* Changing variable defaults.
@ 2009-02-01 14:27 Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-01 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org Org-Mode

Hi,

wow, what a treat to read all those customizations everyone has made!
This has been extremely interesting for me, reminded me of some
customizations I had forgotten, and re-inforced the idea that
lots of variables is a good thing.

while Manish is digging through and organizing the
customizations everyone has sent in (this will be fun
to analyze and study!), I have take a quick look with view on
changing defaults.  Here is what I currently think should change,
comments are welcome.

- Carsten

;; So many of you use this one, and there s no harm...
(setq org-return-follows-link t)

;; The default value 'prefix was from a time when I was
;; not sure if this was a good idea.  But since it takes
;; effect only when keys are actually defined, I agree with
;; many of you that this can be turned on by default
(setq org-use-fast-todo-selection t)

;; I agree with Manuel that this is a bit too magic, so I am
;; changing the default to nil, even though privately,
;; I will turn it on.
(setq org-yank-adjusted-subtrees nil)

;; Most people have at least this setting, and setting te default
;; to t could be a nice way to make new users aware that there is
;; something like logging possible.  However, I am not sure I want
;; to turn this on, it may be nice to have the most simple interface
;; for starters.  Comments?  For now my plans are to leave it at nil,
;; unless I hear good arguments.
(setq org-log-done 'time)

;; Manuel comments that the ellipsis dots should be vitible after
;; the tags in a normal width frame - this makes sense, too.
(setq org-tags-column -77)

;; Many of you feel that priority sorting is more important than
;; keeping the categories together.  I guess my original idea was that
;; one would only have very few categories like "work" and "home",
;; where keeping the categories together makes sense.  With many more
;; categories, maybe it s better to put priority first.....

(setq org-agenda-sorting-strategy
      '((agenda time-up priority-down category-keep)
	(todo time-up priority-down category-keep)
	(tags time-up priority-down category-keep)
	(search category-keep)))

* Re: Changing variable defaults.
@ 2009-02-02 23:20 ` Mike Newman
From: Mike Newman @ 2009-02-02 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> (setq org-tags-column -77)

For the past few months, I have been using org-mode in conjunction with
Visual Line mode, a new feature of Emacs 23, and found they work
together well. From the v23 NEWS file:

** Visual Line mode provides support for editing by visual lines.
It turns on word-wrapping in the current buffer, and rebinds C-a, C-e,
and C-k to commands that operate by visual lines instead of logical
lines.  This is a more reliable replacement for longlines-mode.
This can also be turned on using the menu bar, via
Options -> Line Wrapping in this Buffer -> Word Wrap

I think in the long-term many (most) org users will start enabling
this, and there will be requests for tweaks to make the two cooperate
a little better.

One customisation I would recommend for anyone using the two together
would be

  (setq org-tags-column -75)

Trying to put the tags any further to the right will cause them to wrap
on to the next line.  Perhaps this is not too far from your suggestion
to make it the default in all cases?
--
Mike

* Re: Changing variable defaults.
@ 2009-02-04 12:21   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-04 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Newman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Mike,
On Feb 3, 2009, at 12:20 AM, Mike Newman wrote:

>> (setq org-tags-column -77)
>
> For the past few months, I have been using org-mode in conjunction
> with
> Visual Line mode, a new feature of Emacs 23, and found they work
> together well.

I am a bit surprised that you say this, as Org-mode does overrule
the special beginning/end of line commands that visual line mode
normally installs.  Have you not missed these?

Have you been playing with org-special-ctrl-a/e, and
org-special-ctrl-k, and what do you think should the
behavior be in this case, if visual-line-mode is active?

Thanks for pointing out that mode, it look interesting and seems
to be a lot more usable with Org than longlines.el

- Carsten

@ 2009-02-04 20:42     ` Mike Newman
From: Mike Newman @ 2009-02-04 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 13:21:24 +0100
Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:

> Hi Mike,
> On Feb 3, 2009, at 12:20 AM, Mike Newman wrote:
>

> >> (setq org-tags-column -77)
> >
> > For the past few months, I have been using org-mode in conjunction
> > with
> > Visual Line mode, a new feature of Emacs 23, and found they work
> > together well.
>
> I am a bit surprised that you say this, as Org-mode does overrule
> the special beginning/end of line commands that visual line mode
> normally installs.  Have you not missed these?
>
> Have you been playing with org-special-ctrl-a/e, and
> org-special-ctrl-k, and what do you think should the
> behavior be in this case, if visual-line-mode is active?
>
> Thanks for pointing out that mode, it look interesting and seems
> to be a lot more usable with Org than longlines.el
>
> - Carsten

I had noticed the change in behaviour of C-a and C-e, but I hadn't
attempted to get round it (except by only using them to move to the
start and end of the paragraph).

In fact, with paragraph-oriented text, moving to the beginning or end
of the line is relatively unimportant, so I haven't really missed the
capability.

I'm not really clear on the details of their standard behaviour in
org-mode now, but I guess something that might make sense (to a user)
would be for them to behave in an org-specific way when they are
somewhere where this makes sense, but then to fall back to their
previous definition otherwise.

I'm unclear on exactly how fixed the behaviour of visual line mode is
- it hasn't yet appeared in an emacs release, so I guess it might
still change.

In the longer term, I imagine people will start wanting support for
variable width fonts (visual line mode at last makes these usable in
emacs)!!

Thanks again for all your efforts.

--
Mike