On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 2:15 PM, Memnon Anon < gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> wrote: > John Hendy writes > > * Projects > > ** Project 1 > > *** History/Overview > > *** Journals > > **** <2010-03-27 Sat> > > ***** Main thing I did 1 > > - did stuff > --snip-- First, I would suggest a different organisation. You are 5 headlines > deep, because you chose this kind of setup, but with some tweaking, you > could avoid this: > a) Give each Project an own file. > b) Don't give dates a headline. > So, you would have a file like this: > > * Project 1 > ** History/Overview > ** Journals > *** DONE Main thing I did 1 > <2010-03-27 Sat> > *** TODO Stuff 2 > *** TODO Stuff 3 > > I started this way (pro1.org, pro2.org, etc.) but found changing buffers constantly to be annoying. I much prefer them all in one place now, but am still open to changing that! I can see advantages to the one-file-per-project idea. For instance I just wrote up a paper at home and exporting to html/latex was far easier since it had the whole file to play in. I would have had a harder time getting just my paper out of a whole ' personal.org' file... Followup/claification: - what are your pro/cons for why you go one file per project vs. a big file? I know different people have different opinions on this. I believe Carsten said in at least one of his main talks on org-mode that he has on big one as does Sacha Chua who I emailed with a little and uses org-mode a ton. - The journals are not always todos. Sometimes they are just notes, but need a time stamp anyway. I can see your point of doing it that way. I burn a headline level just on the time stamp. - My main purpose of the time stamps is that I need to print my status and then double side tape it into an intellectual property notebook. I think I can do this with agenda. Side note: I wonder about putting one file vs. many files in this new 'beginner tutorial' to help new people choose a set up when first starting? Might be cool. Not to say one is better, but to at least offer what I'm looking for: experience users' input as to what is benefited from one style vs. the other and what functionality is gained/lost/tougher. > If you want to review what you did on a specific day, use the agenda for > this. For "substuff", if it is really not worth a separate task, there > are lists. > I will look into agenda more. Have not explored it's functionality much yet. Been on org-mode for about 2 weeks! > > - If not, I'm absolutely game to hear alternative work flows and how > > others manage without this feature at present! > > --- So far, I've just been making the headline a TODO and then putting > > in a [/] at the top; unordered list items that are todos also have a [ > > ] which is tracked by the top level todo. - Bonus: if this is the best > > (headline = todo and unordered lists are check boxes), how can I > > implement a shortcut to toggle the 'todo checkbox' state for unordered > > list items? It would be awesome to have a C-c C-t equivalent for > > sub-items such that they were given a checkbox! > > I do not understand, did you miss this: > ,----[ (info "(org)The very busy C-c C-c key") ] > | - If the cursor is in a plain list item with a checkbox, toggle the > | status of the checkbox. > `---- > Sorry, this is not what I meant. You answered my 'state' question in your next point with C-c C-x C-b. I know how to toggle the checkbox 'state'... I meant to toggle the state of having a checkbox... period, aka go from - item 1 to - [ ] item 1 > To make a checkbox without typing "[ ]", use C-c C-x C-b: > ,----[ (info "(org)Checkboxes") ] > | `C-c C-x C-b' > | Toggle checkbox status or (with prefix arg) checkbox presence at > | point. With double prefix argument, set it to `[-]', which is > | considered to be an intermediate state. > | - If there is an active region, toggle the first checkbox in > | the region and set all remaining boxes to the same status as > | the first. With a prefix arg, add or remove the checkbox for > | all items in the region. > | > | - If the cursor is in a headline, toggle checkboxes in the > | region between this headline and the next (so _not_ the > | entire subtree). > | > | - If there is no active region, just toggle the checkbox at > | point. > `---- > > This is what I was looking for. Dumb that I missed it. In my skimming, only the 'toggle checkbox status' descriptions were popping out to me so it seemed to be for something of a tree-level C-c C-c vs. what it actually does. Even after re-reading it, though, it seems confusing: - I don't get what a '[double] prefix arg' is. C-c C-x C-b does indeed, add a check box to an unordered list item no matter where I am on the line, but according to this, since I'm not providing a prefix argument (with C-u, right?), it should only toggle the status? But there is no 'status' so it adds? - How do I get the box to go away if I don't want it anymore? > If you need this very often, you may want to bind this to an easier > keycombo. > > Did this help so far? > > memnon > P.S. Somewhat un-related, but while taking about lists... In an unordered list like this (my todo list for today) * TODO [0/4] <2010-03-27 Sat> - floors - [ ] sweep or vacuum all hardwood - [ ] wash all hardwood - [ ] wash hardwood floors - [ ] wash kitchen floor - [ ] send envelopes via post office - [ ] vacuum back stairs and hallway If I have either - floors or - [/] floors then * TODO says [0/4] (it's only counting the sub-items under floors). If I have - [ ] floors then TODOS says [0/3] (it's counting the highest level items: floors, send, and vacuum) Aren't - [ ] send envelopes via post office - [ ] vacuum back stairs and hallway Still under the todo headline whether -floors is a checkbox or not? Shouldn't they be counted? Based on the example here ( http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/org/Checkboxes.html), I should get the behavior I expect. In fact, when yanking it into my file, I get this instead of what's shown on the tutorial page: * TODO Organize party [1/3] (instead of [3/6] - call people [1/3] - [ ] Peter - [X] Sarah - [ ] Sam - [X] order food - [ ] think about what music to play - [X] talk to the neighbors Bug or something in .emacs that I'm unaware of? Sincere thanks, John > _______________________________________________ > Emacs-orgmode mailing list > Please use `Reply All' to send replies to the list. > Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org > http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacs-orgmode >