph Vidal-Rosset
From: Joseph Vidal-Rosset @ 2018-05-25 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode list, John Kitchin, John Kitchin

Hello John, hello everybody,

This  is just  a reminder  for the problem  that remains  to solve  with
ox-word.el, as you requested to send it  to you, few hours ago. In fact,
on this page:

[[http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2017/04/15/A-new-org-mode-exporter-to-Word-for-scimax/]]
you said correctly:

#+BEGIN_QUOTE
The  references  are reasonably  formatted,  but  not compatible  with
Endnote, or other bibliography manager  software. There are still some
issues with Figure  numbering and cross-references, but it  is not too
bad. The  main benefit of this  seems to be that  one source generates
HTML and the Word document.
#+END_QUOTE

That is true.  Your code works smoothly to export  the bibliography in
docx. But  it fails to reproduce  the convenient system of  labels and
reference with numbering  translation in LaTeX: in  the docx document,
equations have no more numbers (neither letters) to identify them, and
labels  in  format [label-foo]  refer  therefore  to nothing.  (I  have
adopted a  solution in  making tables,  but it is  not a  valuable one
because it is only a way of solving this problem and this works poorly
only for my docx document, not for an export in LateX.)

Anyway, again, many thanks for scimax  and for this ox-word.el.  (As I
told  you, I  succeeded to  install pandoc-crossref  - only  in a  new
Debian sid for the  occasion on my computer, but I  did not succeed to
use it.)

 Best wishes,
--
Jo.