* How to combine the analogue (Moleskine) world with digital (org-mode) world ?
@ 2010-01-24 14:09 Torsten Wagner
                   ` (6 more replies)
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2010-01-24 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear all,

I really tried hard over the last year to use org-mode as much as
possible. It was already mentioned that, due to the incredible
org-mode features, this becomes fast more a religious rather then a
working task. Thus, my work flow changed more and more to a org-mode
flow. And now they even start this babel thing.... ;)

I'm very very happy with this.

However, not all my work is just in front of a computer. And the world
is until know still analogue with sometimes even more analogue
colleagues ;). Often I get some appointments or something I like to
write down "on the way", at the bus, during the coffee-break, etc. I
can make some notes on a piece of scratch papers and try to add them
later to my org-mode system. But you know... no paper... no pen...
lost the scratch paper... no time to transfer it to the PC etc. For
many reasons this does not work well for me.
I tried to a portable version of emacs+org-mode on my PDA. This works
well, since it is a clamshell keyboard based PDA (Sharp Zaurus). For
me this is still a bit ineffective compared to a paper and pen
solution since it would require to sync home- , work-place and the PDA
constantly (e.g., by using git). However, my PDA is not on-line most
of the time, due to the lack of wireless access points. And murphys
law always make sure it run out of juice whenever I need it really
badly...

Thus, today I bought one of these moleskine paper organizers (no
advertisement, all other organizers would be nice as well). I hope to
have it always with me and to use it in all this cases where I do not
have access to org-mode ( I'm still waiting that someone comes up with
a org-mode-brain interface).

My question is now. What would be the best way to combine the
moleskine and org-mode ? Does someone have experience  with a paper
based and digital mixture system? One of my ideas was to print out the
weekly or monthly agenda as small as possible and just attach it to
the molenskine (it has a little card holder at the back). This would
allow me to check what is in my org-mode agenda. However, I would
still have two independent systems.

What I'am looking for is a smart way to keep both in sync and that
without big hassle. It has to be something which does the job quite
quick thus I will do it directly e.g., every morning before starting
work... instead of pushing and pushing it away from me. Thought maybe
I simply mark the entries in the paper version whether I added them to
org-mode already or not and create a tag in org-mode for the vice
versa reason.

Any ideas and experience would be welcome.

Best Greetings

Torsten

* Re: How to combine the analogue (Moleskine) world with digital (org-mode) world ?
@ 2010-01-24 14:45 ` Leo
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Leo @ 2010-01-24 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2010-01-24 14:09 +0000, Torsten Wagner wrote:
> My question is now. What would be the best way to combine the
> moleskine and org-mode ? Does someone have experience with a paper
> based and digital mixture system? One of my ideas was to print out the
> weekly or monthly agenda as small as possible and just attach it to
> the molenskine (it has a little card holder at the back). This would
> allow me to check what is in my org-mode agenda. However, I would
> still have two independent systems.

In my view, the effort it takes to maintain such a mixed system might be
too high. And it becomes worse when you need to exchange information
between the two subsystems. Unfortunately I can't see an easy solution
to this. I probably will get an iphone (or any capable portable device)
that can run a full-featured gtd system and sync with other devices (pc,
maybe some gtd websites etc.), ie I will go for an all-digital solution.
I used to have a 1st gen iphone and I used the voice recording and
camera to collect items. I have found these two features valuable ;)

Best wishes,

Leo

* Re: How to combine the analogue (Moleskine) world with digital (org-mode) world ?
@ 2010-01-24 15:16 ` Manish
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Manish @ 2010-01-24 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Torsten Wagner; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 7:39 PM, Torsten Wagner wrote:
[...]
> Thus, today I bought one of these moleskine paper organizers
> (no advertisement, all other organizers would be nice as
> well). I hope to have it always with me and to use it in all
> this cases where I do not have access to org-mode ( I'm still
> waiting that someone comes up with a org-mode-brain interface).
>
> My question is now. What would be the best way to combine the
> moleskine and org-mode ? Does someone have experience with a
> paper based and digital mixture system? One of my ideas was to
> print out the weekly or monthly agenda as small as possible and
> just attach it to the molenskine (it has a little card holder
> at the back). This would allow me to check what is in my
> org-mode agenda. However, I would still have two independent
> systems.
>
> What I'am looking for is a smart way to keep both in sync and
> that without big hassle. It has to be something which does the
> job quite quick thus I will do it directly e.g., every morning
> before starting work... instead of pushing and pushing it away
> from me. Thought maybe I simply mark the entries in the paper
> version whether I added them to org-mode already or not and
> create a tag in org-mode for the vice versa reason.
>
> Any ideas and experience would be welcome.

I am also beginning with something similar.  My plan is to print the
day's agenda every morning (or previous night) and may be fold it
like pocketmod [1] using Christian Egli's org2pocketMod [2].  Then
the digital system can be updated at the end of the day.

1. http://www.pocketmod.com/
2. http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg04044.html

Regards
--
Manish

* Re: How to combine the analogue (Moleskine) world with digital (org-mode) world ?
@ 2010-01-24 15:20   ` Greg Newman
From: Greg Newman @ 2010-01-24 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I've been using my moleskine in conjunction with org-mode for a long
time but not really structured in any way.  I typically only use the
moleskine
as an inbox and phone journal.  If I find that my notes belong in my agenda
then they get entered in my org files.  As far as going from org to my
moleskine
I don't bother with that approach mainly because (1) it would be redundant
for me
to and (2) I rely on the clocks in org-mode as I work.

@ 2010-01-24 21:18     ` Raimund Kohl-Füchsle
From: Raimund Kohl-Füchsle @ 2010-01-24 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am a "heavy note taker" and also running org-mode and paper. Paper has
advantages mostly when thinking slowly and may be more reflective. Computer
has its advantages when it comes to organizing stuff.

What works for me is running a leporella calendar for appointments - for
this thing can come along with me no matter where I go. Notes I do take
where ever I am with whatsover is available. And I have set aside a
repetitive appointment with myself to go through all the notes and to find
out what to do with what.

Remaining are the todo-lists. They come wonderfuly out of orgmode - and all
I was to find out was how to plan ahead my next week. How do I do that?
Easy. I go through all the notes I've taken and decide, what to do with it.

A last note on what I was to find out: Don't try to be too sharp - a little
chaos left is kind of a little salt for the soup ... :-)

Good luck :-)

ray

* Re: How to combine the analogue (Moleskine) world with digital (org-mode) world ?
@ 2010-01-25  3:35 ` Charles Cave
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Charles Cave @ 2010-01-25  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Torsten Wagner <torsten.wagner <at> gmail.com> writes:
> Any ideas and experience would be welcome.

I have a similar experience to you.   I run org-mode on my office
computer and home computer and synchronise the files via USB drive
and Python backup script.

After using an A5 sized notebook for an almost paper-based system,
I decided to be as close to 100% orgmode as possible. I treat
org-mode as my primary system and anything I capture on paper
gets transferred to org-mode when convenient.

I bought an A5 sized (5.5 x 8/5 inches / 14 x 21cm)
student diary - one week to an opening with the 7 days on the
left and a page for notes on the right. I use this for note taking
and writing in very important dates, but I still refer to the
org-mode file as the master reference.  This diary cost $3.50 ...
quite a bargain.

My other idea capture and note taking tool are 3 x 5 inch
system cards. I cut up scrap paper into this size and keep several
handy in my shirt pocket and a pencil. I can jot down notes any time
and transfer what is important when I am back at the computer.

Printing a weekly agenda from org-mode is a handy motivational
tool. I make it a game/challenge to cross everything off the list.
The act of crossing something off a printed list is more rewarding
and motivational than  C-c C-t d  (DONE) in org-mode :-)

Charles

* Re: How to combine the analogue (Moleskine) world with digital (org-mode) world ?
@ 2010-01-25  6:49       ` Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2010-01-25  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Ray,

> I am a "heavy note taker" and also running org-mode and paper. Paper has
> advantages mostly when thinking slowly and may be more reflective. Computer
> has its advantages when it comes to organizing stuff.

Unfortunately, I'm not this heavy note taker guy... I always thought ... ahh I
can remember it later...
However, either I'm aging or things becomes more complex... whatever, I get
more and more problems to keep things in my mind.
The problem is that both methods have so many advantages. Ideally I would like
to see a tiny slim e-ink based organizer with keyboard purley optimized to run
org-mode and a battery life time of at least 2 weeks.
Something like this...
http://www.kingjim.co.jp/pomera/index.html (it has no e-ink and does run an
unkown OS)

> A last note on what I was to find out: Don't try to be too sharp - a little
> chaos left is kind of a little salt for the soup ... :-)

Yeah I notice to make the last 5% of yourself and your sourounding acting
organized in your prefered way cost 95% of the time you like to spend on
organisation... thus, it is a waste of time...

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Totti

* Re: Re: How to combine the analogue (Moleskine) world with digital (org-mode) world ?
@ 2010-01-25  7:01   ` Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2010-01-25  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> In my view, the effort it takes to maintain such a mixed system might be
> too high. And it becomes worse when you need to exchange information
> between the two subsystems. Unfortunately I can't see an easy solution
> to this. I probably will get an iphone (or any capable portable device)
> that can run a full-featured gtd system and sync with other devices (pc,
> maybe some gtd websites etc.), ie I will go for an all-digital solution.
> I used to have a 1st gen iphone and I used the voice recording and
> camera to collect items. I have found these two features valuable ;)

I tried now for some time a pure digital way. However, at least for me that
fails for two many reasons.
Thus, I'm looking to strike a balance between both ways trying to grep the
best from both sides.
Please let me add that in my personal opinion a iphone is not really a big
help. A device without keyboard is a real pain for note-taking. I tried it
with a keyboard based PDA. But even the simple task
to move it out of my bag,
switch it on,
move to the right buffer (I even used emacs + org-mode natively),
add the note,
switch it off,
and put it back in the bag,
was something which prevents me to use the PDA for smaller note taking tasks.

I guess a keyboard free system which requires you to carefully type letter for
letter on a silkscreen is even a more worse note-taking stopper.
However, this is only my opinion

Thanks for sharing your thoughts

Best regards

Torsten

* Re: Re: How to combine the analogue (Moleskine) world with digital (org-mode) world ?
@ 2010-01-25  7:11   ` Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2010-01-25  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> I have a similar experience to you.   I run org-mode on my office
> computer and home computer and synchronise the files via USB drive
> and Python backup script.

If you have access to a sever... try to use git. There is a emacs mode and by
opening your org-file on either the home or work-pc you could directly ask to
sync it with your server. By this way syncing becomes a single key-stroke
In addition you have access to all changes over time. If you mess up you can
restore it and if you miss to sync both systems git is very helpful to merge
both versions into a single version again.

> I bought an A5 sized (5.5 x 8/5 inches / 14 x 21cm)
> student diary - one week to an opening with the 7 days on the
> left and a page for notes on the right. I use this for note taking
> and writing in very important dates, but I still refer to the
> org-mode file as the master reference.  This diary cost $3.50 ...
> quite a bargain.

For the same reason I bought the moleskine. A bit more expensive but I thought
it has to hold the harsh environments in my pocket for one year and I noticed
that mid of January shops like to get rid of calendars urgently and greatly
discount them ;)

> My other idea capture and note taking tool are 3 x 5 inch
> system cards. I cut up scrap paper into this size and keep several
> handy in my shirt pocket and a pencil. I can jot down notes any time
> and transfer what is important when I am back at the computer.

I tried this but always messed up with lost cards, messed up cards, etc. Thus
I was looking for a more "stable" version.

> Printing a weekly agenda from org-mode is a handy motivational
> tool. I make it a game/challenge to cross everything off the list.
> The act of crossing something off a printed list is more rewarding
> and motivational than  C-c C-t d  (DONE) in org-mode :-)

That is definitely right. Maybe someone should try to implement a more
attractive C-c C-t d in org-mode.

Thanks for the ideas

@ 2010-01-25  7:41     ` Ben Finney
From: Ben Finney @ 2010-01-25  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Torsten Wagner <torsten.wagner@gmail.com> writes:

> > I have a similar experience to you. I run org-mode on my office
> > computer and home computer and synchronise the files via USB drive
> > and Python backup script.
>
> If you have access to a sever... try to use git.

Any distributed version control system (DVCS) will do the job here, so
I'd recommend to choose one that is easy to learn and use. For that
purpose I'd recommend Bazaar <URL:http://bazaar-vcs.org/>.

The Emacs ‘vc’ mode works correctly with Bazaar repositories (as well as
others, I believe).

Of course, if you're *already* familiar and happy with a DVCS, use that.

> > My other idea capture and note taking tool are 3 x 5 inch system
> > cards. I cut up scrap paper into this size and keep several handy in
> > my shirt pocket and a pencil. I can jot down notes any time and
> > transfer what is important when I am back at the computer.
>
> I tried this but always messed up with lost cards, messed up cards,
> etc. Thus I was looking for a more "stable" version.

I keep my 3×5in cards in a specialied wallet, which I found advertised
for the purpose of holding a portable hard drive and a screwdriver
(presumably for computer professionals to carry a diagnostic and repair
kit). The dimensions were perfect for a stack of cards and a comfortable
pen, so I bought it on that basis and have been very happy with it for
several years of constant use.

--
 \         “Faith may be defined briefly as an illogical belief in the |
  `\                  occurrence of the improbable.” —Henry L. Mencken |

* Re: Re: How to combine the analogue (Moleskine) world with digital (org-mode) world ?
@ 2010-01-25  9:06     ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2010-01-25  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-orgmode

>> I bought an A5 sized (5.5 x 8/5 inches / 14 x 21cm)
>> student diary - one week to an opening with the 7 days on the
>> left and a page for notes on the right. I use this for note taking
>> and writing in very important dates, but I still refer to the
>> org-mode file as the master reference.  This diary cost $3.50 ...
>> quite a bargain.
>
> For the same reason I bought the moleskine. A bit more expensive but I thought
> it has to hold the harsh environments in my pocket for one year and I noticed
> that mid of January shops like to get rid of calendars urgently and greatly
> discount them ;)
>
>> My other idea capture and note taking tool are 3 x 5 inch
>> system cards. I cut up scrap paper into this size and keep several
>> handy in my shirt pocket and a pencil. I can jot down notes any time
>> and transfer what is important when I am back at the computer.
>
> I tried this but always messed up with lost cards, messed up cards, etc. Thus
> I was looking for a more "stable" version.

You might want to look at dial2do.com and reqall.com. Not sure if they
have local servers in your location. I find them useful for short notes.
I simply phone them, leave my message and it gets transcribed into
something approaching what I actually said. I then run a script which
downloads the rss feed from the service and adds it to my task list.

There is org-feed.el and my Python script on github, either of which can
grab the rss feed and append new items to an org file.

Ian.

* Re: How to combine the analogue (Moleskine) world with digital (org-mode) world ?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-01-25 10:03 ` Eric S Fraga
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-01-25 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Torsten Wagner; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

At Sun, 24 Jan 2010 23:09:27 +0900,
Torsten Wagner wrote:
> However, not all my work is just in front of a computer. And the world

[...]

> My question is now. What would be the best way to combine the
> moleskine and org-mode ? Does someone have experience  with a paper

[...]

> Any ideas and experience would be welcome.

In the "olden days" (as my son says), I used to run a mixed system
(well beore org-mode days, mind you).  The best working scenario for
me was the following:

- every Sunday, I would go through my paper diary, a Filofax (tm), and
  transfer any new/changed items to my electronic version.
- I would then print off the next month's calendar in "week per two
  pages" form compatible my Filofax.
- during the week, I would tend to work only on paper if I wasn't at
  my desk but, even at the desk, I would update both paper and
  computer simultaneously with new/changed entries.  Any such entries
  would be "ticked" on the paper so that I knew that I had already
  incorporated them into the computer version.

Eventually, I gave up and bought a Psion 3 (the original incarnation,
then a 3a and finally a 3mx) which I carried with me all the time!  My
3mx died early this century and I have been struggling ever since.
The Psion was absolutely fantastic, an example of engineering (both
hardware and software) at its best!

I now have org-mode which is fantastic in terms of the software end
(and in many ways is reminiscent of the Psion) but the hardware end is
lagging [1].  I now use a combination of systems: desktop PCs at work
and home, netbook (Asus EEE) on the move with a Nokia internet tablet
(N810) for those times when the netbook is too inconvenient
(e.g. impromptu lunchtime meetings).  Everything is synchronised using
git.

This all works well enough but I still would like a single pocketable
computer that I could use in all scenarios.  The Nokia's keyboard and
screen are just a little too small, especially the keyboard.  I am
hopeful that a more usable system will come out this year as many
mobile internet devices [MID] and ultra-mobile PCs (UMPC) were
announced last year.  The UMID &co. look promising.  Maybe the
Pandora!  Possibly one of the Android phones but probably not.

I won't get an iPhone as I don't like the proprietary nature of the
software [2].  I want Linux or equivalent with org-mode!

HTH,
eric

Footnotes:
[1]  and this is *not* Carsten's fault ;-)

[2]  yes, the Psion ran proprietary software as well but, partly
     because of being orphaned by them, I no longer am willing to end
     up beholden to a single company's system!

* Re: How to combine the analogue (Moleskine) world with digital (org-mode) world ?
@ 2010-01-25 13:55   ` Christian Egli
From: Christian Egli @ 2010-01-25 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Manish <mailtomanish.sharma@gmail.com> writes:

> I am also beginning with something similar.  My plan is to print the
> day's agenda every morning (or previous night) and may be fold it
> like pocketmod [1] using Christian Egli's org2pocketMod [2].  Then

org2pocketMod has been renamed to org2hpda and has been included in
org-mode for ages (see
http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode.git/blob/HEAD:/contrib/scripts/org2hpda).

I'm not using it anymore, so I can't comment on its usefulness.

--
Christian Egli

* Re: How to combine the analogue (Moleskine) world with digital (org-mode) world ?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-01-25 16:34 ` Jonathan Arkell
From: Jonathan Arkell @ 2010-01-25 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Torsten Wagner; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

I have been using a combined Paper/org-mode system for awhile now.  i think the main thing is to have org as your primary system, and the paper system as a collection/rumination point.

whenever I have an incoming action item, and I am nowhere near my computer, I add it to an on-going todo list inside of my note-book.  Every morning I have a repeating task that is to take everything my notebook, and put it inside of the relevant place in org-mode.  Once that is done, I check off that item in my todo list in my notebook.  It's not that it is DONE per-sae, but it has been captured.

I also have a notebook tag, so that if I need to, I can print out an agenda for stuffing into my notebook. This is mostly for shopping lists, or things I need to spend some time thinking about.  Any action items that come out of that would get added to my todo list in my notebook, and then back into the system.

Hope that helps!

__________________________________

Jonathan Arkell
Tech Lead
Inspired By Drum & Bass, Scheme, Kawaii

p. 403.206.4377

402 -- 11th Ave SE
Calgary, AB, Canada T2G 0Y4

jonathana@criticalmass.com
criticalmass.com

On Jan 24, 2010, at 7:09 AM, Torsten Wagner wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I really tried hard over the last year to use org-mode as much as
> possible. It was already mentioned that, due to the incredible
> org-mode features, this becomes fast more a religious rather then a
> working task. Thus, my work flow changed more and more to a org-mode
> flow. And now they even start this babel thing.... ;)
>
> I'm very very happy with this.
>
> However, not all my work is just in front of a computer. And the world
> is until know still analogue with sometimes even more analogue
> colleagues ;). Often I get some appointments or something I like to
> write down "on the way", at the bus, during the coffee-break, etc. I
> can make some notes on a piece of scratch papers and try to add them
> later to my org-mode system. But you know... no paper... no pen...
> lost the scratch paper... no time to transfer it to the PC etc. For
> many reasons this does not work well for me.
> I tried to a portable version of emacs+org-mode on my PDA. This works
> well, since it is a clamshell keyboard based PDA (Sharp Zaurus). For
> me this is still a bit ineffective compared to a paper and pen
> solution since it would require to sync home- , work-place and the PDA
> constantly (e.g., by using git). However, my PDA is not on-line most
> of the time, due to the lack of wireless access points. And murphys
> law always make sure it run out of juice whenever I need it really
> badly...
>
> Thus, today I bought one of these moleskine paper organizers (no
> advertisement, all other organizers would be nice as well). I hope to
> have it always with me and to use it in all this cases where I do not
> have access to org-mode ( I'm still waiting that someone comes up with
> a org-mode-brain interface).
>
> My question is now. What would be the best way to combine the
> moleskine and org-mode ? Does someone have experience  with a paper
> based and digital mixture system? One of my ideas was to print out the
> weekly or monthly agenda as small as possible and just attach it to
> the molenskine (it has a little card holder at the back). This would
> allow me to check what is in my org-mode agenda. However, I would
> still have two independent systems.
>
> What I'am looking for is a smart way to keep both in sync and that
> without big hassle. It has to be something which does the job quite
> quick thus I will do it directly e.g., every morning before starting
> work... instead of pushing and pushing it away from me. Thought maybe
> I simply mark the entries in the paper version whether I added them to
> org-mode already or not and create a tag in org-mode for the vice
> versa reason.
>
> Any ideas and experience would be welcome.
>
> Best Greetings
>
> Torsten

The information contained in this message is confidential. It is intended to be read only by the individual or entity named above or their designee. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any distribution of this message, in any form, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete or destroy any copy of this message.

* Re: How to combine the analogue (Moleskine) world with digital (org-mode) world ?
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-01-25 18:39 ` Austin Frank
From: Austin Frank @ 2010-01-25 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Jan 24 2010, Torsten Wagner wrote:

> What I'am looking for is a smart way to keep both in sync and that
> without big hassle. It has to be something which does the job quite
> quick thus I will do it directly e.g., every morning before starting
> work... instead of pushing and pushing it away from me. Thought maybe
> I simply mark the entries in the paper version whether I added them to
> org-mode already or not and create a tag in org-mode for the vice
> versa reason.

The moleskine notebooks are VERY nice and I love the construction
quality and feel of them.  Unfortunately, this exact feature kept me
From using what ended up being the most effective strategy.  When I'm
being good and keeping analog and org in sync, it's because I am
making one note per page and indiscriminately tearing them out of my
notebook as I process them.  Nowadays I keep a cheaper flimsier notebook
in my back pocket at all times [1].  In addition to letting me
guiltlessly destroy the thing, it's also more comfortable to sit on.

I don't have a great system for going back the other direction, but am
at my computer often enough to make that process less important to me.

HTH,
/au

[1] http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/323629/Office-Depot-Brand-Mini-Marble-Composition/

--
Austin Frank
http://aufrank.net

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 194 bytes --]

* Re: Re: How to combine the analogue (Moleskine) world with digital (org-mode) world ?
@ 2010-01-25 21:32   ` Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2010-01-25 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 4:39 AM, Austin Frank <austin.frank@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 24 2010, Torsten Wagner wrote:
> notebook as I process them.  Nowadays I keep a cheaper flimsier notebook
> in my back pocket at all times [1].  In addition to letting me
> guiltlessly destroy the thing, it's also more comfortable to sit on.

I can't offer much in the way of suggestions for syncing org-mode with
meat-space (notebooks).  I do know something about field notebooks,
however.  I am used to carrying around a notebook in a waist pouch (some of
the locals call them "thunder bags"), and have been doing so for years.  The
best notebooks I have found for general use are those I have cut from marble
covered composition books.  At the printer's I pay a couple of dollars to
have a stack of three or four notebooks cut into convenient sizes.  These
books are about 19 x 25 CM.  Whatever works.  I have them cut into sizes
convenient for whichever brand of pouch I am carrying, usually about 7.5 x
4.5 inches (11 x 19 cm, or so), sometimes smaller.  As a side benefit,
leftovers forml smaller notebooks of various sizes.   They are sewn, so no
metal to rust, and the thick cardboard covers are ideal.  They hold up much
better than the little mini-marble notebooks.   Printers use Guillotine
knives, and can easily trim a stack of notebooks to any desired size.  Cheap
and available almost anywhere (?).

After a typhoon destroyed my home some years ago, the only notebooks that
were salvable were these comp books.  Pencil notes are generally readable,
but  not always.  Some people use ball point pens in the tropics.  Duing
three years of undergraduate work, when I was taking notes constantly, I
experimented with many types of fountain pens, for water proof, india and
drawing inks.  I found a Mont Blanc fountain pen in about 1985 that was
fairly cheap at the time (not anymore, I'm afraid) that held up better than
any other, and never clogged, even with India Ink.  Eventually I even used
these pens as a laboratory pen, for writing labels and lab notes.   I don't
know whether Mont Blanc manufactures them anymore, but the pens I have seen
in duty free shops are far too expensive for me.

In my case, field notes were eventually typed into a sort of free-form
database in what linguists refer to as "band format."   I now have a
remember template for transcribing notes into this format.

More than anyone wanted or needed to know, for what it's worth.

Alan Davis

* Re: How to combine the analogue (Moleskine) world with digital (org-mode) world ?
@ 2010-01-26 22:26   ` Daniel Martins
From: Daniel Martins @ 2010-01-26 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: e.fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I use a small notebook with small pen as shown in

http://www.upgradeinfoshop.com.br/admin/produtos/8186.jpg

or

http://www.livrariagraf.com.br/ecommerce_produtos_ver_foto.php?id=989

BTW I have to thank Eric for his (always excellent) post!!!

Daniel

                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-01-27 22:54 ` Jason Dunsmore
From: Jason Dunsmore @ 2010-01-27 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Torsten Wagner <torsten.wagner@gmail.com> writes:

> My question is now. What would be the best way to combine the
> moleskine and org-mode ? Does someone have experience  with a paper
> based and digital mixture system?

I used to use similar clunky mixed org and paper systems, but this
thread just inspired me to write the following function which solves the
problem for me.  The function will allow me to non-interactively add a
message to the "Inbox" section of my Org file.

(defun phone-remember (file note)
  (interactive)
  (find-file (concat "~/repo/org/" file ".org"))
  (goto-line 5)
  (org-show-entry)
  (insert (concat "** TODO " note "\n")))

I put the following procmail rule in place to trigger that function from
my cell phone:

:0
* ^From.*1234567890@VTEXT.COM
* ^Subject: Todo \/.*
| emacsclient.emacs-snapshot -e "(phone-remember \"todo\" \"${MATCH}\")"

So I just email myself a note from my phone staring with "Todo" and it
gets added to my todo list.

I just tested it out, and it works really well!

I run emacs in daemon mode, but the same could be done with just the
emacs command.  It might fit into others' systems better if org-remember
is somehow called non-interactively.  That way, your org-remember
templates would be available.  Please let me know if someone figures out
how to do this.

Regards,
Jason