* Org-mode and Taskjuggler
       [not found]           ` <51B5F967.1040905@dayspringpublisher.com>
@ 2013-06-10 16:09             ` Louis Turk
From: Louis Turk @ 2013-06-10 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

 Hi Christian,

I'm very interested in your work to get Org-mode to export to
Taskjuggler version 3 --- very exciting! Being able to export to tj3
from org-mode would be extremely helpful to me. However, I'm having
trouble getting it to work. I suspect that the documentation I've been
reading is too old --- for version 2 of Taskjuggler---, and I have
version 3 installed.

Would you please send me:

 1. The related code in your .emacs file.
 2. A sample full-featured org-mode file that compiles successfully to tj3.
 3. Any up-to-date documentation that is available.
 4. Anything other information needed to get it to work.

 Thank you in advance for your help. And thanks for all your work
already done on this project.

Louis

* Re: Org-mode and Taskjuggler
       [not found]           ` <51B5F967.1040905@dayspringpublisher.com>
@ 2013-06-11  8:46             ` Christian Egli
From: Christian Egli @ 2013-06-11  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Louis Turk; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Louis

Louis Turk <lou@dayspringpublisher.com> writes:

> I'm very interested in your work to get Org-mode to export to
> Taskjuggler version 3 --- very exciting! Being able to export to tj3
> from org-mode would be extremely helpful to me.

Cool.

> However, I'm having trouble getting it to work. I suspect that the
> documentation I've been reading is too old --- for version 2 of
> Taskjuggler---, and I have version 3 installed.

Yes, the documentation should be updated. John Hendy promised to do so a
while ago :-) (hint, hint).

What are the problems you are encountering? It should work out of the
box. Once you have an org file as explained on the worg page you just
invoke the exporter with C-c C-e J o for example and you should see the
schedule in a browser.

> Would you please send me:
>
> 1 The related code in your .emacs file.

There is nothing special in my .emacs file. You need to include contrib
to your load path (add-to-list 'load-path "~/src/org-mode/contrib/lisp")
and you need to enable the taskjuggler exporter (M-x customize
org-export-backends).

> 2 A sample full-featured org-mode file that compiles successfully to
>   tj3.

The one on from the taskjuggler tutorial on the worg page should work.

> 3 Any up-to-date documentation that is available.

The best ATM is the tutorial on worg and the comments in the code.

> 4 Anything other information needed to get it to work.

If there is any other info needed then I'd say it is the official
TaskJuggler documentation.

> Thank you in advance for your help. And thanks for all your work
> already done on this project.

My pleasure.

HTH
Christian

--
Christian Egli

-----
Tag der offenen Tuer
Die SBS laedt Sie herzlich ein: 29. Juni 2013 von 9 bis 16 Uhr.
Mehr Informationen erhalten Sie unter http://www.sbs.ch/offenetuer

* Re: Org-mode and Taskjuggler
@ 2013-06-11 12:20               ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2013-06-11 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Egli; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jun 11, 2013 3:46 AM, "Christian Egli" <christian.egli@sbs.ch> wrote:

> Hi Louis
>
> Louis Turk <lou@dayspringpublisher.com> writes:
>
> > I'm very interested in your work to get Org-mode to export to
> > Taskjuggler version 3 --- very exciting! Being able to export to tj3
> > from org-mode would be extremely helpful to me.
>
> Cool.
>
> > However, I'm having trouble getting it to work. I suspect that the
> > documentation I've been reading is too old --- for version 2 of
> > Taskjuggler---, and I have version 3 installed.
>
> Yes, the documentation should be updated. John Hendy promised to do so a
> while ago :-) (hint, hint).

Don't worry... I'm listening despite not being very active on the list
lately. Work is crazy, but I'm actually using tj3, so that will come in
handy when I get back to the documentation!

In the meantime, yes, more specific details about issues would let us help.

Sorry for the delay!

John

@ 2013-06-13  4:38               ` Louis Turk
From: Louis Turk @ 2013-06-13  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Christian and others that are helping me,

Many thanks!  I've run into more problems, but I'm encouraged that with
your help I'll soon have Taskjuggler enabled.

On 06/11/2013 04:46 PM, Christian Egli wrote:
> Hi Louis
>
> Louis Turk <lou@dayspringpublisher.com> writes:
>
>> I'm very interested in your work to get Org-mode to export to
>> Taskjuggler version 3 --- very exciting! Being able to export to tj3
>> from org-mode would be extremely helpful to me.
> Cool.
>
>> However, I'm having trouble getting it to work. I suspect that the
>> documentation I've been reading is too old --- for version 2 of
>> Taskjuggler---, and I have version 3 installed.
> Yes, the documentation should be updated. John Hendy promised to do so a
> while ago :-) (hint, hint).
>
> What are the problems you are encountering? It should work out of the
> box. Once you have an org file as explained on the worg page you just
> invoke the exporter with C-c C-e J o for example and you should see the
> schedule in a browser.
>
>> Would you please send me:
>>
>> 1 The related code in your .emacs file.
> There is nothing special in my .emacs file. You need to include contrib
> to your load path (add-to-list 'load-path "~/src/org-mode/contrib/lisp")
I did this.
> and you need to enable the taskjuggler exporter (M-x customize
> org-export-backends).

"M-x customize org-export-backends" did not work for me. If I type "M-x customize-group" then type "org" I get into org related stuff, but nothing about export-backends. And in trying to figure this out I somehow disabled C-c C-e, so now I can't export to anything. I'm hoping I haven't disable a whole lot of other commands also. How can I fix this?

I'm using Emacs 23.3 which is the latest version packaged by Mint Linux. Do I need to upgrade to version 24.1?

>> 2 A sample full-featured org-mode file that compiles successfully to
>>   tj3.
> The one on from the taskjuggler tutorial on the worg page should work.
I am (and will be) using that file until I get everything working.

>> 3 Any up-to-date documentation that is available.
> The best ATM is the tutorial on worg and the comments in the code.
>
>> 4 Anything other information needed to get it to work.
> If there is any other info needed then I'd say it is the official
> TaskJuggler documentation.
>
>> Thank you in advance for your help. And thanks for all your work
>> already done on this project.
> My pleasure.
>
> HTH
> Christian
Thanks again.

Louis

* Re: Org-mode and Taskjuggler
@ 2013-06-13  5:21                 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-06-13  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Louis Turk <lou@dayspringpublisher.com> writes:

> "M-x customize org-export-backends" did not work for me. If I type
> "M-x customize-group" then type "org" I get into org related stuff,
> but nothing about export-backends. And in trying to figure this out I
> somehow disabled C-c C-e, so now I can't export to anything. I'm
> hoping I haven't disable a whole lot of other commands also. How can I
> fix this?

Restarting emacs will probably restore C-c C-e.

What version of org-mode are you using? Do C-u M-x org-version RET to
find out. org-export-backends is new with 8.x, so if you are not running
v8.x, org-export-backends is not going to be present.

If you *are* running v8.x, do C-h v org-export-backends RET
and then click the customize link towards the bottom of the help text.
That will take you directly to the place where you can customize
the variable.

> I'm using Emacs 23.3 which is the latest version packaged by Mint
> Linux. Do I need to upgrade to version 24.1?

As mentioned above, the more interesting question is what version of
org you are running.

--
Nick

* Re: Org-mode and Taskjuggler
@ 2013-06-13 13:06                 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2013-06-13 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Louis Turk; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 11:38 PM, Louis Turk <lou@dayspringpublisher.com> wrote:
> Hi Christian and others that are helping me,
>
> Many thanks!  I've run into more problems, but I'm encouraged that with
> your help I'll soon have Taskjuggler enabled.
>
> On 06/11/2013 04:46 PM, Christian Egli wrote:
>> Hi Louis
>>
>> Louis Turk <lou@dayspringpublisher.com> writes:
>>
>>> I'm very interested in your work to get Org-mode to export to
>>> Taskjuggler version 3 --- very exciting! Being able to export to tj3
>>> from org-mode would be extremely helpful to me.
>> Cool.
>>
>>> However, I'm having trouble getting it to work. I suspect that the
>>> documentation I've been reading is too old --- for version 2 of
>>> Taskjuggler---, and I have version 3 installed.
>> Yes, the documentation should be updated. John Hendy promised to do so a
>> while ago :-) (hint, hint).
>>
>> What are the problems you are encountering? It should work out of the
>> box. Once you have an org file as explained on the worg page you just
>> invoke the exporter with C-c C-e J o for example and you should see the
>> schedule in a browser.
>>
>>> Would you please send me:
>>>
>>> 1 The related code in your .emacs file.
>> There is nothing special in my .emacs file. You need to include contrib
>> to your load path (add-to-list 'load-path "~/src/org-mode/contrib/lisp")
> I did this.
>> and you need to enable the taskjuggler exporter (M-x customize
>> org-export-backends).
>
> "M-x customize org-export-backends" did not work for me. If I type "M-x customize-group" then type "org" I get into org related stuff, but nothing about export-backends. And in trying to figure this out I somehow disabled C-c C-e, so now I can't export to anything. I'm hoping I haven't disable a whole lot of other commands also. How can I fix this?

I'd really re-read through the upgrade guide:
- http://orgmode.org/worg/org-8.0.html#sec-6

The exporters start with ox-*.el now, not org-*, which may be why
you're not finding them. Also, if you're like me (and your comments
look like you are), you may enjoy using the second method to load
backends so that you have the variables accessible for
help/customization *prior* to exporting with the given backend the
first time.

This is sort of mentioned at the link above, covered in Section 3 of
Nicolas' original announcement:
- http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/65574

I also walked through it with examples of impact on another post:
- http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/71874)

It's also discussed on my blog; see the little section toward the end
called "Note on .emacs settings":
- http://jwhendy.blogspot.com/2013/03/migrating-to-new-org-mode-exporter-org.html

While the documentation is still in rough shape (sorry about that),
the tj3 page should at least get you to the point where you can C-c
C-e J for taskjuggler export:
- http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-taskjuggler3.html

Almost everything from the old documentation regarding the Org file
structure is still applicable. The only thing that's really changed is
there's no gui in tj3 and the report format changed.

Keep the questions coming and good luck!

I'll try to get some further setup instructions up as well as porting
Taskjuggler's tutorial file and default report over to the tj3 page
within the next week or so.

John

> I'm using Emacs 23.3 which is the latest version packaged by Mint Linux. Do I need to upgrade to version 24.1?
>

>>> 2 A sample full-featured org-mode file that compiles successfully to
>>>   tj3.
>> The one on from the taskjuggler tutorial on the worg page should work.
> I am (and will be) using that file until I get everything working.
>>
>>> 3 Any up-to-date documentation that is available.
>> The best ATM is the tutorial on worg and the comments in the code.
>>
>>> 4 Anything other information needed to get it to work.
>> If there is any other info needed then I'd say it is the official
>> TaskJuggler documentation.
>>
>>> Thank you in advance for your help. And thanks for all your work
>>> already done on this project.
>> My pleasure.
>>
>> HTH
>> Christian
> Thanks again.
>
> Louis

* Re: Org-mode and Taskjuggler
@ 2013-06-13 15:06                   ` Christian Egli
From: Christian Egli @ 2013-06-13 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> I'll try to get some further setup instructions up as well as porting
> Taskjuggler's tutorial file and default report over to the tj3 page
> within the next week or so.

Man, you're my hero. I thought I'd have to do this myself :-)

Thanks
Christian

--
Christian Egli

* Re: Org-mode and Taskjuggler
@ 2013-06-14 20:21                   ` Louis Turk
From: Louis Turk @ 2013-06-14 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Nick,

On 06/13/2013 01:21 PM, Nick Dokos wrote:
> If you *are* running v8.x, do C-h v org-export-backends RET
> and then click the customize link towards the bottom of the help text.
> That will take you directly to the place where you can customize
> the variable.
This does take me to the place, and even allows me to set the variable,
but it doesn't work. And it specifically says it must be set with M-x
customize.
But I've not bee able to find it so far. Or you can run some code, but I
don't know how yet.

I reinstalled org-mode from git, so I using version 8 now.

Louis

* Re: Org-mode and Taskjuggler
@ 2013-06-14 20:31                     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-06-14 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Louis Turk <lou@dayspringpublisher.com> writes:

> Hi Nick,
>
> On 06/13/2013 01:21 PM, Nick Dokos wrote:
>
>     If you *are* running v8.x, do C-h v org-export-backends RET
>     and then click the customize link towards the bottom of the help text.
>     That will take you directly to the place where you can customize
>     the variable.
>
> This does take me to the place, and even allows me to set the
> variable, but it doesn't work. And it specifically says it must be set
> with M-x customize.  But I've not bee able to find it so far. Or you
> can run some code, but I don't know how yet.

What doesn't work? Please be more explicit.

There is a little triangle (or something) on the LHS of the Org Export
Backends: line - click that and you'll get a list of check boxes? Can
you see that? Did you check the box for Taskjuggler export? Did you
click "Apply" or "Apply and Save" afterwards?

> I reinstalled org-mode from git, so I using version 8 now.

OK.

--
Nick

* Re: Org-mode and Taskjuggler
@ 2013-06-14 21:29                   ` Louis Turk
From: Louis Turk @ 2013-06-14 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 06/13/2013 09:06 PM, John Hendy wrote:
> [...]
> - http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/71874)
>
> It's also discussed on my blog; see the little section toward the end
> called "Note on .emacs settings":
> - http://jwhendy.blogspot.com/2013/03/migrating-to-new-org-mode-exporter-org.html
>
> While the documentation is still in rough shape (sorry about that),
> the tj3 page should at least get you to the point where you can C-c
> C-e J for taskjuggler export:
> - http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-taskjuggler3.html
>
> Almost everything from the old documentation regarding the Org file
> structure is still applicable. The only thing that's really changed is
> there's no gui in tj3 and the report format changed.
>
> Keep the questions coming and good luck!
>
> I'll try to get some further setup instructions up as well as porting
> Taskjuggler's tutorial file and default report over to the tj3 page

I apologize and thank you! Somehow I totally missed the links in this
email the first time I read it. I'm up and running now.

Thanks again to you all for you great work!

Louis

>> I'm using Emacs 23.3 which is the latest version packaged by Mint Linux. Do I need to upgrade to version 24.1?

>>> The one on from the taskjuggler tutorial on the worg page should work.
>> I am (and will be) using that file until I get everything working.
>>> The best ATM is the tutorial on worg and the comments in the code.

>>> If there is any other info needed then I'd say it is the official
>>> TaskJuggler documentation.

>>> My pleasure.
>>>
>>> HTH
>>> Christian
>> Thanks again.
>>
>> Louis

* Re: Org-mode and Taskjuggler
@ 2013-07-14  1:13 John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2013-07-14  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Just wanted to post and update that I finally put some more work into
the Taskjuggler (tj3) documentation on Worg. Still haven't migrated
over the export file, but added more about the available settings,
pointed to some helpful tj3 documentation, and mapping tj3 syntax to
Org property syntax.

I was planning to use a simple home renovation project (which I am
undergoing, hence my massive delays in contributing) as an example to
walkthrough basic steps and task attributes.

I can still create a tj3 compatible version of the official
Taskjuggler tutorial in Org-mode format (or probably just modify the
TJ v2.4.3 one that's used at the other Taskjuggler worg tutorial) as a
more full capability example.

Lastly, unless the default report definition is done, I'll include a
reports.tji file with the default Taskjuggler report definition from
their tutorial example as well.

Feedback is welcome based on how the above sounds.

- http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/taskjuggler/ox-taskjuggler.html

I noticed that this isn't seeming to be indexed by google. I moved it
from the following location probably 2-3 months ago, but when I search
"orgmode taskjuggler tj3," only the previous location comes up as a
search results:

- http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-taskjuggler3.html

Is the dir structure too deep to get indexed?

John

* Re: Org-mode and Taskjuggler
@ 2013-07-14  2:49 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-07-14  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> Just wanted to post and update that I finally put some more work into
> the Taskjuggler (tj3) documentation on Worg. Still haven't migrated
> over the export file, but added more about the available settings,
> pointed to some helpful tj3 documentation, and mapping tj3 syntax to
> Org property syntax.
>
> I was planning to use a simple home renovation project (which I am
> undergoing, hence my massive delays in contributing) as an example to
> walkthrough basic steps and task attributes.
>
> I can still create a tj3 compatible version of the official
> Taskjuggler tutorial in Org-mode format (or probably just modify the
> TJ v2.4.3 one that's used at the other Taskjuggler worg tutorial) as a
> more full capability example.
>
> Lastly, unless the default report definition is done, I'll include a
> reports.tji file with the default Taskjuggler report definition from
> their tutorial example as well.
>
> Feedback is welcome based on how the above sounds.

Sounds good to me. The org example blocks were coming out funny (at
least on the chromium browser) so I added commas in front of the
"headlines" (I also made them org src blocks, but I'm not sure that's
the right thing to do). In any case, they look better to me, but can you
take a look and make sure that I didn't screw anything up? Also the footnote
seems to be obsolete, but I didn't change it.

--
Nick