* Re: Re: Co-maintainer, a least for some time?
@ 2010-05-19 14:28     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-05-19 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Davison; +Cc: Carsten Dominik, emacs-orgmode Mode, Bastien

Hi Carsten,

Dan Davison <davison@stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> Bastien <bastien.guerry@wikimedia.fr> writes:
>
>> Hi Carsten,
>>
>> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Is there anyone who would be willing to step up as a co-maintainer, at
>>> least for some time?

I'm sorry to say that I don't have enough time to step up in any real
sustained way.  I've been continually amazed and grateful for the amount
of time you have been able to give to our community.

>> I'd be glad to help, but I'm short of time for the moment and I
>>prefer to concentrate on maintaining the server and Worg.
>
> I'm afraid I can't devote significantly more time. (In any case, I do
> not know the agenda and task/time management side of org well enough.)

Likewise, my org expertise is fairly one or two sided, leaving out large
swaths of functionality -- e.g. I have no idea how GTD works.

> But I would be happy to help out in a, err, coalition. Would it be
> possible for us to develop a slightly more formalised triage/bug
> tracking system whereby any list member who feels able to can say "I'll
> look into this and report back with a recommendation for
> action".

If this is possible (I know we've talked about an org-mode based bug
tracker before with lukewarm results) then I should be able to help
tackle the stray bug such a model.

On org-babel we've had some success tracking pending development, and
tracking bugs in a single monolithic org-mode file in a github
repository [1].

Best -- Eric

> Perhaps this would work via a jointly maintained todo list on Worg or
> elsewhere? Any thoughts? Or is this optimistic and do we really need
> one person to step up?
>
> Dan
>

>> You made Org a project people would be proud to co-maintain, I'm sure
>> someone good will step in!

Footnotes:
[1]  http://github.com/eschulte/babel-dev

* Re: Re: Co-maintainer, a least for some time?
@ 2010-05-19 15:49       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-05-19 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Dan Davison, emacs-orgmode Mode, Bastien

On May 19, 2010, at 4:28 PM, Eric Schulte wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> Dan Davison <davison@stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> Bastien <bastien.guerry@wikimedia.fr> writes:
>>
>>> Hi Carsten,

> I'm sorry to say that I don't have enough time to step up in any real
> sustained way.

I do believe that with org-babel, you and Dan *certainly* do your share.

> I've been continually amazed and grateful for the amount
> of time you have been able to give to our community.

In fact, it is more than can really afford - but I am a junkie who
needs to deal with his problems ...

>>> I'd be glad to help, but I'm short of time for the moment and I
>>> prefer to concentrate on maintaining the server and Worg.
>>
>> I'm afraid I can't devote significantly more time. (In any case, I do
>> not know the agenda and task/time management side of org well
>> enough.)
>>

> Likewise, my org expertise is fairly one or two sided, leaving out
> large
> swaths of functionality -- e.g. I have no idea how GTD works.
>

>> But I would be happy to help out in a, err, coalition. Would it be
>> possible for us to develop a slightly more formalised triage/bug
>> tracking system whereby any list member who feels able to can say
>> "I'll
>> look into this and report back with a recommendation for
>> action".
>
> If this is possible (I know we've talked about an org-mode based bug
> tracker before with lukewarm results) then I should be able to help
> tackle the stray bug such a model.
>
> On org-babel we've had some success tracking pending development, and
> tracking bugs in a single monolithic org-mode file in a github
> repository [1].
>
> Best -- Eric
>
>> Perhaps this would work via a jointly maintained todo list on Worg or
>> elsewhere? Any thoughts? Or is this optimistic and do we really need
>> one person to step up?
>>
>> Dan
>>

>>> You made Org a project people would be proud to co-maintain, I'm
>>> sure
>>> someone good will step in!

> Footnotes:
> [1]  http://github.com/eschulte/babel-dev

- Carsten

* Re: Re: Co-maintainer, a least for some time?
@ 2010-05-19 18:08       ` Karsten Heymann
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Karsten Heymann @ 2010-05-19 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Am 19.05.2010 17:46, schrieb Carsten Dominik:
> I think an issue-tracking system would be great.  And if there are
> other people besides John who want to take up individual issues, I am
> sure this would be good.

One solution would be to switch the git repository to github.com and use
it's integrates issues functionality. From their site:

  Issues

  GitHub Issues adds lightweight issue tracking tightly integrated with
  your repository. Close issues from commit messages, let users label
  and vote on issues and drag & drop issues to priorize.

See it in action at
http://github.com/splitbrain/dokuwiki-plugin-data/issues

Maybe it's worth a look.

Yours
Karsten

* Re: Re: Co-maintainer, a least for some time?
@ 2010-05-19 18:15         ` Matthew Jones
From: Matthew Jones @ 2010-05-19 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

MobileOrg and MobileOrg Android both use Github, and we both use the issue
tracker.   Another boon to using Github for the project would be benefitting
from individual contributors maintaining "fork"s of the main repository...
then a maintainer could merge in fixes and features that others have worked
on with ease.

I have had several folks contribute to MobileOrg for Android in just this
manner and as the maintainer it has made my life very easy.

73,
Matthew W. Jones (KI4ZIB)
http://matburt.net

@ 2010-05-19 18:51         ` Anthony Lander
From: Anthony Lander @ 2010-05-19 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karsten Heymann; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 10-May-19, at 2:08 PM, Karsten Heymann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 19.05.2010 17:46, schrieb Carsten Dominik:
>> I think an issue-tracking system would be great.  And if there are
>> other people besides John who want to take up individual issues, I am
>> sure this would be good.
>
> One solution would be to switch the git repository to github.com and
> use
> it's integrates issues functionality.

+1

That would make it possible for people like me to cherry-pick issues
to work on, and leave Carsten & other people to approve and commit
patches rather than make them.

   -anthony

* Re: Re: Co-maintainer, a least for some time?
@ 2010-05-19 21:22         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-05-19 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karsten Heymann; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On May 19, 2010, at 8:08 PM, Karsten Heymann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 19.05.2010 17:46, schrieb Carsten Dominik:
>> I think an issue-tracking system would be great.  And if there are
>> other people besides John who want to take up individual issues, I am
>> sure this would be good.
>
> One solution would be to switch the git repository to github.com and
> use
> it's integrates issues functionality. From their site:
>
>  Issues
>
>  GitHub Issues adds lightweight issue tracking tightly integrated with
>  your repository. Close issues from commit messages, let users label
>  and vote on issues and drag & drop issues to priorize.

That might be interesting.  I just got a mail from John, he will set
up patchwork for us, which seems to be an automated issue-tracking
system based on patches on a mailing list.  This looks good to me
because it keeps thinks on the mailing list which has worked for us so
far.  Lets start with that, and think about moving to github for a bit
longer.

- Carsten

> See it in action at
> http://github.com/splitbrain/dokuwiki-plugin-data/issues
>
> Maybe it's worth a look.
>
> Yours
> Karsten

- Carsten

* Re: Re: Co-maintainer, a least for some time?
@ 2010-05-19 21:23           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-05-19 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Lander; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On May 19, 2010, at 8:51 PM, Anthony Lander wrote:

> On 10-May-19, at 2:08 PM, Karsten Heymann wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am 19.05.2010 17:46, schrieb Carsten Dominik:
>>> I think an issue-tracking system would be great.  And if there are
>>> other people besides John who want to take up individual issues, I
>>> am
>>> sure this would be good.
>>
>> One solution would be to switch the git repository to github.com
>> and use
>> it's integrates issues functionality.
>

> +1
>
> That would make it possible for people like me to cherry-pick issues
> to work on, and leave Carsten & other people to approve and commit
> patches rather than make them.

Why is that easier on GitHub than on any web-based git hosting system
(it may well be - only I don't know!)

- Carsten

* Re: Re: Co-maintainer, a least for some time?
@ 2010-05-19 21:39             ` Anthony Lander
From: Anthony Lander @ 2010-05-19 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 10-May-19, at 5:23 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On May 19, 2010, at 8:51 PM, Anthony Lander wrote:
>

>> On 10-May-19, at 2:08 PM, Karsten Heymann wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> One solution would be to switch the git repository to github.com
>>> and use
>>> it's integrates issues functionality.
>>

>> +1
>>
>> That would make it possible for people like me to cherry-pick
>> issues to work on, and leave Carsten & other people to approve and
>> commit patches rather than make them.
>
> Why is that easier on GitHub than on any web-based git hosting system
> (it may well be - only I don't know!)

I don't know that it matters. I am just familiar with github.

* Re: Re: Co-maintainer, a least for some time?
@ 2010-05-19 22:30           ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-05-19 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:

> That might be interesting.  I just got a mail from John, he will set
> up patchwork for us, which seems to be an automated issue-tracking
> system based on patches on a mailing list.  This looks good to me
> because it keeps thinks on the mailing list which has worked for us so
> far.  Lets start with that, and think about moving to github for a bit
> longer.

AFAIK, patchwork (http://ozlabs.org/~jk/projects/patchwork/) snags
*patches* off the mailing list and squirrels them away so they are
not lost, but it is not an issue-tracking system.

Nick

* Re: Co-maintainer, a least for some time?
       [not found] <4bf55eb1.216ae50a.74d1.0bfeSMTPIN_ADDED@mx.google.com>
@ 2010-05-20 17:52 ` Thomas Renkert
From: Thomas Renkert @ 2010-05-20 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

What about using launchpad.net for bugtracking?

Bugreports and code reviews can be done via email so they could be cc:ed
to the traditional mailing list while they would show up at the same
time in the web interface.

Also, launchpad encourages more non-programming users to send in and
react on bugs and patches via the "answers"-interface.

By this, maybe at least some of the maintenance tasks can be distributed
more evenly among people who would occasionaly check out a few lines of
code but who don't feel familiar enough with lisp an a large scale.

Just a thought...

Cheers,
Thomas Renkert

* Re: Re: Co-maintainer, a least for some time?
@ 2010-05-20 21:34   ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2010-05-20 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Renkert; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On May 20, 2010, at 1:52 PM, Thomas Renkert wrote:

> What about using launchpad.net for bugtracking?

GitHub also has simple issue tracking, with the advantage that it can bind very closely with Git commits.

John

* Re: Re: Co-maintainer, a least for some time?
@ 2010-05-20 21:57     ` Greg Newman
From: Greg Newman @ 2010-05-20 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wiegley; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Thomas Renkert

I have a mirror of Org up on Bitbucket at
http://bitbucket.org/mirror/org-mode
It wouldn't take much to have Jesper turn on the issues feature for it if
there is interest. (just sayin)

@ 2010-05-20 22:24       ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2010-05-20 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Newman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Thomas Renkert

On May 20, 2010, at 5:57 PM, Greg Newman wrote:

> I have a mirror of Org up on Bitbucket at http://bitbucket.org/mirror/org-mode
> It wouldn't take much to have Jesper turn on the issues feature for it if there is interest. (just sayin)

I have a Git mirror on http://github.com/jwiegley/org-mode (have had for some time), and it's issue tracking feature is already on.

John

* Re: Re: Co-maintainer, a least for some time?
@ 2010-05-20 22:52         ` Greg Newman
From: Greg Newman @ 2010-05-20 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wiegley; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Thomas Renkert

wow.  I had no idea John.  Thanks for letting me know!!

@ 2010-05-24 14:50   ` Uday S Reddy
From: Uday S Reddy @ 2010-05-24 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 5/20/2010 6:52 PM, Thomas Renkert wrote:
> What about using launchpad.net for bugtracking?
>
> Bugreports and code reviews can be done via email so they could be cc:ed
> to the traditional mailing list while they would show up at the same
> time in the web interface.
>
> Also, launchpad encourages more non-programming users to send in and
> react on bugs and patches via the "answers"-interface.
>
> By this, maybe at least some of the maintenance tasks can be distributed
> more evenly among people who would occasionaly check out a few lines of
> code but who don't feel familiar enough with lisp an a large scale.

Plus 1 for Launchpad.

We use it for maintaining VM and the collection of facilities on the site work quite well.  The main downside is its over-reliance on the web.  The other is that it uses Bazaar for version control, which is probably not as streamlined as Git.

But Launchpad is an integrated project management site that allows you to schedule milestores/releases, allocate bugs/issues to them, and makes sure that everything gets done.  It provides for a variety of roles such as bug supervisor, driver, release manager etc., and allow for bugs/issues to be allocated to various members of the team.  For a large team of contributors, which is what Org mode seems to be tending towards, it could be a big win.

You can check out the VM home page, https://launchpad.net/vm, to see how it works.

Cheers,
Uday