* GTD & LaTeX export
@ 2007-12-09  9:42 Gour
       [not found] ` <3d6808890712100508j78df858ak6643b31e710626b8@mail.gmail.com>
From: Gour @ 2007-12-09  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi!

I'm moving from my old Palm Pilot to Hipster PDA (most probably with A7 format which is more
convenient in Europe than 3x5" index cards), but would like to 'sync' some of the notes from
it to Org-mode (especially computer-related tasks), but also to print from my org-mode file back
to A7 forms arranged as 8-up on A4 page.

Is anybody doing something similar, i.e. printing from org-mode files to 3x5"/A7/whatever paper?

Any hint is welcome...

Sincerely,
Gour

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: GTD & LaTeX export
@ 2007-12-10 12:24 ` Pete Phillips
       [not found] ` <3d6808890712100508j78df858ak6643b31e710626b8@mail.gmail.com>
From: Pete Phillips @ 2007-12-10 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gour; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Gour

I wrote the enclosed perl script about 18 months ago.  I don't use it
anymore, as I use my hipster mainly as a capture device, and have
org-mode up and running on my Leneovo x61s which is with me pretty much
all the time.

It should still work - any probs, let me know. It basically looks for
any headlines which match the provided tag, and spits them out packaged
in latex code for 3x5 index cards.  I used lyx to get the appropriate
latex code.

The documentation is in the file itself.

Pete

[-- Attachment #2: org-na.pl --]
[-- Type: application/x-perl, Size: 11295 bytes --]

* Re: GTD & LaTeX export
       [not found] ` <3d6808890712100508j78df858ak6643b31e710626b8@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2007-12-10 13:08   ` Tim O'Callaghan
From: Tim O'Callaghan @ 2007-12-10 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 09/12/2007, Gour <gour@atmarama.org> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm moving from my old Palm Pilot to Hipster PDA (most probably with A7 format which is more
> convenient in Europe than 3x5" index cards), but would like to 'sync' some of the notes from
> it to Org-mode (especially computer-related tasks), but also to print from my org-mode file back
> to A7 forms arranged as 8-up on A4 page.
>
> Is anybody doing something similar, i.e. printing from org-mode files to 3x5"/A7/whatever paper?
>
> Any hint is welcome...
>

> Sincerely,
> Gour

If you check the list, someone had a method of creating 8up
pocket-mod type output from Latex->pdf manipulation.

I had a project, which i have shelved for the moment, that would
do the same using org->XML->XSLT->SVG->PDF translation. Its for
a 4/6/8 up single sided A4 page. It needs to be migrated from
SVG to XSL-FO to get the text formatting right (and double sided A4),
but I can dig it out if you're interested.

Tim.

* Re: GTD & LaTeX export
@ 2007-12-10 14:38     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-12-10 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: gour, Christian Egli, tim.ocallaghan

"Tim O'Callaghan" <tim.ocallaghan@gmail.com> writes:

> On 09/12/2007, Gour <gour@atmarama.org> wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I'm moving from my old Palm Pilot to Hipster PDA (most probably with
>> A7 format which is more convenient in Europe than 3x5" index cards),
>> but would like to 'sync' some of the notes from it to Org-mode
>> (especially computer-related tasks), but also to print from my
>> org-mode file back to A7 forms arranged as 8-up on A4 page.
>>
>> Is anybody doing something similar, i.e. printing from org-mode files
>> to 3x5"/A7/whatever paper?
>
> If you check the list, someone had a method of creating 8up
> pocket-mod type output from Latex->pdf manipulation.

I'm attaching the code from Christian Egli here again.

I don't know if it is distributed somewhere : Christian, would you be
okay to distribute it?  If you don't have a web server at your disposal,
I can put the code somewhere on my org-mode page, or maybe Carsten can
put it on http://orgmode.org

[-- Attachment #2: org2pocketMob.sh --]
[-- Type: text/x-sh, Size: 3047 bytes --]

# org2pocketMod - a small utility to generate pocketMod style printouts
# from org mode Copyright (C) 2007 Christian Egli
#
# Version: 0.2
#
# This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
# the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
# (at your option) any later version.
#
#
# along with this program.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

EMACS = /usr/local/bin/emacs-23.0.0 -batch -l ~/.emacs.el
LATEX = /usr/bin/latex

hipsterFiles =  weekCalendar.pdf \
		yearCalendar.pdf \
		monthCalendar3.pdf \
		monthCalendar2.pdf \
		monthCalendar1.pdf

pocketModFiles =  weekCalendar.pdf \
		  yearCalendar-rotated.pdf \
		  monthCalendar3-rotated.pdf \
		  monthCalendar2-rotated.pdf \
		  monthCalendar1-rotated.pdf

all: pocketMod.pdf hipsterPDA.pdf

# Quick hack to massage the LaTeX produced by cal-tex
# quote '@', then increase font size of week calendars and
# finaly increase font of diary entries in moth calendar

%.dvi: %.tex
	sed 	-e 's/\\verb|@|/\@/g' \
		-e 's/documentclass\[11pt\]/documentclass[12pt]/g' \
		-e 's/{\\tiny \\raggedright #3}/{\\small \\raggedright #3}/g' \
		< $< > /tmp/temp-org-file.$$$$; mv /tmp/temp-org-file.$$$$ $<
	$(LATEX) $^

%.pdf: %.dvi
	dvipdf $^

%-rotated.pdf: %.pdf
	cp $^ $@
	for n in 1 2 3; do \
		pdf90 --outfile tmp.pdf $@; mv tmp.pdf $@; \
	done

weekCalendar.tex: ~/.diary
	$(EMACS) -eval "(progn (calendar) (cal-tex-cursor-week-iso 4) (with-current-buffer cal-tex-buffer (write-file \"$@\")))"

monthCalendar1.tex: ~/.diary
	 $(EMACS) -eval "(progn (calendar) (cal-tex-cursor-month-landscape 1) (with-current-buffer cal-tex-buffer (write-file \"$@\")))"

monthCalendar2.tex: ~/.diary
	 $(EMACS) -eval "(progn (calendar) (calendar-forward-month 1) (cal-tex-cursor-month-landscape 1) (with-current-buffer cal-tex-buffer (write-file \"$@\")))"

monthCalendar3.tex: ~/.diary
	 $(EMACS) -eval "(progn (calendar) (calendar-forward-month 2) (cal-tex-cursor-month-landscape 1) (with-current-buffer cal-tex-buffer (write-file \"$@\")))"

yearCalendar.tex: ~/.diary
	 $(EMACS) -eval "(progn (calendar) (calendar-forward-month 2) (cal-tex-cursor-year-landscape 1) (with-current-buffer cal-tex-buffer (write-file \"$@\")))"

pocketMod.pdf: $(pocketModFiles)
	pdfjoin --outfile tmp.pdf $^
	pdfnup tmp.pdf --outfile $@ --nup 4x2 --frame true

hipsterPDA.pdf: $(hipsterFiles)
	pdfnup weekCalendar.pdf --outfile page1.pdf --nup 2x2 --frame true
	pdfjoin --outfile tmp.pdf monthCalendar[1-3]-rotated.pdf yearCalendar-rotated.pdf
	pdfnup tmp.pdf --outfile page2.pdf --nup 2x2 --frame true
	pdfjoin --outfile $@ page1.pdf page2.pdf

clean:
	rm -rf *.aux *.dvi *.tex *.log *.pdf

Bastien

* Re: GTD & LaTeX export
@ 2007-12-10 16:08       ` francois
From: francois @ 2007-12-10 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg <at> altern.org> writes:

> I'm attaching the code from Christian Egli here again.
> Attachment (org2pocketMob.sh): text/x-sh, 3047 bytes

hey,

I missed the previous post from Christian. I tried the make file and get some
really nice calendars.
But inputs are based from the diary file, and I use org.. how to tell that the
diary input has to be produced by org.

thanks a lot.

* Re: Re: GTD & LaTeX export
@ 2007-12-10 18:11         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-12-10 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

francois <francois.temp1@bruit.gotdns.org> writes:

> Bastien <bzg <at> altern.org> writes:
>
>> I'm attaching the code from Christian Egli here again.
>> Attachment (org2pocketMob.sh): text/x-sh, 3047 bytes
>
> But inputs are based from the diary file, and I use org.. how to tell
> that the diary input has to be produced by org.

To get the diary entries included in Org agendas:

  (setq org-agenda-include-diary t)

See (info "(org)Weekly/Daily agenda") for details.

To get the org agenda entries included in the diary:

  &%%(org-diary :scheduled :deadline :timestamp)

HTH,

--
Bastien

* Re: GTD & LaTeX export
@ 2007-12-10 23:43       ` Christian Egli
From: Christian Egli @ 2007-12-10 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> I'm attaching the code from Christian Egli here again.
>
> I don't know if it is distributed somewhere : Christian, would you be
> okay to distribute it?

I would love to distribute it, that's the whole point.

> If you don't have a web server at your disposal,

I don't really.

> I can put the code somewhere on my org-mode page, or maybe Carsten can
> put it on http://orgmode.org

It would be great if Carsten could host it. I don't want to impose any
burden on him if I need to upload a new version.

Here's an updated version which includes a few comments and feedback
from the list.

[-- Attachment #2: Makefile to generate pocketMods --]
[-- Type: text/x-sh, Size: 3179 bytes --]

# org2pocketMod - a small utility to generate pocketMod style printouts from org mode
# Copyright (C) 2007  Christian Egli
#
# Version: 0.3
#
# This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
# the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
# (at your option) any later version.
#
#
# along with this program.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.
#
# Commentary:
#
# set cal-tex-diary to true so that diary entries show up in the calendar
#
# the pdf* commands are part of the pdfjam package which can be found
# at http://www.warwick.ac.uk/go/pdfjam

EMACS = emacs -batch -l ~/.emacs
LATEX = latex

[...]

HTH
Christian

* Re: Re: GTD & LaTeX export
@ 2007-12-11  0:01         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-12-11  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Egli; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Christian Egli <christian.egli@novell.com> writes:

> It would be great if Carsten could host it. I don't want to impose any
> burden on him if I need to upload a new version.

I've put v0.3 there for now:

  http://www.cognition.ens.fr/~guerry/bastien-org-mode.html

(I'll rewrite this page sooner or later...)

Bastien