* Is it possible to repeat tasks only a certain amount of times?
@ 2017-09-13 11:01 Göktuğ Kayaalp
From: Göktuğ Kayaalp @ 2017-09-13 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have a task with the following timestamp:

<2017-09-18 Pzt 14:25-18:40 +1w>

which represents an event that's going to repeat every week during a
certain period (it's not a TODO item).  With this timestamp however in
my agenda it repeats forever until when I'll finally archive it.
Ideally I'd have sth like the following:

<2017-09-18 Pzt 14:25-18:40 +1w #9>

where the final ‘#9’ means that the event will only repeat _8 times_
(i.e. 9 times with the initial instance).  Is this somehow already
possible, or else would it be plausible to implement this mainstream (I
could try to generate a patch in the coming weeks for this, tho it would
take a while as I'm not very familiar with org's innards and I wont have
lots of free time)?

I have tried the following:

<2017-09-18 Pzt 14:25-18:40 +1w>--<another date>

but then the entry appears (unsurprisingly) on my agenda every day,
instead of only on Monday, which I dont want at all (these are lessons
that repeat every certain day of each week of a certain period, and they
are many).

Thanks in advance,

       Göktuğ.

--
İ. Göktuğ Kayaalp               http://www.gkayaalp.com/index.html

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Is it possible to repeat tasks only a certain amount of times?
@ 2017-09-13 19:23 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2017-09-13 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Göktuğ Kayaalp; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wednesday, 13 Sep 2017 at 14:01, Göktuğ Kayaalp wrote:
> I have tried the following:
>
> <2017-09-18 Pzt 14:25-18:40 +1w>--<another date>

I think this is discussed in the FAQ on the org mode web site but, in
any case, no, you cannot do what you want.  You may wish to look at
,----

`----

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 26.0.50, Org release_9.0.9-573-g09e612

@ 2017-09-13 23:58 ` Jorge Morais Neto
From: Jorge Morais Neto @ 2017-09-13 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Göktuğ Kayaalp; +Cc: org mode

How about a diary-style sexp entry, with org-class?  That is, something
like ~<%%(org-class 2017 7 31 2018 3 23 1)>~.  That example would appear
on the agenda on every Monday between 2017-07-31 and 2018-03-23.

Regards

--
- I am Brazilian.  I hope my English is correct and I welcome feedback
- Please adopt free formats like PDF, ODF, Org, LaTeX, Opus, WebM and 7z

* Re: Is it possible to repeat tasks only a certain amount of times?
@ 2017-09-14  8:05   ` Göktuğ Kayaalp
From: Göktuğ Kayaalp @ 2017-09-14  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2017-09-13 20:58 +03, Jorge Morais Neto <jorge13515@gmail.com> wrote:
> How about a diary-style sexp entry, with org-class?  That is, something
> like ~<%%(org-class 2017 7 31 2018 3 23 1)>~.  That example would appear
> on the agenda on every Monday between 2017-07-31 and 2018-03-23.

Thanks a lot, this in combination with the hours of the event in the
title (I didn't know that this worked) works nicely in Org Agenda, but
unfortunately such entries do not get exported to ICS, which is
important for me.  It seems to me that my only option ATM is what Eric S
Fraga pointed, but that's rather tedious as things like lessons change
during the year (different classrooms, time changes).

Cheers,
-g.

--
İ. Göktuğ Kayaalp              http://www.gkayaalp.com/index.html
self@gkayaalp.com    🎀            PGP = 024C 30DD 597D 142B 49AC

* Re: Is it possible to repeat tasks only a certain amount of times?
@ 2017-09-14  8:27     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2017-09-14  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Göktuğ Kayaalp; +Cc: emacs-orgmode