* Feature Request
@ 2006-09-25 23:58 Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2006-09-25 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've gotten in a habit of storing my todo's in the following format,
and I'm curious if there's a way to automate this...

* Daily
** 2006-09
*** 2006-09-25
**** TODO Item One

I don't always have an item for each day, its sparsely populated, but
I'd like to automate making the first few headings.

Any suggestions? Even a macro? ;]

* Re: Feature Request
@ 2006-09-26 12:37 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-09-26 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell Adams; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sep 26, 2006, at 1:58, Russell Adams wrote:

> I've gotten in a habit of storing my todo's in the following format,
> and I'm curious if there's a way to automate this...
>
> * Daily
> ** 2006-09
> *** 2006-09-25
> **** TODO Item One
>
> I don't always have an item for each day, its sparsely populated, but
> I'd like to automate making the first few headings.
>
> Any suggestions? Even a macro? ;]

The cl macro "loop" is your friend....

(defun my-date-tree (y1 y2)
   (interactive "nFirst year: \nnLast year: ")
   (require 'calendar)
   (loop for y from y1 to y2 do
     (message "Doing year %d..." y)
     (insert "* " (format "%4d" y) "\n")
     (loop for m from 1 to 12 do
       (insert "** " (format "%4d-%02d" y m) "\n")
       (loop for d from 1 to 31 do
         (when (= m (car
		    (calendar-gregorian-from-absolute
		     (calendar-absolute-from-gregorian
		      (list m d y)))))
           (insert "*** " (format "%4d-%02d-%02d" y m d) "\n"))))))

Hope this helps

- Carsten

* Re: Feature Request
@ 2006-09-27 15:09   ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2006-09-27 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

The way I'm reading that macro, it'll prompt me for a date, etc. That
would be useful for creating a range of dates in a tree if I needed to
define a time period.

I guess I didn't explain myself clearly. I wanted to generate those
dated headings under the "Daily" heading for the current date
only. Just a shortcut so I can hit a single key to add todo items for
today, and have them added to my chronological "Daily" tree.

I've just found that I'm managing TODO and agenda scheduled items
well, but I didn't have a good way to handle all the little
miscellaneous items that pop up. No reason to spend time filing them
elsewhere, just a date would suffice. It also helps keep the tree
sparse when searching.

Russell

On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 02:37:27PM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Sep 26, 2006, at 1:58, Russell Adams wrote:
>
> >I've gotten in a habit of storing my todo's in the following format,
> >and I'm curious if there's a way to automate this...
> >
> >* Daily
> >** 2006-09
> >*** 2006-09-25
> >**** TODO Item One
> >
> >I don't always have an item for each day, its sparsely populated, but
> >I'd like to automate making the first few headings.
> >
> >Any suggestions? Even a macro? ;]
>
> The cl macro "loop" is your friend....
>
> (defun my-date-tree (y1 y2)
>   (interactive "nFirst year: \nnLast year: ")
>   (require 'calendar)
>   (loop for y from y1 to y2 do
>     (message "Doing year %d..." y)
>     (insert "* " (format "%4d" y) "\n")
>     (loop for m from 1 to 12 do
>       (insert "** " (format "%4d-%02d" y m) "\n")
>       (loop for d from 1 to 31 do
>         (when (= m (car
> 		    (calendar-gregorian-from-absolute
> 		     (calendar-absolute-from-gregorian
> 		      (list m d y)))))
>           (insert "*** " (format "%4d-%02d-%02d" y m d) "\n"))))))
>
> Hope this helps
>
> - Carsten

* Re: Feature Request
@ 2007-02-08 16:05     ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2007-02-08 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I started tinkering, this being my first macro.

I can't say its behaving as I expected.

(defun my-daily-insertion
  (interactive)
  (beginning-of-buffer)
  (re-search-forward "DAILY-INSERTION-POINT")
  (forward-line -1)
  (insert "*** " (format-time-string "%Y%m%d" (current-time)) )
)

I'd welcome input.

Russell

* Re: Feature Request
@ 2007-02-08 16:46       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-02-08 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell Adams; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Feb 8, 2007, at 17:05, Russell Adams wrote:

> I started tinkering, this being my first macro.

Looks very good already.

> I can't say its behaving as I expected.
>
> (defun my-daily-insertion

Every funtion needs an argument list, even if it is the empty one:

(defun my-daily-insertion ()

>   (interactive)
>   (beginning-of-buffer)

Correct, but better use  (goto-char (point-min)), has fewer side
effects.

>   (re-search-forward "DAILY-INSERTION-POINT")
>   (forward-line -1)
>   (insert "*** " (format-time-string "%Y%m%d" (current-time)) )
> )

Looks all fine to me.

- Carsten

> I'd welcome input.
>
> Russell
>
> On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 10:09:21AM -0500, Russell Adams wrote:
>> The way I'm reading that macro, it'll prompt me for a date, etc. That
>> would be useful for creating a range of dates in a tree if I needed to
>> define a time period.
>>
>> I guess I didn't explain myself clearly. I wanted to generate those
>> dated headings under the "Daily" heading for the current date
>> only. Just a shortcut so I can hit a single key to add todo items for
>> today, and have them added to my chronological "Daily" tree.
>>
>> I've just found that I'm managing TODO and agenda scheduled items
>> well, but I didn't have a good way to handle all the little
>> miscellaneous items that pop up. No reason to spend time filing them
>> elsewhere, just a date would suffice. It also helps keep the tree
>> sparse when searching.
>>
>> Russell

>>> The cl macro "loop" is your friend....
>>>
>>> (defun my-date-tree (y1 y2)
>>>   (interactive "nFirst year: \nnLast year: ")
>>>   (require 'calendar)
>>>   (loop for y from y1 to y2 do
>>>     (message "Doing year %d..." y)
>>>     (insert "* " (format "%4d" y) "\n")
>>>     (loop for m from 1 to 12 do
>>>       (insert "** " (format "%4d-%02d" y m) "\n")
>>>       (loop for d from 1 to 31 do
>>>         (when (= m (car
>>> 		    (calendar-gregorian-from-absolute
>>> 		     (calendar-absolute-from-gregorian
>>> 		      (list m d y)))))
>>>           (insert "*** " (format "%4d-%02d-%02d" y m d) "\n"))))))
>>>
>>> Hope this helps
>>>
>>> - Carsten

>> Russell Adams                            RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.com
>>
>> PGP Key ID:     0x1160DCB3           http://www.adamsinfoserv.com/
>>
>> Fingerprint:    1723 D8CA 4280 1EC9 557F  66E8 1154 E018 1160 DCB3

> Russell Adams                            RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.com
>
> PGP Key ID:     0x1160DCB3           http://www.adamsinfoserv.com/
>
> Fingerprint:    1723 D8CA 4280 1EC9 557F  66E8 1154 E018 1160 DCB3

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

* feature request
@ 2007-11-18 18:13 Raimund Kohl-Füchsle
From: Raimund Kohl-Füchsle @ 2007-11-18 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi fellows,

I have a question/feature request.  Often tables are a very easy and
apropriate way to structure information that are fluent.  I work at the
following table (e.g.):

| Hotel | Manager | price | requested | booked |
| blah   | Mayer    | 250   |                 |              |
| bluh   | Schulze   | 260   |                |               |

Now here comes what would be neat: The tables lists all Hotels who offer
seminar rooms, which person is banquett manager, the price for the
room.  Since I often book rooms for seminars (or invite people to
workshops etc.) managing bookings/invitations via tables is more
effective than doing it with TODO-items (more so because the same table
is used over and over again).  What would help greatly would be a way to
manage fields the same way as with TODO items: A key-string would place
a "NO" "RUNNING" "ANSWERED" button right there ... same way as with
TODO-items.

Is this already possible?  Haven't found it in the manual.

Greetings, ray

* Re: feature request
@ 2007-11-19  3:14 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-11-19  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Raimund Kohl-Füchsle <Raimund.Kohl@nabuli.de> writes:

> What would help greatly would be a way to manage fields the same way
> as with TODO items: A key-string would place a "NO" "RUNNING"
> "ANSWERED" button right there ... same way as with TODO-items.

I think what you need is colum view for properties, rather than tables.

Each property is like a field, and you switch between values easily.
You can select the property you want to display in the column view.
Each headline will be displayed as a table row in column view.
And finally, you can capture this column view with C-c C-x r.

See details in the manual:

  (info "(org)Column view")
  (info "(org)Capturing Column View)

I think it's worth giving it a try.  Tables have their own ways of
handling cells and "buttons" would be confusing IMO.

--
Bastien

* feature request
@ 2009-03-23  2:14 Robert D. Crawford
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Robert D. Crawford @ 2009-03-23  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've been trying to make an org-remember template that will grab the
title of the webpage I want to create a link to.  This seems to not be
possible, although I could very well be wrong.  I was curious as to
whether a new keyword could be created for w3 and w3m links.  Seems that
:title would be very useful.

I am pretty sure I could code this myself... doesn't seem to be terribly
difficult.  It is not likely though that I would ever contribute code to
anything else, so filling out the form and waiting for all of it to get
where it needs to go seems a bit of a waste.

Thanks for listening,
rdc
--
Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@comcast.net

Every journalist has a novel in him, which is an excellent place for it.

* Re: feature request
@ 2009-03-23  2:44 ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-03-23  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert D. Crawford; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Robert,

"Robert D. Crawford" <rdc1x@comcast.net> writes:

> I've been trying to make an org-remember template that will grab the
> title of the webpage I want to create a link to.  This seems to not be
> possible, although I could very well be wrong.  I was curious as to
> whether a new keyword could be created for w3 and w3m links.  Seems that
> :title would be very useful.

When I use w3m, the annotation substitution (%a) in the remember
template does the trick. It grabs the url and title of the current page
(using org-store-link).

For instance, if I call remember while visiting the org-mode home page,
%a in the remember template is replaced by:

[[http://orgmode.org/][Org-Mode: Your Life in Plain Text]]

Best,
Matt

* Re: feature request
@ 2009-03-23 11:24 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-03-23 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert D. Crawford; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

You night want to use this:

  http://github.com/SebastianRose/worglet/tree/master

Which is an attempt to make `org-browser-url.el' and
`org-annotation-handler.el' work without any external dependencies on
shell scripts.

Also, you'll need to set up only one protocol in Firefox/Opera/OS.

The file provides three functions of interest:

  org-remember
  org-store-link
  org-open-source

which do just what their names say.

`org-browser-url.el' and `org-annotation-handler.el' are in the
'contrib' subdirectory of the Org-mode distribution.

Best,

  Sebastian

--
Sebastian Rose, EMMA STIL - mediendesign, Niemeyerstr.6, 30449 Hannover
Tel.:  +49 (0)511 - 36 58 472

* Re: feature request
@ 2009-03-23 13:56   ` Robert D. Crawford
From: Robert D. Crawford @ 2009-03-23 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello Matthew,

Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:

>> I've been trying to make an org-remember template that will grab the
>> title of the webpage I want to create a link to.  This seems to not be
>> possible, although I could very well be wrong.  I was curious as to
>> whether a new keyword could be created for w3 and w3m links.  Seems that
>> :title would be very useful.
>
> When I use w3m, the annotation substitution (%a) in the remember
> template does the trick. It grabs the url and title of the current page
> (using org-store-link).

Thanks.  This does work for w3m but using w3 it returns this:

*
  [[http://www.osnews.com/story/21181/The_IBM_X41_as_a_Lightweight_Linux_Laptop]] :laptop:

from this template:

'((?b "* [[%a] %^g %!" "~/bookmarks.org" bottom)

Later today, if I get the chance, I'll explore the solution proposed by
Sebastian Rose.

Thanks again,
rdc
--
Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@comcast.net

Chinese saying: "He who speak with forked tongue, not need chopsticks."

* Re: Re: feature request
@ 2009-03-23 14:08     ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-03-23 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Robert D. Crawford" <rdc1x@comcast.net> writes:
> Later today, if I get the chance, I'll explore the solution proposed by
> Sebastian Rose.

Note: there is a bug in the docs for org-protocol.el. I have fixed that,
but it takes ages to see the changes on gtihub sometimes...

The correct command line for testing is:

  emacsclient org-protocol://store-link://http:%2F%2Flocalhost%2Findex.html/The%20title

Regards,

  Sebastian

* Re: feature request
@ 2009-03-24 16:53   ` Robert D. Crawford
From: Robert D. Crawford @ 2009-03-24 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> writes:

> You night want to use this:
>
>   http://github.com/SebastianRose/worglet/tree/master

Please correct me if I am wrong but this seems to be the wrong solution
for w3 and w3m.  I don't use a graphical browser because of my need for
a screen reader.  I use emacs and emacspeak almost exclusively for my
computing needs. Sorry I wasn't clear in my needs and use.

Thanks,
rdc
--
Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@comcast.net

All kings is mostly rapscallions.
		-- Mark Twain

* Re: Re: feature request
@ 2009-03-24 18:23     ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-03-24 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Robert D. Crawford" <rdc1x@comcast.net> writes:
> Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> You night want to use this:
>>
>>   http://github.com/SebastianRose/worglet/tree/master
>
> Please correct me if I am wrong but this seems to be the wrong solution
> for w3 and w3m.  I don't use a graphical browser because of my need for
> a screen reader.  I use emacs and emacspeak almost exclusively for my
> computing needs. Sorry I wasn't clear in my needs and use.

Yes, org-protocol is meant for using emacs from the outside.

* generating titles in remember templates from w3 buffers [was:Re: feature request]
@ 2009-03-24 20:03     ` Robert D. Crawford
From: Robert D. Crawford @ 2009-03-24 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

As I mentioned below, using the annotation expansion in the template
does not work when using w3.  I did see the error in my template and
have fixed it (unnecessary brackets).  I am wondering if there is some
other way to get the title or if it can be added as a feature.

I've changed the post below to reflect the change in my template and
what it returns.

Thanks in advance for any help,
rdc

* [[http://www.gnu.org]]                                          :gnu:

> from this template:

'((?b "* %a %^g %!" "~/bookmarks.org" bottom)

> Later today, if I get the chance, I'll explore the solution proposed by
> Sebastian Rose.

As stated in a previous mail, Sebastian's solution works for browsers
outside of emacs.

--
Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@comcast.net

If your mother knew what you're doing, she'd probably hang her head and cry.

* Re: generating titles in remember templates from w3 buffers [was:Re: feature request]
@ 2009-03-25  5:46       ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2009-03-25  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Robert D. Crawford" <rdc1x@comcast.net> writes:

> As I mentioned below, using the annotation expansion in the template
> does not work when using w3.  I did see the error in my template and
> have fixed it (unnecessary brackets).  I am wondering if there is some
> other way to get the title or if it can be added as a feature.
>
> I've changed the post below to reflect the change in my template and
> what it returns.

> * [[http://www.gnu.org]]                                          :gnu:
>
>> from this template:
>
> '((?b "* %a %^g %!" "~/bookmarks.org" bottom)

Hum, there is something wrong with your setup, %a works fine for me with
Emacs-w3m  ([[http://www.gnu.org/][The GNU Operating System]]). Which
version of remember are you using? My copy is from git.

Charles

--
Linux!  Guerrilla UNIX Development     Venimus, Vidimus, Dolavimus.
(By mah@ka4ybr.com, Mark A. Horton KA4YBR)

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 196 bytes --]

* Re: generating titles in remember templates from w3 buffers [was:Re: feature request]
@ 2009-03-25  8:47       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-03-25  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert D. Crawford; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mar 24, 2009, at 9:03 PM, Robert D. Crawford wrote:

> As I mentioned below, using the annotation expansion in the template
> does not work when using w3.  I did see the error in my template and
> have fixed it (unnecessary brackets).  I am wondering if there is some
> other way to get the title or if it can be added as a feature.

Hi Robert,

Unfortunately I do not know about a variable that does hold the
title of a page in w3.  In w3m there is w3m-current-title.
In w3, all I was able to find is the URL via

     (org-view-url t)

If anyone knows the magic incantation to extract the page
title in a w3 buffer, I'd be happy to make it the default
for the link description.

- Carsten

@ 2009-03-25 12:36         ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2009-03-25 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Charles Philip Chan <cpchan@sympatico.ca> writes:

> Hum, there is something wrong with your setup, %a works fine for me with
> Emacs-w3m  ([[http://www.gnu.org/][The GNU Operating System]]). Which
> version of remember are you using? My copy is from git.

Sorry for the noise, I mistook w3 for w3m. :-(

Charles

(By Vance Petree, Virginia Power)

@ 2009-03-25 13:06         ` Robert D. Crawford
From: Robert D. Crawford @ 2009-03-25 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello Carsten,

> Unfortunately I do not know about a variable that does hold the
> title of a page in w3.  In w3m there is w3m-current-title.
> In w3, all I was able to find is the URL via
>
>     (org-view-url t)
>
> If anyone knows the magic incantation to extract the page
> title in a w3 buffer, I'd be happy to make it the default
> for the link description.

The way this is implemented in emacspeak and in bmk-mgr is to use the
buffer-name.  As far as I know that is the only way to get the current
title from w3.  IIRC, I implemented this in emacspeak and I know I did
it in bmk-mgr.  I assume that if Dr. Raman signed off it can't be too
wrong.

Thanks for your help,
rdc
--

@ 2009-03-25 13:50     ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2009-03-25 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Robert D. Crawford" <rdc1x@comcast.net> writes:

> I use emacs and emacspeak almost exclusively for my computing
> needs. Sorry I wasn't clear in my needs and use.

I am curious as to why you are using w3, since, from what I have read,
emacspeak supports w3m as well:

  http://emacspeak.sourceforge.net/info/html/emacs_002dw3m.html

w3 is so slow and feature incomplete.

Charles

--
"Are [Linux users] lemmings collectively jumping off of the cliff of
reliable, well-engineered commercial software?"

@ 2009-03-25 14:51       ` Robert D. Crawford
From: Robert D. Crawford @ 2009-03-25 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello Charles,

Charles Philip Chan <cpchan@sympatico.ca> writes:

> "Robert D. Crawford" <rdc1x@comcast.net> writes:
>
>> I use emacs and emacspeak almost exclusively for my computing
>> needs. Sorry I wasn't clear in my needs and use.
>
> I am curious as to why you are using w3, since, from what I have read,
> emacspeak supports w3m as well:

That is true.

> w3 is so slow and feature incomplete.

Slow, yes.  Feature incomplete, no.  There are several things w3 can do
that w3m cannot.  Table navigation, support for aural css, fontification
of all tags (pre, code, and the like immediately come to mind),
different attributes for h[1-6] tags, I am aware of nothing w3m can do
that w3 cannot.  Also, since w3 is pure lisp it can be extended in ways
that w3m cannot.

rdc
--
Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@comcast.net

* Re: Re: generating titles in remember templates from w3 buffers [was:Re: feature request]
@ 2009-03-25 19:42           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-03-25 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert D. Crawford; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mar 25, 2009, at 2:06 PM, Robert D. Crawford wrote:

> Hello Carsten,
>
> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Unfortunately I do not know about a variable that does hold the
>> title of a page in w3.  In w3m there is w3m-current-title.
>> In w3, all I was able to find is the URL via
>>
>>    (org-view-url t)
>>
>> If anyone knows the magic incantation to extract the page
>> title in a w3 buffer, I'd be happy to make it the default
>> for the link description.
>
> The way this is implemented in emacspeak and in bmk-mgr is to use the
> buffer-name.  As far as I know that is the only way to get the current
> title from w3.  IIRC, I implemented this in emacspeak and I know I did
> it in bmk-mgr.  I assume that if Dr. Raman signed off it can't be too
> wrong.

I have just tried a few pages including orgmode.org, and
the buffer name is "Untitled".  Am I using an old version of w3,
or if orgmode.org broken in this way?

- Carsten

* Re: generating titles in remember templates from w3 buffers [was:Re: feature request]
@ 2009-03-25 19:58             ` Robert D. Crawford
       [not found]               ` <rdc1x@comcast.net>
From: Robert D. Crawford @ 2009-03-25 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> I have just tried a few pages including orgmode.org, and
> the buffer name is "Untitled".  Am I using an old version of w3,
> or if orgmode.org broken in this way?

Not sure.  If I open orgmode.org and then eval the expression
(buffer-name) it returns the name of the buffer, which w3 gets from the
title tag.  Considering the speed of w3 releases (or lack thereof) I
doubt you have a different version from what I have here.  Here are the
pertinent version numbers:

emacs/w3: WWW p4.0pre.47, URL Emacs
emacs: GNU Emacs 23.0.90.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) of 2009-02-03 on t40

I am running about a month and a half behind upgrading emacs.  If you
think that might be a problem I can update.

Thanks for your help,
rdc
--

@ 2009-03-25 20:54                 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-03-25 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Robert D. Crawford <rdc1x@comcast.net> wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I have just tried a few pages including orgmode.org, and
> > the buffer name is "Untitled".  Am I using an old version of w3,
> > or if orgmode.org broken in this way?
>
> Not sure.  If I open orgmode.org and then eval the expression
> (buffer-name) it returns the name of the buffer, which w3 gets from the
> title tag.  Considering the speed of w3 releases (or lack thereof) I
> doubt you have a different version from what I have here.  Here are the
> pertinent version numbers:
>
> emacs/w3: WWW p4.0pre.47, URL Emacs
> emacs: GNU Emacs 23.0.90.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) of 2009-02-03 on t40
>
> I am running about a month and a half behind upgrading emacs.  If you
> think that might be a problem I can update.

I just fetched and built the version of W3 that Robert mentions.
When I do

     M-x w3-fetch http://orgmode.org RET

I get the (badly rendered) orgmode home page in a buffer, an error and a backtrace
(appended), but when I evaluate (buffer-name) in the orgmode buffer, I do indeed
get

        "Org-Mode: Your Life in Plain Text"

HTH,
Nick

PS. Backtrace follows - since I usually use an external browser, I've not tried
to track down what the error is:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument symbolp (cdr (assq (quote class) munged)))
  w3-display-node((*document nil ((html ... ...))))
  w3-draw-tree(((*document nil (...))))
  w3-prepare-buffer()
  w3-fetch-callback("http://orgmode.org")
  w3-fetch-redirect-callback(nil "http://orgmode.org")
  apply(w3-fetch-redirect-callback (nil "http://orgmode.org"))
  url-http-activate-callback()
  url-http-content-length-after-change-function(13521 15498 1977)
 tp://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/index.php\">Tutorials</a>.  Worg is similar\nto a wiki in that allows community to edit the contents.  However,\nsince it uses a distributed version contr
 de is part of Emacs, which\nadheres to very strict rules.  If you would like to sign the papers,\nuse <a href=\"request-assign-future.txt\">this form</a>, fill it in and <a href=\"mailto:ass

* Re: feature request
@ 2009-03-26  4:09 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-03-26  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert D. Crawford; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Robert,

if you pull a new git version, the page title will now correctly
appear in links created in w3-mode buffers.

Thanks to all who contributed to this discussion.

- Carsten

On Mar 23, 2009, at 3:14 AM, Robert D. Crawford wrote:

> I've been trying to make an org-remember template that will grab the
> title of the webpage I want to create a link to.  This seems to not be
> possible, although I could very well be wrong.  I was curious as to
> whether a new keyword could be created for w3 and w3m links.  Seems
> that
> :title would be very useful.
>
> I am pretty sure I could code this myself... doesn't seem to be
> terribly
> difficult.  It is not likely though that I would ever contribute
> code to
> anything else, so filling out the form and waiting for all of it to
> get
> where it needs to go seems a bit of a waste.
>
> Thanks for listening,
> rdc
> --
> Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@comcast.net
>
> Every journalist has a novel in him, which is an excellent place for
> it.

* Re: feature request
@ 2009-03-26 16:43   ` Robert D. Crawford
From: Robert D. Crawford @ 2009-03-26 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello Carsten,

> if you pull a new git version, the page title will now correctly
> appear in links created in w3-mode buffers.
>
> Thanks to all who contributed to this discussion.

Thank you.  I just tested it and works well.  Exactly what I needed.

rdc
--
Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@comcast.net

* Feature request
@ 2010-10-10 13:50 David Abrahams
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: David Abrahams @ 2010-10-10 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi All,

I have to reschedule quite a few items daily.  Often they're
yesterday's items that I need to reschedule for today.

  `C-c C-s . RET'

is a bit much typing for that, so I re-bound `S' to
org-agenda-schedule.  But

  `S . RET'

is still a bit much.  I'd like it if the default when rescheduling was
always for today, instead of the date the item is already scheduled
for, so I could

  `S RET'

in the usual case.  What about a customizable option to set the
default schedule-for date?

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing

* Re: Feature request
@ 2010-10-10 15:43 ` Bernt Hansen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-10-10 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Abrahams; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

David Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> I have to reschedule quite a few items daily.  Often they're
> yesterday's items that I need to reschedule for today.
>
>   `C-c C-s . RET'
>
> is a bit much typing for that, so I re-bound `S' to
> org-agenda-schedule.  But
>
>   `S . RET'
>
> is still a bit much.  I'd like it if the default when rescheduling was
> always for today, instead of the date the item is already scheduled
> for, so I could
>
>   `S RET'
>
> in the usual case.  What about a customizable option to set the
> default schedule-for date?

Hi David,

Why are you rescheduling items everyday?  That seems like a lot of
overhead to me.  What's wrong with leaving the item on the first
scheduled date and just allow the agenda to show how many days it has
already been scheduled for -- until you mark it DONE?

Alternatively if it's a repeating task, you can use a single day
repeater and just mark the item DONE to move it to the next day.

One thing I've been trying to do is minimize the amount of time I spend
on overhead stuff for my tasks and trading that for time I actually do
work on completing the tasks instead.

Regards,
Bernt

* Re: Feature request
@ 2010-10-10 16:30 ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2010-10-10 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

David Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:

> I have to reschedule quite a few items daily.  Often they're
> yesterday's items that I need to reschedule for today.
>
>   `C-c C-s . RET'
>
> is a bit much typing for that, so I re-bound `S' to
> org-agenda-schedule.  But
>
>   `S . RET'
>
> is still a bit much.  I'd like it if the default when rescheduling was
> always for today, instead of the date the item is already scheduled
> for, so I could
>
>   `S RET'
>
> in the usual case.  What about a customizable option to set the
> default schedule-for date?

Just curious: Why don't you use the bulk action?

a) Mark all items with `m'
b) `B' `s' `.' RET.

For 20 items, thats:
20x `m' + 4 Keys for b) = 24 keypresses
(if those items are right next to each other and need no navigation)

Your approach would need 20 item x `S Ret' = 40 keypresses :).

Memnon

* Re: Feature request
@ 2010-10-10 18:03   ` David Abrahams
From: David Abrahams @ 2010-10-10 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

At Sun, 10 Oct 2010 11:43:07 -0400,
Bernt Hansen wrote:

> David Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have to reschedule quite a few items daily.  Often they're
> > yesterday's items that I need to reschedule for today.
> >
> >   `C-c C-s . RET'
> >
> > is a bit much typing for that, so I re-bound `S' to
> > org-agenda-schedule.  But
> >
> >   `S . RET'
> >
> > is still a bit much.  I'd like it if the default when rescheduling was
> > always for today, instead of the date the item is already scheduled
> > for, so I could
> >
> >   `S RET'
> >
> > in the usual case.  What about a customizable option to set the
> > default schedule-for date?
>
> Hi David,
>
> Why are you rescheduling items everyday?

Because there's always something I didn't get done yesterday, and I
often have pushed too many tasks forward onto a given day, and don't
want to see more than about 15 TODOs in my agenda on any given day.

> That seems like a lot of overhead to me.  What's wrong with leaving
> the item on the first scheduled date and just allow the agenda to
> show how many days it has already been scheduled for -- until you
> mark it DONE?

Because then they show up in the consciousness like a failure instead
of as just what I have to do today, and they tend to pile up and lead
to a state of despair, where the agenda is too daunting to face.  They
need to be processed.  I need to re-negotiate the contract I made with
myself about when they were getting done.

> Alternatively if it's a repeating task, you can use a single day
> repeater and just mark the item DONE to move it to the next day.

It's not.

> One thing I've been trying to do is minimize the amount of time I
> spend on overhead stuff for my tasks and trading that for time I
> actually do work on completing the tasks instead.

Thanks, but I need to do this to keep on track.

Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing
http://www.boostpro.com

* Re: Feature request
@ 2010-10-10 18:12 ` Juan Pechiar
From: Juan Pechiar @ 2010-10-10 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Abrahams; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 09:50:47AM -0400, David Abrahams wrote:
> I have to reschedule quite a few items daily.  Often they're
> yesterday's items that I need to reschedule for today.
>   `C-c C-s . RET'
> is a bit much typing for that

I use S-right on the agenda buffer, which is quite easy.

Regards,
.j.

P.S. My reason to do this every day: day planning and regaining
consciouness about things to be done. Takes 1 minute at most.

* Re: Feature request
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-10-11  7:21 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-10-11  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Abrahams; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Oct 10, 2010, at 3:50 PM, David Abrahams wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have to reschedule quite a few items daily.  Often they're
> yesterday's items that I need to reschedule for today.
>
>  `C-c C-s . RET'
>
> is a bit much typing for that, so I re-bound `S' to
> org-agenda-schedule.  But
>
>  `S . RET'
>
> is still a bit much.  I'd like it if the default when rescheduling was
> always for today, instead of the date the item is already scheduled
> for, so I could
>
>  `S RET'
>
> in the usual case.  What about a customizable option to set the
> default schedule-for date?

After giving this some thought, I don't this this can be done in a
clear and non-confusing way.  I do think it is necessary to somehow
change the date relative to what the previously set date is.  The only
way to make this half way transparently is to show that date in the
prompt as the default date.

There was lots of good advice to so what you want in different ways,
including not rescheduling, or using bulk actions in the agenda.

Finally, if you still want a fast command doing this:

(defun org-agenda-reschedule-to-today ()
   (interactive)
   (flet ((org-read-date (&rest rest) (current-time)))
     (call-interactively 'org-agenda-schedule)))

- Carsten

* Re: Feature request
@ 2010-10-11 14:18   ` David Abrahams
From: David Abrahams @ 2010-10-11 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

At Mon, 11 Oct 2010 09:21:05 +0200,
Carsten Dominik wrote:

> After giving this some thought, I don't this this can be done in a
> clear and non-confusing way.

Thanks for spending so much time/energy considering it, despite the
fact that it would be incoherent with the rest of your interface!

> I do think it is necessary to somehow change the date relative to
> what the previously set date is.  The only way to make this half way
> transparently is to show that date in the prompt as the default
> date.

Okay.

> There was lots of good advice to so what you want in different ways,
> including not rescheduling, or using bulk actions in the agenda.

You know, I have `f' and `b' bound to org-agenda-date-later/-earlier,
and that would be perfectly adequate for me, *if* I got appropriate
visual feedback.  The problem is the red "S2" or "S3" I'm looking at
doesn't change on the fly when I reschedule.  And it's hard to train
myself not to hit `f' twice when I see S2 :-)

> Finally, if you still want a fast command doing this:
>
> (defun org-agenda-reschedule-to-today ()
>    (interactive)
>    (flet ((org-read-date (&rest rest) (current-time)))
>      (call-interactively 'org-agenda-schedule)))

That's a good idea. I don't think I need etags in my agenda buffer, so
`M-.' works.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing

* Re: Feature request
@ 2011-01-15 12:13   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-01-15 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: David Abrahams, emacs-orgmode

> Finally, if you still want a fast command doing this:
>
> (defun org-agenda-reschedule-to-today ()
>   (interactive)
>   (flet ((org-read-date (&rest rest) (current-time)))
>     (call-interactively 'org-agenda-schedule)))

Useful, thanks!

I added it to org-hacks.org under this section :

  "Reschedule agenda items to today with a single command"

--
 Bastien

* feature request
@ 2011-07-18 21:36 Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2011-07-18 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

A little data destruction protection.  I put together a table and had to
destroy all copies of it after having tried to set up averages for a
couple columns.  The averages didn't work and data got zeroed out and I
lost an entire column of data that way.  One of my problems I'm sure was
caused because I tried data gathering first then tried modifying the
original table and adding the formulas later.  Next time I attempt
anything with org and mathematics, I'll write my data set down in braille
and ought to have done that with this data set as well.  What might have
helped here a little is if a column is going to be put into existing
columns the column inserts rather than overwrites any column that might be
there.  The broken table I ended up with had six columns and two of those
were single space columns out to the right with nothing in them.  There
ought to have been before I did anything with formulas at most four
columns in the table.  I did enter time stamps in as two separated date
and time fields originally then when I read what all could be put into
time stamps, I consolidated those first two columns into a single time
stamp column.  I don''t know if that consolidation did further damage or
not.

* Re: feature request
@ 2011-07-18 23:13 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-07-18 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Jude,

when deleting data with just one keystroke (like in the case you
describe), there is always the possibility to _undo_ with C-/

Is there something more we can do?

Best,

--
 Bastien

* Re: feature request
@ 2011-07-19 12:10 ` MidLifeXis at PerlMonks
From: MidLifeXis at PerlMonks @ 2011-07-19 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Recommendation: use something like GIT (or one of the other fine source control systems out there) to checkpoint your work, and save the history of your org files.  It can even be set up in emacs to periodically save all org files and check in a snapshot.

HTH,
Brian

________________________________

@ 2013-06-25 15:22 42 147
From: 42 147 @ 2013-06-25 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Org-mode has proven tremendously useful in writing musical analyses, but
it would also be nice to provide musical examples in plain text.

Is there anything like this available? If not, I may try to do it
myself. I'm finally getting my act together and finishing the Emacs Lisp
Intro; but any help pointing me to the right examples, or the right
conceptual frameworks would be much appreciate.

Here is more or less what I would want:

----------
----------
----------
----------
----------

Pretend that is the staff. The user places the cursor on the staff, and
therefore enters "note entry mode." The "note-entry" function is passed
three args: one for the note, two for the rhythmic value. So if the user
presses "F," "F" is passed as the first argument; if the user enters
"8", "8" is passed as the second argument; if the user enters ".", "."
is passed as the third argument.

This produces a dotted 8th F note on the staff. The third argument is
optional (since not all rhythmic values are dotted), and its value is
nil by default.

Anyway, that is a draft of what I would want. May already exist with
slightly different functionality.

* Re: feature request
@ 2013-06-25 16:11 ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2013-06-25 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 42 147; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

42 147 writes:

> Org-mode has proven tremendously useful in writing musical analyses, but
> it would also be nice to provide musical examples in plain text.
>
> Is there anything like this available?

Yes. Org-Babel supports Lilypond. It's magic.

http://www.lilypond.org/
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-lilypond.html

Yours,
Christian

* Re: feature request
@ 2013-06-25 16:29   ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 2013-06-25 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Christian Moe <mail@christianmoe.com> writes:

> 42 147 writes:

>> Is there anything like this available?

> Yes. Org-Babel supports Lilypond. It's magic.

> http://www.lilypond.org/
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-lilypond.html

Somewhere in my old files, I have a reference to an Emacs mode for
entering music visually in a kind of ASCII mode, written by Neil Jerram
if I remember correctly.  But this was before Han-Wen and Jan wrote
Lilypond.  Now that Lilypond exists, it is an immensely more interesting
avenue, in my opinion.  Neil code would be fairly oldish anyway.

I never tried using both Org and Lilypond as suggested, but it looks
like a very appealing idea, I should try it.  Thanks for the suggestion.

François

* Re: feature request
@ 2013-06-25 18:31     ` Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2013-06-25 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: François Pinard; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi François

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 6:29 PM, François Pinard
<pinard@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> Somewhere in my old files, I have a reference to an Emacs mode for
> entering music visually in a kind of ASCII mode, written by Neil Jerram
> if I remember correctly.

I am very curios to see how this looked like and how it worked. With a
quick search I was not able to find it.

Michael

* Feature request
@ 2021-01-14 17:01 Raoul Comninos
From: Raoul Comninos @ 2021-01-14 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/62761/seeing-file-names-in-todo-entries-when-using-org-attach?noredirect=1#comment98901_62761
---

* Re: Feature request
@ 2021-01-17  5:30 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2021-01-17  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raoul Comninos, emacs-orgmode

Raoul Comninos <revrari@mweb.co.za> writes:

> https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/62761/seeing-file-names-in-todo-entries-when-using-org-attach?noredirect=1#comment98901_62761
> ---

Listing all the attached files used to be the built-in, but it was
removed a few years ago.

Best,
Ihor

* Re: Feature request
@ 2021-01-17  5:31 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2021-01-17  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raoul Comninos, emacs-orgmode

@ 2021-01-17  5:33   ` Raoul Comninos
From: Raoul Comninos @ 2021-01-17  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Raoul Comninos <revrari@mweb.co.za> writes:
>
>> https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/62761/seeing-file-names-in-todo-entries-when-using-org-attach?noredirect=1#comment98901_62761
>> ---
>
> Listing all the attached files used to be the built-in, but it was
> removed a few years ago.
>
> Best,
> Ihor

Oh, that's a pity. Thanks for responding.

* Re: Feature request
@ 2021-01-17  6:12     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2021-01-17  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raoul Comninos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Raoul Comninos <revrari@mweb.co.za> writes:

>> Listing all the attached files used to be the built-in, but it was
>> removed a few years ago.
> Oh, that's a pity. Thanks for responding.

You can still implement it on your side for personal use. There is
org-attach-after-change-hook where you can put a custom function saving
the attached file list (org-attach-file-list) into a property.

Best,
Ihor

* Re: Feature request
@ 2021-01-17  6:18       ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2021-01-17  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raoul Comninos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I think something like the following will do (untested):

(defun org-attach-save-file-list-to-property ()
  "Save list of attachments to ORG_ATTACH_FILES property."
  (when-let* ((dir (org-attach-dir))
	      (files (org-attach-file-list dir)))
    (org-set-property "ORG_ATTACH_FILES" (mapconcat #'identity files ", "))))
(add-hook 'org-attach-after-change-hook #'org-attach-save-file-list-to-property)

Best,
Ihor

* Re: Feature request
@ 2021-01-17  8:15         ` Raoul Comninos
From: Raoul Comninos @ 2021-01-17  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> I think something like the following will do (untested):
>
> (defun org-attach-save-file-list-to-property ()
>   "Save list of attachments to ORG_ATTACH_FILES property."
>   (when-let* ((dir (org-attach-dir))
> 	      (files (org-attach-file-list dir)))
>     (org-set-property "ORG_ATTACH_FILES" (mapconcat #'identity files ", "))))
> (add-hook 'org-attach-after-change-hook #'org-attach-save-file-list-to-property)
>
> Best,
> Ihor

I have copied the code to my dot Emacs, but now when I try to add an attachment now, it generates this error:

run-hook-with-args: Wrong number of arguments: (lambda nil "Save list of
attachments to ORG_ATTACH_FILES property." (when-let* ((dir
(org-attach-dir)) (files (org-attach-file-list dir))) (org-set-property
"ORG_ATTACH_FILES" (mapconcat #'identity files ", ")))), 1

Can you help me with this?

Kind regards,
Raoul Comninos

* Re: Feature request
@ 2021-01-17  9:01           ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2021-01-17  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raoul Comninos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Raoul Comninos <revrari@mweb.co.za> writes:

> I have copied the code to my dot Emacs, but now when I try to add an attachment now, it generates this error:
>
> run-hook-with-args: Wrong number of arguments: (lambda nil "Save list of
> attachments to ORG_ATTACH_FILES property." (when-let* ((dir
> (org-attach-dir)) (files (org-attach-file-list dir))) (org-set-property
> "ORG_ATTACH_FILES" (mapconcat #'identity files ", ")))), 1
>
> Can you help me with this?

You can try:

(defun org-attach-save-file-list-to-property (dir)
  "Save list of attachments to ORG_ATTACH_FILES property."
  (when-let* ((files (org-attach-file-list dir)))
    (org-set-property "ORG_ATTACH_FILES" (mapconcat #'identity files ", "))))
(add-hook 'org-attach-after-change-hook #'org-attach-save-file-list-to-property)

Also, note that the list of files will only be updated if you
attach/delete files calling org-attach. If you change the attachment
folder manually, you will need to run M-x org-attach-sync.

Best,
Ihor

* Re: Feature request
@ 2021-01-17  9:20             ` Raoul Comninos
From: Raoul Comninos @ 2021-01-17  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Raoul Comninos <revrari@mweb.co.za> writes:
>
>> I have copied the code to my dot Emacs, but now when I try to add an attachment now, it generates this error:
>>
>> run-hook-with-args: Wrong number of arguments: (lambda nil "Save list of
>> attachments to ORG_ATTACH_FILES property." (when-let* ((dir
>> (org-attach-dir)) (files (org-attach-file-list dir))) (org-set-property
>> "ORG_ATTACH_FILES" (mapconcat #'identity files ", ")))), 1
>>
>> Can you help me with this?
>
> You can try:
>
> (defun org-attach-save-file-list-to-property (dir)
>   "Save list of attachments to ORG_ATTACH_FILES property."
>   (when-let* ((files (org-attach-file-list dir)))
>     (org-set-property "ORG_ATTACH_FILES" (mapconcat #'identity files ", "))))
> (add-hook 'org-attach-after-change-hook #'org-attach-save-file-list-to-property)
>
> Also, note that the list of files will only be updated if you
> attach/delete files calling org-attach. If you change the attachment
> folder manually, you will need to run M-x org-attach-sync.
>
> Best,
> Ihor

It works now and its awesome! I cannot believe that they had this
feature and removed it. I am a very happy man and I cannot thank you enough.

If you have time please add your answer and function to the original
post. I feel others will make use of it too.

https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/62761/seeing-file-names-in-todo-entries-when-using-org-attach/62792#62792

Kindest regards,
Raoul Comninos

* Re: Feature request
@ 2021-01-18  1:46             ` Raoul Comninos
From: Raoul Comninos @ 2021-01-18  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Raoul Comninos <revrari@mweb.co.za> writes:
>
>> I have copied the code to my dot Emacs, but now when I try to add an attachment now, it generates this error:
>>
>> run-hook-with-args: Wrong number of arguments: (lambda nil "Save list of
>> attachments to ORG_ATTACH_FILES property." (when-let* ((dir
>> (org-attach-dir)) (files (org-attach-file-list dir))) (org-set-property
>> "ORG_ATTACH_FILES" (mapconcat #'identity files ", ")))), 1
>>
>> Can you help me with this?
>
> You can try:
>
> (defun org-attach-save-file-list-to-property (dir)
>   "Save list of attachments to ORG_ATTACH_FILES property."
>   (when-let* ((files (org-attach-file-list dir)))
>     (org-set-property "ORG_ATTACH_FILES" (mapconcat #'identity files ", "))))
> (add-hook 'org-attach-after-change-hook #'org-attach-save-file-list-to-property)
>
> Also, note that the list of files will only be updated if you
> attach/delete files calling org-attach. If you change the attachment
> folder manually, you will need to run M-x org-attach-sync.
>
> Best,
> Ihor

With your permission can I post your solution to stack-exchange,
crediting you?

Kindest regards,
Raoul Comninos

* Re: Feature request
@ 2021-01-18  2:17               ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2021-01-18  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raoul Comninos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Raoul Comninos <revrari@mweb.co.za> writes:

> It works now and its awesome! I cannot believe that they had this
> feature and removed it. I am a very happy man and I cannot thank you enough.

This feature creates a lot of junk text when attachment folder gets very
large. For example, I keep my travel photos as attachments. There can be
hundreds of photos in a single attachment folder. Showing all the photo
names in a property would be not very useful.

On the other hand, if more people are interested, this feature can be
resurrected as a user-option (disabled by default).

Best,
Ihor

* Re: Feature request
@ 2021-01-18  2:19               ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2021-01-18  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raoul Comninos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Raoul Comninos <revrari@mweb.co.za> writes:

> With your permission can I post your solution to stack-exchange,
> crediting you?

Sure. The public message URL is
https://orgmode.org/list/87sg70vsvy.fsf@localhost/

Best,
Ihor

* Re: Feature request
@ 2021-01-18  8:19                 ` Detlef Steuer
From: Detlef Steuer @ 2021-01-18  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Am Mon, 18 Jan 2021 10:17:11 +0800
schrieb Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com>:

> Raoul Comninos <revrari@mweb.co.za> writes:
>
> > It works now and its awesome! I cannot believe that they had this
> > feature and removed it. I am a very happy man and I cannot thank
> > you enough.
>
> This feature creates a lot of junk text when attachment folder gets
> very large. For example, I keep my travel photos as attachments.
> There can be hundreds of photos in a single attachment folder.
> Showing all the photo names in a property would be not very useful.
>
> On the other hand, if more people are interested, this feature can be
> resurrected as a user-option (disabled by default).

As an option I would use it!

Detlef