* source code block export no expansion
@ 2010-12-07 17:38 Andreas Leha
From: Andreas Leha @ 2010-12-07 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I have a question about exporting source code blocks.  Say, I have
several modules (mod1, mod2), that build a bigger part (part1) of my
program, e.g.:

  #+srcname: mod1
  #+begin_src R :tangle no :export code
    print("mod1")
  #+end_src

  #+srcname: mod2
  #+begin_src R :tangle no :export code
    print("mod2")
  #+end_src

  #+srcname: part1
  #+begin_src R :noweb yes :tangle yes :export code :session *R*
    <<mod1>>
    <<mod2>>
  #+end_src

Now during the tangling I would like to tangle just the full part1 -
with noweb links being expanded.  Also during execution the noweb links
should be expanded.  This is not a problem.

But at the same time, during the export I'd like to export all three
code snippets, but I'd prefer the noweb links not to be expanded.  Is
that possible?

Thanks in advance,
Andreas

[-- Attachment #1.2: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature --]

* Re: source code block export no expansion
@ 2010-12-07 18:37 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-12-07 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Leha; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Aloha Andreas,

Perhaps :noweb tangle will do what you want.

hth,
Tom

@ 2010-12-07 18:49   ` Andreas Leha
From: Andreas Leha @ 2010-12-07 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Tom,

thanks for this answer.  This indeed comes closer to what I want.

But, some comments:

(1) There seems to be an error in the manual:
In the manual the :noweb tangle header argument is given as :noweb yes,
which is why I missed that option.

(2) The noweb link are expanded *always* (i.e. execution, export,
tangle) even with the :noweb tangle option:
  #+srcname: mod1
  #+begin_src R :tangle no :export code
    print("mod1")
  #+end_src

  #+srcname: mod2
  #+begin_src R :tangle no :export code
    print("mod2")
  #+end_src

  #+srcname: part1
  #+begin_src R :noweb tangle :tangle yes :export code :session *R*
    <<mod1>>
    <<mod2>>
  #+end_src

(3) I am looking for an option to disable the noweb link expansion
during *export* only.  However, as I understand it, the :noweb tangle
header option is supposed to disable the expansion also for *execution*.

So, is this not possible right now?

Cheers,
Andreas

Am 07.12.2010 19:37, schrieb Thomas S. Dye:
> Aloha Andreas,
>
> Perhaps :noweb tangle will do what you want.
>
> hth,
> Tom
>
> On Dec 7, 2010, at 7:38 AM, Andreas Leha wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a question about exporting source code blocks.  Say, I have
>> several modules (mod1, mod2), that build a bigger part (part1) of my
>> program, e.g.:
>>

>>  #+srcname: mod1
>>  #+begin_src R :tangle no :export code
>>    print("mod1")
>>  #+end_src
>>
>>  #+srcname: mod2
>>  #+begin_src R :tangle no :export code
>>    print("mod2")
>>  #+end_src
>>
>>  #+srcname: part1
>>  #+begin_src R :noweb yes :tangle yes :export code :session *R*
>>    <<mod1>>
>>    <<mod2>>
>>  #+end_src
>>

>> Now during the tangling I would like to tangle just the full part1 -
>> with noweb links being expanded.  Also during execution the noweb links
>> should be expanded.  This is not a problem.
>>
>> But at the same time, during the export I'd like to export all three
>> code snippets, but I'd prefer the noweb links not to be expanded.  Is
>> that possible?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Andreas

Andreas Leha

Universitätsmedizin Göttingen
Abteilung Medizinische Statistik
Humboldtallee 32
37073 Göttingen

Tel: +49 (0)551 39-10710
Fax: +49 (0)551 39-4995

http://www.ams.med.uni-goettingen.de/amsneu/leha.html

University Medical Center Göttingen
Department for Medical Statistics
Humboldtallee 32
37073 Göttingen
Germany

Phone: +49 (0) 551 39-10710
Fax: +49 (0) 551 39-4995

http://www.ams.med.uni-goettingen.de/amsneu/leha-en.html

@ 2010-12-07 19:33     ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-12-07 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Leha; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Aloha Andreas,

On Dec 7, 2010, at 8:49 AM, Andreas Leha wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> thanks for this answer.  This indeed comes closer to what I want.
>
> But, some comments:
>
> (1) There seems to be an error in the manual:
> In the manual the :noweb tangle header argument is given as :noweb
> yes,
> which is why I missed that option.

I believe this is fixed at the source now, but am not sure how long it
will take to propagate to the distributed documentation.

> (2) The noweb link are expanded *always* (i.e. execution, export,
> tangle) even with the :noweb tangle option:
>  #+srcname: mod1
>  #+begin_src R :tangle no :export code
>    print("mod1")
>  #+end_src
>
>  #+srcname: mod2
>  #+begin_src R :tangle no :export code
>    print("mod2")
>  #+end_src
>
>  #+srcname: part1
>  #+begin_src R :noweb tangle :tangle yes :export code :session *R*
>    <<mod1>>
>    <<mod2>>
>  #+end_src

Perhaps this has to do with using :export instead of the correct
header argument, :exports?

> (3) I am looking for an option to disable the noweb link expansion
> during *export* only.  However, as I understand it, the :noweb tangle
> header option is supposed to disable the expansion also for
> *execution*.

This isn't how it works for me.  :noweb tangle inhibits noweb
expansion during export only.

> So, is this not possible right now?

It is possible now.  If the :exports header argument doesn't fix your
problem, come back to the list.

All the best,
Tom

@ 2010-12-07 19:46       ` Andreas Leha
From: Andreas Leha @ 2010-12-07 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 5253 bytes --]

Hi Tom,

thanks for the answer and thanks for spotting the typo.  But even with
the typo corrected during export the noweb links are still exported.
  #+srcname: mod1
  #+begin_src R :tangle no :export code
    print("mod1")
  #+end_src

  #+srcname: mod2
  #+begin_src R :tangle no :export code
    print("mod2")
  #+end_src

  #+srcname: part1
  #+begin_src R :noweb tangle :tangle yes :exports code :session *R*
    <<mod1>>
    <<mod2>>
  #+end_src

Result:
\lstset{language=R}
\begin{lstlisting}
print("mod1")
print("mod2")
\end{lstlisting}

Am 07.12.2010 20:33, schrieb Thomas S. Dye:
> [...]
>>  #+end_src
>>

> Perhaps this has to do with using :export instead of the correct
> header argument, :exports?
>
>> (3) I am looking for an option to disable the noweb link expansion
>> during *export* only.  However, as I understand it, the :noweb tangle
>> header option is supposed to disable the expansion also for *execution*.
>
> This isn't how it works for me.  :noweb tangle inhibits noweb expansion during export only.
>

>> So, is this not possible right now?
>>

> It is possible now.  If the :exports header argument doesn't fix your
> problem, come back to the list.
>
> All the best,
> Tom
>
>> Cheers,
>> Andreas
>>

>> Am 07.12.2010 19:37, schrieb Thomas S. Dye:
>>> Aloha Andreas,
>>>
>>> Perhaps :noweb tangle will do what you want.

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 12907 bytes --]

@ 2010-12-07 20:14         ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-12-07 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Leha; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Aloha Andreas,

Thanks for your patience and persistence.  I think this might qualify
as a bug.  Using your code, if I don't run R in a session, or if I run
R in a session but don't name the session, everything works as
expected.  The behavior changes for me when the session gets a name.

All the best,
Tom

@ 2010-12-08  6:55           ` Andreas Leha
From: Andreas Leha @ 2010-12-08  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 6662 bytes --]

Hi Tom,

thanks a lot for looking into it!  Fixing this is unfortunately off my
limits.

But for me the unnamed session is a valid work-around for me, since I do
not need several sessions right now.  Thanks for this hint.

Cheers,
Andreas

Am 07.12.2010 21:14, schrieb Thomas S. Dye:
> Aloha Andreas,
>
> Thanks for your patience and persistence.  I think this might qualify
> as a bug.  Using your code, if I don't run R in a session, or if I run
> R in a session but don't name the session,
> everything works as expected.  The behavior changes for me when the
> session gets a name.
>
> All the best,
> Tom
>

> On Dec 7, 2010, at 9:46 AM, Andreas Leha wrote:
>
>> Hi Tom,
>>
>> thanks for the answer and thanks for spotting the typo.  But even
>> with the typo corrected during export the noweb links are still exported.
>>   #+srcname: mod1
>>   #+begin_src R :tangle no :export code
>>     print("mod1")
>>   #+end_src
>>
>>   #+srcname: mod2
>>   #+begin_src R :tangle no :export code
>>     print("mod2")
>>   #+end_src
>>
>>   #+srcname: part1
>>   #+begin_src R :noweb tangle :tangle yes :exports code :session *R*
>>     <<mod1>>
>>     <<mod2>>
>>   #+end_src
>>
>> Result:
>> \lstset{language=R}
>> \begin{lstlisting}
>> print("mod1")
>> print("mod2")
>> \end{lstlisting}
>>

>> Am 07.12.2010 20:33, schrieb Thomas S. Dye:
>>> Aloha Andreas,

>>> I believe this is fixed at the
>>> source now, but am not sure how long it will take to propagate to
>>> the distributed documentation.

>>> Perhaps this has to do with using :export instead of the correct
>>> header argument, :exports?

>>> This isn't how it works for me.  :noweb tangle inhibits noweb expansion during export only.

>>> It is possible now.  If the :exports header argument doesn't fix
>>> your problem, come back to the list.
>>>
>>> All the best,
>>> Tom

>> --
>> Andreas Leha
>>
>> Universitätsmedizin Göttingen
>> Abteilung Medizinische Statistik
>> Humboldtallee 32
>> 37073 Göttingen
>>
>> Tel: +49 (0)551 39-10710
>> Fax: +49 (0)551 39-4995
>>
>> http://www.ams.med.uni-goettingen.de/amsneu/leha.html
>>

>> University Medical Center Göttingen
>> Department for Medical Statistics
>> Humboldtallee 32
>> 37073 Göttingen
>> Germany
>>
>> Phone: +49 (0) 551 39-10710
>> Fax: +49 (0) 551 39-4995
>>
>> http://www.ams.med.uni-goettingen.de/amsneu/leha-en.html

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 15762 bytes --]

@ 2010-12-08 16:49             ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-12-08 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Leha; +Cc: emacs-orgmode