* Creating consecutive time stamps
@ 2017-04-04  7:00 Michael Welle
From: Michael Welle @ 2017-04-04  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

the subject is a bit fuzzy, so let me depict an example use case:
creating an appointment for a multi-day conference. I use a capture
template with the placeholder %T for that (I use the same template for
single day appts, which occur more often.). Then I adjust the inserted
time stamp, add --, press C-. and add the second time stamp.

So far, good. The itching point is that the calendar view for the second
time stamp starts today, again, not at the date of the first time stamp.
I can dimly remember -or I think I do ;)- that that was different in the
past, maybe with a different template. Any ideas for a 'grey ointment'
that stops the itching?

Regards
hmw

* Re: Creating consecutive time stamps
@ 2017-04-04 10:49 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2017-04-04 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Welle; +Cc: org-mode list

Hi MIchael,

the automatic reset of the starting date for a second time stamp on works
if the command `org-time-stamp' is invoked twice in direct succession.  So
if you press `C-c  .'  to insert a time stamp, and then you press it
immediately again, the magic will take its course.  This is probably the
situation that you remember.

However, if you use %T in a template, then `last-command' is `org-capture',
and the time stamp command does not know that you are making a range.  I
could, by looking back and finding <...>-- , but that is not implemented.
You might be better off Using an empty template and then inserting both
time stamps with `C-c .' - which will make it easy to also directly choose
the starting date.

Carsten

@ 2017-04-04 16:40   ` Michael Welle
From: Michael Welle @ 2017-04-04 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello Carsten,

Carsten Dominik <dominik@uva.nl> writes:

> Hi MIchael,
>
> the automatic reset of the starting date for a second time stamp on works
> if the command `org-time-stamp' is invoked twice in direct succession.  So
> if you press `C-c  .'  to insert a time stamp, and then you press it
> immediately again, the magic will take its course.  This is probably the
> situation that you remember.
ah, suddenly all makes sense ;). I changed the template a couple of
years ago. It could well be that I inserted both time stamps vie C-c.
before the change.

> However, if you use %T in a template, then `last-command' is `org-capture',
> and the time stamp command does not know that you are making a range.  I
> could, by looking back and finding <...>-- , but that is not implemented.
> You might be better off Using an empty template and then inserting both
> time stamps with `C-c .' - which will make it easy to also directly choose
> the starting date.
Yes, that's way faster than navigation the calendar two times, esp. if
the appointment is far in the future.

Thank you
hmw