* How to safely update from ver. 8.2.10 to 8.3.x
@ 2016-08-15  2:39 Maria Shinoto
From: Maria Shinoto @ 2016-08-15  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

this weekend I got through lots of troubles, because I updated my
orgmode version with "manage emacs packages" menu command and somehow
got mixed preferences.

Now, after a clean install, I have org mode 8.2.10 and would like to
update to version 8.3.x (20160808) which is shown under the menu command
"manage emacs packages".

How can I do this safely, without creating a mess again?

Thanks for all advice,
Maria

* Re: How to safely update from ver. 8.2.10 to 8.3.x
@ 2016-08-15 17:29 ` Cook, Malcolm
       [not found]   ` <5a776464-0616-1554-b8ad-50fae2d658bc@shinoto.de>
From: Cook, Malcolm @ 2016-08-15 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Maria Shinoto', 'emacs-orgmode@gnu.org'

> this weekend I got through lots of troubles, because I updated my
 > orgmode version with "manage emacs packages" menu command and
 > somehow
 > got mixed preferences.
 >
 > Now, after a clean install, I have org mode 8.2.10 and would like to
 > update to version 8.3.x (20160808) which is shown under the menu
 > command
 > "manage emacs packages".
 >
 > How can I do this safely, without creating a mess again?

Here's what I do, at the shell:

	  emacs -Q -batch -eval "(progn (require 'package) (add-to-list 'package-archives '(\"org\" . \"http://orgmode.org/elpa/\"))  (package-initialize) (package-refresh-contents) (package-install 'org-plus-contrib))"

This assures that org is not already loaded when org is compiled, which I've learned is the source of creating a mess.

Note: I use org-plus-contrib from melpa instead of org.  If you want just org, you could simply:

	  emacs -Q -batch -eval "(progn (require 'package) (package-initialize) (package-refresh-contents) (package-install 'org-plus-contrib))"

HTH,

Malcolm

       [not found]     ` <1471321150864.146@stowers.org>
@ 2016-08-16  5:14       ` Maria Shinoto
From: Maria Shinoto @ 2016-08-16  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MEC, emacs-orgmode

Thanks again, this was really helpful, and I understand the logic.

To explain what worked:

- My Emacs was simply the downloaded version of "EmacsForOSX", which
resides in the application folder.

- The path to the emacs file that opens from the Terminal turned out to be
      /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs

- So the Terminal commands was

      /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -Q

- After checking that only the 2 regular buffers were active and orgmode
not loaded, I installed the package with the package manager.

It worked well, my org-mode is now the newest version, and updating this
way was really easy.

May I suggest that the procedure that Malcolm explained so well will be
part of the explanation/wiki/manuals?

Beginners like me can become confused -- software bug, stupid user bug,
what else...

Cheers to the list,
Maria

@ 2016-08-22 15:25   ` Jorge
From: Jorge @ 2016-08-22 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cook, Malcolm; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Maria Shinoto

On 15 August 2016 at 14:29, Cook, Malcolm <MEC@stowers.org> wrote:
>           emacs -Q -batch -eval "(progn (require 'package) (add-to-list 'package-archives '(\"org\" . \"http://orgmode.org/elpa/\"))  (package-initialize) (package-refresh-contents) (package-install 'org-plus-contrib))"
Here I plan to drop the "-Q" (because --batch already implies -q,
which I think is enough).  So my command would be
    emacs --batch --eval "(progn (require 'package) (add-to-list
'package-archives '(\"org\" . \"http://orgmode.org/elpa/\"))
(package-initialize) (package-refresh-contents) (package-install
'org-plus-contrib))"

> Note: I use org-plus-contrib from melpa instead of org.  If you want just org, you could simply:
>
>           emacs -Q -batch -eval "(progn (require 'package) (package-initialize) (package-refresh-contents) (package-install 'org-plus-contrib))"

Would not it be
?

--
- I am Brazilian.  I apologize for possibly bad English and I welcome
corrections.

* Re: How to safely update from ver. 8.2.10 to 8.3.x
@ 2016-08-22 16:39     ` Jorge
From: Jorge @ 2016-08-22 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cook, Malcolm; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Maria Shinoto

In the last command I forgot to drop the -Q.  But I guess it works either way.

@ 2016-08-22 17:19       ` Cook, Malcolm
From: Cook, Malcolm @ 2016-08-22 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jorge'; +Cc: 'emacs-orgmode@gnu.org', 'Maria Shinoto'

> In the last command I forgot to drop the -Q.  But I guess it works either way.

I would not trust the result from failing to drop the -Q since the -Q is what prevents your init file from loading, which we are explicitly trying to avoid for the sake of compiling org in a fresh environment.

~Malcolm

@ 2016-08-22 20:35         ` Jorge
From: Jorge @ 2016-08-22 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cook, Malcolm; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Maria Shinoto

On 22 August 2016 at 14:19, Cook, Malcolm <MEC@stowers.org> wrote:
>> In the last command I forgot to drop the -Q.  But I guess it works either way.
>
> I would not trust the result from failing to drop the -Q since the -Q is what prevents your init file from loading, which we are explicitly trying to avoid for the sake of compiling org in a fresh environment.

According to [[info:emacs#Initial Options]], --batch implies -q.
About -q and -Q, we have:

    ‘-q’
    ‘--no-init-file’
         Do not load any initialization file (*note Init File::).  When
         Emacs is invoked with this option, the Customize facility does not
         allow options to be saved (*note Easy Customization::).  This
         option does not disable loading ‘site-start.el’.
[...]
    ‘-Q’
    ‘--quick’
         Start emacs with minimum customizations.  This is similar to using
         ‘-q’, ‘--no-site-file’, ‘--no-site-lisp’, and ‘--no-splash’
         together.  This also stops Emacs from processing X resources by
         setting ‘inhibit-x-resources’ to ‘t’ (*note Resources::).

So --batch implies -q, which is enough to bypass init.el.  -Q is
stronger than -q: it adds ‘--no-site-file’, ‘--no-site-lisp’, and
‘--no-splash’ and inibits X resources.  But AFAIK, only my init.el
loads Org, and not site-start.el, which is empty here, or any Lisp
file in a site-lisp directory.  I searched every file in
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp for "org" and I didn't find any line that
loads Org.

I am an Emacs beginner though, so I may be wrong.

--

@ 2016-08-22 22:13           ` Cook, Malcolm
From: Cook, Malcolm @ 2016-08-22 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jorge'; +Cc: 'emacs-orgmode@gnu.org', 'Maria Shinoto'

> > I would not trust the result from failing to drop the -Q since the -Q is what
 > prevents your init file from loading, which we are explicitly trying to avoid
 > for the sake of compiling org in a fresh environment.
 > >
 > According to [[info:emacs#Initial Options]], --batch implies -q.
 > About -q and -Q, we have:
 >
 >     ‘-q’
 >     ‘--no-init-file’
 >          Do not load any initialization file (*note Init File::).  When
 >          Emacs is invoked with this option, the Customize facility does not
 >          allow options to be saved (*note Easy Customization::).  This
 >          option does not disable loading ‘site-start.el’.
 > [...]
 >     ‘-Q’
 >     ‘--quick’
 >          Start emacs with minimum customizations.  This is similar to using
 >          ‘-q’, ‘--no-site-file’, ‘--no-site-lisp’, and ‘--no-splash’
 >          together.  This also stops Emacs from processing X resources by
 >          setting ‘inhibit-x-resources’ to ‘t’ (*note Resources::).

Aha - thanks for the rundown.....

 > So --batch implies -q, which is enough to bypass init.el.  -Q is
 > stronger than -q: it adds ‘--no-site-file’, ‘--no-site-lisp’, and
 > ‘--no-splash’ and inibits X resources.  But AFAIK, only my init.el
 > loads Org, and not site-start.el, which is empty here, or any Lisp
 > file in a site-lisp directory.  I searched every file in
 > /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp for "org" and I didn't find any line that
 > loads Org.
 >
 > I am an Emacs beginner though, so I may be wrong.

I'm now figuring you're right.