* Headline with 2 timestamps is displayed only once in the agenda
@ 2009-04-21  9:03 Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-04-21  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I have this entry in an org-file.

** Übung Grundlagen der Softwaretechnik (B 016)        :teaching:
   <2009-04-22 Wed 08:30-10:00 +1w>
   <2009-04-29 Wed 10:15-11:45> (Für Hannes übernehmen)

I expect it to be displayed every wednesday after 2009-04-22 for
08:30-10:00 and on 2009-04-29 it should be displayed twice: one at the
usual time and one for 10:15-11:45.

But the agenda shows only the regular entry (08:30-10:00) and omitts the
exception.  If I reorder the timestamps, so that the exception comes
first, only the exception will be shown on 2009-04-29.  Every other
wednesday shows the regular repeater date.

What do I have to do to make that entry showing up twice on 29th April?

BTW: Is it possible to specify an end date for repeating events?
Currently I just deactivate timestamps when they're obsolete, but
sometimes I'd like to check which appointments I had some month ago.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Headline with 2 timestamps is displayed only once in the agenda
@ 2009-04-21  9:38 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-04-21  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 21, 2009, at 11:03 AM, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have this entry in an org-file.

> ** Übung Grundlagen der Softwaretechnik (B 016)        :teaching:
>   <2009-04-22 Wed 08:30-10:00 +1w>
>   <2009-04-29 Wed 10:15-11:45> (Für Hannes übernehmen)
>
> I expect it to be displayed every wednesday after 2009-04-22 for
> 08:30-10:00 and on 2009-04-29 it should be displayed twice: one at the
> usual time and one for 10:15-11:45.
>
> But the agenda shows only the regular entry (08:30-10:00) and omitts
> the
> exception.  If I reorder the timestamps, so that the exception comes
> first, only the exception will be shown on 2009-04-29.  Every other
> wednesday shows the regular repeater date.
>
> What do I have to do to make that entry showing up twice on 29th
> April?

Make the second one a SCHEDULED time stamp, for example.
When Org collects entries for the day, it goes through
the files, once for plain time stamps, once for scheduled,
once for deadlines.  When an entry matches, it stops
looking for timestamps in the same entry.  So you need
to make the stamps of different kind to make them show
up both.

> BTW: Is it possible to specify an end date for repeating events?

No, except if you use a diary sexp in the time stamp.  But not with
native Org syntax.

- Carsten

@ 2009-04-21 16:00   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-04-21 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

>> What do I have to do to make that entry showing up twice on 29th
>> April?
>
> Make the second one a SCHEDULED time stamp, for example.  When Org
> collects entries for the day, it goes through the files, once for
> plain time stamps, once for scheduled, once for deadlines.  When an
> entry matches, it stops looking for timestamps in the same entry.  So
> you need to make the stamps of different kind to make them show up
> both.

Hm, ok, that works.  But what if I have to enter a few other exceptions?
What do other people do in that situation?  Add a subheading with all
exception dates?

Why does org stop with the first match?  Efficiency?  At least I don't
care about that, so if this could be made customizable I wouldn't
object.

>> BTW: Is it possible to specify an end date for repeating events?
>
> No, except if you use a diary sexp in the time stamp.  But not with
> native Org syntax.

Ok, thanks.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
No person,  no idea, and no  religion deserves to be  illegal to insult,
not even the Church of Emacs. (Richard M. Stallman)

* Re: Re: Headline with 2 timestamps is displayed only once in the agenda
@ 2009-04-22  8:34     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-04-22  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 21, 2009, at 6:00 PM, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Hi Carsten,
>
>>> What do I have to do to make that entry showing up twice on 29th
>>> April?
>>
>> Make the second one a SCHEDULED time stamp, for example.  When Org
>> collects entries for the day, it goes through the files, once for
>> plain time stamps, once for scheduled, once for deadlines.  When an
>> entry matches, it stops looking for timestamps in the same entry.  So
>> you need to make the stamps of different kind to make them show up
>> both.
>
> Hm, ok, that works.  But what if I have to enter a few other
> exceptions?
> What do other people do in that situation?  Add a subheading with all
> exception dates?
>
> Why does org stop with the first match?  Efficiency?  At least I don't
> care about that, so if this could be made customizable I wouldn't
> object.

Efficiency, and to avoid cluttering if you have recorded
several time stamps in an entry.  See, the problem is that
all these lines will look exactly the same in the agenda,
because they all show the same headline!

However, I do see that your applications, with a different
time-of-day, does in fact make sense.

Anyway, get the latest version and do

    (setq org-agenda-find-multiple-timestamps-per-entry t)

Question to everyone:  Should this be the default?

- Carsten

@ 2009-04-22  8:47       ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-04-22  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

>> Why does org stop with the first match?  Efficiency?  At least I
>> don't care about that, so if this could be made customizable I
>> wouldn't object.
>
> Efficiency, and to avoid cluttering if you have recorded several time
> stamps in an entry.  See, the problem is that all these lines will
> look exactly the same in the agenda, because they all show the same
> headline!
>
> However, I do see that your applications, with a different
> time-of-day, does in fact make sense.
>
> Anyway, get the latest version and do
>
>    (setq org-agenda-find-multiple-timestamps-per-entry t)

Carsten, you are incredible!

> Question to everyone:  Should this be the default?

I tend to t.  If an entry has more than one timestamp for a day, then
it looks like an exception to me.  If not, then the entry should have a
better structure, i.e. if it was

* Some meeting with Hugo
  <2009-04-22 Wed>
  - breakfast <2009-04-22 Wed 09:44>
  - lunch <2009-04-22 Wed 12:44>

it should better be:

* Some meeting with Hugo
  <2009-04-22 Wed>
** breakfast <2009-04-22 Wed 09:44>
** lunch <2009-04-22 Wed 12:44>

Or if you don't want the breakfast and lunch in the agenda anyway, one
could use 09:44 or an inactive timestamp instead.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
VI VI VI - The Roman Number Of The Beast

* Re: Headline with 2 timestamps is displayed only once in the agenda
@ 2009-04-22 19:21       ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-04-22 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Tassilo Horn, emacs-orgmode

> Anyway, get the latest version and do
>
>    (setq org-agenda-find-multiple-timestamps-per-entry t)
>
> Question to everyone:  Should this be the default?

I don't think I ever use more than one timestamp per entry.

As long as there is no noticeable performance hit then I have no
preference for what the default is.

-Bernt

PS. I can't find this variable in the latest git sources so I couldn't
    try it myself to see if there was a noticeable performance hit.

    It seems the variable is really
    org-agenda-skip-additional-timestamps-same-entry instead.

    Toggling this variable doesn't seem to change how long the agenda
    displays for me.

* Re: Headline with 2 timestamps is displayed only once in the agenda
@ 2009-04-22 20:09         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-04-22 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Tassilo Horn, emacs-orgmode

On Apr 22, 2009, at 9:21 PM, Bernt Hansen wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Anyway, get the latest version and do
>>
>>   (setq org-agenda-find-multiple-timestamps-per-entry t)
>>
>> Question to everyone:  Should this be the default?
>
> I don't think I ever use more than one timestamp per entry.
>
> As long as there is no noticeable performance hit then I have no
> preference for what the default is.
>
> -Bernt
>
> PS. I can't find this variable in the latest git sources so I couldn't
>    try it myself to see if there was a noticeable performance hit.
>
>    It seems the variable is really
>    org-agenda-skip-additional-timestamps-same-entry instead.

Yes, I went back and forth between these two names.  However,
all the other vriables doing similar stuff are called -skip-,
so I decided to do the same here.  Sorry for the mixup.

>    Toggling this variable doesn't seem to change how long the agenda
>    displays for me.

It does for me.  With Tassilos original example:

* Übung Grundlagen der Softwaretechnik (B 016)			   :teaching:
  <2009-04-22 Wed 08:30-10:00 +1w>
  <2009-04-29 Wed 10:15-11:45> (Für Hannes übernehmen)

I get either one or two entries on April 29.....

- Carsten

* Re: Headline with 2 timestamps is displayed only once in the agenda
@ 2009-04-22 20:16           ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-04-22 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, emacs-orgmode

>>    Toggling this variable doesn't seem to change how long the agenda
>>    displays for me.
>
> It does for me.  With Tassilos original example:
>
> * Übung Grundlagen der Softwaretechnik (B 016)			   :teaching:
>  <2009-04-22 Wed 08:30-10:00 +1w>
>  <2009-04-29 Wed 10:15-11:45> (Für Hannes übernehmen)
>
> I get either one or two entries on April 29.....

I think Bernt meant that he doesn't notice a difference in how long it
takes till the agenda is displayed.  Same for me, with 5 org-files with
about 2000 lines in total.

@ 2009-04-22 20:25             ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-04-22 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, emacs-orgmode

On Apr 22, 2009, at 10:16 PM, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>>   Toggling this variable doesn't seem to change how long the agenda
>>>   displays for me.
>>
>> It does for me.  With Tassilos original example:
>>
>> * Übung Grundlagen der Softwaretechnik (B 016)			   :teaching:
>> <2009-04-22 Wed 08:30-10:00 +1w>
>> <2009-04-29 Wed 10:15-11:45> (Für Hannes übernehmen)
>>
>> I get either one or two entries on April 29.....
>
> I think Bernt meant that he doesn't notice a difference in how long it
> takes till the agenda is displayed.

Ahh, of course.

- Carsten

@ 2009-04-22 22:02               ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-04-22 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Tassilo Horn, emacs-orgmode

> On Apr 22, 2009, at 10:16 PM, Tassilo Horn wrote:
>
>> I think Bernt meant that he doesn't notice a difference in how long it
>> takes till the agenda is displayed.
>
> Ahh, of course.

Yes that's what I meant :)

-Bernt