* Suggestions for Text-To-Speech (TTS) from Org sources?
@ 2023-09-09 18:05 Jens Lechtenboerger
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jens Lechtenboerger @ 2023-09-09 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear all,

does someone here produce audio via Text-To-Speech (TTS) from Org
sources?  I plan to do that in the context of emacs-reveal to
generate voice-over for reveal.js presentations, with open questions
[1] concerning my initial, experimental approach.

Currently, I like the default model of Coqui-AI TTS [2] and
Microsoft SpeechT5 [3] best.  Any suggestions for free and open TTS
implementations that produce even better results?  Other models of
Coqui-AI?  The solution should work without GPU support, which seems
to rule out Suno Bark [4].

The above models do not pronounce numbers/digits, and they fail to
pronounce most acronyms.  In a preprocessing step I could replace
those.  I use preprocessing anyways to get rid of Org markup that
might confuse the language models.  Anyone here who did that
already?  Maybe gruut [5] in conjunction with SSML [6] handling?

Any other suggestions?

Best wishes
Jens

[1] https://gitlab.com/oer/emacs-reveal/-/issues/20
[2] https://github.com/coqui-ai/TTS/
[3] https://huggingface.co/microsoft/speecht5_tts
[4] https://github.com/suno-ai/bark
[5] https://github.com/rhasspy/gruut
[6] https://www.w3.org/TR/speech-synthesis11/

* Re: Suggestions for Text-To-Speech (TTS) from Org sources?
@ 2023-09-09 21:20 ` briangpowell
From: briangpowell @ 2023-09-09 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've turned OrgMode files into audio desktops

It was pretty simple

Just find the code that reveals what an icon is when you hover over it &
pipe it to some text-to-speech engine & then on to usual routes

@ 2023-09-10 10:43 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-09-10 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens Lechtenboerger; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Jens Lechtenboerger <lechten@wi.uni-muenster.de> writes:

> does someone here produce audio via Text-To-Speech (TTS) from Org
> sources?  I plan to do that in the context of emacs-reveal to
> generate voice-over for reveal.js presentations, with open questions
> [1] concerning my initial, experimental approach.

Emacspeak is a mature Emacs solution for TTS. However, it aims blind
users, not presentations. Still,
http://tvraman.github.io/emacspeak/manual/Quick-Installation.html might
be a good starting point for TTS options.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Suggestions for Text-To-Speech (TTS) from Org sources?
@ 2023-09-10 14:35   ` Jens Lechtenboerger
From: Jens Lechtenboerger @ 2023-09-10 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: briangpowell; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2023-09-09, briangpowell wrote:

> I've turned OrgMode files into audio desktops
>
> It was pretty simple
>
> Just find the code that reveals what an icon is when you hover over it &
> pipe it to some text-to-speech engine & then on to usual routes

Thank you for the reply.  In my case (GNU/Linux), I guess that the
usual text-to-speech engine is espeak.  I find its speech quality to
be disappointing (much worse than the language models that I
mentioned earlier).  I am looking for (near-) human quality...

Best wishes
Jens

* Re: Suggestions for Text-To-Speech (TTS) from Org sources?
@ 2023-09-10 14:39   ` Jens Lechtenboerger
From: Jens Lechtenboerger @ 2023-09-10 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2023-09-10, Ihor Radchenko wrote:

> Jens Lechtenboerger <lechten@wi.uni-muenster.de> writes:
>
>> does someone here produce audio via Text-To-Speech (TTS) from Org
>> sources?  I plan to do that in the context of emacs-reveal to
>> generate voice-over for reveal.js presentations, with open questions
>> [1] concerning my initial, experimental approach.
>
> Emacspeak is a mature Emacs solution for TTS. However, it aims blind
> users, not presentations. Still,
> http://tvraman.github.io/emacspeak/manual/Quick-Installation.html might
> be a good starting point for TTS options.

Thank you for the suggestion.  With espeak this indeed pronounces
numbers and abbreviations but its audio quality it not good enough
for my purposes.  I am looking for (near-) human voices...

Best wishes
Jens

* Re: Suggestions for Text-To-Speech (TTS) from Org sources?
@ 2023-09-10 20:08     ` Christian Thäter
From: Christian Thäter @ 2023-09-10 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, 10 Sep 2023 16:39:26 +0200
Jens Lechtenboerger <lechten@wi.uni-muenster.de> wrote:

> On 2023-09-10, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
>
> > Jens Lechtenboerger <lechten@wi.uni-muenster.de> writes:
> >
> >> does someone here produce audio via Text-To-Speech (TTS) from Org
> >> sources?  I plan to do that in the context of emacs-reveal to
> >> generate voice-over for reveal.js presentations, with open
> >> questions [1] concerning my initial, experimental approach.
> >
> > Emacspeak is a mature Emacs solution for TTS. However, it aims blind
> > users, not presentations. Still,
> > http://tvraman.github.io/emacspeak/manual/Quick-Installation.html
> > might be a good starting point for TTS options.
>
> Thank you for the suggestion.  With espeak this indeed pronounces
> numbers and abbreviations but its audio quality it not good enough
> for my purposes.  I am looking for (near-) human voices...

using mbrola is probably as good as possible with free software:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MBROLA

still not perfect, but much better than the builtin voices of espeak or
festival (YYMV).

@ 2023-09-11  8:33       ` Jens Lechtenboerger
From: Jens Lechtenboerger @ 2023-09-11  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Thäter; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2023-09-10, Christian Thäter wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Sep 2023 16:39:26 +0200
> Jens Lechtenboerger <lechten@wi.uni-muenster.de> wrote:

>> > Emacspeak is a mature Emacs solution for TTS. However, it aims blind
>> > users, not presentations. Still,
>> > http://tvraman.github.io/emacspeak/manual/Quick-Installation.html
>> > might be a good starting point for TTS options.
>>
>> Thank you for the suggestion.  With espeak this indeed pronounces
>> numbers and abbreviations but its audio quality it not good enough
>> for my purposes.  I am looking for (near-) human voices...
>
> using mbrola is probably as good as possible with free software:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MBROLA
>
> still not perfect, but much better than the builtin voices of espeak or
> festival (YYMV).

This sounds promising.  I’ll check it out.

Many thanks
Jens

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: Suggestions for Text-To-Speech (TTS) from Org sources?
@ 2023-09-11  9:14       ` briangpowell
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: briangpowell @ 2023-09-11  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Thäter; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

* eSpeak seems to focus on small footprints & a "format synthesis" method

* Suggest using Festival with MBrola:

https://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival/mbrola.html

https://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival/

and/or just install FestivalLite:

apt-get install -f -y --force-yes flite

* Note EmacSpeak {mentioned in another email} is written by OrgMode user &
programmer TV Raman--not sure EmacSpeak will help you at all; but it might
be interesting for you

** Klaus Knopper distributes some very interesting free software that
includes an audio-desktop called ADRIANE that maybe you can look at--I'd
love to hear what you find out if you do:

https://www.knopper.net/knoppix-adriane/index-en.html

** Knopper invented the "run Linux entirely from a cdrom" craze--which
still is very useful in many ways--suggest you give Knoppix & Adriane a look

@ 2023-09-11 12:06         ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2023-09-11 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: briangpowell, Christian Thäter; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

fenrir-screenreader is also available.
https://nashcentral.duckdns.org/projects/Jenux
uses fenrir by default.
Klaus Knopper's public key I haven't been able to find and none of his
email addresses seem to be working any longer either for the ones I found.
You have a chance of getting a good version of knoppix if you download
with a good bittorrent client and make sure your encryption required is
turned on and make sure of integrity checks.

--
Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com>
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo.

@ 2023-09-11 12:07         ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2023-09-11 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: briangpowell, Christian Thäter; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

espeak-ng is a fork of espeak and can use speechdispatcher.

--

@ 2023-09-11 12:27           ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2023-09-11 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: briangpowell, Christian Thäter, emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Sep 11, 2023 at 08:06:34AM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> fenrir-screenreader is also available.
> https://nashcentral.duckdns.org/projects/Jenux
> uses fenrir by default.
> Klaus Knopper's public key I haven't been able to find and none of his
> email addresses seem to be working any longer either for the ones I found.

The knoppix signing keys seem to be around here:

  http://ftp.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ

> You have a chance of getting a good version of knoppix if you download
> with a good bittorrent client and make sure your encryption required is
> turned on and make sure of integrity checks.

Look here:

  http://knoppix.net/

...and consider buying a CD (yes, that's still a thing ;-) or a stick
to support development.

Cheers

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Suggestions for Text-To-Speech (TTS) from Org sources?
@ 2023-09-11 12:31         ` Jens Lechtenboerger
From: Jens Lechtenboerger @ 2023-09-11 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: briangpowell; +Cc: Christian Thäter, emacs-orgmode

Thank you for the additional pointers!  I still need to check out
promising combinations of those approaches, also options for MBROLA
(which is not free, but applies a custom AGPL-3.0-but-not-be-sold
license to the voices).  ADRIANE is certainly fascinating.

Best wishes
Jens

On 2023-09-11, briangpowell wrote:

> * eSpeak seems to focus on small footprints & a "format synthesis" method
>
> * Suggest using Festival with MBrola:
>
> https://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival/mbrola.html
>
> https://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival/
>
> and/or just install FestivalLite:
>
> apt-get install -f -y --force-yes flite
>
> * Note EmacSpeak {mentioned in another email} is written by OrgMode user &
> programmer TV Raman--not sure EmacSpeak will help you at all; but it might
> be interesting for you
>
> ** Klaus Knopper distributes some very interesting free software that
> includes an audio-desktop called ADRIANE that maybe you can look at--I'd
> love to hear what you find out if you do:
>
> https://www.knopper.net/knoppix-adriane/index-en.html
>
> ** Knopper invented the "run Linux entirely from a cdrom" craze--which
> still is very useful in many ways--suggest you give Knoppix & Adriane a look
>
> On Mon, Sep 11, 2023 at 4:02 AM Christian Thäter <ct@pipapo.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 10 Sep 2023 16:39:26 +0200
>> Jens Lechtenboerger <lechten@wi.uni-muenster.de> wrote:

>> > Thank you for the suggestion.  With espeak this indeed pronounces
>> > numbers and abbreviations but its audio quality it not good enough
>> > for my purposes.  I am looking for (near-) human voices...
>>
>> using mbrola is probably as good as possible with free software:
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MBROLA
>>
>> still not perfect, but much better than the builtin voices of espeak or
>> festival (YYMV).
>>

>> > Best wishes
>> > Jens

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: Suggestions for Text-To-Speech (TTS) from Org sources?
@ 2023-09-11 13:52             ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2023-09-11 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomas; +Cc: briangpowell, Christian Thäter, emacs-orgmode

Why does this happen?

The gpg command given in the faq does not return what the faq claims will
be returned.
Look for the public key of Klaus Knopper:
bash: Look: command not found
bash-5.1$  gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --search-keys "Klaus
Knopper"
gpg: error searching keyserver: Server indicated a failure
gpg: keyserver search failed: Server indicated a failure
bash-5.1$
bash-5.1$

--

@ 2023-09-11 14:48             ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2023-09-11 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomas; +Cc: briangpowell, Christian Thäter, emacs-orgmode

fenrir-screenreader is installable with pip though you may need some
support getting it set up and configured.

-- Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com> "There are four boxes to be used in
defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that

@ 2023-09-11 16:30               ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2023-09-11 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: briangpowell, Christian Thäter, emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Sep 11, 2023 at 09:52:30AM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> Why does this happen?
>
> The gpg command given in the faq does not return what the faq claims will
> be returned.
> Look for the public key of Klaus Knopper:
> bash: Look: command not found
> bash-5.1$  gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --search-keys "Klaus
> Knopper"

Hm. Keyservers seem to be a dying species these days. Try

  --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com/

Cheers

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Suggestions for Text-To-Speech (TTS) from Org sources?
@ 2023-09-11 17:21                 ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2023-09-11 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomas; +Cc: briangpowell, Christian Thäter, emacs-orgmode

Thanks much, that one worked.

@ 2023-09-28 13:11 ` Jens Lechtenboerger
From: Jens Lechtenboerger @ 2023-09-28 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear all,

some time ago I asked for suggestions concerning Text-To-Speech
(TTS) from Org sources.  Thank you to everyone who provided
suggestions!  In case you are interested, you can listen to sample
results at [1].

Briefly, Emacspeak, espeak-ng, and festival are not good enough for
my purposes.  Maybe I'm missing relevant backend options.  IMHO,
Coqui-AI TTS [2] and Microsoft SpeechT5 [3] are far superior.

Best wishes
Jens

[1] https://gitlab.com/oer/emacs-reveal/-/wikis/Sample-TTS-results

@ 2023-09-28 14:16   ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2023-09-28 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens Lechtenboerger, emacs-orgmode

espeak-ng likes to have speechdispatcher on a system and festival likes to
have language-specific voices on it to use.
fenrir which you didn't mention runs in user land and has no kernel
dependencies.

@ 2023-09-29  7:56     ` Jens Lechtenboerger
From: Jens Lechtenboerger @ 2023-09-29  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2023-09-28, Jude DaShiell wrote:

> espeak-ng likes to have speechdispatcher on a system

Does this improve the quality of the generated speech?

> and festival likes to have language-specific voices on it to use.

Indeed.  Which one(s) do you recommend?  I tried
voice_cmu_us_slt_arctic_hts and the mbrola us voices.

> fenrir which you didn't mention runs in user land and has no kernel
> dependencies.

I briefly tried that but failed.  Also, I was under the impression
that fenrir does produce speech by itself but relies on some TTS
implementation like espeak.  Is that wrong?

Best wishes
Jens