* Underlines and strike-through lines in column view
@ 2008-04-24 14:55 Wanrong Lin
From: Wanrong Lin @ 2008-04-24 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

In the column view, I often see some underlines and strike-through lines
that show up kind of randomly. I have seen this for quite sometime,
maybe since I began to use the column view 3 or 4 months ago. Are there
any special meanings for those lines or they are just noise? I am now
using Emacs 22.2 (on windows) and org-6.02. Thank you.

Wanrong

* Re: Underlines and strike-through lines in column view
@ 2008-04-24 16:44 ` Jose Robins
From: Jose Robins @ 2008-04-24 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wanrong Lin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the column view, I often see some underlines and strike-through lines
> that show up kind of randomly. I have seen this for quite sometime,
> maybe since I began to use the column view 3 or 4 months ago. Are there
> any special meanings for those lines or they are just noise? I am now
> using Emacs 22.2 (on windows) and org-6.02. Thank you.

I've also seen this. Do you have it setup such that the DONE items have
strikethru property set? I think in Column mode, org-mode gets confused
about this and the strike thru shows up inconsistently. Not sure if
there is another explanation.

Jose

* Re: Underlines and strike-through lines in column view
@ 2008-04-25 13:52 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-04-25 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Apr 24, 2008, at 4:55 PM, Wanrong Lin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the column view, I often see some underlines and strike-through
> lines that show up kind of randomly. I have seen this for quite
> sometime, maybe since I began to use the column view 3 or 4 months
> ago. Are there any special meanings for those lines or they are just
> noise? I am now using Emacs 22.2 (on windows) and org-6.02. Thank you.

This happens because each column is an overlay over a one character in
the line below, and it seems that the properties of the underlying
faces are still coming through.  Column one
has the properties of character one in the line, column two that of
character two, etc.

Fixed now, I think.

Why in the world would you be using a strike-through face?  There is
nothing more ugly in the world of typography than strike-through
faces, and web sites that use it immediately get onto the black list
of my parental control program :-)

- Carsten

* Re: Underlines and strike-through lines in column view
@ 2008-04-30 21:25   ` Wanrong Lin
From: Wanrong Lin @ 2008-04-30 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Carsten,

I just tried org-mode version 6.02b, which seems to have the fix
included. Glad those "line noises" disappeared. However, there seems to
be some new (compared with 6.02) problems now:

1. Before the fix (6.02), faces of headings in org files are preserved
in the column view. In 6.02b, text in column view is all in the same
face. Can we restore the 6.02 behavior?
2. Customization for org-column face does not work right. Even though I
only customized the "background" property of org-column face and hence
expect the font stays the same as my default font (a bold font), but the
font changes to regular (no bold text). Funny thing is, the sample text
showed in the face customization window is in the correct font, but the
actual font in the org file (column view) is not. Also even after I
forced the "Weight" to be "bold", that still did not work. My org-column
face is as following:

         Family: unspecified
          Width: unspecified
         Height: unspecified
         Weight: unspecified
          Slant: unspecified
     Foreground: unspecified
     Background: gray80
      Underline: unspecified
       Overline: unspecified
 Strike-through: unspecified
            Box: unspecified
        Inverse: unspecified
        Stipple: unspecified
Font or fontset: nil
        Inherit: unspecified

Thanks a lot if you can take a look of it.

Wanrong

@ 2008-05-01  8:07     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-05-01  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fixed, thanks.

- Carsten

@ 2008-05-07 22:23       ` Wanrong Lin
From: Wanrong Lin @ 2008-05-07 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Carsten,

I just tried your patch for this fix, the column view faces are OK now,
but those strike-through line noises come back again. Seems we can not
get both. :-)

Wanrong

@ 2008-05-08  6:29         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-05-08  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Wanrong,

I cannot reproduce this,, works just fine for me.

- Carsten

@ 2008-05-08 14:32           ` Wanrong Lin
From: Wanrong Lin @ 2008-05-08 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just a reminder: do you have any TODO faces with strike-through lines?
Remember the line noises will only happen when that is true.

Also, maybe there are some other check-ins after your patch that fixed
this. I only tried your patch, not the latest GIT revision. I can just
wait until next release to test again.

Thanks a lot.

Wanrong

@ 2008-05-15 17:40             ` Wanrong Lin
From: Wanrong Lin @ 2008-05-15 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Feedback: I just tested again on org 6.03, and the "line noises" are
still there in the column view.

Wanrong

@ 2008-05-16  7:23               ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-05-16  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Wanrong,

I have lost track a bit of the details, so in order to fix this, can
you please make me a test case with a minimal .emacs that contrains
your face definitions, and a small example file.  Please make it work
so that

emacs -q -l minimal.emacs

will reproduce the problem.  Please also include the exact version of
Emacs you are using.

Thanks.

- Carsten

@ 2008-05-16 14:52                 ` Wanrong Lin
From: Wanrong Lin @ 2008-05-16 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Carsten,

Attached is a minim emacs config file I made that can reproduce the
problem using "emacs -q -l minimal.el". The first line of the file add
the load-path to the org-mode package, so you may need to change it.
Also attached is a simple two-line org-file that you can open to see the
problem in column-view. My face settings are for light background.

Besides those strike-through lines and underlines, I also noticed that
there is a light gray vertical line in the "PRI" column. It has
something to do with my use of "box" face for org-column, but I wonder
whether that can get fixed together, as those strike-through and
underlines start right from that vertical line.

I am using the official GNU Emacs 22.2 on Windows XP.

Thanks a lot for looking into this.

Wanrong

Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Hi Wanrong,
>
> I have lost track a bit of the details, so in order to fix this, can
> you please make me a test case with a minimal .emacs that contrains
> your face definitions, and a small example file.  Please make it work
> so that
>
> emacs -q -l minimal.emacs
>
> will reproduce the problem.  Please also include the exact version of
> Emacs you are using.
>
> Thanks.
>
> - Carsten
>
> On May 15, 2008, at 7:40 PM, Wanrong Lin wrote:
>

>> Feedback: I just tested again on org 6.03, and the "line noises" are
>> still there in the column view.
>>
>> Wanrong
>>
>> Wanrong Lin wrote:
>>>
>>> Just a reminder: do you have any TODO faces with strike-through
>>> lines? Remember the line noises will only happen when that is true.
>>>
>>> Also, maybe there are some other check-ins after your patch that
>>> fixed this. I only tried your patch, not the latest GIT revision. I
>>> can just wait until next release to test again.
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot.
>>>
>>> Wanrong

[-- Attachment #2: minimal.el --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 4519 bytes --]

;; org-config.el, config file for emacs org-mode
;; Time-stamp: <2008-05-16 10:42:58 linw>
;; Tested with emacs 22.1 and org-5.14
;;
;; Wanrong Lin

(setq my-local-extra-loadpath "c:/linw/.emacs-lisp/")
(add-to-list 'load-path (concat my-local-extra-loadpath "org/lisp"))
(add-to-list 'load-path (concat my-local-extra-loadpath "org/CONTRIB/lisp"))

(require 'org-install)

(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist
             '("\\.org\\'"            . org-mode))

;; TODO keywords
(setq org-todo-keywords '((sequence "TODO(t)" "STARTED(s!)" "WAITING(w@/!)" "MAYBE(m/!)" "DELEGATED(g@/!)" "DEFERRED(d!/!)" "HOLD(h!/!)" "|" "DONE(x)" "CANCELED(c)")))
(custom-set-faces
 ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.

 '(org-level-1  ((t (:weight bold))))                          ;; bold

 ;; normal text
 ;; '(org-level-2  ((t nil)))          ;; normal text
 ;; Use the following complicated format because the above line does not work very well
 ;; with column view (in org-mode 5.12c)
 '(org-level-2  ((((background light)) (:foreground "#000000")) ;; black (with light background)
                 (t (:foreground "#F0F0F0"))))                  ;; white (with dark background)

 '(org-level-3  ((t (:foreground "#800000"))))                 ;; dark red
 '(org-level-4  ((t (:foreground "#0000FF"))))                 ;; blue
 '(org-level-5  ((t (:foreground "#006000"))))                 ;; dark green
 '(org-level-6  ((t (:foreground "#B020A0"))))                 ;; purple
 '(org-level-7  ((t (:foreground "#0060C0"))))                 ;; green blue
 '(org-level-8  ((t (:foreground "#4030C0"))))                 ;; purple blue

 '(org-agenda-structure ((t (:foreground "#0040C0" :weight bold)))) ;; dark green blue
 '(org-agenda-date ((t (:foreground "#800000" :weight bold)))) ;; dark red
 '(org-agenda-date-weekend ((t (:foreground "#006000" :weight bold)))) ;; dark green
 '(org-scheduled-today ((t (:foreground "#0000FF")))) ;; bright blue
 '(org-scheduled-previously ((t (:foreground "#181880")))) ;; dark green blue
 '(org-upcoming-deadline ((t (:foreground "#C00000")))) ;; middle red
 '(org-warning ((t (:foreground "#C00000" :weight bold)))) ;; bold middle red
 '(org-todo ((t (:foreground "#B020A0" :weight bold))))    ;; purple
 '(org-done ((t (:foreground "#008000" :strike-through t :weight bold)))) ;; bold dark green
 ;; <TODO: use "background-color" in "default-frame-alist" instead of hard coding it here>
 `(org-hide ((t (:foreground "white")))) ;; same as background
 '(org-table ((((class color) (min-colors 512)) (:foreground "#181880" :background "#98D0D8"))
              (t (:foreground "#181880"))))   ;; dark green blue
 '(org-drawer ((t (:foreground "#0040C0"))))  ;; dark green blue
 '(org-formula ((t (:foreground "#800000")))) ;; dark red
 '(org-time-grid ((t (:foreground "#B8860B")))) ;; dark golden rod
 ;; '(org-link ((((class color) (background light)) (:foreground "#A020F0" :underline t)))) ;; official purple
 ;; '(org-date ((((class color) (background light)) (:foreground "#A020F0" :underline t)))) ;; official purple
 '(org-link ((t (:foreground "#5050FF" :underline t)))) ;; light blue
 '(org-date ((t (:foreground "#5050FF" :underline t)))) ;; light blue
 '(org-tag ((t (:foreground "#008000" :weight bold))))
 '(org-code ((t (:foreground "#505050"))))            ;; gray
 '(org-special-keyword ((t (:foreground "#205060")))) ;; dark green blue
 '(org-column ((t (:background "gray80" :box (:line-width 1 :color "grey70")))))
 )

;; pale org-todo face
(defface my-org-todo-faded '((t (:inherit org-todo :foreground "#7050B8")))
  "Face for to-do items in a background/faded state.")

(setq org-todo-keyword-faces
      '(
        ("STARTED"    .   (:inherit org-todo :slant italic :underline t))
        ("WAITING"    .   (:inherit org-todo :slant italic :underline t))
        ("DELEGATED"  .   (:inherit org-todo :slant italic :underline t))
        ("DEFERRED"   .   (:inherit my-org-todo-faded))
        ("HOLD"       .   (:inherit my-org-todo-faded))
        ("MAYBE"      .   (:inherit my-org-todo-faded))
        ("CANCELED"   .   (:inherit my-org-todo-faded :strike-through t))))

(defface my-org-ellipsis-face '((t (:underline t :weight bold)))
  "Face folding ellipsis.")
(setq org-ellipsis 'my-org-ellipsis-face)

(setq org-hide-leading-stars t)

(provide 'org-config)
;; org-config.el ends here

[-- Attachment #3: test.org --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 44 bytes --]

* DONE Just a test
* STARTED Another test

* Re: Underlines and strike-through lines in column view
@ 2008-05-16 15:20                   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-05-16 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Wanrong,

the org-column face should explicitly mask all face properties that
should not shine through into the column view.  Therefore, the default
org-column face has explicitly

  :underline nil :strike-through nil

and now, after looking at your config, it will also get

  :slant normal

Your configured org-column face does not set these attributes, so
whatever is below will shine through.

Phew, finally this is resolved.  Please customize the face and change
the face accordingly.

- Carsten

@ 2008-05-16 15:26                     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-05-16 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On May 16, 2008, at 5:20 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> Hi Wanrong,
>
> the org-column face should explicitly mask all face properties that
> should not shine through into the column view.  Therefore, the
> default org-column face has explicitly
>
> :underline nil :strike-through nil
>
> and now, after looking at your config, it will also get
>
> :slant normal
>
> Your configured org-column face does not set these attributes, so
> whatever is below will shine through.
>
> Phew, finally this is resolved.  Please customize the face and
> change the face accordingly.
>
> - Carsten

P.S.

And the reason why a color shines through is because your level faces
do not specify a foreground color.  So maybe you also want to specify
the foreground color of org-column, to mask that as well.

@ 2008-05-16 15:29                       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-05-16 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On May 16, 2008, at 5:26 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On May 16, 2008, at 5:20 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>
>> Hi Wanrong,
>>
>> the org-column face should explicitly mask all face properties that
>> should not shine through into the column view.  Therefore, the
>> default org-column face has explicitly
>>
>> :underline nil :strike-through nil
>>
>> and now, after looking at your config, it will also get
>>
>> :slant normal
>>
>> Your configured org-column face does not set these attributes, so
>> whatever is below will shine through.
>>
>> Phew, finally this is resolved.  Please customize the face and
>> change the face accordingly.
>>
>> - Carsten
>
> P.S.
>
> And the reason why a color shines through is because your level
> faces do not specify a foreground color.  So maybe you also want to
> specify the foreground color of org-column, to mask that as well.
>
> - Carsten

P.P.S.  Sorry for posting in pieces.  You can also fix the color by
specifying the color also for your level-1... faces, depending on if
you want the level color, or a standard color in column view.

@ 2008-05-16 16:41                         ` Wanrong Lin
From: Wanrong Lin @ 2008-05-16 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Carsten,

Yes, your solution solved my problem!

Actually I prefer to have the headings' color shine through in the
column view so I can easily tell at which level they are. Just by
changing my org-column face to the following:

 '(org-column ((t (:background "gray80" :underline "gray60"
:strike-through nil :slant normal))))

all works fine now.

Thank you so much!

Wanrong