* org-block-background in 8.3.1?
@ 2015-08-12  2:31 Luke Crook
From: Luke Crook @ 2015-08-12  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm not sure if I still need to set "org-block-background" in 8.3.1.

But if I do need to continue setting this, what is the new name for "org-
block-background"?

(set-face-attribute 'org-block-background nil
                    :height (round (* 0.9 (face-attribute 'fixed-pitch
:height))))
(set-face-attribute 'org-block nil
                    :height (round (* 0.9 (face-attribute 'fixed-pitch
:height))))

* Re: org-block-background in 8.3.1?
@ 2015-08-12  2:47 ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2015-08-12  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luke Crook; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Luke Crook <luke@balooga.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure if I still need to set "org-block-background" in 8.3.1.
>
> But if I do need to continue setting this, what is the new name for "org-
> block-background"?
>
> (set-face-attribute 'org-block-background nil
>                     :height (round (* 0.9 (face-attribute 'fixed-pitch
> :height))))
> (set-face-attribute 'org-block nil
>                     :height (round (* 0.9 (face-attribute 'fixed-pitch
> :height))))

org-block-background was removed in f8b42e8 ("Don't use an overlay for
src blocks backgrounds", 2014-07-28) for performance reasons.  I'm not
aware of anything that has been introduced in its place.

--
Kyle

* Re: org-block-background in 8.3.1?
@ 2015-08-12  7:44   ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2015-08-12  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Kyle Meyer <kyle-4Wn5G85RAV/QT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org> writes:
> Luke Crook <luke-bul7fGZb+kRBDgjK7y7TUQ@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> I'm not sure if I still need to set "org-block-background" in 8.3.1.
>>
>> But if I do need to continue setting this, what is the new name for "org-
>> block-background"?
>>
>> (set-face-attribute 'org-block-background nil
>>                     :height (round (* 0.9 (face-attribute 'fixed-pitch
>> :height))))
>> (set-face-attribute 'org-block nil
>>                     :height (round (* 0.9 (face-attribute 'fixed-pitch
>> :height))))
>
> org-block-background was removed in f8b42e8 ("Don't use an overlay for
> src blocks backgrounds", 2014-07-28) for performance reasons.

IIRC, we never saw a profiler report showing that it slowed down buffer
fontification in a visible way.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Really, it has been removed because of a problem when ps-print'ing an
Org buffer -- though the bug was to find in `ps-def.el' and not in Org,
as reported by Stefan Monnier [1].  It should have been fixed there
instead.

> I'm not aware of anything that has been introduced in its place.

I'm planning to reintroduce it as an optional feature.  At least in my
personal Git repository, if that's not accepted in Org core.

Best regards,
  Seb

[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2014-07/msg00403.html

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: org-block-background in 8.3.1?
@ 2015-08-12 16:55     ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2015-08-12 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Sebastien Vauban writes:
> Kyle Meyer writes:
>> org-block-background was removed in f8b42e8 ("Don't use an overlay for
>> src blocks backgrounds", 2014-07-28) for performance reasons.
>
> IIRC, we never saw a profiler report showing that it slowed down buffer
> fontification in a visible way.  Correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> Really, it has been removed because of a problem when ps-print'ing an
> Org buffer -- though the bug was to find in `ps-def.el' and not in Org,
> as reported by Stefan Monnier [1].  It should have been fixed there
> instead.

Thank you for the background information.  My comment was based solely
off the commit message for f8b42e8.

--
Kyle

* Re: org-block-background in 8.3.1?
@ 2015-08-18 17:26     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2015-08-18 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Sébastien,

Sebastien Vauban <sva-news-D0wtAvR13HarG/iDocfnWg@public.gmane.org>
writes:

> Really, it has been removed because of a problem when ps-print'ing an
> Org buffer -- though the bug was to find in `ps-def.el' and not in Org,
> as reported by Stefan Monnier [1].  It should have been fixed there
> instead.

Yes, indeed.

>> I'm not aware of anything that has been introduced in its place.
>
> I'm planning to reintroduce it as an optional feature.  At least in my
> personal Git repository, if that's not accepted in Org core.

If you can find an implementation that does not rely on overlays,
I'm fine with it - overlays have inherent scalability issues, and
I'm reluctant using them for something as pervasive as code blocks
background.

 Bastien

* Re: org-block-background in 8.3.1?
@ 2015-08-19 10:13       ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2015-08-19 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Bastien,

Bastien writes:
> Sebastien Vauban writes:
>
>> Really, it has been removed because of a problem when ps-print'ing an
>> Org buffer -- though the bug was to find in `ps-def.el' and not in
>> Org, as reported by Stefan Monnier [1].  It should have been fixed
>> there instead.
>
> Yes, indeed.
>
>>> I'm not aware of anything that has been introduced in its place.
>>
>> I'm planning to reintroduce it as an optional feature.  At least in
>> my personal Git repository, if that's not accepted in Org core.
>
> If you can find an implementation that does not rely on overlays, I'm
> fine with it - overlays have inherent scalability issues, and I'm
> reluctant using them for something as pervasive as code blocks
> background.

I don't know how to add the background color without overlays.

That's why the very first step would (have) be(en) to put it as an
optional feature, that could been disabled by those who feel that it
introduces a performance delay -- what hasn't been shown so far IIRC.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: org-block-background in 8.3.1?
@ 2015-08-19 10:29         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2015-08-19 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

writes:

> That's why the very first step would (have) be(en) to put it as an
> optional feature, that could been disabled by those who feel that it
> introduces a performance delay -- what hasn't been shown so far IIRC.

Can you provide a patch and a test?

The patch would restore the block background, turned off by default.

Then the test would show that the modified fontification functions are
not significantly slowed down with a large number of blocks.  Say e.g.
100 blocks in 100 subtrees.

Thanks!

--
 Bastien