* FR:  interactive todo creation with remember templates
@ 2008-01-22 14:55 Austin Frank
From: Austin Frank @ 2008-01-22 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello again!

I love all of the options that are available for inclusion in remember
templates.  I've got templates for the kinds of tasks I create most
often.  But sometimes I find myself saying "man, I wish I could just
tack a %^G onto this template", or something similar.  These aren't task
types that I use often enough to justify giving them their own
templates, but I still want to have access to the features offered in
remember templates.

Would it be possible to build a single-use remember template through
prompts at the minibuffer?

I imagine that I would call org-remember, and one of the options would
be "[i]nteractive".  Upon hitting i, a menu (like the one for fast tag
selection) would come up.  It would look like

  t:  timestamp
  T:  timestamp with time
  u:  inactive timestamp
  c:  clipboard contents
  g:  tag selection from target file
  k:  insert keyword information
  [...]

Pressing any of the keys would either enter that feature in the current
remember buffer, or open the appropriate prompt in the minibuffer.

This has several advantages over just visiting the appropriate file and
entering the task manually:  single key strokes for some common
operations (e.g. timestamps), access to link keywords, file inclusion,
and sexp evaluation.

It might also be possible to use this to extend an existing template on
a per-use basis.  I could call org-remember, and instead of hitting "t"
for my todo template, I would hit C-u t.  This would insert the normal
contents of my todo template, but also prompt for additional template
options.

Is something like this possible?

Thanks,
/au

--
Austin Frank
http://aufrank.net

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 185 bytes --]

* Re: FR:  interactive todo creation with remember templates
@ 2008-01-24 15:33 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-01-24 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Austin Frank; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jan 22, 2008, at 3:55 PM, Austin Frank wrote:

> Hello again!
>
> I love all of the options that are available for inclusion in remember
> templates.  I've got templates for the kinds of tasks I create most
> often.  But sometimes I find myself saying "man, I wish I could just
> tack a %^G onto this template", or something similar.  These aren't
> task
> types that I use often enough to justify giving them their own
> templates, but I still want to have access to the features offered in
> remember templates.
>
> Would it be possible to build a single-use remember template through
> prompts at the minibuffer?

I am not yet convinced about how useful this would be.

First of all, "slapping on a %^G" means adding tags.  Since you
probably have %? in the headline of the template anyway, adding tags
is as simple as C-c C-c.... Ahm, no you are right it is not, because
we are
in a remember buffer after all.

Still, just adding % sequences does not really do it because
you still need to decide where the info should go.  So in the end, it
seems to me the the gain will be very minor.  Any other opinions?

- Carsten

* Re: FR: interactive todo creation with remember templates
@ 2008-01-24 16:37   ` Hugo Schmitt
From: Hugo Schmitt @ 2008-01-24 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I think my suggestion doesn't fit orgmode that well, but what if
'org-remember' had 'template' as an optonal argument? (instead of
pulling from org-remember-template interactively).

Then people could write their own menus/keymap/etc before calling remember.
(Hmm, thinking about it, maybe i'll try that myself so i can call
remember from Anything)

-Hugo

@ 2008-01-25 13:58     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-01-25 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hugo Schmitt; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jan 24, 2008, at 5:37 PM, Hugo Schmitt wrote:

> I think my suggestion doesn't fit orgmode that well, but what if
> 'org-remember' had 'template' as an optonal argument? (instead of
> pulling from org-remember-template interactively).
>
> Then people could write their own menus/keymap/etc before calling
> remember.
> (Hmm, thinking about it, maybe i'll try that myself so i can call
> remember from Anything)

If you are wiling to  write lisp code, you can already do this, by
putting
a list with only one template temporarily into org-remember-templates,
like this:

(let ((org-remember-templates
        ("Task" 116 "* TODO %?\n  %u" "~/org/gtd.org" "Tasks")))
   (call-interactively 'org-remember))

When there is only a single template in the list, Org-mode will actually
skip the query for the template and execute it right away.

So yes, you can write a function that does built a template on the fly.

Hope this helps

- Carsten

* Re: FR: interactive todo creation with remember templates
@ 2008-01-25 15:03       ` Hugo Schmitt
From: Hugo Schmitt @ 2008-01-25 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode