* feature request
@ 2009-03-23  2:14 Robert D. Crawford
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Robert D. Crawford @ 2009-03-23  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've been trying to make an org-remember template that will grab the
title of the webpage I want to create a link to.  This seems to not be
possible, although I could very well be wrong.  I was curious as to
whether a new keyword could be created for w3 and w3m links.  Seems that
:title would be very useful.

I am pretty sure I could code this myself... doesn't seem to be terribly
difficult.  It is not likely though that I would ever contribute code to
anything else, so filling out the form and waiting for all of it to get
where it needs to go seems a bit of a waste.

Thanks for listening,
rdc
--
Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@comcast.net

Every journalist has a novel in him, which is an excellent place for it.

* Re: feature request
@ 2009-03-23  2:44 ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-03-23  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert D. Crawford; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Robert,

"Robert D. Crawford" <rdc1x@comcast.net> writes:

> I've been trying to make an org-remember template that will grab the
> title of the webpage I want to create a link to.  This seems to not be
> possible, although I could very well be wrong.  I was curious as to
> whether a new keyword could be created for w3 and w3m links.  Seems that
> :title would be very useful.

When I use w3m, the annotation substitution (%a) in the remember
template does the trick. It grabs the url and title of the current page
(using org-store-link).

For instance, if I call remember while visiting the org-mode home page,
%a in the remember template is replaced by:

[[http://orgmode.org/][Org-Mode: Your Life in Plain Text]]

Best,
Matt

* Re: feature request
@ 2009-03-23 11:24 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-03-23 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert D. Crawford; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

You night want to use this:

  http://github.com/SebastianRose/worglet/tree/master

Which is an attempt to make `org-browser-url.el' and
`org-annotation-handler.el' work without any external dependencies on
shell scripts.

Also, you'll need to set up only one protocol in Firefox/Opera/OS.

The file provides three functions of interest:

  org-remember
  org-store-link
  org-open-source

which do just what their names say.

`org-browser-url.el' and `org-annotation-handler.el' are in the
'contrib' subdirectory of the Org-mode distribution.

Best,

  Sebastian

--
Sebastian Rose, EMMA STIL - mediendesign, Niemeyerstr.6, 30449 Hannover
Tel.:  +49 (0)511 - 36 58 472

* Re: feature request
@ 2009-03-23 13:56   ` Robert D. Crawford
From: Robert D. Crawford @ 2009-03-23 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello Matthew,

Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:

>> I've been trying to make an org-remember template that will grab the
>> title of the webpage I want to create a link to.  This seems to not be
>> possible, although I could very well be wrong.  I was curious as to
>> whether a new keyword could be created for w3 and w3m links.  Seems that
>> :title would be very useful.
>
> When I use w3m, the annotation substitution (%a) in the remember
> template does the trick. It grabs the url and title of the current page
> (using org-store-link).

Thanks.  This does work for w3m but using w3 it returns this:

*
  [[http://www.osnews.com/story/21181/The_IBM_X41_as_a_Lightweight_Linux_Laptop]] :laptop:

from this template:

'((?b "* [[%a] %^g %!" "~/bookmarks.org" bottom)

Later today, if I get the chance, I'll explore the solution proposed by
Sebastian Rose.

Thanks again,
rdc
--
Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@comcast.net

Chinese saying: "He who speak with forked tongue, not need chopsticks."

* Re: Re: feature request
@ 2009-03-23 14:08     ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-03-23 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Robert D. Crawford" <rdc1x@comcast.net> writes:
> Later today, if I get the chance, I'll explore the solution proposed by
> Sebastian Rose.

Note: there is a bug in the docs for org-protocol.el. I have fixed that,
but it takes ages to see the changes on gtihub sometimes...

The correct command line for testing is:

  emacsclient org-protocol://store-link://http:%2F%2Flocalhost%2Findex.html/The%20title

Regards,

  Sebastian

* Re: feature request
@ 2009-03-24 16:53   ` Robert D. Crawford
From: Robert D. Crawford @ 2009-03-24 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> writes:

> You night want to use this:
>
>   http://github.com/SebastianRose/worglet/tree/master

Please correct me if I am wrong but this seems to be the wrong solution
for w3 and w3m.  I don't use a graphical browser because of my need for
a screen reader.  I use emacs and emacspeak almost exclusively for my
computing needs. Sorry I wasn't clear in my needs and use.

Thanks,
rdc
--
Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@comcast.net

All kings is mostly rapscallions.
		-- Mark Twain

* Re: Re: feature request
@ 2009-03-24 18:23     ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-03-24 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Robert D. Crawford" <rdc1x@comcast.net> writes:
> Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> You night want to use this:
>>
>>   http://github.com/SebastianRose/worglet/tree/master
>
> Please correct me if I am wrong but this seems to be the wrong solution
> for w3 and w3m.  I don't use a graphical browser because of my need for
> a screen reader.  I use emacs and emacspeak almost exclusively for my
> computing needs. Sorry I wasn't clear in my needs and use.

Yes, org-protocol is meant for using emacs from the outside.

* generating titles in remember templates from w3 buffers [was:Re: feature request]
@ 2009-03-24 20:03     ` Robert D. Crawford
From: Robert D. Crawford @ 2009-03-24 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

As I mentioned below, using the annotation expansion in the template
does not work when using w3.  I did see the error in my template and
have fixed it (unnecessary brackets).  I am wondering if there is some
other way to get the title or if it can be added as a feature.

I've changed the post below to reflect the change in my template and
what it returns.

Thanks in advance for any help,
rdc

* [[http://www.gnu.org]]                                          :gnu:

> from this template:

'((?b "* %a %^g %!" "~/bookmarks.org" bottom)

> Later today, if I get the chance, I'll explore the solution proposed by
> Sebastian Rose.

As stated in a previous mail, Sebastian's solution works for browsers
outside of emacs.

--
Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@comcast.net

If your mother knew what you're doing, she'd probably hang her head and cry.

* Re: generating titles in remember templates from w3 buffers [was:Re: feature request]
@ 2009-03-25  5:46       ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2009-03-25  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Robert D. Crawford" <rdc1x@comcast.net> writes:

> As I mentioned below, using the annotation expansion in the template
> does not work when using w3.  I did see the error in my template and
> have fixed it (unnecessary brackets).  I am wondering if there is some
> other way to get the title or if it can be added as a feature.
>
> I've changed the post below to reflect the change in my template and
> what it returns.

> * [[http://www.gnu.org]]                                          :gnu:
>
>> from this template:
>
> '((?b "* %a %^g %!" "~/bookmarks.org" bottom)

Hum, there is something wrong with your setup, %a works fine for me with
Emacs-w3m  ([[http://www.gnu.org/][The GNU Operating System]]). Which
version of remember are you using? My copy is from git.

Charles

--
Linux!  Guerrilla UNIX Development     Venimus, Vidimus, Dolavimus.
(By mah@ka4ybr.com, Mark A. Horton KA4YBR)

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 196 bytes --]

* Re: generating titles in remember templates from w3 buffers [was:Re: feature request]
@ 2009-03-25  8:47       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-03-25  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert D. Crawford; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mar 24, 2009, at 9:03 PM, Robert D. Crawford wrote:

> As I mentioned below, using the annotation expansion in the template
> does not work when using w3.  I did see the error in my template and
> have fixed it (unnecessary brackets).  I am wondering if there is some
> other way to get the title or if it can be added as a feature.

Hi Robert,

Unfortunately I do not know about a variable that does hold the
title of a page in w3.  In w3m there is w3m-current-title.
In w3, all I was able to find is the URL via

     (org-view-url t)

If anyone knows the magic incantation to extract the page
title in a w3 buffer, I'd be happy to make it the default
for the link description.

- Carsten

@ 2009-03-25 12:36         ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2009-03-25 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Charles Philip Chan <cpchan@sympatico.ca> writes:

> Hum, there is something wrong with your setup, %a works fine for me with
> Emacs-w3m  ([[http://www.gnu.org/][The GNU Operating System]]). Which
> version of remember are you using? My copy is from git.

Sorry for the noise, I mistook w3 for w3m. :-(

Charles

(By Vance Petree, Virginia Power)

@ 2009-03-25 13:06         ` Robert D. Crawford
From: Robert D. Crawford @ 2009-03-25 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello Carsten,

> Unfortunately I do not know about a variable that does hold the
> title of a page in w3.  In w3m there is w3m-current-title.
> In w3, all I was able to find is the URL via
>
>     (org-view-url t)
>
> If anyone knows the magic incantation to extract the page
> title in a w3 buffer, I'd be happy to make it the default
> for the link description.

The way this is implemented in emacspeak and in bmk-mgr is to use the
buffer-name.  As far as I know that is the only way to get the current
title from w3.  IIRC, I implemented this in emacspeak and I know I did
it in bmk-mgr.  I assume that if Dr. Raman signed off it can't be too
wrong.

Thanks for your help,
rdc
--

@ 2009-03-25 13:50     ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2009-03-25 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Robert D. Crawford" <rdc1x@comcast.net> writes:

> I use emacs and emacspeak almost exclusively for my computing
> needs. Sorry I wasn't clear in my needs and use.

I am curious as to why you are using w3, since, from what I have read,
emacspeak supports w3m as well:

  http://emacspeak.sourceforge.net/info/html/emacs_002dw3m.html

w3 is so slow and feature incomplete.

Charles

--
"Are [Linux users] lemmings collectively jumping off of the cliff of
reliable, well-engineered commercial software?"

@ 2009-03-25 14:51       ` Robert D. Crawford
From: Robert D. Crawford @ 2009-03-25 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello Charles,

Charles Philip Chan <cpchan@sympatico.ca> writes:

> "Robert D. Crawford" <rdc1x@comcast.net> writes:
>
>> I use emacs and emacspeak almost exclusively for my computing
>> needs. Sorry I wasn't clear in my needs and use.
>
> I am curious as to why you are using w3, since, from what I have read,
> emacspeak supports w3m as well:

That is true.

> w3 is so slow and feature incomplete.

Slow, yes.  Feature incomplete, no.  There are several things w3 can do
that w3m cannot.  Table navigation, support for aural css, fontification
of all tags (pre, code, and the like immediately come to mind),
different attributes for h[1-6] tags, I am aware of nothing w3m can do
that w3 cannot.  Also, since w3 is pure lisp it can be extended in ways
that w3m cannot.

rdc
--
Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@comcast.net

* Re: Re: generating titles in remember templates from w3 buffers [was:Re: feature request]
@ 2009-03-25 19:42           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-03-25 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert D. Crawford; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mar 25, 2009, at 2:06 PM, Robert D. Crawford wrote:

> Hello Carsten,
>
> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Unfortunately I do not know about a variable that does hold the
>> title of a page in w3.  In w3m there is w3m-current-title.
>> In w3, all I was able to find is the URL via
>>
>>    (org-view-url t)
>>
>> If anyone knows the magic incantation to extract the page
>> title in a w3 buffer, I'd be happy to make it the default
>> for the link description.
>
> The way this is implemented in emacspeak and in bmk-mgr is to use the
> buffer-name.  As far as I know that is the only way to get the current
> title from w3.  IIRC, I implemented this in emacspeak and I know I did
> it in bmk-mgr.  I assume that if Dr. Raman signed off it can't be too
> wrong.

I have just tried a few pages including orgmode.org, and
the buffer name is "Untitled".  Am I using an old version of w3,
or if orgmode.org broken in this way?

- Carsten

* Re: generating titles in remember templates from w3 buffers [was:Re: feature request]
@ 2009-03-25 19:58             ` Robert D. Crawford
       [not found]               ` <rdc1x@comcast.net>
From: Robert D. Crawford @ 2009-03-25 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> I have just tried a few pages including orgmode.org, and
> the buffer name is "Untitled".  Am I using an old version of w3,
> or if orgmode.org broken in this way?

Not sure.  If I open orgmode.org and then eval the expression
(buffer-name) it returns the name of the buffer, which w3 gets from the
title tag.  Considering the speed of w3 releases (or lack thereof) I
doubt you have a different version from what I have here.  Here are the
pertinent version numbers:

emacs/w3: WWW p4.0pre.47, URL Emacs
emacs: GNU Emacs 23.0.90.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) of 2009-02-03 on t40

I am running about a month and a half behind upgrading emacs.  If you
think that might be a problem I can update.

Thanks for your help,
rdc
--

@ 2009-03-25 20:54                 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-03-25 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Robert D. Crawford <rdc1x@comcast.net> wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I have just tried a few pages including orgmode.org, and
> > the buffer name is "Untitled".  Am I using an old version of w3,
> > or if orgmode.org broken in this way?
>
> Not sure.  If I open orgmode.org and then eval the expression
> (buffer-name) it returns the name of the buffer, which w3 gets from the
> title tag.  Considering the speed of w3 releases (or lack thereof) I
> doubt you have a different version from what I have here.  Here are the
> pertinent version numbers:
>
> emacs/w3: WWW p4.0pre.47, URL Emacs
> emacs: GNU Emacs 23.0.90.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) of 2009-02-03 on t40
>
> I am running about a month and a half behind upgrading emacs.  If you
> think that might be a problem I can update.

I just fetched and built the version of W3 that Robert mentions.
When I do

     M-x w3-fetch http://orgmode.org RET

I get the (badly rendered) orgmode home page in a buffer, an error and a backtrace
(appended), but when I evaluate (buffer-name) in the orgmode buffer, I do indeed
get

        "Org-Mode: Your Life in Plain Text"

HTH,
Nick

PS. Backtrace follows - since I usually use an external browser, I've not tried
to track down what the error is:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument symbolp (cdr (assq (quote class) munged)))
  w3-display-node((*document nil ((html ... ...))))
  w3-draw-tree(((*document nil (...))))
  w3-prepare-buffer()
  w3-fetch-callback("http://orgmode.org")
  w3-fetch-redirect-callback(nil "http://orgmode.org")
  apply(w3-fetch-redirect-callback (nil "http://orgmode.org"))
  url-http-activate-callback()
  url-http-content-length-after-change-function(13521 15498 1977)
 tp://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/index.php\">Tutorials</a>.  Worg is similar\nto a wiki in that allows community to edit the contents.  However,\nsince it uses a distributed version contr
 de is part of Emacs, which\nadheres to very strict rules.  If you would like to sign the papers,\nuse <a href=\"request-assign-future.txt\">this form</a>, fill it in and <a href=\"mailto:ass

* Re: feature request
@ 2009-03-26  4:09 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-03-26  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert D. Crawford; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Robert,

if you pull a new git version, the page title will now correctly
appear in links created in w3-mode buffers.

Thanks to all who contributed to this discussion.

- Carsten

On Mar 23, 2009, at 3:14 AM, Robert D. Crawford wrote:

> I've been trying to make an org-remember template that will grab the
> title of the webpage I want to create a link to.  This seems to not be
> possible, although I could very well be wrong.  I was curious as to
> whether a new keyword could be created for w3 and w3m links.  Seems
> that
> :title would be very useful.
>
> I am pretty sure I could code this myself... doesn't seem to be
> terribly
> difficult.  It is not likely though that I would ever contribute
> code to
> anything else, so filling out the form and waiting for all of it to
> get
> where it needs to go seems a bit of a waste.
>
> Thanks for listening,
> rdc
> --
> Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@comcast.net
>
> Every journalist has a novel in him, which is an excellent place for
> it.

* Re: feature request
@ 2009-03-26 16:43   ` Robert D. Crawford
From: Robert D. Crawford @ 2009-03-26 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello Carsten,

> if you pull a new git version, the page title will now correctly
> appear in links created in w3-mode buffers.
>
> Thanks to all who contributed to this discussion.

Thank you.  I just tested it and works well.  Exactly what I needed.

rdc
--
Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@comcast.net