* [RFC] Association list between major-mode-names and babel identifiers
@ 2014-03-13  4:49 Thorsten Jolitz
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-03-13  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi List,

due to the relatively frequent mismatches between language names
extracted from major-mode names and language identifiers used by
Org-Babel I try to build the definite translation alist between both
names.

To avoid checking myself by hand what

,-------------------
| M-: major-mode RET
`-------------------

really returns in all those modes, I would like to ask those who
actually use these languages for help. Here is the list of languages
that needs to be completed:

|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Language   | Requirements           | Identifier | M-: major-mode  | checked? |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| ABC        | abcm2ps, abc-mode      | abc        |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Asymptote  | asymptote, asy-mode    | asymptote  |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Awk        | awk                    | awk        |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| C          | none                   | C          | c-mode          | X        |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| C++        | none                   | cpp        | c++-mode        | X        |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Calc       | none                   | calc       |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Clojure    | Clojure, Clojure Mode, | clojure    |                 |          |
|            | CIDER, Leiningen       |            |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| CSS        | none                   | css        |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| D          | D                      | D          | d-mode          | X        |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Ditaa      | ditaa (bundled with    | ditaa      |                 |          |
|            | Org-mode)              |            |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Dot        | dot                    | dot        |                 |          |
| (Graphviz) |                        |            |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Emacs Lisp | none                   | emacs-lisp | emacs-lisp-mode | X        |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Eukleides  | eukleides              | eukleides  |                 |          |
|            |                        | (contrib)  |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Fomus      | fomus (music notation) | fomus      |                 |          |
|            |                        | (contrib)  |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Fortran    | fortran                | F90        |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Gnuplot    | gnuplot, gnuplot-mode  | gnuplot    |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Groovy     | Emacs-Groovy-Mode      | groovy     |                 |          |
|            |                        | (contrib)  |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Haskell    | haskell, haskell-mode, | haskell    |                 |          |
|            | inf-haskell, lhs2tex   |            |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| J          | J, j-mode              | J          |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Java       | java                   | java       |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Javascript | node.js                | js         |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Julia      | ess                    | julia      |                 |          |
|            |                        | (contrib)  |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| LaTeX      | latex, auctex, reftex  | latex      |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Ledger     | ledger                 | ledger     |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Lilypond   | lilypond music         | ly         |                 |          |
|            | notation               |            |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Lisp       | slime                  | lisp       |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Make       | none                   | makefile   |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Mathomatic | Mathomatic             | mathomatic |                 |          |
|            |                        | (contrib)  |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Matlab     | matlab, matlab.el      | matlab     |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Maxima     | maxima, Common Lisp,   | max        |                 |          |
|            | gnuplot (optional)     |            |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Mscgen     | Mscgen                 | mscgen     |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Objective  | ocaml, tuareg-mode     | ocaml      |                 |          |
| Caml       |                        |            |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Octave     | octave                 | octave     |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Org        | none                   | org        | org-mode        | X        |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| OZ         | Mozart which includes  | oz         |                 |          |
|            | a major mode           | (contrib)  |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Perl       | perl, cperl-mode       | perl       |                 |          |
|            | (optional)             |            |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Picolisp   | PicoLisp               | picolisp   | picolisp-mode   | X        |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| PlantUML   |                        | plantuml   |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Python     | python, python-mode    | python     |                 |          |
|            | (optional)             |            |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| R          | R, ess-mode,           | R          |                 |          |
|            | tikzDevice             |            | ess             | X        |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Ruby       | ruby, irb, ruby-mode,  | ruby       |                 |          |
|            | inf-ruby mode          |            |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Sass       | sass, sass-mode        | sass       |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Scala      | scala                  | scala      |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Scheme     | none                   | scheme     |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Shen       | shen                   | shen       |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| shell      | a shell                | sh         |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| SQL        | an RDBMS               | sql        |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| SQLite     | SQLite, sqlite3, SQL   | sqlite     |                 |          |
|            | mode                   |            |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Tcl        | tclsh                  | tcl        |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|

Thanks in advance for every contribution.

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: [RFC] Association list between major-mode-names and babel identifiers
@ 2014-03-13  5:04 ` Thorsten Jolitz
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-03-13  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:

> due to the relatively frequent mismatches between language names
> extracted from major-mode names and language identifiers used by
> Org-Babel I try to build the definite translation alist between both
> names.
>
> To avoid checking myself by hand what
>
> ,-------------------
> | M-: major-mode RET
> `-------------------
>
> really returns in all those modes, I would like to ask those who
> actually use these languages for help. Here is the list of languages
> that needs to be completed:
>

> |------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
> | Language | Requirements | Identifier | M-: major-mode | checked? |
> |------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
> | ABC | abcm2ps, abc-mode | abc | | |

too bad, that table did not make it to the mailing list keeping its
format ...

so here is the association list with mostly *unchecked* major-mode names
I made up purely by gut-feeling (those actually checked have an ; behind
them:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (defconst outorg-language-name-assocs
    '(("abc-mode" . abc)
      ("asymptote-mode" . asymptote)
      ("awk-mode" . awk)
      ("c-mode" . C)                      ;
      ("c++-mode" . cpp)                  ;
      ("calc-mode" . calc)
      ("clojure-mode" . clojure)
      ("css-mode" . css)
      ("d-mode" . D)                      ;
      ("ditaa-mode" . ditaa)
      ("dot-mode" . dot)
      ("emacs-lisp-mode" . emacs-lisp)    ;
      ("eukleides-mode" . eukleides)
      ("fomus-mode" . fomus)
      ("fortran-mode" . F90)
      ("gnuplot-mode" . gnuplot)
      ("groovy-mode" . groovy)
      ("haskell-mode" . haskell)
      ("j-mode" . J)
      ("java-mode" . java)
      ("javascript-mode" . js)
      ("julia-mode" . julia)
      ("latex-mode" . latex)
      ("ledger-mode" . ledger)
      ("lilypond-mode" . ly)
      ("lisp-mode" . lisp)
      ("make-mode" . makefile)
      ("mathomatic-mode" . mathomatic)
      ("matlab-mode" . matlab)
      ("maxima-mode" . max)
      ("mscgen-mode" . mscgen)
      ("objective-caml-mode" . ocaml)
      ("octave-mode" . octave)
      ("org-mode" . org)                  ;
      ("oz-mode" . oz)
      ("perl-mode" . perl)
      ("picolisp-mode" . picolisp)        ;
      ("plantuml-mode" . plantuml)
      ("python-mode" . python)
      ("ess" . R)                         ;
      ("ruby-mode" . ruby)
      ("sass-mode" . sass)
      ("scala-mode" . scala)
      ("scheme-mode" . scheme)
      ("shen-mode" . shen)
      ("shell-mode" . sh)
      ("sql-mode" . sql)
      ("sqlite-mode" . sqlite)
      ("tcl-mode" . tcl))
  "Associations between major-mode-names and org-babel language
  names.")
#+end_src

--

@ 2014-03-13  7:39   ` Andreas Leha
From: Andreas Leha @ 2014-03-13  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:

> Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> due to the relatively frequent mismatches between language names
>> extracted from major-mode names and language identifiers used by
>> Org-Babel I try to build the definite translation alist between both
>> names.
>>
>> To avoid checking myself by hand what
>>
>> ,-------------------
>> | M-: major-mode RET
>> `-------------------
>>
>> really returns in all those modes, I would like to ask those who
>> actually use these languages for help. Here is the list of languages
>> that needs to be completed:
>>

>> |------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
>> | Language | Requirements | Identifier | M-: major-mode | checked? |
>> |------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
>> | ABC | abcm2ps, abc-mode | abc | | |
>

> too bad, that table did not make it to the mailing list keeping its
> format ...

No worries.  It did come through nicely formatted for me.

[...]

- Andreas

* Re: [RFC] Association list between major-mode-names and babel identifiers
@ 2014-03-13  9:37 ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2014-03-13  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Jolitz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Thorsten,

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:

> due to the relatively frequent mismatches between language names
> extracted from major-mode names and language identifiers used by
> Org-Babel I try to build the definite translation alist between both
> names.
>
> To avoid checking myself by hand what
>
> ,-------------------
> | M-: major-mode RET
> `-------------------
>
> really returns in all those modes, I would like to ask those who
> actually use these languages for help. Here is the list of languages
> that needs to be completed:

I assume that "checked" means the language was checked in the mode
(i.e., running the major-mode command)?

Here are a few extra values. Regarding OCaml, a mode often used is
"tuareg-mode", but there are other modes for it. Since tuareg is
a requirement, I'll assume we also mean the corresponding mode has to be
used.

|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
[...]
| Calc       | none                   | calc       | calc-mode       | X        |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
[...]
| LaTeX      | latex, auctex, reftex  | latex      | latex-mode      | X        |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Ledger     | ledger                 | ledger     |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Lilypond   | lilypond music         | ly         |                 |          |
|            | notation               |            |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Lisp       | slime                  | lisp       |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Make       | none                   | makefile   |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Mathomatic | Mathomatic             | mathomatic |                 |          |
|            |                        | (contrib)  |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Matlab     | matlab, matlab.el      | matlab     |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Maxima     | maxima, Common Lisp,   | max        |                 |          |
|            | gnuplot (optional)     |            |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Mscgen     | Mscgen                 | mscgen     |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Objective  | ocaml, tuareg-mode     | ocaml      | tuareg-mode     | X        |
| Caml       |                        |            |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Octave     | octave                 | octave     |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Org        | none                   | org        | org-mode        | X        |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| OZ         | Mozart which includes  | oz         |                 |          |
|            | a major mode           | (contrib)  |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| Perl       | perl, cperl-mode       | perl       |                 |          |
|            | (optional)             |            |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
[...]
| shell      | a shell                | sh         | sh-mode         | X        |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
| SQL        | an RDBMS               | sql        |                 |          |
|------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|

@ 2014-03-13 11:54   ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-03-13 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> Hi Thorsten,
>
> Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> due to the relatively frequent mismatches between language names
>> extracted from major-mode names and language identifiers used by
>> Org-Babel I try to build the definite translation alist between both
>> names.
>>
>> To avoid checking myself by hand what
>>
>> ,-------------------
>> | M-: major-mode RET
>> `-------------------
>>
>> really returns in all those modes, I would like to ask those who
>> actually use these languages for help. Here is the list of languages
>> that needs to be completed:
>
> I assume that "checked" means the language was checked in the mode
> (i.e., running the major-mode command)?

Exactly. There might actually be a mistake from me in the table, because
I checked sometime ago and can't repeat the check right now:

it should be ess-mode instead of ess?

> Here are a few extra values. Regarding OCaml, a mode often used is
> "tuareg-mode", but there are other modes for it. Since tuareg is
> a requirement, I'll assume we also mean the corresponding mode has to be
> used.

thank you, so I marked calc, latex, ocaml, and sh as cross-ckecked now,
and unmarked R. Unfortunately the table arrives almost unreadable here,
so I rather post the current state of the association list (; means
cross-ckecked):

[...]
    (tuareg-mode . ocaml)		;
    (octave-mode . octave)
    (org-mode . org)			;
    (oz-mode . oz)
    (perl-mode . perl)
    (picolisp-mode . picolisp)		;
    (plantuml-mode . plantuml)
    (python-mode . python)
    (ess . R)
    (ruby-mode . ruby)
    (sass-mode . sass)
    (scala-mode . scala)
    (scheme-mode . scheme)
    (shen-mode . shen)
    (sh-mode . sh)			;
    (sql-mode . sql)
    (sqlite-mode . sqlite)
    (tcl-mode . tcl))
"Associations between major-mode-name and org-babel language
names.")
#+end_src

--

@ 2014-03-13 13:11     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-03-13 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:

> thank you, so I marked calc, latex, ocaml, and sh as cross-ckecked now,
> and unmarked R. Unfortunately the table arrives almost unreadable here,
> so I rather post the current state of the association list (; means
> cross-ckecked):

It's fine with gnus: as a matter of idle curiosity, what mail reader are
you using?

Nick

* Re: [RFC] Association list between major-mode-names and babel identifiers
@ 2014-03-13 14:21 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2014-03-13 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Jolitz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi List,
>
> due to the relatively frequent mismatches between language names
> extracted from major-mode names and language identifiers used by
> Org-Babel I try to build the definite translation alist between both
> names.

The `org-src-lang-modes' variable should hold this list, elements not in
the list simply append "-mode" to the end of the source name.

Best,

--
Eric Schulte
https://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* Re: [RFC] Association list between major-mode-names and babel identifiers
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-03-13 14:22 ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2014-03-13 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Thorsten Jolitz wrote:
> |------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
> | shell      | a shell                | sh         |                 |          |
> |------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|

Regarding this one, I remember some posts saying `sh' was renamed into
`shell', but I'm not sure anymore whether that was fully equivalent or
only in some edge cases.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: [RFC] Association list between major-mode-names and babel identifiers
@ 2014-03-13 16:06   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2014-03-13 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> |------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
> | Language   | Requirements           | Identifier | M-: major-mode  | checked? |
> |------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|

[...]

> |------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
> | Dot        | dot                    | dot        |                 |          |
> | (Graphviz) |                        |            |                 |          |
> |------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|

I have

(add-to-list 'org-src-lang-modes '("dot" . graphviz-dot))

in my customisations for this and the graphviz-dot-mode.el file comes
with the emacs-goodies-el package in Debian.  There may be another dot
mode around?

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.3.50.2, Org release_8.2.5h-709-g99f1ff

* Re: [RFC] Association list between major-mode-names and babel identifiers
@ 2014-03-13 16:26   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2014-03-13 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sebastien Vauban <sva-news@mygooglest.com> writes:

> Thorsten Jolitz wrote:
>> |------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
>> | shell      | a shell                | sh         |                 |          |
>> |------------+------------------------+------------+-----------------+----------|
>
> Regarding this one, I remember some posts saying `sh' was renamed into
> `shell', but I'm not sure anymore whether that was fully equivalent or
> only in some edge cases.

Currently a bash code block will be run with bash, and a shell code
block will be run with sh.  I believe both will use shell-script-mode.

--
Eric Schulte
https://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* Re: [RFC] Association list between major-mode-names and babel identifiers
@ 2014-03-14  9:11       ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-03-14  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

> Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> thank you, so I marked calc, latex, ocaml, and sh as cross-ckecked now,
>> and unmarked R. Unfortunately the table arrives almost unreadable here,
>> so I rather post the current state of the association list (; means
>> cross-ckecked):
>>

> It's fine with gnus: as a matter of idle curiosity, what mail reader are
> you using?

Funny enough - I wrote is and received it in gnus too...

--

@ 2014-03-14  9:27   ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-03-14  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi List,
>>
>> due to the relatively frequent mismatches between language names
>> extracted from major-mode names and language identifiers used by
>> Org-Babel I try to build the definite translation alist between both
>> names.
>>

> The `org-src-lang-modes' variable should hold this list, elements not in
> the list simply append "-mode" to the end of the source name.

Oh, I see ... then I don't have to replicate this.

But what about R vs ess? I started to deal with this because R-mode is
actually just a dialect of ess-mode and returns 'ess-mode' when doing
M-: major-mode. OTOH putting a buffer in ess-mode makes no sense either,
its kind of an abstract super-mode, one has to call R-mode to get
something functional.

And what about upper/lower case? Only "C" for c-mode, or "c" too?

,---------------------
`---------------------

,----------------------------
`----------------------------

--

@ 2014-03-14 11:59         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-03-14 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:

> Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> thank you, so I marked calc, latex, ocaml, and sh as cross-ckecked now,
>>> and unmarked R. Unfortunately the table arrives almost unreadable here,
>>> so I rather post the current state of the association list (; means
>>> cross-ckecked):
>>>

>> It's fine with gnus: as a matter of idle curiosity, what mail reader are
>> you using?
>
> Funny enough - I wrote is and received it in gnus too...

The only thing that I can think of that would mess it up would be a
non-monospaced font then.

--
Nick

* Re: [RFC] Association list between major-mode-names and babel identifiers
@ 2014-03-14 12:25           ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-03-14 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

> Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

>>> It's fine with gnus: as a matter of idle curiosity, what mail reader are
>>> you using?
>>
>> Funny enough - I wrote is and received it in gnus too...
>
> The only thing that I can think of that would mess it up would be a
> non-monospaced font then.

I'm on the console with sun12x22 font ...

--
cheers,
Thorsten