* [ANN] Org-gamify
@ 2014-07-09  2:39 Paul Sexton
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Paul Sexton @ 2014-07-09  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have written a plugin for org agenda, which allows "gamification" of
task management. Define currencies, earn them by completing tasks, and
spend them on rewards. Inspired by HabitRPG, Epic Win and similar
systems.

http://bitbucket.org/eeeickythump/org-gamify

Note - I am well aware of existing criticisms of gamification. I have
significant reservations about many of its applications myself. However
I am not going to enter into any debate about its desirability or
ethicality. I have written some software to allow individuals to
voluntarily experiment with gamifying aspects of their own task
management systems, in order to find out whether it is enjoyable or
useful for them.

* Re: [ANN] Org-gamify
@ 2014-07-09  6:22 ` Samuel Loury
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Samuel Loury @ 2014-07-09  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Sexton, emacs-orgmode

Paul Sexton <psexton.2a@gmail.com> writes:

> I have written a plugin for org agenda, which allows "gamification" of
> task management. Define currencies, earn them by completing tasks, and
> spend them on rewards. Inspired by HabitRPG, Epic Win and similar
> systems.
>
> http://bitbucket.org/eeeickythump/org-gamify
It sounds fun.

I just read the description and something intrigues me: how do you
choose the CURRENCY_DELTAS for the tasks? I honestly don't think I would
be able to decide the price of each of my TODOs, at least without a
method.

Moreover, this property appears to be something we could derive from the
other properties like the EFFORT. We could say for instance that the
more the EFFORT is, the more the CURRENCY_DELTAS should be. Is that
possible to do with the library?

Anyway, thank you for sharing this library. I think it may help me keep
my agendas cleaner than they are now.

--
Konubinix
GPG Key    : 7439106A

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 472 bytes --]

* Re: [ANN] Org-gamify
@ 2014-07-09  7:01 ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-07-09  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Paul Sexton <psexton.2a@gmail.com> writes:

> I have written a plugin for org agenda, which allows "gamification" of
> task management. Define currencies, earn them by completing tasks, and
> spend them on rewards. Inspired by HabitRPG, Epic Win and similar
> systems.
>
> http://bitbucket.org/eeeickythump/org-gamify

Looks very interesting, would probably be the perfect tool for an
Org-mode based weight-watchers group or so (using real €uros or $ollars
as gaming-currency) - if you can convince Average Alice of
Emacs/Org-mode of course.

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: [ANN] Org-gamify
@ 2014-07-09 20:50 ` Ivan Andrus
From: Ivan Andrus @ 2014-07-09 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Sexton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jul 8, 2014, at 8:39 PM, Paul Sexton <psexton.2a@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have written a plugin for org agenda, which allows "gamification" of
> task management. Define currencies, earn them by completing tasks, and
> spend them on rewards. Inspired by HabitRPG, Epic Win and similar
> systems.
>
> http://bitbucket.org/eeeickythump/org-gamify
>
> Note - I am well aware of existing criticisms of gamification. I have
> significant reservations about many of its applications myself. However
> I am not going to enter into any debate about its desirability or
> ethicality. I have written some software to allow individuals to
> voluntarily experiment with gamifying aspects of their own task
> management systems, in order to find out whether it is enjoyable or
> useful for them.

This looks quite interesting.  I’m going to have to try it out.  On a similar vein, I started (but kind of stalled) working on my own gamification for learning Emacs (available on MELPA):

https://bitbucket.org/gvol/emacs-achievements

Right now it’s only achievements (and I didn’t have any plans of anything else like experience).  I need to write more achievements to unlock (suggestions greatly welcome—especially org related), and I think it might be cool to integrate with org-gamify to offer a richer experience.

-Ivan

* Re: [ANN] Org-gamify
@ 2014-07-10  0:05   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2014-07-10  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Andrus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Paul Sexton

every time i see that horrific word i pronounce it to rhyme with lamb.
i want that "e" back in that word!

oh, really interesting idea!  :]

The disease DOES progress.  MANY people have died from it.  And
ANYBODY can get it.

Denmark: free Karina Hansen NOW.

* Re: [ANN] Org-gamify
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)