From: Scot Becker <scot.becker@gmail.com>
To: Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: how difficultwould it be to support zotero in org?
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 21:12:10 +0100	[thread overview]

Another Zotero + org user here.  Right now I do what Christian does: export
Zotero to slightly tweaked
<http://github.com/commonman/zotero-bibtex-sb>BibTeX, and insert with
RefTeX's amazingly cool reference-insertion
interface (another genius piece of work by Carsten).  I can think of two
profitable ways to make inserting references from one's Zotero database into
org-mode notes better, and one further way that org-mode could be more
tightly linked with Zotero.

1)  A utility (presumably part firefox plugin) which keeps a BibTeX file in
sync with one of Zotero's collections.  That way you don't have to do a full
manual export of your Zotero collection every time you add or change
something.  RefTeX provides the citation insertion interface.  Something
similar this to
exists<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/56806/>for LyX.
It doesn't sync a whole Z. collection, but creates a .bib file
with the items you actually cite in your document.  The author (an Emacs
user) even considered generalizing it for use without LyX runing, i.e. for
Emacs, but didn't find enough steam (after all, he uses LyX).  (I also know
that Mendeley can be made to auto-import from Zotero and to auto-export to
BibTeX, but Mendeley's BibTeX export is not flexible.)

2)  a org-mode-specific plain-text citation mechanism, analogous to BibTeX,
but useful for both LaTeX and non-LaTeX exports.  It would presumably have a
CSL backend, and work the way that
citeproc-hs<http://code.haskell.org/citeproc-hs/>works for pandoc.
Presumably it could also use a RefTeX-like interface for
citation insertion.

3) Easier ways to take reading notes (in org) on items in the Zotero
database, with two way linking.  (Thanks already for the tips in this
thread.)

Scot