From: Mike Newman <mike@newmanfamily.me.uk> (by way of Mike Newman <mike@newmanfamily.me.uk>)
To: Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl>
Subject: Re: Changing variable defaults.
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 20:42:14 +0000	[thread overview]

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 13:21:24 +0100
Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:

> Hi Mike,
> On Feb 3, 2009, at 12:20 AM, Mike Newman wrote:
>

> >> (setq org-tags-column -77)
> >
> > For the past few months, I have been using org-mode in conjunction
> > with
> > Visual Line mode, a new feature of Emacs 23, and found they work
> > together well.
>
> I am a bit surprised that you say this, as Org-mode does overrule
> the special beginning/end of line commands that visual line mode
> normally installs.  Have you not missed these?
>
> Have you been playing with org-special-ctrl-a/e, and
> org-special-ctrl-k, and what do you think should the
> behavior be in this case, if visual-line-mode is active?
>
> Thanks for pointing out that mode, it look interesting and seems
> to be a lot more usable with Org than longlines.el
>
> - Carsten

I had noticed the change in behaviour of C-a and C-e, but I hadn't
attempted to get round it (except by only using them to move to the
start and end of the paragraph).

In fact, with paragraph-oriented text, moving to the beginning or end
of the line is relatively unimportant, so I haven't really missed the
capability.

I'm not really clear on the details of their standard behaviour in
org-mode now, but I guess something that might make sense (to a user)
would be for them to behave in an org-specific way when they are
somewhere where this makes sense, but then to fall back to their
previous definition otherwise.

I'm unclear on exactly how fixed the behaviour of visual line mode is
- it hasn't yet appeared in an emacs release, so I guess it might
still change.

In the longer term, I imagine people will start wanting support for
variable width fonts (visual line mode at last makes these usable in
emacs)!!

Thanks again for all your efforts.

--
Mike