* Changing variable defaults.
@ 2009-02-01 14:27 Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-01 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org Org-Mode

Hi,

wow, what a treat to read all those customizations everyone has made!
This has been extremely interesting for me, reminded me of some
customizations I had forgotten, and re-inforced the idea that
lots of variables is a good thing.

while Manish is digging through and organizing the
customizations everyone has sent in (this will be fun
to analyze and study!), I have take a quick look with view on
changing defaults.  Here is what I currently think should change,
comments are welcome.

- Carsten

;; So many of you use this one, and there s no harm...
(setq org-return-follows-link t)

;; The default value 'prefix was from a time when I was
;; not sure if this was a good idea.  But since it takes
;; effect only when keys are actually defined, I agree with
;; many of you that this can be turned on by default
(setq org-use-fast-todo-selection t)

;; I agree with Manuel that this is a bit too magic, so I am
;; changing the default to nil, even though privately,
;; I will turn it on.
(setq org-yank-adjusted-subtrees nil)

;; Most people have at least this setting, and setting te default
;; to t could be a nice way to make new users aware that there is
;; something like logging possible.  However, I am not sure I want
;; to turn this on, it may be nice to have the most simple interface
;; for starters.  Comments?  For now my plans are to leave it at nil,
;; unless I hear good arguments.
(setq org-log-done 'time)

;; Manuel comments that the ellipsis dots should be vitible after
;; the tags in a normal width frame - this makes sense, too.
(setq org-tags-column -77)

;; Many of you feel that priority sorting is more important than
;; keeping the categories together.  I guess my original idea was that
;; one would only have very few categories like "work" and "home",
;; where keeping the categories together makes sense.  With many more
;; categories, maybe it s better to put priority first.....

(setq org-agenda-sorting-strategy
      '((agenda time-up priority-down category-keep)
	(todo time-up priority-down category-keep)
	(tags time-up priority-down category-keep)
	(search category-keep)))