* how to get images support in Emacs on Windows?
@ 2015-02-19 23:19 Herbert Sitz
From: Herbert Sitz @ 2015-02-19 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm trying to use inline images on Windows and (I think?) I've gotten to the
point where I understand that this is not available with the standard GNU
Emacs installation on Windows.  My understanding is that I need an
"image.dll" that I can put in the bin directory.  I think that comes as part
of EmacsW32 install, but that install seems to be packaged as a single
executable, not sure how to get image.dll without running a full install of
EmacsW32, which I don't think I want.

So, am I correct in understanding that all I need is that 'image.dll' to get
inline image support on Windows (I'm running v24.4 of Emacs).  If not, what
more do I need to do?  And how can I get (or make) a copy of that .dll?

Thanks,

Herbert

* Re: how to get images support in Emacs on Windows?
@ 2015-02-19 23:33 ` Yuri Niyazov
From: Yuri Niyazov @ 2015-02-19 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Herbert Sitz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

It's not called "image.dll", which may be a source of confusion.

Here are the instructions specifically for PNG images. For each type,
a different DLL is required:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2650041/emacs-under-windows-and-png-files

@ 2015-02-19 23:53 ` Ista Zahn
From: Ista Zahn @ 2015-02-19 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

You could use http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca/en/emacs/windows/ which comes
bundled with image support (and other stuff that you may or may not want).

@ 2015-02-20  0:33   ` Ben
From: Ben @ 2015-02-20  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

You can download the corresponding dlls from ezwinports [fn:1]
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports/files/> and put them into
emacs's `bin` directory.

There are some instructions in the "Image support" part on page [fn:2]
<https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/>.

@ 2015-02-20  1:03     ` Herbert Sitz
From: Herbert Sitz @ 2015-02-20  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Ben <yfefyf <at> gmail.com> writes:

> You can download the corresponding dlls from ezwinports [fn:1] and
put them into emacs's `bin` directory.

> There are some instructions in the "Image support" part on page [fn:2].
>
> [fn:1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports/files/
>
> [fn:2] https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/

Ben, Ista, Yuri -- Thanks for all your help.  I finally got things going by
grabbing the dll's from the ezwinports project and putting them in emacs/bin
directory.  The zlib1.dll was packaged in the libpng zip file so that was
all I needed to get my png images to show.  Like many things was simple once
I knew how to do it.

That StackOverflow answer was on point but was dated; I don't think Emacs 24
will work with the files it mentions there, which are the ones from the
GnuWin32 project.  Turns out all this info was in the Gnu Emacs for Windows
readme/install instructions.  Unfortunately I installed long time ago and
didn't recall that info, and my web searches weren't turning it up.

Thanks for all your help.

@ 2015-02-20 19:18     ` Herbert Sitz
From: Herbert Sitz @ 2015-02-20 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Ben <yfefyf <at> gmail.com> writes:

> You can download the corresponding dlls from ezwinports [fn:1] and
put them into emacs's `bin` directory.

> There are some instructions in the "Image support" part on page [fn:2].
>
> [fn:2] https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/

Strangely, the instructions and files work only for a couple formats I tried.

jpeg,png -- work perfectly

svg -- works, but so far not inline.  I.e., I can click on link and image
will show up in another Emacs buffer, but can't get it to show up inline.

tiff -- can't get this to work at all.  When clicking on it, it shows
character-mode garbage in separate buffer, along with error message.  This
is despite fact that dynamic-library-alist shows the same files as I copied
to the bin folder.

Not a huge deal for me, since jpeg and png are what I wanted most.  But
still seems a little odd; I have no idea what problems are with svg and tiff.

* Re: how to get images support in Emacs on Windows?
@ 2015-02-22 12:45       ` Ben
From: Ben @ 2015-02-22 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

I haven't tried other types except jpeg and png.

Actually, I use few inline images. Most of my images are large. They should
be resized to look pretty on emacs. But to resize them I need to build
emacs with ImageMagick. And I haven't tried that yet.

@ 2015-02-22 17:23         ` Herbert Sitz
From: Herbert Sitz @ 2015-02-22 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Ben <yfefyf <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Actually, I use few inline images. Most of my images are large.
They should be resized to look pretty on emacs. But to resize them I need to
build emacs with ImageMagick. And I haven't tried that yet.

Are you sure you need to rebuild Emacs?  On my Linux machine I run a
standard  version of Emacs 24.3 binaries that I got from the Linux Mint
repository.  It supports using (a separately installed) Imagemagick to
reduce size of inline images.  I can't get it to work automatically in
Org-mode, but I think that's because I need a more recent version of
Org-mode.  I'm running v.7.9.3f of Org-mode.

To test Imagemagick support I'm running the test code made available in this
post:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/90278

I think the original poster in that thread said he couldn't get it to work
in Org-mode until he had updated his Org-mode version.

-- Herb