* Todo state for [un]ordered list items?
@ 2010-03-27 19:41 John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2010-03-27 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

When I take notes at work, I tend to like to minimize my headlines and use
list items instead. Part of this is simply due to how things look when
exported. To use headlines for everything looks peculiar to me, at least
under the default settings anyway. So... my typical work org-file is like
so:

* Projects
** Project 1
*** History/Overview
*** Journals
**** <2010-03-27 Sat>
***** Main thing I did 1
- did stuff
- did some more stuff
  - some sub stuff
** Project 2
* Talks/Courses
* Ideas

Most likely I'll have one heading under the timestemp shown for each
activity for that project that day and the rest will be hyphen lists. My
problem is that I can't make any of the unordered list items todos -- it
just makes the headline a todo. I'm already at 5 headlines deep and really
don't want to make headlines just for a todo that has it's place in my
bulleted notes.

My questions are:
- Does anyone else find the idea of an unordered todo helpful, but one
that's not part of a headline?
- If so, how could it be implemented?
- If not, I'm absolutely game to hear alternative work flows and how others
manage without this feature at present!
--- So far, I've just been making the headline a TODO and then putting in a
[/] at the top; unordered list items that are todos also have a [ ] which is
tracked by the top level todo.
- Bonus: if this is the best (headline = todo and unordered lists are check
boxes), how can I implement a shortcut to toggle the 'todo checkbox' state
for unordered list items? It would be awesome to have a C-c C-t equivalent
for sub-items such that they were given a checkbox!

Many thanks,
John